PDA

View Full Version : car rental in US (best company to rent from)

jaysas_63
11-28-2011, 05:35 PM
hey guys,

im going to be renting a car for 3 months in the US (NY/BOS). anybody have any suggestions as to which car company has the best fleet/best service, with reasonable prices?? i wanted to get a full size car.

so far ive called hertz and they are quoting me 2300 which is fine, but the full size selection is an impala or malibu :( lol

trieuth
11-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Enterprise. Most locations if you need to switch cars if there is a problem, huge focus on customer service, great prices and largest rental car company

BigShow
11-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Enterprise! Customer service is excellent to say the least, rates are good and vehicle selection is not bad.

Mar
11-29-2011, 12:37 AM
Fuck Hertz and Fuck Enterprise, fuck them both to hell.

I rented a car from Hertz for 5 months at $1500 a month. I returned the car, got my deposit back, finalized the finances and a month later they sent me a bill for $1500. They said they didn't know what the actual cost was when I brought it back, they had to wait until the invoice arrived and then they forwarded it to me. Fucking scammers. And by that point I was 30 days out of my contract with Pepsi (they paid for all my relocation/bills while I was on contract with them) so when I submitted the 30 day old invoice to Pepsi, they told me to fuck off.

And I almost got into a fight with the guy at Enterprise here in Calgary, my car gets hit like every 5 minutes from the shitty drivers in this city so I'm constantly getting it fixed and renting cars. Here's how my first time went down:

me - Hi, I just called, I'm here to pick up a car.
them - Cool, I have a bunch of questions to ask you for information we need from you.
me - cool
- couple questions, no big deal -
them - Okay, what's your phone number?
me - *********
them - Okay, secondary number?
me - No, I don't have one, just the cell phone.
them - Well we need a secondary number.
me - Okay, not sure what to tell you.
them - We need a secondary number, we can't rent to you without it.
me - I don't know man, just make one up, I don't care.
them - Okay, forget it, we're not renting you a car, get out.

Fucking assholes, 2 numbers? Who the hell has 2 phone numbers anyway? And why do they need 2 to rent a car? I've rented 4 cars from Discount since then, there's 1 in my garage right now. I get hit so often that I t-boned some stupid fucking kid outside a dealership 2 weeks ago, got a rental and then got REARENDED in the rental last week. God damnit nobody in this city can drive.

So if you're going to rent from anyone, do yourself a favour, save a headache and go with Discount. They've been awesome to deal with.

Go4Long
11-29-2011, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Mar
I get hit so often that I t-boned some stupid fucking kid outside a dealership 2 weeks ago, got a rental and then got REARENDED in the rental last week. God damnit nobody in this city can drive.

ever heard the expression that if you have a problem with everyone, maybe the problem is you?

I rented from Dollar when I was down in the states recently, didn't have any problems.

trieuth
11-29-2011, 02:14 AM
^:werd:

Discount doesn't exist in the us... So ya

Pacman
11-29-2011, 08:39 AM
I've had great customer service from Enterprise in the US. During the summer, I rented a full size from the LAX location. It was out of stock when I arrived, so they gave me an SUV instead. I pulled off the lot, and the tire pressure warning came on. I pulled back in, and they immediately upgraded us to a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

When I returned the car, it was on the computer system that we had issues with the first car, and they knocked another $100 off the bill and were very apologetic.

I would suggest going to all of the websites and checking the prices of all the different classes of cars. It's odd, but when we booked, the price of the full size, was less than getting a mid-size. Perhaps they had lots of stock at the time of booking.

Weapon_R
11-29-2011, 09:15 AM
All the big name companies are alright, but avoid Fox car rental at all costs. They are always cheaper than everyone else for a reason. Not even sure they have offices in your area, but these guys have the dirtiest cars I've ever seen. I rented a car from them that had a scrape across the rear quarter that had started to rust. When I asked them for a diff car, the guy told me it would be "extra."

taemo
11-29-2011, 09:47 AM
I don't know if it varies on States but I had terrible experience with Hertz in Hawaii.

Went to pick up a car at the airport , started the car, run the AC and went out, closed the doors and started checking for damages on the vehicle.
BAD IDEA
Car auto-locked itself, thought no big deal as usually they keep the extra key.
Guy at the front desk told me he would check with the supervisor for the extra key so I went back to the car with my gf, 10-20minutes passes, no sign.
Went to go look for the supervisor and turns out she decided to go for her break without telling anyone that they don't keep the spare key in Hawaii (wtf!) and that I had to call the assist number and have someone come and unlock the car with a crowbar for $70.

oh plus the car had roaches

lasimmon
11-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Rented from Enterprise while in Texas, at the age of 21 had no issues and was super cheap.. like 90 bucks for a weekend.

Mar
11-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
ever heard the expression that if you have a problem with everyone, maybe the problem is you?
Right....

1. Stopped at an intersection, a city bus tried to go around me, hit my rear bumper.

2. A week later, a car stopped in front of me on a snowy road, I stopped fine, girl behind me rear ended me.

3. I parked behind a truck in an alley, woman backs out without looking behind her truck, slams into my car.

4. I parked in another alley downtown next to a white hatchback. Came back to my car, huge white scrape across my bumper.

5. I was stopped at a light on 17 Avenue, stupid kid in an Impala rear ends me.

6. Two or three weeks ago, stupid kid in a HUGE lifted RAM truck wants to turn from the left lane into a dealership on the right. I'm in the right lane, slams right into me.

7. Last Wednesday, stopped at a light on 36 Street not moving, woman rear ends me. Woman rear ends her, she hits me again.

8. Last Friday, nearly flipped the rental car on Deerfoot when some stupid foreigner in a minivan changed into my lane with no signal and without looking. Barely avoided him.

9. Yesterday, driving by Rose And Crown downtown, some stupid ass in a red Cavalier tried to turn out of Rose And Crown into my lane, had to lay on the horn to stop him, barely avoided him.

Ya, I'm a huge problem here. Or maybe it's the retarded drivers in this city.

Toma
11-29-2011, 08:30 PM
enterprise are fuckheads.

they try soooo hard to sell you additional insurance that you don't needs and almost won't take NO for an answer. Gone through it twice with those cocks in the us. Never again.

Go4Long
11-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Ya, I'm a huge problem here. Or maybe it's the retarded drivers in this city.

I'm not denying that there's a lot of shitty drivers in the city, I've driven everything from a motorcycle to a 53' trailer through the city, trust me, I know there's idiots. But that's my point, we all know that there's idiots out there, we all drive the same roads you do, and you're the one that's CONSTANTLY getting in accidents. I haven't been in an accident in Calgary except for a bike wreck that was blatantly my fault. Drive like people can't see you, since a lot of the time they can't.

yellowsnow
11-30-2011, 02:02 AM
i would just check out a few rental car companies. their pricing changes depending on the date, and availability...

don't forget to google coupon codes for those rental companies.

hurrdurr
11-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
All the big name companies are alright, but avoid Fox car rental at all costs. They are always cheaper than everyone else for a reason. Not even sure they have offices in your area, but these guys have the dirtiest cars I've ever seen. I rented a car from them that had a scrape across the rear quarter that had started to rust. When I asked them for a diff car, the guy told me it would be "extra."

I had a similar issue with them before renting in San Fran, but then I rented with them again in Vegas. Their young driver fee, base price, and drop fee were much much less expensive than any other company. (think ~$200+ less expensive)

They upgraded me from an Economy Car to an SUV of my choice free of charge, and it was a much better trip because of it

Grogador
11-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Enterprise is shit, treat you like a wallet on legs. I've had great luck with Budget. For 3 months, wouldn't it make sense to just buy a car? My gramps paid for half of my first car and used it for a couple months around the US, worked out cheap for him and great for me!