PDA

View Full Version : Post car accident damages

180drft
11-23-2011, 11:21 AM
So It's been about 5 months since I was in a pretty bad accident and I want to know what I should do about my physical damage to my body. I don't know how to explain but I'll do my best.

Here's what as happened so far:
- Guy ran a red light and T-Boned me. (I have PLPD insurance)
- His insurance pays me $8,000 for my 180sx
- I got an MRI and I have a little spine twist or whatever and subluxation. The X-Ray doesn't show much either. So It's just deep tissue BS so far.
- My insurance adjuster who is covering my physical rehab is calling me every month to try and settle?
- I have been doing physio for about 4 months now and im not getting that much better... (2-3 times per week)

What can I do from here?
- Sue the guy who hit me? (But I settled for the $8000 so does that mean i can't?)
- Can I get a cash settlement from the adjuster for my time/ gas money for all the physio?

Any info would help... Thanks

03ozwhip
11-23-2011, 11:32 AM
suing and taking the pay out for your car are 2 different things, unless you signed something that you settled for that, call a lawyer

Masked Bandit
11-23-2011, 01:02 PM
The first payout is for the car only.

You don't sue the driver, you sue his insurance company. In the end you shouldn't have to actually go all the way to court either. You should probably end up negotiating with the adjuster that keeps calling you.

DO NOT SETTLE on anything until you are either fully recovered or your doctor has advised that this is as good as it gets.

Kloubek
11-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
DO NOT SETTLE on anything until you are either fully recovered or your doctor has advised that this is as good as it gets.

THIS. Do not settle on what you *anticipate* to be your recovery, since the true timeline may end up entirely different.

ExtraSlow
11-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Be very clear with the adjuster that you do not plan on settling until you have fully recovered. This type of injury can be very nasty to rehab.

180drft
11-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Aight cool, thanks dudes.

I will ride out the physio for the next few months until im fixed. But until then should I negotiate with the adjuster on a cash settlement for all the time/gas money involved with all this physio? Or should I wait till im healed to negotiate?

I have no money for a lawyer... Is there someone I can call for free advice? or who you would reccomend?

bspot
11-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Just wait on it.

I was in physio for about a year from a car accident. Once I was done, they came over and made their offer. It looked good right away, more than covered any monetary expenses I had and made up for the PITA it was.

The only thing I negotiated for was a 1 year window to have more physio covered if things regressed.

spikerS
11-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 180drft
Aight cool, thanks dudes.

I will ride out the physio for the next few months until im fixed. But until then should I negotiate with the adjuster on a cash settlement for all the time/gas money involved with all this physio? Or should I wait till im healed to negotiate?

I have no money for a lawyer... Is there someone I can call for free advice? or who you would reccomend?

waiting till you are done is the best bet.

And injury lawyers do not charge anything upfront, and you don't pay anything until you collect from the insurance company. These lawyers charge a flat rate of 33 and 1/3rd % of what ever you settlement will be, well most of them do, some will charge a little less depending on the situation. With these lawyers, you don't pay them unless you collect, if you don't collect, they don't get paid.