PDA

View Full Version : Engineering?

lison
11-22-2011, 09:05 PM
SAIT(2 years Power Engineering) --> Camosun College(6 month bridging) --> UVic(3rd Year Mechanical Engineering)

Thoughts?

lison
11-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Sorrys mods posted into Careers instead of Campus Chat...
Please move? Thanks!

R154
11-22-2011, 09:25 PM
do mechanical... it's broader and will provide more work opportunities should you decide not to go through with your P.engg.

Word to the wise... a lot of P.Tech's move into Project Management and earn CET (Certified Tech) and after time there is a process in which Tech's can earn LIMITED designation such that you may sign your own plans and get a ring.

This is the reason why I said do Mech (sait does mech I think) such that you may earn this designation (mechanical) failing you following through with the degree.

Overall ambitious plan. Good luck to you sir.

turbotrip
11-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by lison
SAIT(2 years Power Engineering) --> Camosun College(6 month bridging) --> UVic(3rd Year Mechanical Engineering)

Thoughts?

what point are you at right now out of those 3?

lison
11-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by R154
do mechanical... it's broader and will provide more work opportunities should you decide not to go through with your P.engg.

Word to the wise... a lot of P.Tech's move into Project Management and earn CET (Certified Tech) and after time there is a process in which Tech's can earn LIMITED designation such that you may sign your own plans and get a ring.

This is the reason why I said do Mech (sait does mech I think) such that you may earn this designation (mechanical) failing you following through with the degree.

Overall ambitious plan. Good luck to you sir.
Well thanks for the enlightment.

Originally posted by turbotrip

what point are you at right now out of those 3?
what do you think of the idea/plan

HiTempguy1
11-23-2011, 01:51 AM
Sorry, but I honestly can't see how taking a 2 year diploma and 6 months of courses gets you into your 3rd year of an engineering degree.

I've had this argument time and again with people, DIPLOMAS ARE NOTHING LIKE DEGREES, THEY DO NOT PREPARE YOU AT ALL.

UofA/UofC and all of the instructors/professors tried to blow smoke up the ass of people in my program ("oh yea, all of that lab time you have is huge, probably get 1.5 years off your 4 year eng degree!") and it is a lie, plain and simple. Most stuff you take in a diploma (electrical engineering technology not withstanding) is easier/the same level of difficulty as Math 31/Calculus 101 in high school.

My 2 cents. And why would you use power engineering as your initial diploma of all things? It's fairly biased towards what they teach, not saying it isn't good, but I'd much rather stick with chem/electrical/mechanical and go from there.

huch
11-23-2011, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Sorry, but I honestly can't see how taking a 2 year diploma and 6 months of courses gets you into your 3rd year of an engineering degree.

I've had this argument time and again with people, DIPLOMAS ARE NOTHING LIKE DEGREES, THEY DO NOT PREPARE YOU AT ALL.

UofA/UofC and all of the instructors/professors tried to blow smoke up the ass of people in my program ("oh yea, all of that lab time you have is huge, probably get 1.5 years off your 4 year eng degree!") and it is a lie, plain and simple. Most stuff you take in a diploma (electrical engineering technology not withstanding) is easier/the same level of difficulty as Math 31/Calculus 101 in high school.

My 2 cents. And why would you use power engineering as your initial diploma of all things? It's fairly biased towards what they teach, not saying it isn't good, but I'd much rather stick with chem/electrical/mechanical and go from there.

Werd.. almost every engineering tech that I knew who came to the U of A for engineering got bumped into qual 2 Year 1 or second year tops. Anyone who thinks a tech will transfer to 3rd year is kidding themselves. Also as I understand it the courses generally are considered easier in nait. I can't verify this myself because I've never been to nait but one tech who transferred into eng had a 4.0 at nait and a 2.3 at the U of A. That's not to say all are like that but I've noticed quite a few who tank at university.

killramos
11-23-2011, 06:24 AM
What I don't understand is why you don't just take the engineering degree from the beginning like it was designed to be...

If your grades out of high school aren't high enough to get in to a degree then you almost certainly don't have enough discipline or maturity to do the degree anyhow. This is how so many people in the industry beg the question "he's an engineer?" I haven't even finnished third year of my degree and I notice people who barely slid through the process. Not the kind of people I want to be working with...

seer_claw
11-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Definitely worth while, I did my Civil tech at SAIT then Camosun and into 3rd year. I found UBC was a joke, the courses at SAIT were way harder. I think it is a great way to go through get a degree. Just remember that Camosun is hell for 6 months. If you can make it through it is really the hardest part of the education. But it is really short.

Sugarphreak
11-23-2011, 08:34 AM

lison
11-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by seer_claw
Definitely worth while, I did my Civil tech at SAIT then Camosun and into 3rd year. I found UBC was a joke, the courses at SAIT were way harder. I think it is a great way to go through get a degree. Just remember that Camosun is hell for 6 months. If you can make it through it is really the hardest part of the education. But it is really short.
Sweet! I'm going to PM you.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I wouldn't get your panties in a knot just yet about who you want to work with. Some people that are top mark bookworms at school can't translate any of it to real life. On the flip side of that, others that are just sliding by will adapt to the technical aspects a job like a fish in water.

Bottom line is school and the real world are very different places, being successful in one world doesn't mean you will be in the other.
:thumbsup:

blitz
11-23-2011, 09:33 AM
I went to UVic for Mechanical. Those bridge guys had it rough in 3rd year. You jump into by far the hardest year of the program. They all made it though, but they worked damn hard to keep up.

lasimmon
11-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by killramos
What I don't understand is why you don't just take the engineering degree from the beginning like it was designed to be...

If your grades out of high school aren't high enough to get in to a degree then you almost certainly don't have enough discipline or maturity to do the degree anyhow. This is how so many people in the industry beg the question "he's an engineer?" I haven't even finnished third year of my degree and I notice people who barely slid through the process. Not the kind of people I want to be working with...

:rofl: 72% average in high school for me. 3.5+ graduated engineer.

turbotrip
11-25-2011, 02:04 AM

what do you think of the idea/plan

if you've already started with sait then sure follow through with it I guess, but if you havent then its probably a better idea to go straight into uni if possible. even if you dont have the marks its a better idea to upgrade and then go to uni rather than transfer through the bridge program. the biggest problem i saw with students bridging over was that they were kind of on their own for everything while everyone else who had done the first 3 years together had already formed their little circles so assignments/studying, etc. was a lot easier for them. Engineering is not difficult, but the workload is hard to manage without a good group of friends around you imo.

bjstare
11-27-2011, 12:08 PM
I went to UVic and I can confirm beyond a doubt that the 2 year tech program at Camosun will transfer into 3rd year at Uvic. They actually call it the bridge program, and its set up with the goal of transferring into engineering at UVic.

I did all four years at UVic, however, and can also tell you that University hit some of the bridge students like a wall. Some had a very hard time transitioning because the instructors at Camosun babied them, and the same didn't happen at UVic. Some fell behind and didn't grad on time, but if you have your shit together, you can absolutely do years 1 and 2 at camosun and transfer directly to year 3 at UVic.

Ryan Shawcross
11-27-2011, 01:45 PM

Why do you say EET notwithstanding? It is tougher than the others?

HiTempguy1
11-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Shawcross

Why do you say EET notwithstanding? It is tougher than the others?

Yes. Electricity (theoretically) is a bitch. Most people will agree that an Electrical Engineering Technology diploma (or engineering degree) are the hardest of the "main" streams (chem, mech, O&G, electrical).

At the same time, they are in demand! So if you can hack it, do it. I wish I had rather than instrumentation, I would have rather had a 3.0gpa in electrical than a 4.0 in instrumentation.

Ryan Shawcross
11-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm a journeyman electrician, and I'm currently upgrading my high school classes before applying to get into the EET program. I'm super scared of taking two years off work and not passing, maybe I should aim a bit lower and go for one of the other tech programs.

lasimmon
11-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Shawcross
Thanks for the reply. I'm a journeyman electrician, and I'm currently upgrading my high school classes before applying to get into the EET program. I'm super scared of taking two years off work and not passing, maybe I should aim a bit lower and go for one of the other tech programs.

If you WANT to do it, you will pass. I would say most people fail things because they are genuinely not interested in what they are doing. I came out of high school with no work ethic no study skills nothing. But I REALLY wanted to be an engineer and I was able to make it work, I feel because I really wanted it.

seer_claw
11-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

If you WANT to do it, you will pass. I would say most people fail things because they are genuinely not interested in what they are doing. I came out of high school with no work ethic no study skills nothing. But I REALLY wanted to be an engineer and I was able to make it work, I feel because I really wanted it.

I went to SAIT when I turned 24, did my Civil tech and then did the bridge to UBC Engineering. At high school I had no work ethic or study habits. I developed them at SAIT and I was a lot older so that helped too. I think that working for a few years helped out too, I knew how to sit down and study or do homework when it had to be done.

Also from working I wanted to be an engineer as I was lucky to have worked for some really good ones. I didn't have the marks out of high school to get into a university engineering program but going through SAIT was great.

As another note, I found that my SAIT education was way harder to do well in than when I was in Engineering at UBC. It might have been the profs but all in all SAIT was a more valuable experience for me and I learned a lot more. The structual classes at UBC were a joke, didn't cover as much as I learned at SAIT.

My 0.02$.

Cos
11-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Yes. Electricity (theoretically) is a bitch. Most people will agree that an Electrical Engineering Technology diploma (or engineering degree) are the hardest of the "main" streams (chem, mech, O&G, electrical).

At the same time, they are in demand! So if you can hack it, do it. I wish I had rather than instrumentation, I would have rather had a 3.0gpa in electrical than a 4.0 in instrumentation.

pshhhh dont be stupid and it isnt hard ;)

'07 EET grad here

Your two options for getting a degree are:
- Camosun -> UVic.
- Thunder Bay.

All the other options you either start again or start in 2nd year (instead of 3rd). UBC and UofA both start at 2nd year. UofC gives you fuck all. Some schools in the US offer it (buddy did Petro Engg from tech in 2008).

If you know for sure you want to be a P.Eng go straight into Engineering. There is no benefit and more work dong the tech route. If you want to be a tech or not sure if you want to go into engg then this is a good option. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise! I am going into my 5th year and make 6 figures. Dont be stupid, work hard, and get into a company that pays people what they are worth not what you have behind your name.

Good Luck

jaysas_63
11-27-2011, 05:11 PM
didnt bother reading all of the posts, but i have multiple friends with Electrical engG diplomas from NAIT that went directly into 3rd yr electrical engG at lakehead university in thunder bay ontario (they took a 3 month bridge course before entering 3 rd yr)

so dont listen to those saying its impossible.

lison
11-27-2011, 05:57 PM

I went to SAIT when I turned 24, did my Civil tech and then did the bridge to UBC Engineering. At high school I had no work ethic or study habits. I developed them at SAIT and I was a lot older so that helped too. I think that working for a few years helped out too, I knew how to sit down and study or do homework when it had to be done.

Also from working I wanted to be an engineer as I was lucky to have worked for some really good ones. I didn't have the marks out of high school to get into a university engineering program but going through SAIT was great.

As another note, I found that my SAIT education was way harder to do well in than when I was in Engineering at UBC. It might have been the profs but all in all SAIT was a more valuable experience for me and I learned a lot more. The structual classes at UBC were a joke, didn't cover as much as I learned at SAIT.

My 0.02$.
:thumbsup: I hope it'll be the same for me~

Originally posted by jaysas_63
didnt bother reading all of the posts, but i have multiple friends with Electrical engG diplomas from NAIT that went directly into 3rd yr electrical engG at lakehead university in thunder bay ontario (they took a 3 month bridge course before entering 3 rd yr)

so dont listen to those saying its impossible.
:thumbsup: Thanks~

Originally posted by Cos

pshhhh dont be stupid and it isnt hard ;)

'07 EET grad here

Your two options for getting a degree are:
- Camosun -> UVic.
- Thunder Bay.

All the other options you either start again or start in 2nd year (instead of 3rd). UBC and UofA both start at 2nd year. UofC gives you fuck all. Some schools in the US offer it (buddy did Petro Engg from tech in 2008).

If you know for sure you want to be a P.Eng go straight into Engineering. There is no benefit and more work dong the tech route. If you want to be a tech or not sure if you want to go into engg then this is a good option. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise! I am going into my 5th year and make 6 figures. Dont be stupid, work hard, and get into a company that pays people what they are worth not what you have behind your name.

Good Luck

:thumbsup: Thanks! Camosun rejected my program and I wouldn't want to go all the way to Thunder Bay...
UBC and UofA should be decent but I wonder how high of a GPA the transfer requires and also how tough the transition is...
It sucks how UofC gives like nothing...
UWyoming offers 2 more years but I don't wanna go there.

5th year of being a Tech?

Cos
11-27-2011, 06:01 PM

5th year of being a Tech?

Yeah I graduated from SAIT in 2007. Worked for 2 different companies for my first year. Starting my second year I got on with the company I am still with today. Went from electrical designer -> Senior designer -> Project Manager.

I do very different work than an engineer though. Dont let people tell you that engineer = technologist. A technologist trying to do an engineering job is where you hear all the complaints from. A tech job SHOULD be very different than an engineers.

If you want to sit in a room, stamp, and analyze all day then dont become a tech you want to be an engg.

lison
11-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Yeah I graduated from SAIT in 2007. Worked for 2 different companies for my first year. Starting my second year I got on with the company I am still with today. Went from electrical designer -> Senior designer -> Project Manager.

I do very different work than an engineer though. Dont let people tell you that engineer = technologist. A technologist trying to do an engineering job is where you hear all the complaints from. A tech job SHOULD be very different than an engineers.

If you want to sit in a room, stamp, and analyze all day then dont become a tech you want to be an engg.

Wow congrats!
Well we're the power plant guys so it's quite different than your job...
I want to try out stamping hahaha. Should be decent.
thanks for the input eh!

armangill7
07-31-2012, 02:55 PM

My 0.02$.

Hey so I'm starting the Civl Tech program at SAIT in the fall and was wondering how difficult you found the program to be. Ive taken a year off since high school because i just wasn't ready to get serious about school. my average in high school is alright about 71 or 72 percent. What courses did you find to be difficult?

lison
08-16-2012, 10:46 AM
http://calgary.verbacompare.com/print/45848,45961,45969,46335

This is my booklist for the fall.
Do I honestly have to buy every book that is REQUIRED?

Disoblige
08-16-2012, 11:20 AM
http://calgary.verbacompare.com/print/45848,45961,45969,46335

This is my booklist for the fall.
Do I honestly have to buy every book that is REQUIRED?
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how much the prof uses the book even if they say it's "required". Don't buy it before classes start. Wait 1-2 weeks into classes as that is usually when you'll know if you'll need it. The bookstore will not run out of them. Buy it when you start using it or when you think it will be useful.

Here is what usually happens in Engg:

1st year: Most people buy most of the books
2nd year: Most people buy some of the books
3rd year: Some people buy books, but not necessary
4th year: Books?..

flipstah
08-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how much the prof uses the book even if they say it's "required". Don't buy it before classes start. Wait 1-2 weeks into classes as that is usually when you'll know if you'll need it. The bookstore will not run out of them. Buy it when you start using it or when you think it will be useful.

That's what happens in every discipline.

1st Year: Eagerness is all over
2nd Year: Wearing out a bit
3rd Year: "Why the fuck did he go for the newer edition?! WHY?!"
4th Year: Eh, C is enough. *Hums Pomp and Circumstance*

dirtsniffer
08-16-2012, 01:49 PM
haha ya, first year I spent over 1000 on books. 2nd year, probably 600. 3rd year. digital copies for everything.

4th year. hopefully not spending a dime

V6-BoI
08-16-2012, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by flipstah

:werd: x 1000. I remember being all keen in first year buying all my books before class even started (even though people told me not to). I think this will happen to 95% of all first year university students.

Then as the years progressed, I avoided buying text books as much as I could. Those damn things cost well over $130 per book. Multiply that by 10 to 11 classes, and there goes all your money that you could be spending eating at Mac Hall or drunking during ThursDen

bjstare
08-16-2012, 02:19 PM
The key to getting all your books and not going broke is buying online. abebooks.com/amazon/ebay and you can get the Chinese and Indian editions of a bunch of engr books. Same as the North American ones, but they're soft cover, printed on rice paper, and cost like $4 a piece hahaha

WithTheLightsOn
08-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Yeah, no need to rush to buy books now. I've stopped buying books unless the class has open books exams or what not.

And thanks for reminding me to check for my own books. Pirate Bay, here I come...

Feruk
08-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Don't buy any books till you've had your first couple classes. That way you'll know what you need and what you don't. Some books will be an absolute must, but some you won't even use once.

Originally posted by killramos
I haven't even finnished third year of my degree and I notice people who barely slid through the process. Not the kind of people I want to be working with...
One of my good buddies in Engg was a huge slacker. Got into internship with 2.02 GPA in 3rd year and finished with 2.3 or something. Got into work and turned out to be one of the most successful guys from my graduating class. Also knew some 3.5+ GPA engineers. Some of these guys turned out very good in the work force, but others turned out to be terrible engineers. School grades do not at all reflect work ethic and success at work IMO.

bjstare
08-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
School grades do not at all reflect work ethic and success at work IMO.

this

Success at work depends so much on interpersonal skills - if you're an engineer who's good with people, it seems like you have a much easier time getting ahead.

lison
08-16-2012, 10:37 PM

Sweet thanks! The issue with buying them late is I'm forced to go to the bookstore and get gypped cause it'll be too late to get books shipped online...

Originally posted by flipstah

Hahaha!

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
haha ya, first year I spent over 1000 on books. 2nd year, probably 600. 3rd year. digital copies for everything.

4th year. hopefully not spending a dime

I'm lucky, borrowed my friends books and notes from first year for 40 bucks! So hopefully I can cross off the book for 233 and 211.

Originally posted by V6-BoI

:werd: x 1000. I remember being all keen in first year buying all my books before class even started (even though people told me not to). I think this will happen to 95% of all first year university students.

Then as the years progressed, I avoided buying text books as much as I could. Those damn things cost well over $130 per book. Multiply that by 10 to 11 classes, and there goes all your money that you could be spending eating at Mac Hall or drunking during ThursDen

I shall be the 5% that doesn't, gonna live the life of a poor student and pack lunches, bologna sandwiches yay! =S

Originally posted by cjblair
The key to getting all your books and not going broke is buying online. abebooks.com/amazon/ebay and you can get the Chinese and Indian editions of a bunch of engr books. Same as the North American ones, but they're soft cover, printed on rice paper, and cost like $4 a piece hahaha

=O I haven't seen books that cheap, please share!

Originally posted by WithTheLightsOn
Yeah, no need to rush to buy books now. I've stopped buying books unless the class has open books exams or what not.

And thanks for reminding me to check for my own books. Pirate Bay, here I come...

Maybe I'll put off buying books for a couple weeks

Originally posted by Feruk
Don't buy any books till you've had your first couple classes. That way you'll know what you need and what you don't. Some books will be an absolute must, but some you won't even use once.

One of my good buddies in Engg was a huge slacker. Got into internship with 2.02 GPA in 3rd year and finished with 2.3 or something. Got into work and turned out to be one of the most successful guys from my graduating class. Also knew some 3.5+ GPA engineers. Some of these guys turned out very good in the work force, but others turned out to be terrible engineers. School grades do not at all reflect work ethic and success at work IMO.

I think social skills and networks matter the most ;P

So are custom editions basically "rebadged" with less chapters? and what does Npp, Aplia and "binder ready version" mean? Thanks!

WithTheLightsOn
08-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Sorry for going a bit off-topic OP, but speaking of textbooks and power engineering, my girlfriend's brother is going into the PET program at SAIT this fall and was asking me for some help the other day to check out some things. He didn't get the complete textbook list for this fall yet, but according to their bookstore's website one of his courses requires him to buy an 850-fucking-dollar textbook. :eek: After doing some googling he told me that apparently it's some sort of huge bound package, but he couldn't find more than that.

If you know what I'm taking about, is this shit made of fucking platinum or something? I'm guessing he'll have to buy it, but can he at least get it used?

Other than that, any advice on textbooks or the program in general would be appreciated. I'll pass on the info to him.

lison
08-19-2012, 08:49 PM
You'll need the books if you're the paper type of person but PM me maybe I can hunt some people down for used books or something.

Originally posted by WithTheLightsOn
Sorry for going a bit off-topic OP, but speaking of textbooks and power engineering, my girlfriend's brother is going into the PET program at SAIT this fall and was asking me for some help the other day to check out some things. He didn't get the complete textbook list for this fall yet, but according to their bookstore's website one of his courses requires him to buy an 850-fucking-dollar textbook. :eek: After doing some googling he told me that apparently it's some sort of huge bound package, but he couldn't find more than that.

If you know what I'm taking about, is this shit made of fucking platinum or something? I'm guessing he'll have to buy it, but can he at least get it used?

Other than that, any advice on textbooks or the program in general would be appreciated. I'll pass on the info to him.

94boosted
08-21-2012, 08:13 AM

Have you actually done both SAIT & UofC programs so you can accurately make that statement?

I have a few friends that did the SAIT -> University route and that's not what they tell me.

DIPLOMAS ARE NOTHING LIKE DEGREES, THEY DO NOT PREPARE YOU AT ALL.

Don't prepare you at all...... yah right :facepalm:

My experiences have been the exact opposite comparing Tech. grads to BS.c grads.

Originally posted by Cos

Dont be stupid, work hard, and get into a company that pays people what they are worth not what you have behind your name.

This couldn't be more true.

I want to try out stamping hahaha. Should be decent.

Don't forget you can stamp with just a Tech. Diploma, it will take more experience and you will be limited in what you can stamp but you will be able to should you decide that that's what you want.

http://www.apega.ca/Applicants/Professional-Licensee/toc.html

BlancheBigwig
08-21-2012, 10:17 AM
This forum is quite interesting.

Maybe some of you in here could be of help to me as well.

I am currently taking the EET program at Sait and now looking to taking the Camosun bridge to UVic. I didn't go right into the degree since I didn't know how much I'd like it.
Just wondering how many of you have done this and how you found it.
I am taking an Educational Leave of Absence from SaskPower who I have worked with for 6 years. When we look at the pay scales, there really isn't a huge difference.
Is it worth the extra 2.5 years of school and lost wages to acutally do the degree?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

lison
08-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by BlancheBigwig
This forum is quite interesting.

Maybe some of you in here could be of help to me as well.

I am currently taking the EET program at Sait and now looking to taking the Camosun bridge to UVic. I didn't go right into the degree since I didn't know how much I'd like it.
Just wondering how many of you have done this and how you found it.
I am taking an Educational Leave of Absence from SaskPower who I have worked with for 6 years. When we look at the pay scales, there really isn't a huge difference.
Is it worth the extra 2.5 years of school and lost wages to acutally do the degree?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

For myself, I wouldn't want to be working in the field forever, that's why I'm doing more school, I've seen my ideal job, which was a combination of office and field work at a power plant, so I'm going towards that.

lison
09-15-2012, 11:15 PM
So, after the first week of "Engineering", I thought it might be good to update on the situation, as some may be interested.

I went to orientation the week before so I knew my way around-ish.

I am taking a 5 courses and this is what I've learned so far:

a. it's a fast-paced environment
b. girl to guy ratio(in my block) is 1 to 3
c. some profs are ESL
d. profs have wicked humour
e. textbooks are expensive, I bought ONE.
f. lecture halls are humongous
g. no seating plan, meeting people all the time
h. not a lot of plugins in lecture halls
i. lots of online work
j. Elsabrouty is a beauty, worthy of his title "God of Calculus"

Problems? Yes, linear algebra. :dunno:

Regrets on transferring? No. :D

dandia89
09-15-2012, 11:27 PM

that's actually a good ratio, compared to when i was in first year.

a social dsease
09-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Good luck OP. You will find engineering to be extremely challenging, time consuming, exhausting and soul-sapping, however it will also be one of the most rewarding things you do in life and I hope you enjoy it.

Some advice for you: go to every class, PAY ATTENTION AND TAKE NOTES IN EVERY CLASS, do ALL assignments and labs, DO NOT leave anything until the last minute, be prepared to come in on evenings/saturdays/sundays, and lastly DO NOT take too much advice/help from other students - if you can't figure something out yourself and the textbook doesn't help, ask the prof. Oh and try to enjoy yourself. If you are committed you will do well!

Also, why are you worried about plug-ins? I'm not sure what use a laptop could possibly be in engineering (other than to surf the net when you should be paying attention)?

chibwack
09-16-2012, 10:19 AM
^ what he said! Avoid bringing any/all electronics to class, even the cell. It's just too tempting to keep checking fb or play games or whatever. Pen, paper and calculator is all you need. Especially for math classes.

guessboi
09-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Don't buy textbooks until you need to!!! If you go to class, you probably don't need to buy it. I saved a whack of money back in the days not buying textbooks.

lison
09-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by dandia89

that's actually a good ratio, compared to when i was in first year.

My first friend in engg was a girl ;)

Originally posted by a social dsease
Good luck OP. You will find engineering to be extremely challenging, time consuming, exhausting and soul-sapping, however it will also be one of the most rewarding things you do in life and I hope you enjoy it.

Some advice for you: go to every class, PAY ATTENTION AND TAKE NOTES IN EVERY CLASS, do ALL assignments and labs, DO NOT leave anything until the last minute, be prepared to come in on evenings/saturdays/sundays, and lastly DO NOT take too much advice/help from other students - if you can't figure something out yourself and the textbook doesn't help, ask the prof. Oh and try to enjoy yourself. If you are committed you will do well!

Also, why are you worried about plug-ins? I'm not sure what use a laptop could possibly be in engineering (other than to surf the net when you should be paying attention)?

Plug-ins cause I have some digital textbooks! My laptop only lasts like 2 hours! Don't worry, I pay attention and take lots of notes~ I'm trying to work ahead, keep things up to date and rewriting notes before the next lecture =D

Thanks for the advice though =P
Oh and already no social life, except studying or reading with people cause more people means more workrooms booked!

Originally posted by chibwack
^ what he said! Avoid bringing any/all electronics to class, even the cell. It's just too tempting to keep checking fb or play games or whatever. Pen, paper and calculator is all you need. Especially for math classes.

I do the occasional text but fb and gaming are last priorities!

Originally posted by guessboi
Don't buy textbooks until you need to!!! If you go to class, you probably don't need to buy it. I saved a whack of money back in the days not buying textbooks.

Like I said, only bought one textbook! =P

Oh and do you guys know any supplementary materials for Math211(Linear Algebra)? The prof doesn't do a very good job explaining, hell he doesn't even explain. Quoting him, "See augmented matrix? Solve like a machine, next slide"

holden
10-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Wish this happened when I went to engg.

1lyHQLyZUuM

lison
10-14-2012, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by holden
Wish this happened when I went to engg.

1lyHQLyZUuM

Omg that content in that video is quite true!

azian_advanced
10-14-2012, 08:29 PM
agreed

rinny
10-19-2012, 01:28 AM
HiTempguy1- Your ignorant comments have absolutely no foundation to stand on whatsoever!!! Pull your head out of your (engineering, i presume) ass!

Until you've experienced the diploma-bridge-university route you cannot, just simply CANNOT say this at all.

I earned my diploma, worked for 2 years, completed the bridge and am in UVic right now. My technical knowledge from my diploma combined with the math and analytical skills from the bridge have more than adequately prepared me for university.

You should know that every important math, science, programming etc class that you do in 1 and 2 years, we do in the bridge- every one of them!!

Students passing through university know how to learn theoretically, ie. read books. Many also cant connect the positive wire to a battery. Books cant teach intuition.

It doesnt matter that the diploma students dont do the BS courses that Uni students do in first 2 years, what matters is they get caught up on their math/science/analytical skills through the transfer program, and the final product of the bridge is actually a much more INTUITIVE student with fine math skills.

I admit SAIT was rather straightforward, but I will say that the Bridge was harder than hell- 6 months (yes, you take 2 FULL semesters, 3 months each, 6-7 university classes each) of 9-10pm+ nights. That shit will make or break a person. It's certainly made me gain greater appreciation for engineering but snots like you make me shake my head. Go learn some logic.

lison
02-11-2013, 03:31 AM
UPDATE

Met Sanjay, that is all.

V6-BoI
02-11-2013, 08:40 AM
So, after the first week of "Engineering", I thought it might be good to update on the situation, as some may be interested.

I went to orientation the week before so I knew my way around-ish.

I am taking a 5 courses and this is what I've learned so far:

a. it's a fast-paced environment
c. some profs are ESL
d. profs have wicked humour
e. textbooks are expensive, I bought ONE.
f. lecture halls are humongous
g. no seating plan, meeting people all the time
h. not a lot of plugins in lecture halls
i. lots of online work
j. Elsabrouty is a beauty, worthy of his title "God of Calculus"

Problems? Yes, linear algebra. :dunno:

Heh all these points make me reminisce about the good ol days in Engineering. Wanted to comment on some of your points:

b. That is a pretty damn good ratio. If you go into Electrical, that ratio changes to 1:10. Might be able to retain that ratio if you go into Chem or Geomatics

c. That's always a challenge. I get happy when see a professors name that is easy to pronounce.

j. He's still there eh? That man is the Calculus God.

UPDATE

Met Sanjay, that is all.

I can't believe he's still there. He first joined U of C when I did which was back in 2002.

turbotrip
02-11-2013, 11:21 AM
UPDATE

Met Sanjay, that is all.

I was sure "the don" graduated last year?

dirtsniffer
02-11-2013, 11:35 AM
nope, I saw him a few times last semester.:rofl:

Disoblige
02-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Pretty sure Sanjay went to Diefenbaker from 2000-2004.
So if anyone saw him during 2002 timeframe, I don't think he was a student there yet.
Maybe I'm wrong?

jwslam
02-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Pretty sure Sanjay went to Diefenbaker from 2000-2004.
So if anyone saw him during 2002 timeframe, I don't think he was a student there yet.
Maybe I'm wrong?
2004 grad sounds right.
2003-2004 was my gr10 year and he was there.

V6-BoI
02-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

2004 grad sounds right.
2003-2004 was my gr10 year and he was there.

I graduated in 2002 from dief, I thought he graduared the same year. I guess he's probably younger.

jwslam
02-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by V6-BoI
I graduated in 2002 from dief, I thought he graduared the same year. I guess he's probably younger.
Maybe he spent more time at diefenbaker than the average person too...

WithTheLightsOn
02-26-2013, 01:36 AM
Speaking of Sanjay, today he was at the enc lab being loud and obnoxious as usual. Apparently he's trying to get into grad school now. :rofl: The girl he was sitting next to eventually snapped and told him to keep his voice down, so he ended up calling campus security on her because she was "disturbing his studies".

Disoblige
02-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Haha, Sanjay is a funny guy. As long as you set boundaries with him, I can think of worse people to associate with than him. You just need to know how to deal with someone like him.

He's also fucking gross, always playing with his spit in classes and labs.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-26-2013, 10:50 AM
I can only imagine the amount of money his parents must donate to the University to keep that waste of oxygen in school.