PDA

View Full Version : Need a new router

msommers
12-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I think my router is biting the dust and need a new one. I searched and found a couple but they operate on the same 2.4Hz band that my cordless phones do.

Is there an N-router you guys would recommend that can operate on something else and has really good range?

jacky4566
12-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Most Wireless N devices work on 2.4Ghz. 5Ghz devices are not that common so its an inconvenience to only have the 5Ghz. Since 2.4Ghz has 14 channels and most, if not all modern routers will auto select the best channel you should not have interference problems with your phones.

While in previous situations iv had problems where the microwave would kill my wifi so that was weird but really just pick one that has the features you want in your price range. This site is a major help:

What i would suggest is the ASUS RT-N56U because it does dual band (both 2.4 and 5ghz simultaneously) and it rated highly for bandwidth.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

msommers
12-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks Jacky. I was looking at that Asus as it has been recommended before, but upon reading some reviews on Memory Express, someone mentioned this:

DON'T use these with the new Shaw SMC modems. There's an issue with frequent DHCP renewals causing the modem to drop its connection for 1-2 mins. Latest firmware (late June 2011) 1.0.1.4m was meant to address this...doesn't work. Google "Shaw Asus RT-N56U" for more info. Router is great if you're not on Shaw.

I just checked the modem from Shaw as I don't know if it is a SMC modem or not. All it says is:

Motorala
SURFboard
SB5102

jacky4566
12-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Really? i have a Cisco DPC3825 modem/router with broadband 100 so its not a problem. I heard the SMC Modem/Routers are crap anyway. As far as frequent DHCP changes might be only a problem with the SMC because my ip hasnt changed in 3 years

I also have a DIR 655 which is fantastic. The only thing i wish for was duel band, it also didnt play nice with shaw for a while but its been good for months now.

Mitsu3000gt
12-01-2011, 03:16 PM
+1 for the DIR-655. Myself and a whole bunch of people I know use that router. It just works perfectly with everything. All my old network issues disappeared when I bought one. It works 100% fine with Shaw. Seems to be highly recommended everywhere you look.

SmAcKpOo
12-01-2011, 03:21 PM
The DIR-655 won't handle the new broadband packages from Shaw. Just an FYI

msommers
12-01-2011, 03:23 PM
I honestly have no idea what that means lol.

jacky4566
12-01-2011, 04:16 PM
The DIR655 does not have the internal bandwidth to dish out 100mb/s of data the best mine could do was about 80 max. So im using the internal DHCP server of the router/modem for gigabit stuff and the DIR655 for wireless.

Not trying to confuse the OP. ;)

revelations
12-01-2011, 05:12 PM
FYI -

OP if the wattage is the same with both routers, youll probably lose a bit of range with the 5Ghz model as compared to the old 2.4Ghz unit

(shorter radio wave lenghts dont travel as far).

I noticed this recently when I picked up a dual band unit - I could pick up the 2.4 signal much farther than the 5.

msommers
12-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Was looking at the dir-855 because of the 2.4hz and 5hz channels. The problem was that barely anyone cares it, and it's at least x3 as expensive as the others! Picked up the dir-655 from ME with the replacement over 3 years since a lot of reviews were saying it crapped out on them.

Upon initial setup, it was just as bad as my other one. At least consistently bad instead of dropping all the time but signal strength was lousy. Then I changed the channel to output N-only and I'm getting between 50-60% signal strength which isn't terrible considering the obstructions between the router and my computer. For some reason it automatically dropped to G instead of N which was odd, as the only wireless device connected to it is an N-card. I can actually log in to BF3 now so I'm happy :)

Once thing I would like to setup is printing over the network. It seems if I plug in the printer via USB, all computers on the network should be able to print from it. Is it just that simple or are there some other steps?

jacky4566
12-01-2011, 07:51 PM
The USB on it is a waste of time. You will have to read the documentation but its a pain to setup.

dragonone
12-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Was looking at the dir-855 because of the 2.4hz and 5hz channels. The problem was that barely anyone cares it, and it's at least x3 as expensive as the others! Picked up the dir-655 from ME with the replacement over 3 years since a lot of reviews were saying it crapped out on them.

Upon initial setup, it was just as bad as my other one. At least consistently bad instead of dropping all the time but signal strength was lousy. Then I changed the channel to output N-only and I'm getting between 50-60% signal strength which isn't terrible considering the obstructions between the router and my computer. For some reason it automatically dropped to G instead of N which was odd, as the only wireless device connected to it is an N-card. I can actually log in to BF3 now so I'm happy :)

Once thing I would like to setup is printing over the network. It seems if I plug in the printer via USB, all computers on the network should be able to print from it. Is it just that simple or are there some other steps?

that kind of sucks... are you sure the unit is not defective? i'm using a 655 myself and have setup another 4 for family/friends and none of them have dropped signal. i do agree that it doesn't have the greatest signal strength though.

the usb function isn't the greatest, but it does work as advertised... sometimes:nut: i have since been using a wireless all-in-one.

i'm eyeing this Netgear WNDR4500 (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36599) at the moment. great reviews. quite expensive though :drool:

DeeK
12-01-2011, 11:32 PM
I have the Netgear WNDR3700. It's awesome. It works on the 5Ghz freq. Anything from there is a step up, but you are paying a hefty price. The 3700 is more capable than most people use anyways.

I've gone through a ton of routers too. I tried them all. Linksys, D-link, etc etc.

Netgear WNDR3700 is by far the best router I've had.

msommers
12-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by dragonone

that kind of sucks... are you sure the unit is not defective? i'm using a 655 myself and have setup another 4 for family/friends and none of them have dropped signal. i do agree that it doesn't have the greatest signal strength though.

the usb function isn't the greatest, but it does work as advertised... sometimes:nut: i have since been using a wireless all-in-one.

i'm eyeing this Netgear WNDR4500 (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36599) at the moment. great reviews. quite expensive though :drool:

I think I worded it poorly. My previous router was dropping signal. This new one was just consistently low signal strength until I switched it to N band only.

That router is twice as much and I got a 3 year product replacement! We'll see how this one goes I guess and get something later if it doesn't work out! Let us know if you get it and share your thoughts.

BigMass
12-02-2011, 01:06 AM
wndr3700 bar none. Especially now you can pick one up for around $80 or so on sale. I use it exclusively on the 5ghz band and it's flawless.

Offroad
12-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
wndr3700 bar none. Especially now you can pick one up for around $80 or so on sale. I use it exclusively on the 5ghz band and it's flawless.

:thumbsup: Love mine never any problems

Mitsu3000gt
12-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by SmAcKpOo

What do you mean by that? I have broadband 100 and I can max it out no problem through my 655 (About 11-12 MB/s).

ipeefreely
12-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

What do you mean by that? I have broadband 100 and I can max it out no problem through my 655 (About 11-12 MB/s).

Me too! :nut: :dunno:

beyond_ban
12-02-2011, 08:39 PM
I am currently using the DIR-655 with shaw extreme and my internet always seems to cut in and out. I have called shaw many times but they always send me on a random goose chase and they seem to blame everything except for their service. They have told me to get a new router, so some of the things said above are kind of interesting to me.

Mitsu3000gt
12-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
I am currently using the DIR-655 with shaw extreme and my internet always seems to cut in and out. I have called shaw many times but they always send me on a random goose chase and they seem to blame everything except for their service. They have told me to get a new router, so some of the things said above are kind of interesting to me.

It's not going to be your router, unless your specific unit is faulty. Tons of people using the 655 on broadband 100 with zero issues, and I used to use it on Extreme too. In my family/friend circle alone there are probably 10 of them, all running broadband 100 or extreme perfectly. Maybe try plugging your internet straight into your computer and check the speed?

elite
12-03-2011, 12:20 AM
I just picked up the Linksys E2000 from the black friday memory express sale for 40 bucks. I have only been using it for a few days but it seems to do the job. It is dual band selectable (I believe the 3000 is simultaneous) so if your devices do support the 5ghz frequency that's always an option.

However I am not using it as my primary router. I just upgraded to broadband 50 and shaw supplied the new router/modem boxes. I have this one (in another room) set up as a client bridge so I can have my ps3 and phat xbox plugged in through ethernet. Honestly for the price it was a good deal (even does gigabit for streaming on the network).

http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Routers/Linksys-E2000-Advanced-Wirelessn-router_stcVVproductId97826161VVcatId551966VVviewprod.htm

codetrap
12-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by SmAcKpOo

Care to elaborate? I'm on Shaw 50 and I can nail that 50Mb no problem. On the gig Ports, my actual throughput peaks around 970Mb, which is probably due to the fact that I used cat5e in the walls.

I had problems at first with my dir-655 resetting the connection and other almost untrackable issues, until I put it on an APC ups with power conditioning. That solved it.

thetransporter
12-03-2011, 06:14 PM
pick up a buffalo N router.. 64mb ram 400mhz CPU best range with dd-wrt preinstalled

Kardon
12-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Once I put DD-WRT on my wrt300n a year or two ago it's pretty much been 100% problem free.

elite
12-04-2011, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Kardon
Once I put DD-WRT on my wrt300n a year or two ago it's pretty much been 100% problem free.

Once you go dd-wrt you dont go back. Any router you get I would recommend flashing to dd-wrt firmware