PDA

View Full Version : license sticker question

alberta_gamer
11-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Is it a good idea to put this year's sticker on top of last year's sticker? Is it better to peel off the old one first to make sure the new one stays on? Can those things peel off?

Thanks.

Kloubek
11-17-2011, 10:36 PM
They don't peel easily. As long as you make sure the old one is clean and dry, the new one generally works out ok. Warm it up if you can though - nothing adhesive likes sticking in the cold.

J-hop
11-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Yea don't try to peel the old one off, it is very difficult and chances are you'll be left with bits of adhesive which will reduce the ability of the new sicker to stick.

Also as I'm sure you are aware make sure you follow the extremely basic pictorial they include with the sticker on where to put the sticker (the new one should not go over last years sticker).

I can't count the number of people I see that don't understand where to put the stickers (even though they provide you with a diagram a 2 year old could figure out). The worst I saw was someone with the month in a year spot. :facepalm:

88CRX
11-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Saw one the other day and they had the last decade scattered all over the plate in random spots haha.

Ven
11-18-2011, 10:38 AM
It's incredible how people can fuck up something so simple as sticker placement, even with a set of written and pictorial directions.

I saw a car with year stickers all in a row extending from one side right across to the other. How this person manage to read and pass even the leaner exam is beyond me.

JustinMCS
11-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by J-hop
Also as I'm sure you are aware make sure you follow the extremely basic pictorial they include with the sticker on where to put the sticker (the new one should not go over last years sticker).

I can't count the number of people I see that don't understand where to put the stickers (even though they provide you with a diagram a 2 year old could figure out). The worst I saw was someone with the month in a year spot. :facepalm:

Glad I am not the only one who hates this kind of thing. I cannot understand at ALL why people can't follow instruction, or, if they don't know where it goes, why don't they find out rather than just guessing?

Look at this one I found the other day:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5076/stupidacuraowner.jpg

JustinMCS
11-18-2011, 10:51 AM
But to also answer the OP's question, I take the time to remove the old sticker, clean it with goo gone, and then put on the new one. I like it neat and I don't like seeing the old sticker behind the new one.

And I only buy stickers in the 2 year variety so that I can always have the month and the year on the same side of the plate. IE, 08, 10, 12, 14. I don't like have a sticker on the right side.

YamaLube
11-18-2011, 10:55 AM
^^^ type "A" much. Is your closet arranged by color or mood? DVD's by genre.....etc

colsankey
11-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Ven
t's incredible how people can fuck up something so simple as sticker placement, even with a set of written and pictorial directions.

I saw a car with year stickers all in a row extending from one side right across to the other. How this person manage to read and pass even the leaner exam is beyond me.

:rofl:

Zero102
11-18-2011, 01:01 PM
I see the stack of stickers as a mark of experience. I always renew 1 year at a time and on my oldest plate they are stacked 5 high on each side :D

Never had one even start to peel off after many many car washes and winters of salt. Just make sure it is warm, clean and dry underneath and don't touch the sticky stuff.

lilmira
11-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Shouldn't we revoke the license from anyone who couldn't follow a simple instruction?

If simply placing a sticker on a small plate in the location as illustrated on a diagram is a challenge to you, there is no hope of you maneuvering a ton of steel through traffic moving in every direction all around while following traffic signals. It's just not possible.

Ven
11-19-2011, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by colsankey

:rofl:

You got me. Guess I should have studied harder for my leaner exam :(

:D

frozenrice
11-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
I see the stack of stickers as a mark of experience. I always renew 1 year at a time and on my oldest plate they are stacked 5 high on each side :D

Never had one even start to peel off after many many car washes and winters of salt. Just make sure it is warm, clean and dry underneath and don't touch the sticky stuff.

I've had my one car since 1995. That's 8 stickers per side. Never had a problem with the stickers comng off.

Black Gts
11-20-2011, 12:31 PM
You can boil the sticker off. That's as far ill go with that though

guessboi
11-20-2011, 01:05 PM
LOL. Yeah you can tell if a person is stupid just by looking at their license plate. :rofl:

Zero102
11-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

I've had my one car since 1995. That's 8 stickers per side. Never had a problem with the stickers comng off.

8 per side? That's gotta be a high score :D
You have me beat

toastgremlin
11-21-2011, 12:52 PM
It's too bad they don't let you do it on whatever side you want. If it were legal, I'd put the sticker of the year I got the plate on one side, and then keep updating the other side so it shows off how old the plate is.

This thread reassures me that I'm not the only person who notices when people have poorly applied/expired tags on their plate.

Would cops even do anything if they noticed your tags were in the wrong spot? It seems kind of onerous to give you a fix-it ticket to remove all the stickers and go get new ones (which might even include a re-registration if they don't just let you get new ones - which I can't imagine they would).

Xtrema
11-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by JustinMCS
But to also answer the OP's question, I take the time to remove the old sticker, clean it with goo gone, and then put on the new one. I like it neat and I don't like seeing the old sticker behind the new one.

And I only buy stickers in the 2 year variety so that I can always have the month and the year on the same side of the plate. IE, 08, 10, 12, 14. I don't like have a sticker on the right side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder

firebane
11-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Myself I come from BC and there is only one sticker.

So this whole double sticker thing and insurance stuff Alberta does takes a bit to get used to :P

I really never noticed or knew this until I read this thread :P