PDA

View Full Version : Small size SUV recommendations? $10k-$20k

The BMW Guy
11-21-2011, 01:00 AM
Family is looking for a used small size SUV that has decent gas mileage.
Prefer import, not a huge fan of domestic but am open to opinions still.

Rav4 seems to be a good choice but don't like the look of it. Any other recommendations?

Still in the process of looking around...just thought I'd get some recommendations and why you would recommend that particular SUV.

Thanks!!

msommers
11-21-2011, 02:51 AM
Toyota Rav4, Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue, Ford Edge, Hyundai Sante Fe.

Not necessarily in that order. My roommate has the Rogue and has never gotten stuck. Lots of trips out to the mountains with a bit of offroading and she is going strong. Mom has a 2008(9) CRV and that thing is awesome. She had well over a foot of snow in the alley to the garage and never had an issue.

4doorj
11-21-2011, 08:30 AM
I own a 2011 crv exl. Probably the most boring car I've ever driven. But love it. It does everything very well. Plus the quality feels top notch. Cheap on gas. Awesome family vehicle. But for what you get, feels like I got ripped off haha.

Masked Bandit
11-21-2011, 09:23 AM
We've got a 2003 CR-V that we bought essentially brand new (it was five months old) and that thing has been fantastic. Fill the gas tank & go. It's now got ~130,xxx km on the clock and I've spent less than $500 in actual repairs (not including regular maintenance). It's got a ton of room inside and the interior materials seem to be wearing very well. It's survived kid duty it's whole life and with a quick detail it would look almost brand new.

For a 4 cylinder vehicle (2.4 L) it's not amazing on gas but it averages 10 L / 100 KM of city driving. Ya sure a little hatchback would be better but at 6'0" tall I can fit anywhere in that thing with ease. We've taken it on a couple of 2000 KM road trips and I spent time in the driver seat & in the rear seat with no problems.

Sugarphreak
11-21-2011, 09:35 AM

Tarrantula
11-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Toyota Rav4, Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue, Ford Edge, Hyundai Sante Fe.

Not necessarily in that order. My roommate has the Rogue and has never gotten stuck. Lots of trips out to the mountains with a bit of offroading and she is going strong. Mom has a 2008(9) CRV and that thing is awesome. She had well over a foot of snow in the alley to the garage and never had an issue.

Hey now, what about the gorgeous and sporty Murano?

freshprince1
11-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Subaru Forester XT. Turbo, AWD, Automatic, Good cargo space, good stance for a small urban SUV. You can get used 2008 for abot $18K-$20K. Great resale too...especially on the XT.

Dynasty 88
11-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Tarrantula

Nissan should quit making those, they look dated now and my 09 has been a nightmare, it loves the Nissan shop much more than my garage i guess. I regret buying mine 100%, I can't even get a decent trade in offer, i'm stuck with it. Gobbles up fuel like a V8 too.

Avoid Muranos:thumbsup:

94boosted
11-21-2011, 12:30 PM
BMW X3's can be had for under 14-20K, probably not as exciting as a Forester XT but also not as boring as a CRV or Rav4

dino_martini
11-21-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm rocking a 2004 Honda CRV for the winter and its a decent little ride. Great space, great visibility, decent fuel mileage. Havent had to put a dime into it besides gas, insurance, and regular maintenance in the past 15,000km's we've owned it.

max_boost
11-21-2011, 08:05 PM
A regular Forester should fit the bill. Turbo if you want to have fun with it. :D:burnout:

xnvy
11-21-2011, 11:10 PM
CR-V. My neighbours have a CR-V with ~180,000 km and it still works like new. BMW X3 :barf:

Canucks3322
11-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Buy my Nissan Juke :D $24,000

msommers
11-22-2011, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Tarrantula

I wouldn't consider it a small SUV first of all and secondly, doesn't that thing require premium?

Requirements by OP: Small and good gas mileage. Murano is neither. Gorgeous and sporty are definitely in the eyes of the beholder.

RBPiranha
11-22-2011, 02:49 AM
Late model Ford Escape would fit the bill pretty nicely.

cam_wmh
11-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I even tried to get it sideways on our street when it was covered in ice... traction control and stability control kicked in and what should have been an epic drift turned into a low speed mild mannered turn in total control. *sigh*

Jesus christ this sort of shit scares me, along the lines of marriage, the burbs & kids

Ashers
11-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by RBPiranha
Late model Ford Escape would fit the bill pretty nicely.

I second this. As an appliance vehicle, they're perfect. Tons of space, electronic gadgetry everywhere (SYNC, Ambient interior lighting, Windshield wiper drip catcher, EPS with crosswind mitigation), very good on fuel, easy to drive, and cheap. My one I find is unstoppable in the snow, and is very good with keeping things under control. Feels very spacious. With the 4 banger I average about 10L/100KM mixed, and just under 8L/100KM on pure highway, so I can usually get about 600KM on $60. Downside is that the Soy based seat cushions get quite stiff in the cold, once they warm up they're quite supportive. Oh, and they have all the excitement of a cup of Jello pudding to drive. Tossable, but it feels like a appliance. Be careful of the 2009's, most of them should be fixed by now, but they had transmission issues, and leaking axle seals on the 4WD models by about 16,000KM. Some 2010's were affected, but so far mine is at 28,000km and holding pretty solid.