PDA

View Full Version : What would be a good offer for this 93 mr2 rhd

big A
11-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Someone I know is selling this car

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1993-Toyota-MR2-GT-S-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ319190501

I was thinking of making a fair offer. He imported it last year off some lot in Calgary. It passed OOP and I don't believe he did any upgrades, just regular maintenance. He is young so it did get driven hard but not too bagged, I drove in it recently and the clutch didn't seem too soft or nothing like that.

I am just looking for a project for when my son turns 16 and I don't know the value of imported Mr2s.

Thanks

BokCh0y
11-22-2011, 08:35 PM
I think the price is fair, considering it is JDM. You can prolly knock him down 500-1000 for sure.

You're a good dad. Your son will get sooooo much ass with that car.

big A
11-22-2011, 08:38 PM
^^^^ I read that and laughed as my son read it over my shoulder and said " Got that right.".

Good thing his Mom wasn't in the room.

pf0sh0
11-22-2011, 08:43 PM
bokch0y is right, probably 500-1000 off, but you should check pricing for similar mr2's in the area.

chkolny541
11-23-2011, 12:26 AM
good price as it is. Get it inspected though to know for sure, thats whatll tell you how much to counter offer

e.widling
11-23-2011, 06:32 AM
I think that's a fair price as long as everything is in order mechanically speaking.

black300
11-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Since it's going to be a project car like you said why not pick this one up and save some $

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1992-Toyota-MR2-GT-Coupe-GT-W0QQAdIdZ332935356

or get your son a Left hand like this one, well worth it imo

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1991-Toyota-MR2-turbo-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ322645026

Redlyne_mr2
11-25-2011, 01:40 PM
^^^that LHD is super beat, I see it almost every day. Pricing seems about right on the first post.

I would try and find a 94 and newer, you'll get the nicer tail lights, better engine etc.

jdmsource
11-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Redlyne is right, i would go rather go for a gen III which is 94+ and honestly prices on mr2's in japan are quite good right now and a gen III thats in good shape can be had for about $6500-7500 landed now.

big A
11-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks to all the mr2 guys that are giving me advice. :)

Silverfire9
11-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by big A
Thanks to all the mr2 guys that are giving me advice. :)

I'm laughing at all the MR2 guys that think a turbo Mk2 is a good idea for a first car.

He WILL lose control of it within the first 6 months he has it. With any luck he won't hurt anything or anyone, but it will happen, probably more than once. They have WAY to much power and not enough warning before they come around for a first-time driver. You're the only one who can accurately assess your son's driving ability and maturity (maybe - let's face it, most parents think their kids are really good at whatever they do whether they really are or not), but for the LARGE majority, but I propose you ask these questions before you get it: Will he try to peel out of a parking lot into traffic to show off? Does he like to go around corners quickly on the street? Will his friends try convince him to do something stupid that on his own he would recognize as such? Any of these are a recipe for disaster in a new driver in a high-performance car. Yes, that IS a high-performance car. It's in the same SCCA car class as the Porsche 911, BMW M3, Mercedes SLK, and Ferrari 308 and 328.

MR2s just aren't forgiving enough for a new driver. The thing that makes them so much fun is also the thing that makes them dangerous. They will hold a corner far better than many other vehicles and nearly all others in that price range. Thing is, when the tires DO let go there's almost no warning and because of the rearward weight bias, it takes considerable skill to save it if it's possible at all. A new driver almost never has the maturity or experience to know when that will be.

Now, I'm not saying not to get him an MR2. Just not a turbo(GT-S) one. The 30 HP and 50lb/ft difference calms the car down. If you ask me, the ideal car there would be an N/A mk1 form the late 80s with only about 100HP by now, but good luck finding one in nice condition that runs well. They're just too old.

If you decide to get it, do him a favour and get him into some sort of autocross. I don't know where it will happen now that Race City is closed, but with the space required for the track, I'm sure they (Calgary Sports Car Club, I think) will be able to find somewhere by spring. That will give him both the opportunity to get the crazy driving out of his system and to learn control in a safe environment, all for a minimal investment (a helmet).

Kardon
11-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Agree with both parties, don't buy a jdm mr2 unless its a +94, but also reconsider the choice of an MR2 for a first car. Those gen 3's can destroy almost any other car from its time, mk4 supra, rx7s, just go watch the best motoring videos on youtube they drag them agaisnt a variety of other jdms; the gen 3 mr2 always win by large margin.

big A
12-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Your advice is well taken, silverfire. This car would not be his DD.

One of my concerns that was answered here was should a car like this get scooped up as soon as it hits the market, never to have another chance at something that good again.

The answer is no, I don't need to make an impulse decision.
These cars are not appreciating, yet, I don't know about after rhd are banned here and you already have one.

Personally I would rather a LHD but the young guys think R is cool.

The other big thing I learned from this thread is 94+ is the way to go.

J-hop
12-10-2011, 11:54 AM
To be honest I think it's a good decision to hold off. An mr2 was my close second choice for a project car and I came very close to purchasing one or two of them. I would never pay what that person was asking for a RHD model. It was priced near what a LHD should have been (in general the lhd models are worth more than the rhd ones). If you really wanted a rhd model I would wait for a cheap one to pop up, I've seen some dip as low as 2k for a non turbo. Personally I see absolutely no reason to get a rhd version other than they are on average cheaper and more plentiful.

I wouldn't want my kid to start off with a rhd car but to each his own I guess. Or a car that is decently quick, these cars aren't too fast in stock form but definitely more than someone with minimal driving experience should have access to.

cam_wmh
12-10-2011, 01:34 PM
RHD is not cool. Correct him.

zipdoa
12-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Silverfire9 is right on the money.

If your son drives anything like I did at 16, the MR2 will be a quick ticket to the hospital or a cell.

Type_S1
12-10-2011, 05:07 PM
RHD is sooo gay. Get a car where you don't look like a wanabe loser driving around in it. :thumbsup: