PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between these two oils???

KRZY403
11-17-2011, 09:36 PM
So I asked my gf to pick me up some 5w-30 mobil one and she got these two jugs. The one with the blue cap $22.99 and the other $35.99. Does anyone know there is any difference between the two? Did a search but couldn't really find any answers.

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww300/anbu387/mobil.jpg

Mibz
11-17-2011, 09:47 PM
http://www.mobil.ca/Canada-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-1_5w30.aspx
http://www.mobil.ca/Canada-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-super_1000-5w30.aspx

dj_rice
11-17-2011, 09:48 PM
One is synthetic. The other isn't?

KRZY403
11-17-2011, 09:50 PM
http://www.mobil.com/Singapore-English/LCW/Products_Services/Automotive/Mobil1_5W-30.asp

Well this is what I was looking at and it seems they are both synthetic.

EDIT: Seems like you're right. One is synthetic and the new vehicle formula isn't. I just noticed that the result I got from a google search is for singapore :facepalm:
Thanks guys!

mugensix
11-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Mobil 1000 is their "basic" oil
Mobil 2000 is Semi synthetic
Mobil 1 is full synthetic.. or so they say.

i dont trust them. i hear nowadays their synthetic product is a percentage and not full synth,

BokCh0y
11-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
One is synthetic. The other isn't?

Werd.

And why would you send a woman to do a man's job??? Send her to buy the groceries dammit.

Ven
11-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by KRZY403
So I asked my gf to pick me up some 5w-30 mobil one and she got these two jugs. The one with the blue cap $22.99 and the other $35.99. Does anyone know there is any difference between the two? Did a search but couldn't really find any answers.

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww300/anbu387/mobil.jpg

You could always read the bottles. :facepalm:

I'm sorry, was that rude? I just want to kill you so much right now.

JfuckinC
11-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Ven

You could always read the bottles. :facepalm:

I'm sorry, was that rude? I just want to kill you so much right now.

lol do you ever feel sad? lonely? like you may want to take your life? You seem miserable. Depression is a serious problem..

streethondas
11-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

lol do you ever feel sad? lonely? like you may want to take your life? You seem miserable. Depression is a serious problem..

:rofl: :rofl:

imhungry
11-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Good deal on the Mobil 1, but $22.99 for Mobil Super.. Return it.

Ven
11-19-2011, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

Yes. I failed my leaner exam. :(

:D

Cos
11-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Ven

Yes. I failed my leaner exam. :(

:D

What is the leaner exam? You a bit chubby? :D

J-hop
11-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Cos

What is the leaner exam? You a bit chubby? :D

^ See the license plate sticker thread :thumbsup:

Cos
11-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

^ See the license plate sticker thread :thumbsup:

Just did, read the threads in the wrong order I guess :( I thought I was being original.

flipstah
11-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Where did she pick up the Mobil1? CHEAP!:thumbsup:

KRZY403
11-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Where did she pick up the Mobil1? CHEAP!:thumbsup:

She says she got it at Canadian tire. gonna return the cheaper one. I guess gfs can do more than grocery ship after all :D

rob the knob
11-19-2011, 05:08 PM
llolollcats wife knows same about cars as you?

Resurrected RA
11-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by KRZY403
She says she got it at Canadian tire. gonna return the cheaper one. I guess gfs can do more than grocery ship after all :D

By now having to make 2 trips, hardly a success.

Really, reading the bottles didn't allow her to ascertain a difference between the 2 bottles? Asking a salesperson didn't occur to her?

That sir is an epic fail.:poosie:

KRZY403
11-19-2011, 06:27 PM
meh It's fine with with her. ct is only a 3 min drive from home. Now she'll know for next time lol

revelations
11-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Anyone interested in 100% synthetic oil (and by that I mean a synthetic base as well as a non-mix) should avoid Mobil.

There are better choices out there (but those dont need to be discussed here).

J-hop
11-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Anyone interested in 100% synthetic oil (and by that I mean a synthetic base as well as a non-mix) should avoid Mobil.

There are better choices out there (but those dont need to be discussed here).

I always thought Mobil 1 was one of the few fully synthetic oils out there. How do you know what base they use (ie: is it group 3), I don't think they release that info to the public. I have yet to read conclusive evidence that they use a group 3 base, the only information available is mindless jabbering on forums.

But really at the end of the day whether it's a PAO or a group 3 base isn't going to matter to 99.9% of the cars on here. It just seems to be a point people enjoy arguing about without really understanding (including myself, I don't claim to know Mobil's proprietary info)

Alak
11-20-2011, 12:32 PM

I always thought Mobil 1 was one of the few fully synthetic oils out there. How do you know what base they use (ie: is it group 3), I don't think they release that info to the public. I have yet to read conclusive evidence that they use a group 3 base, the only information available is mindless jabbering on forums.

But really at the end of the day whether it's a PAO or a group 3 base isn't going to matter to 99.9% of the cars on here. It just seems to be a point people enjoy arguing about without really understanding (including myself, I don't claim to know Mobil's proprietary info)

Synthetic Oil is a pretty vague term these days. There's so many formula and additive combinations. People just use whatever they think is best for them.

Where most people fuck up, is with the weight of oil they run.

heavyfuel
11-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Real synthetic? One word. Motul.

J-hop
11-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Real synthetic? One word. Motul.

Yea motul seems to use group 4 PAO and even group 5 ester bases. Except for their 6100 which according to their site is not a true synthetic (group 3 base)

Zero102
11-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Based on VOA and pour point people over at BITOG have deduced that Mobil 1 is currently a group III synthetic, the people who produce it refuse to comment on this.
If you are interested in having the absolute best you should go with a group IV/V synthetic, but realistically a group III will do just fine. The pour point of most group III's is only a couple degrees higher than group IV/V, and it is still miles below most conventionals. The hot performance is again very similar to group IV/V and vastly different from most conventional oils.

Personally I don't care that it is a group III, I use it anyway.

CapnCrunch
11-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Mobil is fine. Group 3 or group 4, who cares? Most people don't even know what that means. Nobody here owns a vehicle that would notice a difference using one or the other.

zipdoa
11-21-2011, 07:51 PM
The R35 GT-R runs Mobil 1 0W40 EuroSpec as a factory fill