PDA

View Full Version : What truck to buy for $5000-10000?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-18-2011, 04:33 PM
I think I've decided to sell my Subaru for now and buy a pickup in the $5000-10000 range. Must be able to put my ATV in the back, manual or auto, and I'd like to put some slightly bigger tires on it and do some off roading/winter rescuing.

Suggestions?

Shlade
11-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Did you sell the subie yet?

Alak
11-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Get a long box. Depending on the ATV you may not be able to close the tailgate. Sounds like a trivial thing but its a pain in the ass when you want to pull a trailer and your quad and you cant close your tailgate.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Subie not sold yet. Anyway medium box max, my ATV is a Raptor 250 so it's tiny!

unkicrackie99
11-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Hmm maybe a 01-04 NA Frontier? I would avoid the SC models, they're quite the gas guzzler.

Rat Fink
11-18-2011, 07:25 PM
02 F150, 5.4L but before the cam phaser bullshit :dunno:

Shlade
11-18-2011, 07:37 PM
wait till you sell your car... youve looked several times before and you jinxed yourself and nobody bought the car lol Start looking after haha

bourge73
11-18-2011, 07:41 PM
^^This!

Sugarphreak
11-18-2011, 08:22 PM

Sugarphreak
11-18-2011, 08:26 PM

Benny
11-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by unkicrackie99
Hmm maybe a 01-04 NA Frontier? I would avoid the SC models, they're quite the gas guzzler.

Yeah but the NA ones are super gutless. I had to drive one for a few hours and you're constantly bootfucking the thing to get it going.

Weapon_R
11-19-2011, 01:31 AM
An 05ish F-150

StreetRacerX
11-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Would definitely get rid of the Subaru first :D

Commanderwiggin
11-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Toyota Pickup...I've got a 92 with a gutless 3.0 and 390,000km on it now. I bought it for 4k three years ago with 270,000km and only replaced the clutch (because I abused it offroading...4k dumps over/over). Regular maintenance being oil changes.

Get a 96-99 if you can find one that you like with the 3.4L...more power and same if not better reliability imo. I can fit my TRX450r in the back with the tailgate closed and have fit a 650 Rincon with tailgate open.

A couple months ago I drove from Red Deer to Tucson (30hrs straight) with my quad...then drove to Phoenix - > San Diego -> Tucson -> Salt Lake City -> Yellowstone National Park -> Red Deer. Something like 8000km put on...drove it through the Arizona desert with no issue...it has never left me stranded.

Originally I had an 06 Duramax...awesome truck and I still miss it but bought a house then got this as a bush beater 3 years ago and said I wasn't going to buy a new truck until this one dies...hours of trail abuse, highway abuse, just overall abuse and it keeps taking it. Needless to say my gf keeps bugging me to buy a new truck lol and I keep saying...it's not dead yet. Highway driving is generally over 120km/hr too and I only have to add a tiny bit of oil as the rear seal leaks a tiny bit ever since I bought it...not fixing it lol...my built engine in my quad is worth more than the whole truck haha.

This truck has never failed me...-40 sitting at the airport for a couple weeks with no block heater...started right up and had to boost several others. Gotta watch the top gear videos on this truck...indestructible lol. Driven from Red Deer to Winnipeg and back many times...6 Times this truck was so loaded with tools, bedding, dressers, etc...above the roof. Weather has been so bad on that drive sometimes I didn't get out of 4x4 with like 13 semi's and other vehicles in the ditch and no issues.

Best thing to do is drive one that is in decent shape and has been maintained and see if you like it. It is a small truck so towing is not going to be your best friend...but reliable and low cost and cheaper on fuel...yes.

EDIT: Just remember going from a Subaru to a 4x4 is a big difference in how it drives in the snow...4x4 does NOT feel as in control as a Subaru AWD system. Nearly all trucks have an open diff in the front and most in rear as well. Not scaring you as you will have good control just don't go expecting it to feel the same.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp128/Kdaddy69/OLD/Toyota1.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp128/Kdaddy69/OLD/Toyota2.jpg

craigcd
11-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Commanderwiggin
Toyota Pickup...I've got a 92 with a gutless 3.0 and 390,000km on it now. I bought it for 4k three years ago with 270,000km and only replaced the clutch (because I abused it offroading...4k dumps over/over). Regular maintenance being oil changes.

Get a 96-99 if you can find one that you like with the 3.4L...more power and same if not better reliability imo. I can fit my TRX450r in the back with the tailgate closed and have fit a 650 Rincon with tailgate open.

A couple months ago I drove from Red Deer to Tucson (30hrs straight) with my quad...then drove to Phoenix - > San Diego -> Tucson -> Salt Lake City -> Yellowstone National Park -> Red Deer. Something like 8000km put on...drove it through the Arizona desert with no issue...it has never left me stranded.

Originally I had an 06 Duramax...awesome truck and I still miss it but bought a house then got this as a bush beater 3 years ago and said I wasn't going to buy a new truck until this one dies...hours of trail abuse, highway abuse, just overall abuse and it keeps taking it. Needless to say my gf keeps bugging me to buy a new truck lol and I keep saying...it's not dead yet. Highway driving is generally over 120km/hr too and I only have to add a tiny bit of oil as the rear seal leaks a tiny bit ever since I bought it...not fixing it lol...my built engine in my quad is worth more than the whole truck haha.

This truck has never failed me...-40 sitting at the airport for a couple weeks with no block heater...started right up and had to boost several others. Gotta watch the top gear videos on this truck...indestructible lol. Driven from Red Deer to Winnipeg and back many times...6 Times this truck was so loaded with tools, bedding, dressers, etc...above the roof. Weather has been so bad on that drive sometimes I didn't get out of 4x4 with like 13 semi's and other vehicles in the ditch and no issues.

Best thing to do is drive one that is in decent shape and has been maintained and see if you like it. It is a small truck so towing is not going to be your best friend...but reliable and low cost and cheaper on fuel...yes.

EDIT: Just remember going from a Subaru to a 4x4 is a big difference in how it drives in the snow...4x4 does NOT feel as in control as a Subaru AWD system. Nearly all trucks have an open diff in the front and most in rear as well. Not scaring you as you will have good control just don't go expecting it to feel the same.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp128/Kdaddy69/OLD/Toyota1.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp128/Kdaddy69/OLD/Toyota2.jpg

Awesome- this is my old truck. Glad it is still running and running well!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Test drove a couple trucks this weekend, wasn't really impressed with any of them even though I was offered good chunks of money off each one. Perhaps I shall be selling the Subaru and driving the family beater for a while.

Commanderwiggin
11-21-2011, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by craigcd

Awesome- this is my old truck. Glad it is still running and running well!

Ya it looks like the previous owners took care of it well ;)

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Test drove a couple trucks this weekend, wasn't really impressed with any of them even though I was offered good chunks of money off each one. Perhaps I shall be selling the Subaru and driving the family beater for a while.

Which trucks?

msommers
11-21-2011, 07:08 AM
Curious what trucks you drove as well. The Frontier and Tacoma I found were the least "trucky" feeling; domestics were quite the opposite.

Rat Fink
11-21-2011, 07:39 AM
IMO, the less "trucky" a truck is, the less of a truck you actually get. A 1 ton diesel is going to ride like a lumber wagon compared to a Ridgeline but is a fuckload more truck than a ridgeline will ever be.....unless your only plan is to haul a box of toothpicks to a steakhouse on a friday night.

Commanderwiggin
11-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
IMO, the less "trucky" a truck is, the less of a truck you actually get. A 1 ton diesel is going to ride like a lumber wagon compared to a Ridgeline but is a fuckload more truck than a ridgeline will ever be.....unless your only plan is to haul a box of toothpicks to a steakhouse on a friday night.

This is somewhat false...I found the 3/4 tonne diesels to ride completely different.

IMO...The Chev felt like a Caddy...Dodge like sitting on a bench with springs...Ford like a bench with tires (no suspension) lol. Keep in mind I wanted the Dodge and walked away with the Chev when testing the diesels.

I find the new fords are too soft in the front suspension...new chev's ride okay and the new dodges feel pretty darn good as far as the 1500's go...I'd have to try again if I picked one. Titan was okay but I liked the Frontier better...haven't driven the Tundra yet...probably won't as I'm not interested in it and I think it looks ugly as fuuuuck.

New Tacoma and Frontier are sporty feeling...I really liked the Frontier the more I drove it as it was a 6speed vs. the auto I test drove in the Tacoma...I'll most likely test drive a 6mt Tacoma soon. I'm leaning towards an 09+ Access Cab TRD Off Road 4x4 4.0L Tacoma right now. It has rear diff lock and 6ft box and it'll tow anything I want...even my M3 if I get in a bind...obviously it's a light truck so it's not going to be a towing beast but if I need it I have it. Otherwise I'll just tow my quads around and w/e the mrs wants. I may be forced into the Quad Cab though and sacrifice the extra ft of box space and the rear diff lock...we will see how that argument goes as we have 2 kids...they fit fine in the truck right now...why not keep the squeeze on lol.

blueToy
11-21-2011, 08:24 AM
I have a couple of older Toys and I can't say enough good things about them . Have beat one since day one , 21 years ago , and it has not let me down in any way , shape or form .

From my research , my next Toy will be a 1997 Taco. with the 3.4L V6 . I'm gonna 3-link the rear with ARB front bumper and 33's and she'll be good to go . Just make sure the previous owner has done the maintenance on it regularly .

Also , most important , don't be in a rush . Take your time and look for the ' right ' one . Plenty of guys have babied there rides and are meticulous with upkeep , it just a while to find them . Sooo many settle for less and pay for it in the end .

Just my two cents ..

Oh ... look for the E-locker too .

Another thing about off-roading . The smaller , the lighter the better . Unless you plan 52" tires to go only bogging , treading lightly is a good rule of thumb . Diesels are great for pulling , but you don't need the added weight in the bush . Thats why you have a two speed transfer case ... high/low .... In the bush 4lo is the way to go , so even the gutless 3 litre seems like a powerhouse .

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-21-2011, 09:20 AM
A 2007 loaded half ton GMC with 5.3L Vortec, obviously had a transmission issue, 193000km $10000. A 2008 Ranger with 91000km V6 Auto, $12000 and for comparison I drove a brand new Frontier, the worst of them all, gutless, steering was the worst ratio I have ever driven, and felt downright cheap.

Commanderwiggin
11-21-2011, 10:16 AM
A 2007 loaded half ton GMC with 5.3L Vortec, obviously had a transmission issue, 193000km $10000. A 2008 Ranger with 91000km V6 Auto, $12000 and for comparison I drove a brand new Frontier, the worst of them all, gutless, steering was the worst ratio I have ever driven, and felt downright cheap.

Couldn't have been a 4.0L frontier...I found that truck to be snappy...but again it was a 6mt so...the tranny has alot to do with it. Go drive a Tacoma or Frontier 6mt.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-21-2011, 11:54 AM
It was a 4.0L with manual. My Jeep with the 4.0L and manual is way quicker and more responsive.

Commanderwiggin
11-21-2011, 12:32 PM
It was a 4.0L with manual. My Jeep with the 4.0L and manual is way quicker and more responsive.

Wierd...I've test driven two frontiers an SE and a Nismo and I would roast the tires in 2nd like nobodies business...wasn't impressive by any means it was just surprisingly aggressive compared to my cousins and my friends Rubicon...all MT's; guess its just the driver then lol. I dunno...find one that you like and go with it. It is a different feel going from a Car/Jeep to a truck though...it will never be as sporty unless you build it that way.

craigcd
11-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Have you considered a 2000-2006 Tundra? I have a 2001 that I use for camping and biking and I love it, so close to a Tacoma but with more power. They are also a bit better on fuel to some of the larger fullsize trucks.

I may be selling mine in the near future as I am moving to a car allowance and am getting rid of my company car- so I can use a newer truck for both. I would be selling it around the $10k mark.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-22-2011, 01:56 PM
One thing I'm grappling with in my mind is why buy a nicer truck when I basically want to offroad it? My jeeps body is rough so it doesn't bug me when I get a door ding or a scratch because we only paid $3500 for it 2 years ago.

projekz
11-22-2011, 02:21 PM
I'd say sell the Legacy and drive the Jeep until you figure out exactly what you want and by then you'll also have the time to pick and choose your next vehicle carefully without being rushed. :thumbsup:

msommers
11-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Keep the Jeep as an offroad toy and get something else for your daily driver if you're jaded of the Subby.

sillysod
11-22-2011, 08:16 PM
You are looking for something that is relatively inexpensive and still decent.

IMO the only option is a 1/2 ton domestic truck. The sheer volume of these on the market makes them inexpensive to find and maintain.

Japaneese trucks are definitely nicer, but because they are nicer you can expect to pay more.

CompletelyNumb
11-23-2011, 12:06 PM
GMC/Chev 1500 or 2500

High availability, pretty inexpensive, reliable, cheap to fix.

HuMz
11-23-2011, 10:30 PM

Not a chance in hell it was a V6, ive driven my friends 2005 rubicon 4.0 many times and its not as fast as the V6 in the Frontier.

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4X4 NISMO Package 0-60 mph 7.5 Quarter Mile 15.8

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by HuMz

Not a chance in hell it was a V6, ive driven my friends 2005 rubicon 4.0 many times and its not as fast as the V6 in the Frontier.

2005 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4X4 NISMO Package 0-60 mph 7.5 Quarter Mile 15.8

It was a V6 and both myself and my best friend have driven both and agreed my Jeep felt better.