PDA

View Full Version : Hey, VW guys, have a couple questions

Rat Fink
11-26-2011, 11:32 PM

AE92_TreunoSC
11-27-2011, 12:20 AM
The New VW's have expensive oil requirements which makes regular maintenance very expensive. It always shocks VW owners when they go in for their first paid oil change.

cancer man
11-27-2011, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
The New VW's have expensive oil requirements which makes regular maintenance very expensive. It always shocks VW owners when they go in for their first paid oil change.

WTF are you talking about? Synthetic oil change 110.00 bucks good for 12 thousand kms.Based on 6 liters and oem filter.

darthVWader
11-27-2011, 12:51 AM
^^^ 100% agree

If you can avoid the stealerships extras they charge then it's not as painfull. I've been taking my 09 Jetta to Mid-Town and have been very happy with the service. The only thing I hate is the $1.28 diesel I'm paying right now. Test drive a TDI and tell me if it's bland. Lots of low end power=fun and great milage even at the high cost of fuel.

nismodrifter
11-27-2011, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC

wtf are you talking about thanks

cam_wmh
11-27-2011, 02:09 AM
Fink -
The model you you test drove, ie; MK6' generation, has been marginalized compared to the previous 5th & 4th generations. It's especially noticeable on the latest generation Passat.

That said, if she likes VW's, I suggest finding the previous generation GLi, (It's the hopped up, premium model). Let someone else take the residual hit and find a CPO model. (dealer certified pre-owned)

Many of them have the slick DSG trannies too, which I'm sure she'll enjoy.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2008-Volkswagen-Jetta-GLI-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ330097171

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2007-Volkswagen-Jetta-GLI-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ318904258

Cam

DeeK
11-27-2011, 02:33 AM
The mk6 jetta's are terrible at best, they have been stripped down to compete with the price of basic hondas and toyotas.

VW's view, this opens up the market to new customers that could not afford the premium for proper engineering before.

What is really happening. Everything that VW was good at, is no longer there. Many long time VW enthusiasts have sold their cars to go with other companies. I've worked at two VW dealerships now, and I've seen this trend more common than you think.

I could give you story after story after story of how bad the new jetta's are. And I'm a VW fanboy.

If you want to buy Jetta, go with a mk5 or earlier, even though they are older, they are FAR more enjoyable, and worth more in the long run.\

Like Cam said, I highly recommend the mk4 or mk5 GLI, you will not regret that purchase ever.

Also, as far as maintenance goes, NEVER EVER EVER take your car to a dealership, this goes for any model. Find a trusted shop, preferably one that specializes in your make of car, and go to them. In Calgary for VW, there is tunedub and Concept 1. Take your pick. it's worth the drive possibly across the city, to get better service, at a fraction of the price, with honest people.

Rat Fink
11-27-2011, 11:11 AM

AE92_TreunoSC
11-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

wtf are you talking about thanks

The VW 50# synthetic oil requirement for new VW products... most middle of the road economy cars don't require synthetic. This is a valid complaint.

why is it that it seems like you guys think I'm talking out my ass?

Aleks
11-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I'm just thinking that because I am a Ford technician, do you think there'd be any problem with me doing the servicing at my dealership and it would still be covered? Looks like some of you guys get your servicing done elsewhere anyways so I imagine I'd be good doing it myself and get the service info entered into the ford system to make up a paper trail.

Everything you all have said about the new model was exactly what I felt during the test drive. I think we might end up passing up on VW. The GF doesn't want to buy something that only has 2 years warranty on it unless its a car that will be cheap to maintain afterwards. From what I've read on this forum through the years, it looks like the driving experience comes with a premium. It really is a shame they have gone that route. One of my coworkers has an MK5 Jetta with the TDI and DSG trans.....what a great car! That DSG blows Fords new dual clutch auto out of the water completely.

I think all of this might push her towards something else. Its shitty when you have a name like the Jetta which is minimized to fit a price point whereas some of the other comparitive makers have stepped up the game to give you more car for that price. It just doesn't seem to match up.

Thanks guys

IMO VW is doing it right. They have a car that is bigger than all of its competition inside. Which to some people is a big deal. MKIV is brutally small inside for example that it wouldn't work for many families. New Jetta solves that issue, it also gives you 4 engine choices, which no other competitor does. You can get a GLI model that has a much nicer interior if that's what you are after. If none of that works, the Golf still has the best interior in class but you gotta pay a bit more.

IMO she should go test drive the new Focus, Civic, Elantra, Cruze, Impreza, 3 and make her choice. (back to back on the same day would be ideal)

J-hop
11-27-2011, 11:47 AM

sillysod
11-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Look at the new Golf instead of the Jetta it really is a much nicer car believe it or not.

btimbit
11-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Haven't tried the new GLI yet, but the new Jetta isn't bad, it's just not great. Nothing special. Maybe 'Bland' is a better way to put it. One of the best in it's class, but it's a class that's pretty beige in general. The price is right, and lots of room, but it still seems to be just be missing something.

It's the kind of car I'd recommend for my girlfriend, but would not get for myself. Even if I was looking for that sort of thing, I'd pass and get slightly older GLI, or A4.

Worth mentioning that the current Golf is a higher quality product.

dirtsniffer
11-29-2011, 11:00 PM
what about a new focus? or elantra?

Rat Fink
11-29-2011, 11:02 PM

Rat Fink
11-29-2011, 11:02 PM

Rat Fink
12-04-2011, 04:00 PM

sillysod
12-06-2011, 09:10 AM
I know nothing about Fusions, but the sport ones look nice IMO. let us know how she likes it.

max_boost
12-06-2011, 11:47 AM
I bring my 2010 GTI in every 15,000kms. The schedule doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary. Oil changes, air filters, general inspections, fluid top ups, tire rotation etc. I bring it to SCFCs and no problems with them.

You can find also find the maintenance schedules online.

I've never been in the Jetta and can't comment but I think the GTI interior is quite balling, so smooth at 200kms/h and launch control baby. :burnout:

Can you get a regular Golf OTD at $25k?