PDA

View Full Version : 2011-12 Out Door Rink thread

asp integra
11-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Hey guys, starting to become that time of year again, any ODRs starting to open up in the next while? Any info or rinks you see post em up! I will keep an eye out on the ones in the west, looking to start getting some good shinny games in!

Benny
11-24-2011, 07:10 PM
When I was in town about 4 days ago I checked some of the ones in the NW. Ranchlands and Citadel weren't flooded. Silver Springs was open and the ice was beauty but I imagine the ice is gone now.

asp integra
11-29-2011, 02:18 PM
ya the recent warm weather doesnt help, hopefully we get some cold here in the next week or 2

dino_martini
12-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Olympic Plaza is open. Though:

"Just a reminder that hockey sticks, toboggans, sleds & strollers are not permitted on the ice rink"

But if anyone is just looking to get the rust out of the old skating legs, its good to go.

slick2404
12-04-2011, 03:17 PM
anyone know if any of the NW rinks are iced today? Ie. Hamptons, Sandstone, Hidden Valley?

syritis
12-04-2011, 03:29 PM
if any rinks are open silver springs will be the first . they are big into community hockey but the problem is that with so many players the ice gets chewed up really fast. valley ridge picked up a zamboni for their out door rink. the ice is great but takes a long time to flood.

Moonracer
12-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Checked Ramsey again last night and the lights weren't on so nothing yet there. :(

r3ccOs
12-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Moonracer
Checked Ramsey again last night and the lights weren't on so nothing yet there. :(

copperfield and new brighton hasn't opened yet

was going to go check out douglasdale and riverbend tonight

wes_v
12-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Keeler ODR in forest heights is open and the ice is decent! good pick up games there...

r3ccOs
12-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by wes_v
Keeler ODR in forest heights is open and the ice is decent! good pick up games there...

where is that again? out by 44th ave or something?

illtim3d
12-12-2011, 11:35 AM
sandstone and hamptons are open

wes_v
12-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

where is that again? out by 44th ave or something?

take 8th ave heading east or take memorial heading east and its on 44th street.. beside holy reedemer and keeler elementary.

r3ccOs
12-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by wes_v

take 8th ave heading east or take memorial heading east and its on 44th street.. beside holy reedemer and keeler elementary.

yea I may go there tonight, are they turning the lights on yet?

Moonracer
12-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by illtim3d
sandstone and hamptons are open

Went to sandstone rink last night and it was alright. Thanks for the tip :)

r3ccOs
12-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Douglasdale is open... but be warned that behind the north side net, there is no ice... I learnt the hard way and to pro life I went for a sharpen this morning.

I also heard whitehorn is open too.

going back to ODR is a different beast... you never know what rutt you may skate in...

do any of you guys wear elbow and knee pads? I wear nothing, but man I got a sore knee yesterday.

C_Dave45
12-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Douglasdale is open... but be warned that behind the north side net, there is no ice... I learnt the hard way and to pro life I went for a sharpen this morning.

going back to ODR is a different beast... you never know what rutt you may skate in...

do any of you guys wear elbow and knee pads? I wear nothing, but man I got a sore knee yesterday.

LOL...I checked out Southwood the other night. Plenty of ice, but also 2 feet of snow everywhere.

Yeah, those bald spots can be devastating. I used to go without any padding whatsoever, until I was at Canyon Meadows one time and a guy let a blistering slapshot go without looking (no, he wasn't shooting at the net..but the at the boards by the blueline) and he hit me on the inside of my kneecap with the puck. I dropped like a rock and felt sick to my stomach. Was on crutches for a week. So now, I'll put on my shin pads at least.

95EG6P
12-13-2011, 04:19 PM

awsome have you hear if temple is open yet ?

Moonracer
12-13-2011, 04:37 PM

I used to wear some rollerblade knee pads cause I'd occasionally fall and wack the side of my knee on the ice and it hurt like fuck. Not wearing them anymore though at least until I hit my knee again...lol

I can't handle wearing a full shin pad for outdoor hockey but I did discover that a soccer shin pad works great and is very small. It sits nicely between the top of your skate and below your knee protecting your shin from the odd lifting of the puck by someone or the idiots who tend to slash your shin with their sticks.

asp integra
12-13-2011, 11:51 PM
drove by glendale odr tonight and its looking good! gonna check it out tomorrow after work

r3ccOs
12-16-2011, 04:42 PM
went for a skate @ whitehorn with some friends, but the ice was terrible and they had the goals locked up lol!

Went to Forrest Heights CC, and it was alot of fun, they had lights, but nobody shoved for at least a day... so it was "chip it up" skate, "chip it up" skate lol

Nothing in the south is open yet other than Douglas dale that I know of in the SE (I live in Auburn and the lake is far from ready)

Alterac
12-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Was going to say whitehorn is open, but if you want nets you sometimes have to call the community assoc manager and arrange it.

The good thing is, lights are on all night, so skate till 4am if you want.

95EG6P
12-16-2011, 04:59 PM
went for a skate @ whitehorn with some friends, but the ice was terrible and they had the goals locked up lol!

)
:werd:

and temple is not even flooded and applewood rinks is not flooded either

r3ccOs
12-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Alterac
Was going to say whitehorn is open, but if you want nets you sometimes have to call the community assoc manager and arrange it.

if there weren't lights, there'd be kids with broken knees and ankles all over the place

95EG6P
12-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Alterac

i dont think so i was there 2 nights ago no lights and the nets locked up

mr2mike
12-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Any NW outdoor rinks open for business? Anxious to head out.

jdmXSI
12-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Any NW outdoor rinks open for business? Anxious to head out.

I drove by Varsity community center last night with much surprise the lights were on and kids on the rink!! I think its good 2 go:thumbsup:

asp integra
12-16-2011, 05:58 PM
went to glendale last night, pretty much the only rink in the west which is open at the moment, ice was good but there were abour 12 people aside in the game going on in the big ice, so me and my buddies just passed the puck and skated around on the smaller ice, still a good time but wayyyyy to packed

mr2mike
12-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Good to know about Varsity.

I was driving past the Capitol Hill rink and saw the guy out flooding it so I stopped and asked what the eta was, he was saying probably in the next few days if the weather stays cold overnight.

Seems touch and go as to which one are ready. I want to stop by Silver Springs, I've always like that rink, probably because I grew up on that rink.

Moonracer
01-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Hey you know what this cold weather means....;)

max_boost
01-11-2012, 01:09 PM
haha yea I had a few falls during first session at nchl but with all the gear I didn't feel a thing.

First time skating a stick and it helps the balance immensely. I'd love to get to a noob friendly outdoor rink haha

nismodrifter
01-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

First time skating a stick and it helps the balance immensely. I'd love to get to a noob friendly outdoor rink haha

Millrise figure 8 rink is perfect for noobs. Always see people learning how to skate on it.

speedog
01-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Any NW outdoor rinks open for business? Anxious to head out. Highwood's been going since late November - central NW

Moonracer
01-12-2012, 12:10 PM
We should have a beyond outdoor hockey night on like a mon. or tues. every week. Pick a centrally located rink that's half decent and whoever wants to go, goes! :dunno:

speedog
01-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Highwood also has regular pick-up shinny on Thursday and Saturday evenings - usually there's 2 fully suited goalies, sometimes 3. Lights are on until 11 or later.

Also new this year at Highwood is an ice edger which has meant much better ice along the boards.

Of note, I'm not looking after the ice at Highwood - had to step away after 4-5 years because of too many other commitments, but the guys who are looking after the ice are doing a great job; one is a past ice maker for Highwood and Cambrian Heights while the other main volunteer has been organizing the Thursday/Saturday shinny events. Central NW location - just south of McKnight and several blocks west of 4th Street NW.

Moonracer
01-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Cool good to know.

The rink in Crescent hights was good too. They just don't have fenced back boards. I'm sure everywhere will have ice now thought lol

a social dsease
01-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Went to Glenbrook last night, it was pretty good even though the lights were off :nut:

Anyone know a good place to get skates sharpened? Went to crappy and their machine was broken

Moonracer
01-20-2012, 10:24 AM
^^^^Pro Hockey Life, Source for sports, Hockey Experts, Pro Skate...

slick2404
01-20-2012, 10:47 AM
We should have a beyond outdoor hockey night on like a mon. or tues. every week. Pick a centrally located rink that's half decent and whoever wants to go, goes! :dunno:

That would be sweet! I'm in.

max_boost
01-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Cool good to know.

The rink in Crescent hights was good too. They just don't have fenced back boards. I'm sure everywhere will have ice now thought lol

Tuesday would be awesome for me and I live in Crescent! What time would this be at? If you guys are OK with noobs showing up lol

r3ccOs
01-21-2012, 08:24 PM

Tuesday would be awesome for me and I live in Crescent! What time would this be at? If you guys are OK with noobs showing up lol

we should definately pick a place central, but boards would be nice...

Moonracer
01-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Well Crescent is central and so is Ramsey. Although Ramsey is a little better in that it has fencing all around with a roof so you don't loose your puck every 5th shot. Crescent has boards but no fencing. They do have a sign up too that you have to be a member blah blah but I haven't been asked for one so far, but that could be an issue. I have never been hassled at ramsey.

jav_
01-23-2012, 11:49 AM
does anyone know if that huge field behind Marlborough Park turns into an ice rink during winter? they did that over ten years ago when i used to live in that area

Xamim
01-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Do most ODR have a patch of ice outside the rink, like the one at Crescent? I'd like to practice my skating, but people are usually playing an actual game every time I go.

slick2404
01-23-2012, 12:56 PM
^ I know hidden valley and hamptons do.

95EG6P
01-23-2012, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by jav_
does anyone know if that huge field behind Marlborough Park turns into an ice rink during winter? they did that over ten years ago when i used to live in that area

they did last year but i have not cheaked if they have it this year yet

Moonracer
01-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Xamim
Do most ODR have a patch of ice outside the rink, like the one at Crescent? I'd like to practice my skating, but people are usually playing an actual game every time I go.

They actually do have a nice size skating area next to the rink

speedog
01-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Hockey night in Highwood (central NW - 3-4 blocks NW of James Fowler High School)- posted at the rink, shinny on Thursday's @ 7:30PM and Sundays @ 7:00PM. Usually two fully suited goalies and tunes as well, lights on until at least 11:00PM. Full boards and fully fenced.

Xamim
01-23-2012, 08:37 PM

They actually do have a nice size skating area next to the rink

Yeah, it is pretty nice. Went there during the weekend with a few buddies. They were shooting some pucks on the rink, and I just practiced on the skating area. I was just wondering if that was the norm and if most places had them. I'm in McKenzie Towne, gonna check out a few rinks around the area and let you guys know, in case if someone is interested.

nismodrifter
01-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Xamim

Yeah, it is pretty nice. Went there during the weekend with a few buddies. They were shooting some pucks on the rink, and I just practiced on the skating area. I was just wondering if that was the norm and if most places had them. I'm in McKenzie Towne, gonna check out a few rinks around the area and let you guys know, in case if someone is interested.

Millrise Rink has a separate area for skating only (with lights, its right next to Our Lady of Peace junior high school ). I think Shawnessy does too. Both are not toooooo far from you I guess (10 min drive?).

Moonracer
01-24-2012, 03:43 PM

7 or 8 would probly be a good time. I'm probly going to the crescent rink tonight but not until between 8 and 9 though.

Xamim
01-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

Millrise Rink has a separate area for skating only (with lights, its right next to Our Lady of Peace junior high school ). I think Shawnessy does too. Both are not toooooo far from you I guess (10 min drive?).

Thanks, I'll check those out. They're a bit closer than Crescent.

Stopped by the rink, aka basketball court, that is on 52nd here in McKenzie Towne. The ice looked like it was about 2cm thick and had giant patches of pavement everywhere. Went to Copperfield and they also have ice beside the rink. I would say it is even bigger than the one at Crescent. The ice didn't look that great, had a lot of gauges everywhere. The rink it self was closed.

Moonracer
01-25-2012, 09:19 AM
So I went to crescent last night but didn't make it til almost 9pm and they were about to flood. :banghead: Two days in a row they flood at 9 when there's a bunch of guys playing having a good time :dunno: So I decide to go to ramsey and when I get there I notice there are no lights on. :cry: I dunno what's going on there but.....

rizfarmer
02-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Anybody been to any of the inner city rinks lately? Ramsay?

r3ccOs
02-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by rizfarmer
Anybody been to any of the inner city rinks lately? Ramsay?

I think the weather has taken its toll on the rinks and I'm not sure its cool enough for them to harden yet for a flood, let alone to skate on

anyone know?

I know the lake ice surfaces are okay, but not everyone can get into one of those

r3ccOs
02-18-2013, 09:12 AM
if anyone found a decent rink... anyone up for a skate today?