PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Used a Professional Resume Writing Service?

kgeig254
11-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Has anyone used any of the local companies, and if so how was your experience? I am looking at getting one done.

Sugarphreak
11-24-2011, 04:24 PM

BrknFngrs
11-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Have you looked at templates online at all as an option?

This is where I'd start as well.

With all of the information and details you'd have provide to a professional anyway you're essentially paying them for formatting.

I'd say there is value in having a professional review your resume after you've drafted it though. If you've attended any post secondary institution they'll normally have a career centre that will give you comments at no charge.

kgeig254
11-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Have you looked at templates online at all as an option?

I have, but honestly I am willing to spend the few hundred bucks to have something created for me. I am at the point in my career where this would serve me well. I can only imagine my competition will be doing the same.

Hakkola
11-24-2011, 04:34 PM
I spent a couple hundred on mine, wasn't at all necessary and he basically kept it the same as what I had, huge waste of money.

lint
11-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by kgeig254
I am at the point in my career where this would serve me well. I can only imagine my competition will be doing the same.

what point in your career is this?

kgeig254
11-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by lint

what point in your career is this?

Mid-level professional. I am looking to move up the ladder with my next opportunity. I am happy where I am but looking to open some doors.

Mar
11-24-2011, 05:08 PM
I can not stress how beneficial this will be for you, I did it in 2006 and the $300 spent on the resume got me an additional $10,000 annually in my next job. Then my next job doubled my salary and I've found that I've pretty much gotten every job I've interviewed for since then, all thanks to a more professional resume which sticks out from the rest. Anytime I've reformatted my freinds' resumes it has helped them as well.

The only thing a resume does is get you an interview, form that point on you're on your own, no resume in the world will help you. And the more professional the resume, it will be much, much easier to get that interview. I say do it.

Disoblige
11-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Talk to a friend who already had one done professionally and steal his template :D

kgeig254
11-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I can not stress how beneficial this will be for you, I did it in 2006 and the $300 spent on the resume got me an additional $10,000 annually in my next job. Then my next job doubled my salary and I've found that I've pretty much gotten every job I've interviewed for since then, all thanks to a more professional resume which sticks out from the rest. Anytime I've reformatted my freinds' resumes it has helped them as well.

The only thing a resume does is get you an interview, form that point on you're on your own, no resume in the world will help you. And the more professional the resume, it will be much, much easier to get that interview. I say do it.

To that point, I have always been successful once I get to the interview stage. Would you mind giving me the contact where you got yours done?

Mar
11-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by kgeig254

To that point, I have always been successful once I get to the interview stage. Would you mind giving me the contact where you got yours done?
I just used Monster, they were awesome. I had them do my resume and also spent another $120 or so to get them to do a cover letter. Well worth it.

jaylo
11-24-2011, 06:13 PM
:confused:

With the amount of information on the internet these days, you'd have to be an idiot not to know how to write a decent Resume and Cover Letter.

...Or just plain lazy

Mar
11-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by jaylo
:confused:

With the amount of information on the internet these days, you'd have to be an idiot not to know how to write a decent Resume and Cover Letter.

...Or just plain lazy
Let's see yours.

lint
11-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Mar
Let's see yours.

post yours first

Sugarphreak
11-25-2011, 08:57 AM

tenth
11-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Mar
lol, a bit confusing because you say your $300 resume got you $10k, but then later say all it does is get you in the door. If you're in a very competitive field, you have a poor resume, and you're not very good with the internet, then for sure it might help. But if you're reasonably competent in word and have put a reasonable amount of work and effort into your resume, you should get into the building so long as you're remotely qualified for the job, and as you noted, that's all the resume will do anyways.

I beefed up my resume for free last year with the help of a good proofreader, the internet, and some comments from a headhunter. In the end, I also doubled my compensation in a job I felt I was under-qualified for. Most people here really should be able to update their own resumes.

msommers
11-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Look at resume formats online and worry more about interview skills and networking. Look over your resume for inconsistencies in spacing, periods (or none), etc. Be clear and concise. I can mot stress the formatting. HR looks for reasons to toss your resume, don't let a period be THE reason.

Ironically, almost all emails I have received from HR are poorly written and have typos!

Mar
11-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by tenth

lol, a bit confusing because you say your $300 resume got you $10k, but then later say all it does is get you in the door. If you're in a very competitive field, you have a poor resume, and you're not very good with the internet, then for sure it might help. But if you're reasonably competent in word and have put a reasonable amount of work and effort into your resume, you should get into the building so long as you're remotely qualified for the job, and as you noted, that's all the resume will do anyways.

I beefed up my resume for free last year with the help of a good proofreader, the internet, and some comments from a headhunter. In the end, I also doubled my compensation in a job I felt I was under-qualified for. Most people here really should be able to update their own resumes.
I honestly have no clue how to use Word but the resume service does more than formatting, they write the job experience out for you in a way which gets through a lot of the filters used by larger employers.

Mitsu3000gt
11-30-2011, 08:07 PM
It's not difficult to write a pretty good resume, IMO, especially with what's available online. Just use perfect grammar, spelling, consistency, etc. All stuff we learned in Jr. High or earlier.

Plus, this is Calgary, and if you work in O&G, pretty much the only thing that matters is who you know and your years of experience (not saying a resume doesn't matter).

lint
12-01-2011, 10:56 AM
http://blog.rezscore.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/how-to-create-perfect-resume.png

cidley69
12-05-2011, 09:16 AM
My current resume/cover letter is decent, but my % of call backs when sent out is not spectacular.

I'm looking for a reverse-headhunter firm. There is a position I feel qualified for, and I'd like help tailoring my resume/cover letter so that it gets me past the initial screening and on to the interview stage at least.

Can anyone suggest a company that provides such a service?

M.alex
12-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by cidley69
My current resume/cover letter is decent, but my % of call backs when sent out is not spectacular.

Given positions get flooded (e.g., hundreds of applicants) that's not too too surprising - sometimes it has nothing to do with your resume, just your bad luck that you're applicant #70 out of 400 and they're tossing out anybody after 15.

Sugarphreak
12-05-2011, 11:04 AM

FoxTrot
12-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by cidley69

Can anyone suggest a company that provides such a service?

I have both my resume and cover letter tailered. I went to a govt funded course last summer called tactics for success but theyre not longer here. It was a good course and learned a lot about resume and cover letter writing.

Theres a govt office on 8th and 8th sw downtown, i know they have a short term course that is govt funded and its on resume writing.

msommers
12-05-2011, 05:54 PM

I think it was COS that told me this; his boss takes most of the resumes that come in and throws them in the garbage... citing he doesn't like to work with unlucky people :rofl:

While it's actually pretty damn funny to hear that phrase, the reality of that is scary as hell for us recent graduates trying to get positions downtown, especially in the shape the job market is in right now.

Lots of companies are listing "junior" professional positions with 5+ years experience. Where the fuck are they finding these people?!

7thgenvic
12-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by msommers

While it's actually pretty damn funny to hear that phrase, the reality of that is scary as hell for us recent graduates trying to get positions downtown, especially in the shape the job market is in right now.

Lots of companies are listing "junior" professional positions with 5+ years experience. Where the fuck are they finding these people?!

Tell me about it... Most of these job postings are asking for a designation and +3 years experience for a junior analyst position... FUCKING GAY.

M.alex
12-05-2011, 11:54 PM

I think it was COS that told me this; his boss takes most of the resumes that come in and throws them in the garbage... citing he doesn't like to work with unlucky people :rofl:

I wouldn't doubt it - nobody wants to read 400 resumes for 1 jr. analyst position :rofl:

polarice
12-06-2011, 06:11 PM
I used a resume writing service and it hasn't landed me a job. In fact, the more I alter it the better response I seem to get. It was helpful in teasing out the skills from my previous employment that would be applicable to the positions I am applying for.

I'd suggest using the internet + feedback from friends that are talented writers.

It is disappointing to see the amount of "junior" positions with seemingly senior qualification listings. Calgary has the most educated work force in Canada. No wonder it is difficult to find a job. Le sigh.

visualk
12-13-2011, 12:17 AM
I've searched alot of templates to use for my resume and cover letter, and while I've had okay success I am wondering if anyone out there can post a successful resume template and/or cover letter that they use that get results