PDA

View Full Version : Infiniti G35 questions

snoop101
11-17-2011, 05:49 PM
So I been looking at reviews and they talk about the G35 sedan is actually a decent car for the price. I got a few questions for the pro's on the board.

Is there pros other then price to go to a 03-04?

Is the 05 much different then the 04 or just a few things here and there?

Should I spend that extra money and go to a 06?

I would assume it drives like a BMW in the winter so with snow tires I should be good, but anyone have any issues in the winter?

Any other thoughts would be helpful since I have always bought BMW or Audi and no nothing about Infiniti.

unkicrackie99
11-17-2011, 07:50 PM
IIRC, the 03/04 have 260hp compared to the 05/06 sedans with 280hp or 300hp I think on the 6 speed models. The interior has a really cheap feeling to it on the earlier models.

Minor exterior and interior changes in 2005, I'm not sure if the oil consumption problem applies to the sedans but I do know the Rev-up engines in the coupes had a serious recall.

schocker
11-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Yes, the early interiors are pretty bad. I would be looking at the refreshed G35 sedan for example over the original as it was far nicer. Winter would be fine with the G35X or G37X, has the nissan awd then the snow button for 4x4.

snoop101
11-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Sounds like the 2006 and up is a lot better for me since interior is a real seller for me.

Mitsu3000gt
11-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Get a 2007+, that is when they completely redesigned them. The change is night and day - it's like a whole new car. So much better than the 2006 and older variant, inside and out.

They are fine in the winter, nearly impossible to fishtail. Winter tires and don't drive like a retard, and, like in just about every other vehicle, you'll be just fine in the winter.

You can also buy the "X" version, for AWD. The Xs wasn't available until 2008, but that would be the one to get if possible. In 2007 you could get a G35s or x, but not both.

The "S" is a much nicer car to drive, with better wheels, firmer suspension, etc. The "X" is a lot softer.

The automatic transmission in these cars is superb (rev matching downshifts and REAL paddles on the "S" variants). The 6 spd manual is pretty average, and the shifter vibrates like crazy in all the cars which really bothered me. 90%+ are sold as automatics, so that's mostly what's out there anyways.

Basically, do everything you can to get in a 2007+, and if possible, a 2008 XS.

Good luck finding a mint sample though. I looked for several months in 3 different provinces and did not find a SINGLE one up to my standards. So many of them sound amazing in the ad and are utter garbage when viewed in person. People don't seem to treat them very well. I gave up and bought a Civic, LOL.

unkicrackie99
11-17-2011, 08:15 PM
If you go for the 2007 they get even nicer, same interior as the current G37 line up.

snoop101
11-17-2011, 08:21 PM
ahh my bad.
They made them in 2006, but the actual model year is 2007.

afif
11-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Had an 04 G35 sedan. It was a charm. Treated her like a queen.

needsawhip
11-27-2011, 01:44 PM
They are not the best in the winter even with good winter tires, they eat compression rod bushings causing a very annoying squeek when you hit bumps, valve cover seal issues with rear spark plugs, PAINT SUCKS i cant stress this enough, the paint is absolute junk, chips/scratches so easy, had a very low km 04 with 3m and still sucked,

Solid bang for the $ cheaper upkeep then a 3 series, They also eat tires, and have some wiring issues,

G35driver.com is the bible for G anything ALOT of DIY sections that save you alot of $

Weapon_R
11-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Get a 2006+ version. I can't get over the sedan looks from the earlier years, but the changes in the newer models make it a much nicer and more refined car.

As for winter driving, I wouldn't unless you want to get winter tires. The car is terrible in any type of snow or cold with all seasons. The traction control is a ridiculous waste of a feature.

Decent cars though. Much better reliability than its german counterparts, and the VQ engine has a beautiful exhaust note. Don't expect Japanese reliability though, as some pretty stupid things have gone wrong on mine :banghead:

heavyD
11-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Decent cars though. Much better reliability than its german counterparts, and the VQ engine has a beautiful exhaust note. Don't expect Japanese reliability though, as some pretty stupid things have gone wrong on mine :banghead:

More reliable than German but less reliable than Japanese? What does that mean? Truth is the only really reliable Japanese manufacturer is Honda and maybe Toyota on a good day. Mazda, Subaru, Nissan, Mitsubishi are really no more reliable than domestics and some German cars.