PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas: TV wiring

Bushy
11-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Hoping there might be some future shop installers or home theater guys out there. I have satellite tv, and I didnt want to have boxes at the tv locations.. So I put my pvr in the basement, ran the composite video into a rf modulator, then coax into a splitter to feed my 2 tv's in the house with uhf remotes. Both the tv's must watch the same show but I dont watch a whole bunch so its not a big deal. And it means I dont have to have a box at the tv so it looks cleaner, just have tv wall mounted and no tv stand. But the picture is garbage. Is there a better way or better piece of equipment I can use?
I was thinking worst case I could get a hdmi splitter and run long hdmi cables to the 2 tv's, but if I do, Id rather pay the future shop installers to do it if it is reasonable. Any advice?

Bushy
11-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Oh, as well I have coax and cat5e at the tv locations

wtf im nameless
11-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Bushy
Oh, as well I have coax and cat5e at the tv locations

Depends on the length of the Cat5e, to use a HDMI balun you would need to run Cat6 or Cat6a, but if you use one of the newer HDBaseT baluns you might be able to get away with using a single Cat5e if the distance isn't too long.

http://www.atlona.com/ATLONA-HDMI-EXTENDER-KIT-RS-232-AND-ETHERNET-PASS-THROUGH-Bi-DIRECTIONAL-IR-OVER-SINGLE-CAT5-6-7-WITH-FULL-3D-SUPPORT..html

I work in the home automation field and do exactly this for a living, ask away with any questions and I'll do what I can to help.

You don't want to run HDMI over 30 feet if you don't have to, one minor kink in the cable and you won't get 1080p. The unit I suggested can do 4k resolution, lossless audio, bi-directional IR (so you don't have to use UHF if you switch to Shaw or Telus) and has ethernet support.

sevewone
11-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Component or rca cables into a RF modulator arent going to change the picture quality any bit as the video running through the coax downgrades it either way. You could try a wireless video sender but odds are it still isnt going to be much better of quality, possibly even worse.

IMO I would buy a non PVR reciever from kijiji and slide it behind your tv vertically. You can buy 6131 non pvr recievers for both Telus and Bell for under 150$ and you dont get charged the rental fee if you own it (assuming you have Bell or Telus). Is your sat reciever located directly below your upstairs tv?

Bushy
11-25-2011, 09:29 PM
no, the pvr is in my basement in one corner of the house, and the 2 tv's are main floor(Bungalow) in 2 other corners of the house. That's not a bad idea either, my living room tv has a mount that comes out from the wall so I could hide it behind. In the bedroom though, its a non adjustable flush mount, so it would be too tight there.

sevewone
11-25-2011, 09:57 PM
So are you splitting the coax from the rf modulator 3 ways? If you use a splitter from a rf modulator your signals going to get worse. every device the video signal goes through from satellite worsens the picture quality.

wtf im nameless
11-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by sevewone
So are you splitting the coax from the rf modulator 3 ways? If you use a splitter from a rf modulator your signals going to get worse. every device the video signal goes through from satellite worsens the picture quality.

The only way he can do what he wants is through a HDBaseT balun from my post above. If he had 2x Cat6 or Cat6a he could do an HDMI balun but with a single Cat5e his only hope is an HDMI over HDBaseT balun. It should work over 40 meters but I haven't tried one myself on a single Cat5e, I dunno if you can get 1080p but I'd assume you should be able to at least get 720p, can't know for sure until you try it.

If my suggestion doesn't work the only option he has is what you suggested, another sat box behind the TV.

sevewone
11-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by wtf im nameless

The only way he can do what he wants is through a HDBaseT balun from my post above. If he had 2x Cat6 or Cat6a he could do an HDMI balun but with a single Cat5e his only hope is an HDMI over HDBaseT balun. It should work over 40 meters but I haven't tried one myself on a single Cat5e, I dunno if you can get 1080p but I'd assume you should be able to at least get 720p, can't know for sure until you try it.

If my suggestion doesn't work the only option he has is what you suggested, another sat box behind the TV.

I think its the 550.00$ price tag of the HDbaseT that is the issue. But as for getting 720, your right that would be the only way.