PDA

View Full Version : Skyview Ranch

Speed_69
11-30-2011, 10:15 AM
What are your thoughts on this neighbourhood?

I really didn't want to purchase a condo/townhouse in the NE but the pricing is really attactive and location doesn't seem too bad. It's right by Metis Trail, 52 Ave, Country Hills Blvd, Stoney Trail and close access to Deerfoot Trail.

Seems like the community is really developing with a new shopping plaza and close Cross Iron Mills which should have a bunch of new stores soon? I'm not sure but I believe the future LRT line should extend to this area as well.

irs
11-30-2011, 10:28 AM
I would check into the major high pressure gas lines running under ground in this area.
Also what gas wells are still open or will be opening.

Does anyone have more insite into this?

The area is really starting to pickup and they are not telling people about this and what is still going on in this and other area's in the North.

Do some research. Try the city or phone some well known realtors in the area or within Calgary.

schocker
11-30-2011, 10:43 AM
I had looked there before I got a house in Sage Hill. Once it is built out it will be a pretty good location. For the money when I looked the Lionsworth sp? homes were extremely well built.

Gas wells though :confused:

redsrt4
11-30-2011, 10:43 AM
im building a house in skyview right now and i like the community.. theres lot of big project out there..

rony_espana
11-30-2011, 11:08 AM
I live in Skyview, I personally love it, great prices, great location, can't complain. I looked at Sage Hill and NW area but I got a lot more house here. Only complaint I've heard is to stay away from Excel homes....

5.9 R/T
11-30-2011, 11:11 AM
The new runway will line up perfectly with the community so I hope you like airplane noise.

Tik-Tok
11-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
The new runway will line up perfectly with the community so I hope you like airplane noise.

Not really. Country Hills is closer to the landing/takeoff path of Rnwy 16/34, then Skyview will be to the new parallel's.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/YYC_Map_Ver3_CS3_Arrival.gif

masoncgy
11-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

This could be said about a lot of north Calgary neighborhoods and that does not seem to deter people.

I actually miss the sound of planes flying by... when I lived in Sandstone I could watch them out of my living room window.

My other place in Temple sits right under the path for 10/28... lol... you get buzzed overhead on the back deck.

tnuc
11-30-2011, 11:47 AM
We are doing a huge 4 phase condo complex there right now, just about to start framing, the condo building look great in the plans and can't wait till they are done.

rony_espana
11-30-2011, 11:59 AM
They also just put up a sign that reads that the new community of Redstone will start next year. It will be north of Skyview.

Speed_69
11-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by tnuc
We are doing a huge 4 phase condo complex there right now, just about to start framing, the condo building look great in the plans and can't wait till they are done.
Is this SkyWest? This is the condo complex I'd be looking at. Do you know when Phase 1 shoud be complete?

KappaSigma
11-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Brother use to live there..ie bt fk nowhere land. If you work dt dont bother.

Speed_69
12-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by KappaSigma
Can always park at McKnight Station and train it downtown? :dunno:

tnuc
12-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

Is this SkyWest? This is the condo complex I'd be looking at. Do you know when Phase 1 shoud be complete?

The Plans dont say on them what the name is but i can look into for you. Its right across from where they just finished building the town house style ones. Foundations are all ready framing started this week.

Kinjou
02-01-2013, 09:39 AM
BUMP. Resurrecting an old thread to see how people who have lived there for awhile now, still think about the neighborhood. Aside from the lack of some amenities, any pros/cons with living there?

taemo
02-01-2013, 10:13 AM
^our house will be done in April and we are looking forward to it.
we have friends that lives in the area already and have no major complaints.
easy drive to Westwind C-Train station/Superstore, 5-10min drive to Balzac mall.
Easy access to Country Hills, Stoney Trail.
If you have kids, then I guess not having a school in the area is a concern.
I live in Beddington and fiance lives in Coventry so the commute is not that different than our current but it will save us in the long run not having to drive to downtown anymore.

There's plan on extending the c-train once there's demand but I dont foresee it for another 3-5 years.

Kinjou
02-01-2013, 10:20 AM
I am actually looking to build there too; there is a lot i'm looking at that is going to be right across from a massive three block green space. Elementary, Middle and even a community center is going in eventually. It will come with 4 soccer fields, tennis courts, a permanent ice rink and a baseball diamond.

I know the C-train is going to be running into the community eventually so that would be nice. Talking to one of the area managers in the new showhomes, some prep work for that has already been put in so it's just a matter of time. Trying to get an idea of the commute times, annoyances, etc before I put a deposit on the lot.

Hoping that Skyview is North Central enough to be away from the usual stuff in the NE and close enough to amenities.

taemo
02-01-2013, 10:31 AM
unfortunately it's fairly close to NE with Saddleridge right under it.
also it looks like they are starting to develop the land just south of CountryHills/ Skyview and I see some houses getting built there(im guessing for showhomes).
and I know of some families that used to live in Coral Spring/Monterey that have moved/moving to Skyview.

However commute is the main reason why we decided to go Skyview over Evanston/Sage Hill.
Have you seen how many sets of lights you have to drive through from Sage/Evanston to get to Beddington or even Stoney Trail?
I couldn't see myself driving that road 5 times a week

Kinjou
02-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Pretty sure that land you're talking about might still be Skyview but with a different land developer. Mind if I asked you what you built in terms of price/square footage and whom you built with? We're looking at the numbers, and looking at a place thats 2489 sq ft for around $490K all upgrades included. The same place in the NW would easily be 70-80g more.

I have friends that live in Nolan Hill/Sage Hill. While it does add some time, it's usually 5-10 minutes more than a commute from Panorama or Coventry. There's "one" exit route from Evanston (until the 14st street bridge is built) so an accident there would completely close up that area, same for that bottle neck just before the exits to Stoney. You can technically drive North to 144 Ave and swing over to Shag to go down; I hear the road is done up there but dont know for sure if it is open yet.

taemo
02-01-2013, 11:25 AM
We went with Morrison, Huntington B house model.
If you go see the showhomes in Skyview, our house will almost be exactly the same as the left house, same planning, almost same colors except we didn't get the sunroom, moved the laundry room in the basement and custom built the suite bathroom.
all in all, with deck done, upgraded kitchen, hardwood on almost everything except the bedroom, we are looking at around $420k
And it's about 2200 sqft I believe.

ndhal417
02-01-2013, 12:00 PM
The Stonegate Landing project on the other side of Metis trail will bring a lot of amenities closer but it's going to take a few years to develop.

Kinjou
02-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by taemo
We went with Morrison, Huntington B house model.
If you go see the showhomes in Skyview, our house will almost be exactly the same as the left house, same planning, almost same colors except we didn't get the sunroom, moved the laundry room in the basement and custom built the suite bathroom.
all in all, with deck done, upgraded kitchen, hardwood on almost everything except the bedroom, we are looking at around $420k
And it's about 2200 sqft I believe.

How has the process been so far in terms of choosing colors/titles/plans, modify the floor plans and modifying existing layout to accommodate your upgrades?

I am looking at building through Morrison as well and $490K all in for 2500 sq ft is pretty reasonable. Still contemplating the lot options but I'm definitely leaning towards buying there soon.

I find that the green belts are a little weird and wonder if there are any lines running under them.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-01-2013, 12:14 PM
I looked at Skyview and Sage Hill/Evanston area for a townhome and ended up in Coventry, I didnt overly like the location of Skyview and a coworker lives there and says his commute to and from work right now is about 30KM one way.

rony_espana
02-01-2013, 12:24 PM
I've lived in Skyview for almost 2 years, no complaints so far. Love it here. Country hills amenities are about 5 minutes away, same with crossiron mills...I bought with Sterling/Pacesetter, awesome experience. :thumbsup:

Kinjou
02-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Hows the noise from the airport being so close?

taemo
02-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Kinjou

How has the process been so far in terms of choosing colors/titles/plans, modify the floor plans and modifying existing layout to accommodate your upgrades?

I am looking at building through Morrison as well and $490K all in for 2500 sq ft is pretty reasonable. Still contemplating the lot options but I'm definitely leaning towards buying there soon.

I find that the green belts are a little weird and wonder if there are any lines running under them.

it was the first time for both of us building a new house and I thought it was going to be stressful at first but we had fun working with Troy and Larry on site, they pre-plan everything out for you.
you'll have atleast 6-7 appointments in total with them throughout the building process,
-where you discuss your options/upgrades
-floor plan design
-then color selection for the external side
-2-3 sessions in their SE studio where you can pick the colors of the inside, trims, lighting, etc (i tried getting a urinal in the living room bathroom lol)
-then meeting to make sure that you will have cable/electricity/water on possession date
-and final meeting is them walking you through the house and handing you the key

some upgrades we did was I had ethernet cable run in living room, bonus room and in one spare bedroom
hardwood floor including stairs
5.1 wiring in bonus room
upgraded the shower in the suite, removed the tub and increased the walk-in closet
deck built for us
gas stoves and upgraded fridge

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I looked at Skyview and Sage Hill/Evanston area for a townhome and ended up in Coventry, I didnt overly like the location of Skyview and a coworker lives there and says his commute to and from work right now is about 30KM one way.
yeah commute IMO is some of the things that people overlook at times.
Skyview works well for us since almost all our friends are in the NE/NW area and we both work in downtown.

taemo
02-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Kinjou
Hows the noise from the airport being so close?

our house is one of those that faces south along country hills and when they were first building the house you could hear cars going through but once they started working on the interior, you can't hear noise from the outside anymore.
our master bedroom is facing south so I thought it was going to be an issue with fiance being a light sleeper but they sealed the noise nicely.

I lived in Falconridge and Beddington and I doubt you will hear more noise in Skyview than those places.
Most planes I flew with either were landing from the south (mccall) or west (beddington)
occasionally through the east falconridge but never found it loud when we used to live there.

DarkDream
02-03-2013, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by KappaSigma

Actually my commute to DT is shorter compared to when i lived in Beddington.

Lots of easy access roads in the area.

taemo
02-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by DarkDream

Actually my commute to DT is shorter compared to when i lived in Beddington.

Lots of easy access roads in the area.

which way do you take from Skyview to DT?
I live near Beddington Trail and Boulevard so DT is only 15min away.
Once we move to Skyview in April, I can see us taking Country Hills then Deerfoot which would add an extra 10-15min.
although so tempted to take the C-Train now, less stress driving

Proyecto2000
02-14-2013, 10:55 AM

which way do you take from Skyview to DT?
I live near Beddington Trail and Boulevard so DT is only 15min away.
Once we move to Skyview in April, I can see us taking Country Hills then Deerfoot which would add an extra 10-15min.
although so tempted to take the C-Train now, less stress driving

I drive to DT from the skyview area every day and so far my commute times are the following:

Metis --> McKnight --> Barlow --> Memorial arrive at 5th Ave Place parkade

Leave at 6:30am arrive at parkade in 20 minutes

Leave at 7:00am sharp arrive in 27-30 min

Leave at 7:30am arrive in 35-45 min.

Country Hills --> Deerfoot --> leave at 7:30am arrive at 8:45am (I only took this route once in the last 3 months since I moved here)

On the way home if I am leaving before 3:30pm I can make it from the parkade to my garage in under 20 if I take deerfoot --> Country Hills -->Metis

however I usually go back thru memorial --> barlow -->McKnight --> Metis and it takes between 20-35 minutes if I leave the parkade at 5:00pm

taemo
05-08-2013, 08:15 AM
bumping this as we live in Skyview now and are overall happy with the area and our Morrison home.

drove to downtown a couple of times and I have to agree, Metis-McKnight-Barlow-Memorial is pretty quick.
another route that seems to be fast too is Metis-Stoney-Deerfoot in the morning.
for the most part though, we take the C-Train and we park in the Westwind/McKnight station.
however one thing I don't like right now is the congestion in Metis trail/80th ave during rush hour, I'm hoping that this is mainly because they closed 36th St to Country Hills until July?
when will they be able to make Metis trail dual lane between CHills and 80th? I'm guessing that ranch on the east side is what's holding them back.

having Crossiron 5 minutes away is great and we go to T&T and Coventry Superstore for groceries

Ven
05-10-2013, 10:51 AM
SkyView will be the next Saddleridge, which was the next Taradale, which was the next Falconridge, etc... It'll be another N.E. sty in 10 years. I started in Saddleridge when it was new, and nice. My advice would be to buy less house in a better area.

Nitron88
05-14-2013, 02:43 PM
I couldn't have explained it better myself. The hood is populating and that is where it's spreading to. Even though you can find some of them in panorama and coventry. Erin Woods is as far as it goes south.

Originally posted by Ven
SkyView will be the next Saddleridge, which was the next Taradale, which was the next Falconridge, etc... It'll be another N.E. sty in 10 years. I started in Saddleridge when it was new, and nice. My advice would be to buy less house in a better area.

bubbley
05-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Where does one go for fast food Mcknight Village the easiest by the Mcdonalds/Edo?

JordanEG6
05-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Nitron88
I couldn't have explained it better myself. The hood is populating and that is where it's spreading to. Even though you can find some of them in panorama and coventry. Erin Woods is as far as it goes south.

QFT.

Used to live in Coral Springs. It was nice once. The 'hood' will eventually spread to SkyView, Red Stone and the like. I was going to buy a house around there and then took that into real consideration, so I opted out.

Also, as mentioned, there are well sites near by that I don't want to be near.

taemo
05-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Ven
Meh, I lived in Falconridge for 5 years and never had any issues.
My sister lived in Martindale area and when I crashed at her place, no problem either.
Never been a fan of Taradale though and don't like the Saddletowne

main advantage that Skyview has over those areas is how easy it is for me to jump to Country Hills or Stoney Trail to go to Cross Iron mall or Coventry area for grocery/shopping.

Originally posted by bubbley
Where does one go for fast food Mcknight Village the easiest by the Mcdonalds/Edo?
If you're driving all the way down to McKnight, might as well drive West and go Wendys, BK, McDo, A&W along Country Hills.
Pho Hoang is a decent nammer place in Falconridge though

taemo
05-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

QFT.

Used to live in Coral Springs. It was nice once. The 'hood' will eventually spread to SkyView, Red Stone and the like. I was going to buy a house around there and then took that into real consideration, so I opted out.

Also, as mentioned, there are well sites near by that I don't want to be near.

Yeah I remember Coral Springs looking alot like the NW.. 8 years ago, I don't know what happened :rofl:

We looked at Sage Meadow/Valley/Evanston area but all the stop lights in Symons Valley would drive me insane.
Plus I would rather take the C-Train than the bus to get to work.

schocker
05-14-2013, 04:35 PM

Yeah I remember Coral Springs looking alot like the NW.. 8 years ago, I don't know what happened :rofl:

We looked at Sage Meadow/Valley/Evanston area but all the stop lights in Symons Valley would drive me insane.
Plus I would rather take the C-Train than the bus to get to work.
That is because Sage Hill is where it's at. Takes me 8 minutes to get to the Crowfoot Train station. :D

jonsey737
05-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by bubbley

Depends what you want but usually the country hills area for me. Lots of stuff there.

Ven
05-14-2013, 09:21 PM

Meh, I lived in Falconridge for 5 years and never had any issues.
My sister lived in Martindale area and when I crashed at her place, no problem either.

It's not an issue of crime or trouble, I've had zero issues with that here. It's that those areas start to look dumpy real fast. Coral Springs used to be so nice, now.......ughh. I dont know if it's just a cultural thing or the massive amount of idiot landlords who dont give a damn. No area in the N.E. stays nice for long. My wife and I have lived through this in 2 N.E. neighbohoods now. Both were great when new, and when the demographic started changing and owners decided to become landlords both areas nose dived. It's only a matter of time for the latest N.E. areas. On the other hand some people embrace that way and feel comfortable like that so more power to them. Not for me though.

R!zz0
09-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Gonna bump this up.

We went to go see some homes in Redstone/Skyview and the same homes in NW was $50,000 to $70,000 more. The manager of a show home in Redstone told me that this is a different kind of NE. It's not NE like Saddleridge :D

ExtraSlow
09-30-2013, 07:40 PM
I hardly think the manager of a showhome in skyview is a reliable source of information about the quality of that neighborhood.

That savings of $50k per house will attract a different clientèle, although, based on some of the dumps in the NW, I would have a hard time saying that it would be worse for sure . . .

flipstah
09-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
Gonna bump this up.

We went to go see some homes in Redstone/Skyview and the same homes in NW was $50,000 to $70,000 more. The manager of a show home in Redstone told me that this is a different kind of NE. It's not NE like Saddleridge :D

It's not right now but it'll turn ghetto.

Look what happened to Monterey Park and Coral Springs. :rofl:

taemo
09-30-2013, 10:59 PM
yeah i call BS, if it's east of the airport, it will always be the "NE" and i live in skyview :rofl:

friends like to joke at me asking if i moved to india

redstone has potential but those red bricks that they used are fugly :barf:

Unknown303
09-30-2013, 11:09 PM
I delivered my old fridge to some house in Skyview this last weekend.. My god that's a long drive from the classy SW to the NNEE.

R!zz0
10-01-2013, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
I delivered my old fridge to some house in Skyview this last weekend.

I bet you that their old fridge will end up in their backyard and they'll be hanging clothes on it :rofl:

403ep3
10-01-2013, 08:12 AM
I know a few people that live in skyview. They don't eat pork lol

Never bothered looking there when I was looking for a house. :dunno:

Lex350
10-01-2013, 08:31 AM
The traffic out there is bad now...it will only get worse.

G
10-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Brown Town for sure.

taemo
10-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
The traffic out there is bad now...it will only get worse.
are you referring to the 1 lane in Metis trail or the exit from Skyview/Redstone?
other than that Deerfoot -> Stoney Trail -> Metis Trail is pretty quick

i'm just hoping that they finish the back road in Country Hills as a 2nd exit from Skyview but I doubt it will be done any time soon.

95EG6P
10-01-2013, 09:35 AM
^^^^
:werd: 1 lane in Metis trail is weak i hope they make it at least a 2 lane to speed up that traffic

Lex350
10-01-2013, 09:44 AM

are you referring to the 1 lane in Metis trail or the exit from Skyview/Redstone?
other than that Deerfoot -> Stoney Trail -> Metis Trail is pretty quick

i'm just hoping that they finish the back road in Country Hills as a 2nd exit from Skyview but I doubt it will be done any time soon.

that sucks....... but no I was referring to all the business parks being built around the airport. It will just mean a shit load more traffic in that area.

R!zz0
10-01-2013, 10:46 AM
yeah they need to speed up the traffic there. My Parents live in Skyview Ranch and it's starting to get real crowded.

On the side note: Why do they leave the 50km/h sign after hours on Metis? that really screws up everything.

schocker
10-01-2013, 10:49 AM
I looked at houses there once, wasn't too impressed and it was horrible to get to so I ended up in sage hill which is not as horrible to get to and NW :D

JordanEG6
10-01-2013, 11:03 AM
I have a few friends and family that live there. It's an okay place I guess. I personally wouldn't ever move there though. Too many fobs in the NE who don't take care of their lawns or give a shit about their property. Access is terrible and growing up in the NE, it is safe to say that it'll eventually share the same fate as the other 'nicer' communities that have tanked in value over the years (Coral Springs, Saddleridge, Monterey Park etc.). Plus it's fairly close to a few small plants and gas wells in the area (Balzac is one). Didn't even bother looking anywhere up North except Sage Hill and Nolan Hill.

Black Gts
10-02-2013, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure which builder it is, but you can build a house with 8 bedrooms, they are massive and a pretty good indicator I'd imagine.

BrknFngrs
10-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Black Gts
I'm not sure which builder it is, but you can build a house with 8 bedrooms, they are massive and a pretty good indicator I'd imagine.

If they also include 14 parking spaces for the families vehicles I'd say they will have completely nailed their target market :rofl:

pinkpanther
10-12-2013, 01:21 AM
Like some of here said, It's better to choose a nicer community in an affluent neighbourhood.

If you like NORTH, then Go for NW, like Evanston, Evansridge, SageHill and Nolan Hill these are beautiful new communities in Symmons Valley.

"You can renovate and repair a house but not the community !"

pinkpanther
10-12-2013, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

It's not right now but it'll turn ghetto.

Look what happened to Monterey Park and Coral Springs. :rofl:

True Enough that NW communities are more expensive because of the place. Great looking area, uphill, relaxing, close to nature!

pinkpanther
10-12-2013, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Ven

I agree with this! I heard Monterey used to be beautiful community..Also Coral Springs and Saddle Ridge ... What happened ?

pinkpanther
10-12-2013, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Ven

I totally agree buy in a better area

rob the knob
10-12-2013, 07:33 AM
racesm

Originally posted by pinkpanther

I agree with this! I heard Monterey used to be beautiful community..Also Coral Springs and Saddle Ridge ... What happened ?

R!zz0
10-12-2013, 10:44 AM
People who are living in Skyview or Redstone are the same People who sold their homes in Coral springs, Monterey, tararidge and Saddleridge etc to go there. You wont see anyone in NW coming to live in Skyview or Redstone doesn't matter of the commute.

edit: One thing i don't understand is, homes in the NE are selling faster then homes in the NW. Why is that?

R!zz0
10-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Did you know your auto premium goes up when you move back to the NE?

This is coming from my Friend who's moving back to NE :dunno:

guessboi
10-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
Did you know your auto premium goes up when you move back to the NE?

This is coming from my Friend who's moving back to NE :dunno:

True for some parts of the NE only.

goodbabbu
11-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by pinkpanther

Invasion!!!

hahah, I live in Skyview and yes, traffic on Metis is getting worse day by day...
And i don't know when they will open the second exit to Country Hills either..
City of Calgary truly doesn't care about NE

Speed_69
11-16-2013, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by goodbabbu

Invasion!!!

hahah, I live in Skyview and yes, traffic on Metis is getting worse day by day...
And i don't know when they will open the second exit to Country Hills either..
City of Calgary truly doesn't care about NE

It's that stupid bottleneck on Metis trail when its reduced to 1 lane each way. City planning is stupid, they should've built it 2 lanes each way throughout from the beginning..the traffic during rush hour would be greatly reduced if this had happened. Anyone knows if there's any plans to change it to 2 lanes each way?