PDA

View Full Version : Dim Sum in the SE of Calgary?

LUDELVR
11-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know of any restaurants that serve dim sum in the SE of Calgary. I don't feel like going all the downtown. Something closes to Heritage train station.

BokCh0y
11-20-2011, 01:10 PM
They just opened a 2nd location of Tai Pan (location one is: 171 1518 Centre St. NE) on Macloed Trail by the Brick. I can't remember the exact address for it, but It's across from the Rona, and it's on the 2nd floor. You can see the restaurant when driving on Mac Trail.

Edit: Here's the addy - 100, 9737 Macloed Trail SW.

Went there for dinner Friday night, buffet and also chinese menu.

LUDELVR
11-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
They just opened a 2nd location of Tai Pan (location one is: 171 1518 Centre St. NE) on Macleod Trail by the Brick. I can't remember the exact address for it, but It's across from the Rona, and it's on the 2nd floor. You can see the restaurant when driving on Mac Trail.

Sweet! I'll give it a go!

Cheers mate!

TomcoPDR
11-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Tai Pan on Southland's pretty good, been there once, a Chinese neighbour took me... it's the old old Skanks sports bar, on top of TD bank.

Aggrrrr Leo, nothing like some hearty drinking at Ceili's night before in that mall, bring the lass back home close by, then treat her to some egg rolls in the mornin.

There's also a small little hole in Bonventure called Magic Bowl... A White friend took me there, he loves it.

n1zm0
11-27-2011, 08:22 PM
i thought that upstairs one is called Empress Restaurant? never tried the dimsum but i remember the buffet was horbs.

review from the OP of this place would be great, the dim sum review that is

TomcoPDR
11-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Emperor is done

LUDELVR
11-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Aggrrrr Leo, nothing like some hearty drinking at Ceili's night before in that mall, bring the lass back home close by, then treat her to some egg rolls in the mornin.

haha, pretty much spot on bro!:poosie: :rofl:

in*10*se
11-28-2011, 10:32 AM
magic bowl, i think its in queensland somewhere.

BokCh0y
11-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by in*10*se
magic bowl, i think its in queensland somewhere.

it's in Bonavista

12, 1215 Lake Sylvan Dr SE

Great place too. Over priced in my opinion, small portions also. But food is great.

buh_buh
11-28-2011, 10:42 AM
I've been to Magic Bowl a few times with my old man. Its delicious, but smells weird in there.

LUDELVR
11-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I've been to Magic Bowl a few times with my old man. Its delicious, but smells weird in there.

Is this by your pop's place and Brewsters in that little strip mall?

buh_buh
11-28-2011, 02:12 PM
No it's in a much more obscure strip mall in Bonavista Downs. It's near there though

frozenrice
11-28-2011, 09:57 PM
When I used to work down in the deep south, Gold Bistro in Midnapore used to have dim sum on Saturdays. Not sure if they still do or not. They used to have dim sum samplers on their daily lunch buffet.

Tai Pan on Southland and Macleod is good. I think at one time it used to be Don Cherry's Grapes Bar and Grill, and then it became the Empress and now Tai Pan. Hope Tai Pan succeeds. They're my favourite Chinese restaurant at the moment.

TomcoPDR
11-29-2011, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Hope Tai Pan succeeds. They're my favourite Chinese restaurant at the moment.

It's probably the rent that kills those past cases... On different note, that building Ceili's operates out of, so many restaurants had such shitty luck (could be rent, location, etc..). There was a restaurant that made a decent run outta that place, and the food/service was good when I was in high school... The Red Robin, haven't seen this name around much now a days. (think they HAD one in Kenningston a long time ago)

CompletelyNumb
11-29-2011, 04:28 AM

It's probably the rent that kills those past cases... On different note, that building Ceili's operates out of, so many restaurants had such shitty luck (could be rent, location, etc..). There was a restaurant that made a decent run outta that place, and the food/service was good when I was in high school... The Red Robin, haven't seen this name around much now a days. (think they HAD one in Kenningston a long time ago)

Hoping Ceili's sticks it out, it's my favourite pub in the south

n1zm0
11-29-2011, 09:40 AM
so the dimsum at this place just weekends? i think i'll try it this weekend if they've changed the name/management? it's from the cart or order from a menu?

The Red Robin, haven't seen this name around much now a days.

yes! i remember when it was a red robins when i was in elementary i think it was, i loved that the most the nachos and burgers :drool: , the piano bar meh, mr mike's was okay but nothing great - the building was way too large for what kind of restaurant they were, ceilis i think will survive quite long, it is always packed max in that parking lot just for the bar.

don't remember what else was there tho, i recall it being vacant for a few years i think.

frozenrice
11-29-2011, 12:59 PM
They still have Red Robins in Edmonton. Was there last summer.

TomcoPDR
01-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Hope Tai Pan succeeds. They're my favourite Chinese restaurant at the moment. It's fuckin annoying when u walk in and they just harass you. "dim sum ordering" or buffet. Then u keep telling them u wanna wait till all parties have arrive. Then every time a waiter comes by, they'd ask u the same shit again. Dim sum? Buffet?