PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: TomcoPDR - How expensive can hail damage get?

zipdoa
11-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Looking at buying this UrS4 tonight, I will obviously get better pictures for a proper estimate, but just judging by the trunk alone, what kind of ballpark are we looking at to fix this beauty up?

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/kjc/111124/625r1/4906d16_20.jpeg
http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/kjc/111124/625r1/5258mlf_20.jpeg

pf0sh0
11-24-2011, 06:35 PM
No real input about the hail damage, but I test drove this exact car over a year ago, but the previous seller before this guy couldn't let it go at the time. Such a a beauty, I love urs4's

zipdoa
11-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by pf0sh0
No real input about the hail damage, but I test drove this exact car over a year ago, but the previous seller before this guy couldn't let it go at the time. Such a a beauty, I love urs4's

Yea, apparently Joe the current owner is the 3rd owner.

I'll probably end up being the 4th, depending how bad the hail damage is and how much he's willing to move on price. I'll make a thread when I buy it.

What were your impressions? It's still got low k (150k) and it looks very clean, plus being a 92-spec it's my ideal ride.

craigcd
11-24-2011, 08:06 PM
My wifes EL had less than that- to the extent it wouldnt show up in pictures and i think the insurance claim was $3200. Likely hard without actually seeing it. Has the car been wrtitten off due to the damage? Wonder if the owner took a cash settlement and is now selling it?

zipdoa
11-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by craigcd
My wifes EL had less than that- to the extent it wouldnt show up in pictures and i think the insurance claim was $3200. Likely hard without actually seeing it. Has the car been wrtitten off due to the damage? Wonder if the owner took a cash settlement and is now selling it?

Never claimed, it was sitting for a long time when it happened and he "apparently" was too late to claim it cause it happened in July.

craigcd
11-24-2011, 08:28 PM
I claimed mine months after also- I would maybe carproof it just in case. Not really a big deal if it is a cosmetic writeoff but it might hurt your chances or reselling later.

rob the knob
11-24-2011, 08:41 PM
find new trunk?

rob the knob
11-24-2011, 08:43 PM
ad say
~ condition sold, listing inquirers

you buy? nice car.

Fully loaded car. Inline 5 cylinder 2.2L turbo, Quattro, low kms, BC car most of its life. Heated power leather seats (both sides), power sunroof (both ways), windows and locks, original keys right down to the key cut code! Car registers as a 1993, but is an 03/92 (Audi enthusiast know what this means), car received hail damage last July in storage, and was only noticed now as I started to use the car, too late to claim on insurance. Brand new Toyo winter tires mounted on stock 15", Mille Miglia 17" summer set, possible deal on 19" Lenso's, email for way more detail!

rob the knob
11-24-2011, 08:45 PM
this is awsome:

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/kjc/111124/625r1/5924b9_20.jpeg

TomcoPDR
11-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Mike, it can get into thousand or thousands for hail damage repair... (with PDR method, or bodyshop)... It's not a cheap damage to experience.

A toonie size coin couldn't even cover most of those dent on the trunk. Looking at the reflection of the objects on the truck, you don't have a single straight line (i.e. window edge, rain gutter)...

In short, based on my own research, and research (and tested) by other PDR techs (even body journeyman)... with hail damage privately for sale, the "savings" aren't there. On top of that time and efforts for professionals isn't worth the headache. (I can honestly tell you, I've never taken on a private purchase hail damage, fix it myself, then try to "flip it"... I've looked on Kijiji just like everyone else... the numbers and hours I have to put in/ equity sweat, isn't worth the end market value)

corsvette
11-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Off topic but.... if you do buy that car, and ever wish to sell, please pm me!;) I regret selling mine, and all the ones for sale i've looked at are giant pos. I would love to have another urs4.

zipdoa
11-25-2011, 01:35 AM
Bought it tonight. I should probably say I stole it. I'll post pics later, but she's a 'winter beater' now.

I haven't ever seen a UrS4 in this good of shape outside the hail damage. Spent 4 hours with the seller tonight and he was a true enthusiast. Don't think I'll ever get rid of this car.

nismodrifter
11-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Beautyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Supa Dexta
11-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Be cheaper to find a new trunk wouldnt it?

then deal with the body damage.

zipdoa
11-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Be cheaper to find a new trunk wouldnt it?

then deal with the body damage.

Yeah, I got a lead on a black UrS4 parts car with a good trunk and hood... shouldn't be more than a couple hundred dollars.

pf0sh0
11-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

Yea, apparently Joe the current owner is the 3rd owner.

I'll probably end up being the 4th, depending how bad the hail damage is and how much he's willing to move on price. I'll make a thread when I buy it.

What were your impressions? It's still got low k (150k) and it looks very clean, plus being a 92-spec it's my ideal ride.

My impressions were that it was VERY clean for what it is. and it drove so nice :)

zipdoa
11-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by pf0sh0

My impressions were that it was VERY clean for what it is. and it drove so nice :)

Yeah, It's so rare to find one of these with less than 200k KMs, all the electronics working, a complete engine bay and undertray, and an excellent shape interior.

I'm very happy with this purchase. I'll probably go stage 1+ and leave it at that. This UrS4 feels great.

redblack
11-25-2011, 03:07 PM
congrats on the purchase man, i inquired about the same car yesterday afternoon but it was already on hold...damn.

Btw what ever happen to your other one, i thought you had a white one?

zipdoa
11-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by redblack
congrats on the purchase man, i inquired about the same car yesterday afternoon but it was already on hold...damn.

Btw what ever happen to your other one, i thought you had a white one?

I did. I sold it when I was unemployed this summer.

Unfortunately I had to sell off most of my build peices, including my Porsche Big Black brakes, RS2 HO EM, 034 HO Coil kit, TRE Control arm and tre kit, and a bunch of misc parts.

Real bummer.

finboy
11-29-2011, 01:55 PM
get new trunk and hood, cut off the roof, rock the fuck out

pf0sh0
11-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

Yeah, It's so rare to find one of these with less than 200k KMs, all the electronics working, a complete engine bay and undertray, and an excellent shape interior.

I'm very happy with this purchase. I'll probably go stage 1+ and leave it at that. This UrS4 feels great.

I know man, fuck! I wanted it so bad but he decided to keep it when he first put it up for sale. :cry:

zipdoa
11-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by finboy
get new trunk and hood, cut off the roof, rock the fuck out

If I made Bam Margera money I totally would. I'm sourcing a new trunk and hood right now, and I think I'll just bite the bullet and get the roof PDR'd.