PDA

View Full Version : New Small SUV $20-25000?

Hakkola
11-23-2011, 02:50 PM
My sis is looking for a new car, options are the Nissan Rogue, Jeep Compass North Plus Edition and Jeep Patriot North Plus so far. She's going to Toyota today to check out what they have, and while not an SUV I convinced her to give the Yaris hatchback a test drive.

If she gets a Jeep she can get about $4500 off the price regardless of the model I believe.

She works in the city but likes to go skiing etc, so out to the mountains pretty often.

Any other suggestions? These cars any good? She's leaning towards the Jeeps at the moment, I think the Compass in particular.

freshprince1
11-23-2011, 03:09 PM
If she's only considering the one's you've listed, I'd suggest the Rogue, but make sure to get the AWD. In my opinion, she will have less problems with it during ownership and it shouldn't be too hard to resell later down the road.

max_boost
11-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Definitely AWD!

How about new Subaru Impreza Hatch? Very fuel efficient too. Auto is 5.5l/100kms!

bspot
11-23-2011, 03:56 PM
New Escape:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1U-nSj7XGU8/TghiKYl5K5I/AAAAAAAAAKA/-XrXs1akIp4/s1600/2009-ford-kuga_100168581_s.jpg

Dave P
11-23-2011, 04:03 PM
The Jeeps are gutless. That 4 banger sucks balls. i hate driving my gf's patriot. Although she has a Limited, and its pretty nice. just terrible motor.

Her parents have a new escape. Its pretty nice, and the v6 has some jam

Hakkola
11-23-2011, 04:07 PM
So the Jeeps are not worth it, even with almost 5 grand off?

I'll tell her to look at the escape, that actually looks pretty nice.

JustinMCS
11-23-2011, 04:31 PM
The new escape is not quite available yet. It is available spring of 2012, so if she can wait, it looks pretty nice.

http://www.ford.ca/app/fo/en/future_vehicles.do#escape1?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=cids11NECE_GOO;

94boosted
11-23-2011, 05:40 PM
What about the Hyundai Tuscon/Kia Sportage :dunno:

xnvy
11-23-2011, 06:49 PM
It's not that small but maybe the Honda Pilot is worth a look? :dunno:

CanmoreOrLess
11-23-2011, 09:36 PM
She might like a Jeep Wrangler (sub 19K, with 3,200 off), with the new Pentastar engine for 2012, better in every way. Let's face it, your sister is not really going to look for a performance vehicle, her needs are far from the norm of those on Beyond.

Here is a longterm review I have been following:

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/Vehicles/2012-jeep-wrangler/

This vehicle is high on my list for new in April, still weighing an Outlander, Wrangler, etc.

"At the core of improvements for our 2012 Wrangler is the engine. Does the new Pentastar V6 make a big difference? Jeep claims 40 percent more horsepower, 10 percent more torque, and 26 percent faster 0-60 mph. The 3.6L Pentastar V6 engine delivers 285 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque." From Edmonds report.

One still has to be concerned with Jeep quality. You could steer he towards a 2019-11 lightly used and save the depreciation and get more vehicle for the dollar. She could get a Forester with the massive sunroof or something along this thought process.

Aleks
11-23-2011, 10:36 PM
In that price range Jeeps, Nissan Rogue base AWD, Mitsu RVR maybe. I doubt there is anything else on the market sub 25k in the small SUV range.

Possibly the outgoing Ford Escape with incentives to clear them out of the new ones?

trieuth
11-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
It's not that small but maybe the Honda Pilot is worth a look? :dunno:

did you even look at the price range?

Canucks3322
11-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Buy my Nissan Juke...fuck the Rogue.:D

Canucks3322
11-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Ps...the production Edge is on their website, looks nothing like the concepts, ugly as hell.....if you're gonna wait that long, get the Mazda CX5

iLLlegal
11-25-2011, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Ps...the production Edge is on their website, looks nothing like the concepts, ugly as hell.....if you're gonna wait that long, get the Mazda CX5

Yeah I would suggest either waiting for the 2013 Ford Escape or the Mazda CX-5. If you can't wait I'd say test drive a Hyundai Tuscon or Kia Sportage (which is what I would get if she didn't want to wait)

Mitsubishi RVR is gay balls and I haven't read a good review yet and I would def stay away from Jeep even though they have a decent price point. And am I the only one who thinks the Rogue looks ugly...

gram
11-25-2011, 04:55 AM
I test drove most of these. In this price range and if it was my sister I would have her seriously consider the Subaru Impreza, It's a much better deal than most of the cars listed here and will be super reliable unlike a 4cyl Jeep. It will also hold value much better and is pretty good on gas (I assume budget is a concern due to the price point)

The Subaru is AWD (awesome for skiing etc-room for skis) but without the big size and fuel consumption of a sport ute.

Good luck either way:)

Aleks
11-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by iLLlegal

Yeah I would suggest either waiting for the 2013 Ford Escape or the Mazda CX-5. If you can't wait I'd say test drive a Hyundai Tuscon or Kia Sportage (which is what I would get if she didn't want to wait)

Mitsubishi RVR is gay balls and I haven't read a good review yet and I would def stay away from Jeep even though they have a decent price point. And am I the only one who thinks the Rogue looks ugly...

None of the above can be had under 25k with AWD. Jeep really is the only option if that's the cap on a new vehicle. Or Impreza, which is probably the smart choice if AWD is a must at this price range.

Canucks3322
11-25-2011, 11:24 PM
^ Nissan Juke comes in at under 25,000 very well equipped or OP can buy mine for under 25 fully loaded (less Navi package ):poosie:

jwslam
11-25-2011, 11:32 PM
My mom bought the 10 compass.
Personally I don't like it (even on the fact that I've only ever been a passenger in it).
I find there's a LOT of road noise, materials feel really cheap, and that giant dash is very unappealing.

iLLlegal
11-25-2011, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
^ Nissan Juke comes in at under 25,000 very well equipped or OP can buy mine for under 25 fully loaded (less Navi package ):poosie:

yeah we heard you the first time, buy your juke. blah blah :poosie:

and Aleks the way it sounds is "hey since you have a budget of under 25k settle for a jeep and be happy that you made a poor investment" if anything I'd say save up a couple more G's and get something else. I will however agree that she should look into a subaru

Hakkola
11-29-2011, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the input, I actually sent her a text today to have a look at the Subaru. She might be willing to move up to 30g's. Jeep is out. You guys have been a big help. :thumbsup:

Hakkola
12-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Thought I'd update, she ended up spending 32g and got some Kia, sorento or something, totally different from what she was looking for...

Masked Bandit
12-01-2011, 08:34 PM
The Sorento has been getting some pretty decent reviews. At that price point though she probably could have got into a CR-V or RAV4, both of which will have better resale value.

Redlyne_mr2
12-02-2011, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
The Sorento has been getting some pretty decent reviews. At that price point though she probably could have got into a CR-V or RAV4, both of which will have better resale value.

this

luxor
12-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Hyundai, Kia, Daewoo are all :thumbsdow

I don't care how good because they ripped off 10 different cars and putting it into one, or how much value you get for what you pay, or how the specs on paper are better than its competitors of same class while being only half the price. You get what you pay for in the end and Korean cars are junk and always will be. Should've went for the Rogue.

arian_ma
12-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by luxor

I don't care how good because they ripped off 10 different cars and putting it into one, or how much value you get for what you pay, or how the specs on paper are better than its competitors of same class while being only half the price. You get what you pay for in the end and Korean cars are junk and always will be. Should've went for the Rogue.
Hmm that's what everyone said about American cars 3 years ago.

luxor
12-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Umm not really, Americans have been making cars MUCH longer than the Koreans and they don't need to rip off their competitor's designs as they do their own design work themselves. Sure the average American car is cheaper then their similar Japanese competitors and have more standard options, but look at their resale value and quality. BUT the Korean cars are even cheaper then the American ones, what does that tell you about resale and quality? Sure the Forte may look like a Civic coupe, but it will never be a Civic. Can't afford a G37? Get a Genesis.

arian_ma
12-02-2011, 01:18 PM
What I meant was:
2007 American car:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/05-07_Ford_Taurus_SE_sedan.jpg
2010 American Car:
http://blog.healyford.ca/images/2010-Ford_Taurus_SHO_side_shot.jpg

American cars were horrible 5 years ago and had a terrible reputation, now Ford is on my personal short list. Same thing with Hyundai.

Guillermo
12-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

a better way to say this is "that's what everyone said about Japanese cars 30 years ago" - which is absolutely true. and jap cars did suck 30 years ago, and now look how everyone has been jocking Honda and Toyota for the last 15 years.

people are already starting to jock Hyundai, give it another 5 or 10 years and people making ignorant statements like the one below will be EATING CROW:

^^^:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

luxor
12-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Guillermo

a better way to say this is "that's what everyone said about Japanese cars 30 years ago" - which is absolutely true. and jap cars did suck 30 years ago, and now look how everyone has been jocking Honda and Toyota for the last 15 years.

people are already starting to jock Hyundai, give it another 5 or 10 years and people making ignorant statements like the one below will be EATING CROW:

^^^:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Triple facepalm?:facepalm:

Come back in 5 years and tell me how good they are still doing when this Korean junk hype is over. Like I said, if I was a broke ass like you and wanted a G37 I'd go buy a Genesis so I can look like I'm in a G37 from afar :rofl:

Go eat shit Guidollermo and while you are at it go "diagnose" more cars for free.

iLLlegal
12-03-2011, 12:54 AM
korean junk hype.... oh man. yeah its totally just a phase we'll grow out of it :rolleyes:

msommers
12-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Have you looked at the US economy? They'll be all over whatever is cheap and good on gas.

Guillermo
12-03-2011, 03:33 PM

Triple facepalm?:facepalm:

Come back in 5 years and tell me how good they are still doing when this Korean junk hype is over. Like I said, if I was a broke ass like you and wanted a G37 I'd go buy a Genesis so I can look like I'm in a G37 from afar :rofl:

Go eat shit Guidollermo and while you are at it go "diagnose" more cars for free.

LOL, you're the one posting ignorant and false crap on the internet, and then telling me to "eat shit?" stay classy buddy. have to say i'm not surprised at that language though, i mean look at your signature. :rolleyes: i bet you work in road construction or something.

luxor
12-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo

LOL, you're the one posting ignorant and false crap on the internet, and then telling me to "eat shit?" stay classy buddy. have to say i'm not surprised at that language though, i mean look at your signature. :rolleyes: i bet you work in road construction or something.

:rofl:

Yeah all us road construction guys hate Korean cars so better watch out next time you drive your wannabe knock-off Korean crap around us. My neck is also pretty damn red from working outside so much near my lifted truck.

Guillermo
12-04-2011, 03:52 PM
^^i don't drive a korean car, but i'm still gonna call you out when you're spewing shit all over the interwebs. :poosie:

Rat Fink
12-04-2011, 06:22 PM