PDA

View Full Version : Ride to Conquer Cancer

Pages : [1] 2

lilmira
11-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Thinking about doing it next year.

Has anyone done it before? How was the experience?

I just started riding not too long ago so I'll definitely need to work on my legs if I decide to do it. I got the info package from them and it looks like a fun thing to do for a good cause.

Artega
11-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Take it from me who went from a couch potato to marathoner in 6 months.
Don't think too much about how difficult it is.
You have to be willing to accept that the training will be difficult but you are doing it for a great cause.

The experience will be awesome if you immerse yourself into how beneficial it is and how many people you are helping.

If you enjoy this event, doing it again. If you didn't, then do another event.
but don't wait on joining such a great cause.

swak
11-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Dont worry about the distance too too much.
Anyone relatively in shape should be able to do this on a bike. Its all mental.

ive never personally done it, but i know they have tons of support for riders during the whole thing.

Definitely go for it!

lilmira
11-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Haha, I'm not too worry about the physical part. I'm no where near a marathon runner but I'm not a couch potato neither. It will take some work for sure and there is a lot of time to get my legs back.

I just don't want to be stuck at a poorly organized event for two days. Most reviews are pretty positive so it sounds like it will be good. Now I just need some people to go with me as a team. Anyone here doing it this year?

megavolt
11-22-2011, 12:09 PM
I signed up last month. Haven't done it before. Someone in my company put together a team.

I cycle to work every day year round (35K round trip) but I've never done any LONG rides. Going to have to train myself in that area in the spring.

I'm 100% sure I can do this, but I'm still psyching myself out.

My biggest concern is riding my hybrid. I asked and they said a lot of people ride hybrids, even mountain bikes. But most ride road bikes. I realize that the ride will likely be a lot easier on a road bike, so I'm probably going to be looking for a used one.

bigboom
11-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by megavolt
I signed up last month. Haven't done it before. Someone in my company put together a team.

I cycle to work every day year round (35K round trip) but I've never done any LONG rides. Going to have to train myself in that area in the spring.

I'm 100% sure I can do this, but I'm still psyching myself out.

My biggest concern is riding my hybrid. I asked and they said a lot of people ride hybrids, even mountain bikes. But most ride road bikes. I realize that the ride will likely be a lot easier on a road bike, so I'm probably going to be looking for a used one.

if you have a hybrid and don't really want a road bike all you need to do is change your tires to some 23 or 25c tires and it'll be almost as good as a road bike. no need to buy a new bike for it.

lilmira
11-22-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm riding a hybrid too with 700c (29er?) hopefully that helps.

I want to do it so much now hopefully I can find a few people to go with me.

megavolt
11-22-2011, 03:40 PM
I know it will be okay... the question just keeps lingering in the back of my head, how much better would it be. I've never been on a road bike.

Maybe just trying to justify getting a new bike. :D

gogreen
11-22-2011, 03:44 PM
I've participated in the last 3 rides (including the inaugural Alberta ride), but I'm taking a break from it for 2012.

You don't need to be concerned about the organization of it, as it's a very well-supported event. It's always been well-staffed with volunteers, so you pretty much show up and ride. They set up the tents at camp, supply food and water at pitstops, provide breakfast, lunch and supper, and do basic bike maintenance if you need it. And there are always support vehicles travelling the route, so if you find you can't continue you can get transported to the next pitstop. If you can do 25-35 km at a time you'll likely be okay as that's the typical distance between pits.

Typically the fundraising is the tough part, but at last year's event the weather on day 2 was about 4 or 5 deg C with rain and heavy wind, so it was more grueling than usual. In all honesty it really kicked my ass because I had a hard time fitting in enough training time before the event, just because I was so busy with other projects. I still finished though. :)

So my advice is to train as much as you can on hills and do longer rides to build endurance. You'll want to work up to being able to do back-to-back long rides a few weeks before the event. Say 80 km one day, followed by 40 or so the next. Cross training is good too (skiing, snowboarding, running, hockey, etc.). Keep a log and set goals. And remember, you don't need to be quick, just efficient.

Hybrid bikes are fine. I did it on a steel mountain bike with 1.25" high-pressure tires, but I've seen just about everything including singlespeed dirt jump bikes, beach cruisers, recumbents, and full-suspension bikes with 2.35" tires. Just make sure your bike fits comfortably and give'r! :D

And if you're in the NW or NE, check out Team One Aim. I joined up with them last year. They do weekly rides that start at the Tuscany club, and rides out to Bragg Creek and back, and being part of a team really helps with fundraising. You can find info on other teams and training rides on the RTCC website too.

lilmira
11-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Cool! Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

Is it possible to find out the route at this time? Can't find it anywhere.

gogreen
11-22-2011, 05:36 PM
They don't officially announce it until a month or so before the event, but the last two years it has started at Spruce Meadows.

Last year's route went to Chain Lakes campground and back. We went south from Spruce Meadows, through High River, then west to Hwy 22 (Cowboy Trail). We then turned south and went all the way down to Chain Lakes to camp. On day 2 we headed back north on 22, through Longview/Black Diamond/Turner Valley. The final leg was east on 22X (thankfully accompanied by a nice westerly tailwind) back to Spruce Meadows.

'09 was similar, only it included the giant climb from Nanton to Chain Lakes. '08 also went south on 22, but it was a one-way route ending near Lundbreck.

So expect long climbs with side- and headwinds. ;)

lilmira
11-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Wow, it goes pretty far. You are right though, the fundraising part is pretty aggressive, no wonder they can raise so much every year. It looks like I"m gonna need more time to do that than to train my body for the ride.

gogreen
11-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Yup, they advertise it as 200 km over the 2 days, but it's always been slightly over, usually 215-ish. When I first signed up for '09 I hadn't been on my bike for several years, and wasn't a road rider by any means. You'll see riders of all abilities and body types, along with cancer survivors just weeks removed from chemo. It's really quite inspiring if you think about it.

My best advice regarding training would be to start early and make sure you have a bike that fits. I saw lots of novice riders struggling due to improper fit (sore knees, shoulders, back, etc). I'd also suggest working on your cycling technique as efficient pedaling will really help. The Ride does provide a lot of info in this regard, and they have "Ride Guides" that you can phone up if you have any questions regarding training. And they also make arrangements with bike shops where they'll offer a discount on gear.

As for fundraising, again, start early! It can be tough with all the other causes and events out there (Underwear Affair, MS Bike Tour, various runs and walks), but don't be afraid to ask friends, family, and coworkers for donations. A good thing to do is ask for a donation in lieu of a Christmas or birthday gift. Also, if you do join a team you can get in on group fundraising, and funds can be directed to the team members who have yet to reach their minimum. Which is nice, because some people have an easy time with it, while others struggle. One member was 17 so didn't really have a lot of sources of donations, while others were more established (doctors, accountants, real estate agents, etc.) and had a lot of contacts to draw from. We also had some bbq's and bake sales. I certainly don't know a lot of rich folks, but I've always made the $2500 minimum. So it's definitely achievable if you take it seriously. :)

megavolt, to answer your question regarding road bikes, they do have a definite aerodynamic, weight, and gearing advantage over mountain bikes and hybrids. The route is always windy, so an upright position can be a bit of a bear! If you are thinking about getting a new one, just make sure to log plenty of miles on it before the event so it's set up comfortably and you're familiar with it. Particularly if you intend to go with clipless pedals for the first time! There are always multiple low-speed falls involving people who forget to unclip. ;)

megavolt
11-23-2011, 11:51 AM
I've been riding clipless for a year now. :) Had a few falls at first. Trying to get my friend into it but he's afraid of looking dumb. :rofl:

lilmira
11-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Clipless is awesome. Having both feet secured to the pedals give me much more confidence when pedaling hard. It's a bit intimidating at the beginning with the thought that I may not be able to remove my feet from the pedals when needed. I got used to it within a couple days, now it's quite natural to get off by twisting my foot slightly. I did fall the first day when I stopped for the first time, totally slipped my mind, luckily no one saw :D .

megavolt
02-10-2012, 10:30 AM
So who all has signed up and how's your fundraising going? Also who has tips for fundraising/training?

So far I've got $622 raised and I just started asking this week.

lilmira
02-10-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm not doing it this year. Couldn't find anyone to do it with me. I really want to do it though.

Had they not set the minimum amount that high, I would do it on my own even if I couldn't find anyone to go with me.

98type_r
02-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
I'm not doing it this year. Couldn't find anyone to do it with me. I really want to do it though.

Had they not set the minimum amount that high, I would do it on my own even if I couldn't find anyone to go with me.

There are plenty of other rides you can do that don't have a fundraising requirement. Personally I don't like that there is a $2500 minimum to participate, but that's just my $.02

http://www.granfondorockies.ca/
60, 100, 140 or 170km distances
all you have to do it register and pay up

lilmira
02-10-2012, 12:17 PM
That's interesting. I'll definitely look into it.

gogreen
02-10-2012, 01:56 PM
So who all has signed up and how's your fundraising going? Also who has tips for fundraising/training?

So far I've got $622 raised and I just started asking this week.

Well done. That's awesome! You're well on your way.

The $2500 minimum is daunting, but totally doable. I didn't have any experience in fundraising when I did my first Ride but I did okay for three years in a row.

One tip I have is simple: donate to your own campaign if you haven't already. It's a tax deduction for you as well, and if you donate $100 of your own money I think it tends to inspire people to follow suit. It shows you're committed to it and sets the bar at a good level. Then you just need 24 more people to give $100. ;)

Another thing, if people ask when the deadline for the fundraising is, don't tell them that it's the day of the event (though you can drop off last-minute donations at the event). Instead, find out when the deadline is for getting your rider package in the mail (the package consists of your jersey, nameplates, wristband, etc.). If you don't get all your donations in before that date, you need to either pick up the package at the Ride office (which is in downtown Calgary) or get it the day of the event. Although last year you could pick everything up the day before at Spruce Meadows.

Getting it the day of the event can be a major pain. It's much better to have everything in advance so you can just show up, grab some breakfast, and be ready to rock and roll. :)

msommers
02-11-2012, 12:57 AM
I just signed up for it this year! I'm terrible at asking people for money, it is something I just do not do well. However I can get some people to donate but if not I think I'll just front the remainder required.

Hope you see you guys out there!

TYMSMNY
02-11-2012, 05:19 AM
^ same here. Just signed up and ready to ride!

Beyond RCC training ride! lol.

Mtn Tow
02-15-2012, 11:52 PM

swak
02-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Mtn Tow
I clicked to sign up. They want A LOT of info. I pressed [x].

If someone else wants a rider and will do the paperwork and fund collections, I'll go.

Hell...

With the right incentive, I'll try it on a mtn or trials bike. :D

I know of a guy who did it once on a fully mtn bike... Guys a moron though.. But i can imagine it being a shit ride.

BUT... If you actually did go on a trials bike, id definitely support you on that!! Hell, if need be i'd let you use a bmx (25-11 geared only though) and a slammed seat. :poosie:

Mtn Tow
02-16-2012, 12:09 AM

swak
02-16-2012, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Mtn Tow
I have a P2, BMX would be freaking rough but i knew a guy when i was a courier that would do it. Not on anything but a BMX either! Nut.

That just negates everything i said earlier.... No Road bike for this for you haha

Mtn Tow
02-16-2012, 12:21 AM

swak
02-16-2012, 12:30 AM
As long as its not on that pussified bike path there, I'd respect that (no different from a bragg creek ride from here tho... Just nicer).

Mtn Tow
02-16-2012, 12:38 AM

swak
02-16-2012, 12:50 AM
Wait is this a cervelo P2 or Specialized?

I was thinking Cervelo......
But I hear ya there, feel the same when passing kitted out roadies on my not so fancy commuter. Priceless... But you gotta remember riding fast 100% of the time shouldn't be your daily goal on your training plan, so needs to be considered...

Mtn Tow
02-16-2012, 01:02 AM

gogreen
02-20-2012, 11:42 AM
I have seen it done on a bike similar to a P2. Singlespeed dirt jump bike of some sort. ;)

I've also seen old 3-speed cruisers, an "ellipti-bike", and one fellow with a car tire and steel rim tied down to his rear rack.

megavolt
05-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Done my fundraising! :D

Been on quite a few long training rides.

Last one was 82km on Sunday and 105km on Monday.

Then played hockey Tuesday night and donated blood on Wednesday.

I'm feeling pretty tired this week.

gogreen
06-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Nice work!

Sounds like the Ride itself is going to pretty much be just another training ride for you. ;)

msommers
06-04-2012, 01:59 PM
I really need to get out riding more. I'm a little worried I might not make it :rofl:

I'm a terrible fundraiser and ended up paying for most of it. See you guys out there!

TYMSMNY
06-04-2012, 02:04 PM
We'll have a beyond race pack going... you won't be left behind.

Anyone doing the Vancouver to Banff ride for CF? 9 days, 1200km.

megavolt
06-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
Anyone doing the Vancouver to Banff ride for CF? 9 days, 1200km.

OMFG.... I'm just getting used to the idea of ~200km.... THAT'S NUTS!

msommers
06-17-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure if I didn't get an email or am missing it in the manual but come saturday, what time are we starting and where the hell do we go?! I remember reading somewhere they want you to drop off your bike friday night but I can't seem to find it again and if it mentions where.

What's the norm for this? Do you do 100km straight through or stop awhile for this lunch they mention? Just curious what to expect.

TYMSMNY
06-18-2012, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by msommers
I'm not sure if I didn't get an email or am missing it in the manual but come saturday, what time are we starting and where the hell do we go?! I remember reading somewhere they want you to drop off your bike friday night but I can't seem to find it again and if it mentions where.

What's the norm for this? Do you do 100km straight through or stop awhile for this lunch they mention? Just curious what to expect.

There's a few pit stops along the way, expect line ups. There will be food, bevvies, and snacks at the stops.

BIKE DROP OFF
Friday, June 22, 2012

Spruce Meadows, Lot 4
18011 Spruce Meadows Way SW
Calgary AB T2J 5G5
2:00pm - 7:00pm

EVENT SCHEDULE AND DETAILS

OPENING CEREMONIES: SATURDAY, JUNE 23, 2012
Spruce Meadows 18011 Spruce Meadows Way Southwest
Calgary, AB
GPS coordinates: N50.8903, W-114.0941
Select here for directions.

BREAKFAST AND GEAR DROP-OFF
- 6:30am 7:30am Gear drop-off and continental breakfast served.
- 6:30am 7:30am Onsite check-in begins for those who have not checked in online. If you have not received your packet in the mail, please make sure to pick it up on Saturday morning. If planning to check in onsite, please arrive early to avoid missing Opening Ceremonies. Opening Ceremonies will begin promptly at 8:00am.
- 7:15am All participants should be onsite.
- 8:00am Opening Ceremonies begin.

CAMP
Chain Lakes Provincial Park
Intersection of Hwy 533 & 22
GPS Coordinates: N50.2040, W-114,1793

msommers
06-18-2012, 01:40 AM
Mega fail on my part, didn't see they updated the website. Thanks though!

TYMSMNY
06-18-2012, 01:41 AM
NP. See you there!!!...... whoever you are. :D

edit: If beyonder's want to meetup prior to or at camp, I'd be game. be nice to put some faces to some usernames. :burnout:

msommers
06-18-2012, 02:05 AM
Yeah definitely. I'll have my cellphone and would prefer to meet up at camp. PM me for my number.

megavolt
06-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Is there cell service at Chain Lakes? I remember driving hwy22 and losing reception a lot.

Edit: looks like Bell/Telus only has reception at the very south end of the park... so I wouldn't count on having reception out there.

I'll be the tall guy wearing a --- jersey (company jersey) on the ride.

2 days riding in the rain is going to be all kinds of awesome...

msommers
06-20-2012, 12:56 PM
I drive the route yesterday and it doesn't look too terrible but there are a few rolling sections and a decent climb right at the end. Yeah the rain is going to be great...

I'm on telus and had reception once I was there but was spotty on the 22.

megavolt
06-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Is it sad that I'm constantly refreshing the weather forecast page to see if it's changed for the weekend?

msommers
06-21-2012, 01:41 PM
At least we won't have too worry much about keeping hydrated haha.

megavolt
06-21-2012, 01:42 PM
You'd be surprised... I find that when I'm riding in the rain I forget to drink, which leads to trouble.

HHURICANE1
06-21-2012, 02:01 PM
When it's cold/wet make to sure to force yourself to drink regularly. You can still dehydrate and not realize it until it is to late.

gogreen
06-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Is there cell service at Chain Lakes? I remember driving hwy22 and losing reception a lot.

Edit: looks like Bell/Telus only has reception at the very south end of the park... so I wouldn't count on having reception out there.

Camp is usually set up on the south end of the park so you should be fine. I'm on Telus, and I was able to use my phone at camp without any issues.

Shlade
06-22-2012, 12:14 AM
Wishing everybody good luck on the ride! Hopefully we dont get rained on too too much!

msommers
06-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Just dropped off my bike and I'm not really sure why they want you to. Getting your bike is going to be a shit show tomorrow morning!

Shlade
06-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Yeah itll be a pain in the ass... What time are you showing up there?

Im hoping to be up there by 7 to have everything prepared and drop my bag off

msommers
06-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Thinking the same thing as you. Just packing up the last few things in my bag now and hoping to get a decent sleep!

TYMSMNY
06-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Have a good ride everyone, be safe!

msommers, check pm for cell number.

Darkane
06-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Went this morning to see my woman off. She's riding with the mcmurray force team. Good riding all!

swak
06-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Its wet out there boys....
Have a good ride!

Darkane
06-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by swak
Its wet out there boys....
Have a good ride!

Not to bad. Actually it hasn;t rained in the south since 9am. (Evergreen).

The riders should be at Chain lake by now. Looked to be ok weather for it!

ganesh
06-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Finished the ride.
The weather was not plesant at all. Rain started after my 3rd pit stop and didn't stop at all. It rained all night. Over all it is a good ride and it is all for a good cause.
I am in for next year.

msommers
06-24-2012, 07:37 PM
The weather during the ride was actually ideal. Not too hot, no bugs, little to no wind, rain was pretty
sporadic except for the end of both days. Camp last night was soggy and muddy as hell. I didn't have
to share my tent which is probably great for my potential tentmate as there was a big pool of water on
the other side! The countryside is gorgeous, I really enjoyed the scenery. Thought the event was well
organized and supper was pretty good!

Left achilles is mega sore, icing it now, left knee was acting up a bit too. Looked into it and will probably
check my stroke on that side more and go in for a fitting. Now that I've ridden more this summer I can
go in with areas for them to watch for or coach me on better technique.

And I made it! Trying to upload my Garmin now for my times but it was definitely not competitive timing
anyways haha. From some reason it won't recognize the device now, worked plenty of times previous to this.

TYMSMNY, I got your number before I took off yesterday but I couldn't get any cell service. I think I was
in bed easily by 9:00 anyways!

Congrats to all the riders, crew and volunteers

Shlade
06-25-2012, 02:20 PM
First day was good... Started off as a cold morning leaving but warmed up pretty quick once I started riding.

Night at camp was a nightmare... Tent leaked like a bitch.. Managed to sleep like 1 hour before waking up to my feet being drenched and my sleeping bag COVERED in water, my hoodie was completely drenched, buddy of mine was working as a truck driver for the crew and decided to sleep in a truck, I ran around for like 20 min trying to find him to warm up at like 1230am.. Needless to say I couldnt do the second day as my biking shoes, spare set of biking shorts, and shirt were covered in water and I was on the break of hyperthermia almost.

Really wish they set the camp up a little better... Im not one to complain for things like these but this was a terrible terrible setup... Guarentee 90% of the riders will have a cold after this.

Awesome job to everybody that went and rode!

megavolt
06-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Only 2 things I didn't like about the ride.

1) The tents of course. Shittiest tent I've ever been in and of course not set up right so it was leaking like a bitch. Could go into a whole story about that but basically we slept a little bit and everything was wet by morning. So bringing my own tent next year because a) it doesn't leak and b) I know how to set it up and give a shit.

2) All the freakin cyclists... Man some people were being dumb on the road. Whatever.

Still signed up for next year. :P

Shlade
06-25-2012, 03:12 PM
I agree with some of the cyclists... Some of them just werent paying ANY attention and flying in and out of lanes...

Me and 2 of my buddies were on mountain bikes with road tires... Everybody kept riding beside us laughing and saying good luck haha Was a fun ride though!!

msommers
06-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Yeah some people had no idea what the hell single file meant! If I do this next year, I may take the advice some ladies gave me - stay at the hotel. Bringing your own tent sounds like a good idea too.

Or you can be those guys that partied like hell and passed out on the stage. They were probably the warmest and driest out of anyone!

megavolt
06-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Like full DH bikes? Buddy of mine took the 29er tires off his and put 700c tires on. Did an hour better than me each day but he's an animal.

swak
06-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Yeah some people had no idea what the hell single file meant!

Main reason why i steer away from these types of rides as much as possible (and am kinda selective on who i ride with).

Road riding is all about having confidence in the riders next/in-front and behind you (that they're not crossing your wheel).
Sounds like a rad time though from people i've been talking to who have done it though... Rad work boys! (and girls?)

TYMSMNY
06-26-2012, 07:40 AM

TYMSMNY, I got your number before I took off yesterday but I couldn't get any cell service. I think I was
in bed easily by 9:00 anyways!

Congrats to all the riders, crew and volunteers

No problem, I had a hot shower, dinner, put my clothes in the drying tent, and crashed. lol.

It was a mudfest at camp but that's what it's all about. Rain or shine, take it as is. Unfortunately I had to soak up a puddle of water in the tent when we got there and the bonus was that it was set up on a big rock LOL.

Best part of the whole ride.... going through the "lake" on the way back. :nut:

Registered for 2013! thanks to the crew and volunteers for being extremely helpful at the pit stops/camp/intersections.

:thumbsup:

gogreen
06-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Looks like overall ridership was down this year compared to the previous events. I received some emails fairly early on saying that registration was full, but they must have had a lot of people drop out or not raise enough money because I got another email about a month ago offering a discounted rate for registration. So they must have been a bit short. I suspect a lot of people who rode for the first time last year were scared off by the miserable conditions we had on Day 2, which weren't as bad as this year judging from the photos I've seen (at least our tents started out dry!).

All the freakin cyclists... Man some people were being dumb on the road. Whatever.

Indeed. There's a reason they make you watch the safety video, but I think a lot of people just forget everything as soon as they're done watching it, lol.

Congrats to everyone who participated all the same. Great job!

msommers
06-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Where are there photos of the event?

The hill just before Longview had a photographer lying down at the crest and man, I'd hate to see my face in that photo!

megavolt
06-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Photo page isn't up yet.

http://www.conquercancerphotos.com/

Darkane
06-27-2012, 02:13 PM
I shuttled some riders back and forth from Chain lakes to Calgary and back again to finish bright and early in the AM.

The tents sounded like a nightmare. good work to all the riders, but seriously some fucking idiots were using the WHOLE LANE riding 3-4 a breast.

So many times I had to slow down to 30 and one of my tires was off the pavement so a tractor trailer truck could get by. The riders didn't give a fuck and rode like they owned the road.

megavolt
06-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
some fucking idiots were using the WHOLE LANE riding 3-4 a breast. ... The riders didn't give a fuck and rode like they owned the road.

Exactly what I was talking about.

msommers
06-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks for coming out to help though, Angelo. I'm sure there were plenty of folks happy to see you! What were you driving?

TYMSMNY
06-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Any one know if the chip timing actually worked and if so, where are the logs?

edit: also anyone know what happened to some guys bike near the finish? He walked across the finish line with a severely bent frame... and no wheels.......

megavolt
06-28-2012, 08:36 AM
I think they just used the chips to identify you as you came across the finish line so they could say your name and play a video if anyone submitted one for you. Pretty sure they didn't actually time us.

I saw a guy walking with a carbon frame in pieces, front wheel bent to shit and missing back wheel. No idea what happened though.

Heard something about a guy getting hit by a truck trailer and dragged for a bit, broke his wrist. This was from my wife who was working pit.

msommers
06-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Pics are up for those interested.

Not sure if those were actually timers or not, didn't bother since I used my Garmin. About 10 people have uploaded their times on Strava. Some people did 3.5hrs per day!

gogreen
06-28-2012, 12:22 PM
I think they just used the chips to identify you as you came across the finish line so they could say your name and play a video if anyone submitted one for you. Pretty sure they didn't actually time us.

I saw a guy walking with a carbon frame in pieces, front wheel bent to shit and missing back wheel. No idea what happened though.

Heard something about a guy getting hit by a truck trailer and dragged for a bit, broke his wrist. This was from my wife who was working pit.

That's new. I think they used to just have spotters reading nameplates and relaying the names to the announcer as riders neared the line.

And yikes! Scary stuff out there sometimes...

megavolt
06-28-2012, 01:21 PM
I did 4.5hours moving time both days, which is kind of disappointing for the 2nd day.

swak
06-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Pics are up for those interested.

Not sure if those were actually timers or not, didn't bother since I used my Garmin. About 10 people have uploaded their times on Strava. Some people did 3.5hrs per day!

Garmin link to ride stats???? :thumbsup:

megavolt
06-28-2012, 02:56 PM
My Day 1 (http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/map#megavolt007/Cycling/665190)
Day 2 (http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/detail/megavolt007/Cycling/665191)

I use SportsTrackLive on my Android phone to track my rides.

msommers
06-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by swak

Garmin link to ride stats???? :thumbsup:

Nothing spectacular. Not sure why speed and cadence don't show up.

http://www.strava.com/rides/de-winton-ab-canada-11677371

Definitely learned some things like proper gearing which is nice. Saddle was pretty good for the most part, only adjusting a handful of times per day. Hands were not tingly at all which I was stoked on as it happened quite often even on shorter rides before. I think the one pair of gloves I have contribute to it. They have a lot more gel compared to the ones I used which probably don't have any which really seems counterintuitive.

Definitely more confident in my riding and eager to get back out once this stupid achilles stops swelling.

lilmira
12-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Screw cancer, just found out my best friend's got it. I'm doing it this year for sure, group or solo.

lilmira
12-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Signed up and half way with fundraising. Merry X'mas to everybody! Yeeha!

msommers
12-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend, any idea what stage they're at? It wasn't until that morning of the race when I saw someone who just finished or was in chemo crying in someone's arms right in front of me as the race started that I knew it was for a good cause. I almost cried that morning and even now I feel kind of emotional thinking of it. The whole thing is a pretty big emotional roller coaster because you see so many skill levels and everyone is out there givin er'. I remember passing this one really overweight guy and on the back of his shirt said "This one's for you dad" and he had a picture of his dad attached to his handlebars to look at. I was definitely one of the younger people out there, most I would say are 30-40+.

Regarding the race, the route is beautiful and I've often thought about doing it again just for the sake of doing it. That said, the camp situation was an absolute nightmare and would strongly encourage you to bring your own tent in your luggage, or get a room in a neighboring town. The food was endless and quite good and all the stops had plenty of gatorade, water, snacks etc. The people cheering on the road are just stellar.

I really want to do it again but it cost me $2,000 to do it because I suck at fundraising haha.

lilmira
12-17-2012, 05:11 PM
I think it's relatively early stage since it's only in one area by his heart. It took me by surprise. You don't feel the impact until it is that close to you. He's a young and healthy guy by all means with no history of such in the family so it could have been me. I watched some of the videos on youtube and you could tell most people there have been affected by cancer one way or another. It's just terrible. Hopefully I can get a few people to ride with me but I'm in regardless.

Looks like they are changing the course this year as well, west to Bragg Creek then south to Okotoks. I hope the weather will be better this year but it's still nothing compared to what cancer patients have to go through.

Yeah I agree the fundraising part is intimidating. I'm half way now so I'm not too worried. Definitely a good idea to start early. So what do they do if you don't make the minimum?

mork
12-17-2012, 10:14 PM
I am at 1600 (actually i was at the end of Oct) but have really laid off the fund raising lately.

Shock to me was how few co-workers chipped in so far. Our co-worker died form brain cancer about 3 months ago.

lilmira
12-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Well, people can have lots of reasons to not donate. I'll appreciate the ones who do. Who knows, may be they are already doing their share without you knowing right?

ExtraSlow
12-18-2012, 07:16 AM
Yeah, many people donate to a cause that is particularly close to thier heart. I've lost realtives to both cancer and stroke, so I tend to focus on those deseases.

At the same time, some of these "big" events are very expensive to put on. I've never looked into the Ride to Conquer Cancer, but I do know that the "wekeend to end breast cancer" takes something like 75% of all donations under $10k and 50% of anything over that. They don't make a "profit" exactly, but a lot of people get paid. If those donations all went t directly to the Alberta Cancer Society, millions more would get to the resarchers.

lilmira
12-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Couldn't find the numbers. I wouldn't be surprise if it's in the 25% range. Even if people volunteer their time, there is still a lot of stuff to be paid for, food, tents, misc. rental equipment, logistics. Be honest, for an event as big as this, it takes a lot of work to put it all together. Sometimes it's just better to pay someone who knows what they are doing to do the job. If people have free time to volunteer and know what they are doing, I don't think the board will refuse their service to cut overhead cost. Bottom line, it takes money to make money even for charity.

corsvette
03-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Decided I'm going to give it a go and sign myself up for the ride this year.

Thinking of either buying a good used road/hybrid, my Stumpjumper M2 hardtail hardly the best rig for this type of event, even though I've done 80+km pavement days on knobby tires I highly doubt I'd be up for a day two.

lilmira
03-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Good for you, I'll see ya there!

roopi
03-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Do you have a link to your donation page?

lilmira
03-13-2013, 09:22 PM
http://www.conquercancer.ca/site/TR/Events/Alberta2013?px=3163203&pg=personal&fr_id=1452

msommers
04-01-2013, 12:38 AM
Anyone looking to do a bike fundraiser but with significantly less money required to do it, check out the MS Bike Tours. Lots of different locations. Reg $60, Min. Fundraising $275. I think I'm doing the one in Canmore.

http://msbiketours.ca/

For those doing the RTCC, good luck and enjoy the route!

lilmira
04-24-2013, 03:38 PM
whew! Hit the mark today. Now I have to work my legs, may start riding this weekend with the nice forecast.

See you guys there in Jun!

megavolt
04-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Good job!

If any more beyonders would like to donate I will gladly accept them. :D

http://www.conquercancer.ca/site/TR/Events/Alberta2013?px=2861739&pg=personal&fr_id=1452

lilmira
05-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Did the kick off ride from Edworthy to springbank and back. It was a pretty good climb. I'm glad that I didn't have to stop regardless of how slow I was making my way up. I blame my heavy bike lol. Almost ready for the ride, six weeks to go!

megavolt
06-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Only a couple of days to go!

Still a ways from my fundraising goal but signed in anyway. I'm sure I'll make up the rest in 2 months.

Replaced the brakes and rear shift cable on my bike and lubed it all up. Still going to change out my rear tire because it's pretty worn.

Forecast still shows some rain on the weekend, hopefully that changes, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm hoping that the start/finish line at the grey eagle isn't a complete gongshow, I'm also not liking some of the route we have to do through the city. I'm trying to prepare to not get angry at all of the stupid shit I'm going to see other cyclists doing this weekend.

I'm positive that kid that died on the BC ride was doing something stupid or the cyclists around him were doing something stupid.

lilmira
06-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Super-stoked!

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the start. Worst case I'll just let the big group start first. It's not a race. I'm sure I'll see a few clueless souls drfting towards the center of the road instead of hugging the right side.

The accident of the BC Ride sure is tragic. We just have to remind ourselves that being a cyclist sharing the road with vehicles, a momentary lapse of judgement can have huge consequences.

Hope the camp is not too cold at night, I only have a cheapo sleeping bag.

megavolt
06-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Bring a blanket in addition to the sleeping bag then. I was lucky my wife was crew last year so we shared a tent and had a huge air mattress, two sleeping bags zipped together and a thick blanket on top. It rained all night and was pretty cold. Tent filled with water but overall we were still pretty warm. She's riding this year so we'll do the same. Must have sucked for the people sleeping on yoga mats with thin sleeping bags. They don't care how much stuff you put on the truck so take advantage, come prepared.

As there's some rain in the forecast I'll try to bestow some tips from last year...

We brought all of our stuff in a huge hockey bag... and sealed everything inside in garbage bags. So glad we did because the hockey bag was soaked when we got to camp (because it had been pouring) but all our stuff inside was nice and dry. They tried their best to keep the bags covered but it was hopeless.

I'm actually thinking I'm going to pack our own tent as well this year. The tents they have..... SUCK.... and the people setting them up don't seem to care about quality too much. The tent we had last year didn't have the fly staked down so water poured into the tent before we got there. If the same happens this year I'm tearing down their tent and putting up my own (that doesn't leak).

The one mistake we made last year was the suitcase... just a small one... but overnight a lake developed in the corner it was sitting in and soaked some of our clothes for the second day. This year we're packing all of our clothes in bags as well so no matter what happens we've got dry clothes on day 2.

I'm also thinking of bringing my winter riding boots in the event that something happens and my shoes get soaked again on day 1. I'd rather wear boots that are too hot than wear squishy wet shoes and have cold feet all day (if it's still raining on day 2). Either that or have some plastic bags with you. I saw a lot of people put their feet in bags and then in their wet shoes.

I don't know how some of the people rode in only short and jerseys when it was pouring and cold. I suppose they had no choice (other than quitting). I tried my best to be prepared and was still cold and wet, hopefully this year goes better.

lilmira
06-18-2013, 01:22 PM
I have been checking the forecast daily and the only consistent thing is that they keep changing it everyday. :banghead:

I bought a rain coat but I don't have long pants or booties. I'll keep checking the forecast. If it's going to be wet and cold all weekend, I'll go get some more gear on Thursday.

I have a foam mat and a cheapo sleeping bad. :D Long pants and sweater are must to sleep at night. Worst case, I'll bring my snow pants. :nut:

I think they only gave me one luggage tag, am I allowed to bring two or I have to bundle them together? Not sure if I have a bag big enough to fit everything.