PDA

View Full Version : Engagement Diamond POLL

civicHB
12-03-2011, 01:37 AM
Hello Beyond,

Need your help before I make a purchase of a diamond ring.

The band is going to be 18k YELLOW gold. I'm leaning towards diamond #1 and would never consider a J colored diamond, but the salesperson mentioned that #2 could be good as well because the yellow gold would hide some of the color imperfections of the diamond.

Does that make any sense? should I just stick to diamond # 1 or should diamond # 2 be considered?

Thanks!

Link to the wedding band (http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/contemporary-rings/gold-diamond-solitaire-engagement-ring.html)

Here are the two diamonds I'm considering.

#1 ~$4000
Shape: Princess
Carat weight: 0.92
Cut: Premium
Color: F
Clarity: VVS2
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 69.5%
Table: 74.0%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Slightly thick to thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.58*5.32*3.70
Ratio: 1.05

#2 ~$3500
Shape: Princess
Carat weight: 1.14
Cut: Ideal
Color: J
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 70.5%
Table: 68.0%
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Girdle: Extremely thin to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.90*5.87*4.14
Ratio: 1.01

OU812
12-03-2011, 09:40 AM
for $500 get the one you want. It's a once off purchase

civicHB
12-03-2011, 11:29 AM
for those polling for neither of these diamonds, any reasons why?

thanks

eglove
12-03-2011, 11:37 AM
yellow gold :barf:

project240
12-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by eglove
yellow gold :barf:

Yep, not a fan either.

masoncgy
12-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Not a fan of yellow gold either.

nitram
12-03-2011, 01:30 PM
seems like #1 is a much better diamond than #2 even though it's smaller. Really depends if you (or the girl) likes quality or quantity.

Have you checked bluenile? I actually just ordered one from them and their website makes it easy to search thru a lot of choices.

PS: don't like the yellow gold either.

Weapon_R
12-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Have you seen both diamonds? J would give off a slight yellow hue but both diamonds will pick up the yellow from the band. Spending extra money on the F color would be defeated by your choice of buying a yellow gold band I think.

For me, the cut would make all the difference. Round cuts reflect light better than square cuts, so it'll probably sparkle more. Neither diamond will have any inclusions that you can see, so clarity wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. If the princess has a better cut and sparkles more, I would go for that given its size.

A790
12-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Have you seen both diamonds? J would give off a slight yellow hue but both diamonds will pick up the yellow from the band. Spending extra money on the F color would be defeated by your choice of buying a yellow gold band I think.

For me, the cut would make all the difference. Round cuts reflect light better than square cuts, so it'll probably sparkle more. Neither diamond will have any inclusions that you can see, so clarity wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. If the princess has a better cut and sparkles more, I would go for that given its size.
Good answer!

Do you know a lot about diamonds/jewellery? I have some questions about future purchases...

civicHB
12-03-2011, 04:17 PM
The girl has no clue about diamonds, but I prefer quality, and the size difference is also not THAT substantial.

I checked out bluenile and jamesallen. Will probably use one of them.

Originally posted by nitram
seems like #1 is a much better diamond than #2 even though it's smaller. Really depends if you (or the girl) likes quality or quantity.

Have you checked bluenile? I actually just ordered one from them and their website makes it easy to search thru a lot of choices.

PS: don't like the yellow gold either.

civicHB
12-03-2011, 04:24 PM
These are both online so I have not seen them. The prices online are just so much better that it is tough to buy at local stores.

I have had a chance to see other diamonds in stores and i'm starting to lean towards round cuts. I may even go with 3 smaller diamonds and get the three stone setting. One think i'm noticing is that there are lots of sales at jewellery stores this time of year.

I'm heading out to independent jewellers right now and they are a huge diamond dealer. Will let you know the results

smartcar
12-03-2011, 08:37 PM
If she doesn't know anything about diamonds go for a round cut, it will look a lot bigger than a princess cut for the same weight.

max_boost
12-03-2011, 09:21 PM
#1 colorless diamond :love: but say no to the yellow band bro.

Sugarphreak
12-03-2011, 10:13 PM

Kritafo
12-03-2011, 10:55 PM
You totally need to take her and try on tons of rings...all sizes shapes and band colour.

Then do your shopping, make sure you know the return policy before you purchase.

YG vs WG vs Platinum is all personal preference and in right now WG and platinum rule the market. When my rings were bought it was all YG you could hardly find anything in WG or Platinum.

jarome
12-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Without a doubt #1. You don't sacrifice colour and cut for a bigger diamond it just doesn't make any sense.

bignerd
12-04-2011, 01:37 AM
Often yellow gold bands still use white gold or platinum prongs to set the diamond in just for the reason you mentioned, so the diamond stays white/colorless looking.

Personally I like yellow gold, I really like the patina the band gets after it has been worn for a long time, as well it never needs recoated or wears away (I realize platinum is like this as well but at a greater cost).

Pick the diamond you like. Honestly I don't know the specs of my diamond other than the approximate size. Do I care about any of the above(cut color carat clarity)? Nope. Don't plan on selling it anytime soon and was just happy to get a ring after dating for many many years.

My rings are white gold however I did not choose them.

Weapon_R
12-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by A790

Good answer!

Do you know a lot about diamonds/jewellery? I have some questions about future purchases...

I hired a diamond broker in the U.S. to shop for a diamond. She spent hours educating me on the right diamond. I learned a lot and when it came to buy, she would inspect the diamond and then forward it. In doing so, I learned enough to know what to look for. Ask away, if you want her contact let me know. Maybe when I come by the restaurant you can see the wife's ring for reference.

A790
12-04-2011, 10:02 AM

I hired a diamond broker in the U.S. to shop for a diamond. She spent hours educating me on the right diamond. I learned a lot and when it came to buy, she would inspect the diamond and then forward it. In doing so, I learned enough to know what to look for. Ask away, if you want her contact let me know. Maybe when I come by the restaurant you can see the wife's ring for reference.
Sounds good, just let me know when you're coming in so I can be there. My attendance at the bistro is more or less "when they need me".

Ryan Shawcross
12-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Why anyone would pay four grand for a piece of jewellery that isn't worth five hundred bucks is beyond me. For four grand, you can fly your ass to Sierra Leone and buy a far superior piece for a tenth of the price, and still have money left over. Plus, you'll get a trip to Africa out of it!

civicHB
12-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Are you serious?
Provide more info on this as I would not mind travelling to Sierra Leon.

Originally posted by Ryan Shawcross
Why anyone would pay four grand for a piece of jewellery that isn't worth five hundred bucks is beyond me. For four grand, you can fly your ass to Sierra Leone and buy a far superior piece for a tenth of the price, and still have money left over. Plus, you'll get a trip to Africa out of it!

The_Rural_Juror
12-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Neither. Dimensions aren't optimal for either. Ie. girdle is too thick on the first one, and the second one is too tall. Would not get a princess cut either. Yellow gold is also passe, but to each his own.

jaylo
12-04-2011, 01:23 PM

Obviously this guy watches too many movies and have not done any research on diamonds.

Here's a light read on how diamonds work and how this noob's claim is idiotic

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geology/diamond.htm

Ryan Shawcross
12-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by jaylo

Obviously this guy watches too many movies and have not done any research on diamonds.

Here's a light read on how diamonds work and how this noob's claim is idiotic

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geology/diamond.htm

From your own link:

We will also examine the artificial rarity created by the diamond cartel, De Beers,

Ryan Shawcross
12-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Diamonds are made in the molten magma deep inside the Earth. Only nature can create diamonds, but it is people who have created the artificial rarity that has spurred demand for these gems. Carbon is one of the most common elements in the world, and diamonds are a form of carbon. Naturally occurring diamonds are no more rare than many other precious gems. The truly rare transparent diamonds are those rated as flawless, meaning that they don't have the slightest imperfection.

Diamonds were not always so popular with the American public, and they were not always so pricey. A diamond placed in a mounting on a ring has a markup of about 100 percent to 200 percent. The only reason why we pay so much more for diamonds today than for other precious gems is because the diamond market is controlled almost entirely by a single diamond cartel, called De Beers Consolidated Mines, Ltd., which is based in South Africa.

De Beers stockpiles diamonds mined from countries around the world and releases a limited number of diamonds for sale each year. De Beers produces half of the world's diamond supply and controls about two-thirds of the entire world market, according to a Washington Post report. At times, just to keep prices up, De Beers has bought tremendous numbers of diamonds from countries attempting to inject large quantities into the market. If De Beers were a U.S.-based company, it would be in violation of antitrust laws for fixing the prices of diamonds.

Hakkola
12-04-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure I would call De Beers a South African company, that's just where their first mine was if I recall. The headquarters is in Luxembourg.

They have a couple mines in Canada, so I don't mind the high pricing, natural or not. They aren't a necessity, so if people don't like the high prices, they don't have to buy diamonds.

max_boost
12-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Is it any different than any other luxury good? The real value of it? Or the marketing value of it? The value and perception you get when others see you with it?

Like 15 year old girls holding fake Chanel bags? Or the corporate women carrying a limited edition $3000+ one? It's just a bag? Perhaps it has better stitching and material? Or a $400 suit vs a $4000 suit. At the end of the day still put together by a tailor making $5 working in India? Just saying.

Value is perceived. My opinion, like the guy from ING Direct, "SAVE YOUR MONEY".

50% of marriages end up in divorce.

:werd:

jaylo
12-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Thread worth reading

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/287748/help-with-buying-a-diamond-ring/

Type_S1
12-04-2011, 07:44 PM

For a 180 on the LSAT you sure sound like a retarded electrician :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

***not saying all electricians are retards....just him****

A790
12-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Personally, the diamond I buy (assuming I ever buy one) will be based on what makes sense for my fiance and I. It's about the brilliance of the stone. It's about how the piece accents its wearer.

As corrupt as it may be, there aren't a lot of other gems quite like it.

codetrap
12-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Is it any different than any other luxury good? The real value of it? Or the marketing value of it? The value and perception you get when others see you with it?

There are enough diamonds currently stockpiled to give every single man woman and child in the US a half cup.

Pretty sure you can't say that for a $3000 purse. (Which I think is totally insane too...)

Ryan Shawcross
12-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

For a 180 on the LSAT you sure sound like a retarded electrician :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

***not saying all electricians are retards....just him****

Yeah, because paying so much money for such a common "rare gem" is the smart way to go.

civicHB
12-04-2011, 11:23 PM
thanks for the link

I've decided to go with round diamonds. The girlfriend likes the rings with three stones, but I've been told that those are meant to be for anniversaries vs engagement. I'll talk to her and see how set she is on the three stone ring idea.

Originally posted by jaylo
Thread worth reading

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/287748/help-with-buying-a-diamond-ring/

Sugarphreak
12-05-2011, 12:17 AM

sputnik
12-05-2011, 08:07 AM

Like 15 year old girls holding fake Chanel bags? Or the corporate women carrying a limited edition $3000+ one? It's just a bag? Perhaps it has better stitching and material? Or a $400 suit vs a $4000 suit. At the end of the day still put together by a tailor making $5 working in India? Just saying.

Value is perceived. My opinion, like the guy from ING Direct, "SAVE YOUR MONEY".

50% of marriages end up in divorce.

:werd:

How much money did you pour into your ex-GF's LV bag collection again?

;)

max_boost
12-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

How much money did you pour into your ex-GF's LV bag collection again?

;) Oh buddy. :rofl:

R-Audi
12-05-2011, 10:32 AM

Just because you have watched Blood Diamond and possibly read a few articles doesnt make it true.

While diamonds are mined all over Africa, the VAST majority (if not all of them) are cut down in Belgium. You could very well buy a stone in Sierra Leone, South Africa etc, but it will still have the typical markup since it has already been sent to Belgium to be cut and processed. (And sent back)

How do I know?
I bought my Wifes diamond in South Africa... from a diamond wholesaler. Being worried about "Conflict/Blood Diamonds" I made sure to ask a bunch of questions about doing so.. from this wholesaler and a few stores around Cape Town. Always got the same answer. Since all the diamonds are sent to Belgium to be cut, they had no way of telling where a diamond is from.. even if this fellow wanted to get the cheaper 'conflict diamonds' he said he wouldnt want to, as all the top cutters/processers were in Belgium and certainly not in Sierra Leone or South Africa.

nitram
12-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by civicHB
thanks for the link

I've decided to go with round diamonds. The girlfriend likes the rings with three stones, but I've been told that those are meant to be for anniversaries vs engagement. I'll talk to her and see how set she is on the three stone ring idea.

personally i say go with what she likes if it's within your budget, there's no reason to get what people are saying an engagement ring should be. Plus if you look on the birk's website they have the 3 diamond rings under the engagement section too.

i actually went with a fancy intense yellow diamond, which i doubt is a 'traditional' engagement diamond.

Kritafo
12-05-2011, 10:53 AM
doesn't matter what ring you buy for an engagement ring. My engagement ring is Sapphire and diamonds my band is as well There are no rules these days on single stone, multi stone.

Just buy a ring she loves. I love my rings I get complimented on my set weekly they are 17 years old.

People spend too much money on wedding stuff and not enough time on the relationship. Look around you at the relationships of friends and family. The ring and diamond are insignificant in the big picture.

Mibz
12-05-2011, 11:10 AM
We went with a 3 stone engagement ring because she liked it. Does anything else really matter?

Ryan Shawcross
12-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

Just because you have watched Blood Diamond and possibly read a few articles doesnt make it true.

While diamonds are mined all over Africa, the VAST majority (if not all of them) are cut down in Belgium. You could very well buy a stone in Sierra Leone, South Africa etc, but it will still have the typical markup since it has already been sent to Belgium to be cut and processed. (And sent back)

How do I know?
I bought my Wifes diamond in South Africa... from a diamond wholesaler. Being worried about "Conflict/Blood Diamonds" I made sure to ask a bunch of questions about doing so.. from this wholesaler and a few stores around Cape Town. Always got the same answer. Since all the diamonds are sent to Belgium to be cut, they had no way of telling where a diamond is from.. even if this fellow wanted to get the cheaper 'conflict diamonds' he said he wouldnt want to, as all the top cutters/processers were in Belgium and certainly not in Sierra Leone or South Africa.

All diamonds are cut in Belgium? You believed this? Google it, you can see for yourself. Not that hard to learn how to get diamonds much cheaper in West Africa.

93mr2gt
12-05-2011, 05:45 PM
choice 1, color is very important, but i would fork out a bit more and get something at least 1 carat....

civicHB
12-05-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm trying, but the quality diamonds are really pricy around the 1 ct mark, and the budget is kinda tight.

Originally posted by 93mr2gt
choice 1, color is very important, but i would fork out a bit more and get something at least 1 carat....

civicHB
12-05-2011, 06:47 PM
After more discussion I think she will be happy with either, but she initially liked the 3 stone. I also really like the three stone idea and think it looks more balanced than just one stone.

I'm visiting a diamond broker tomorrow and we'll see what options are avialable.

Originally posted by Mibz
We went with a 3 stone engagement ring because she liked it. Does anything else really matter?

Unknown303
12-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by civicHB
I'm trying, but the quality diamonds are really pricy around the 1 ct mark, and the budget is kinda tight.

If your budget is tight why spend so much money they....

If this girl you're proposing to is going to be your wife you best pray she understands priorities. Any ring should do, my wife's ring was 2500, her wedding band was just an extra gold band and our wedding was under 500 dollars. Why?? Because we have priorities, why the fuck would we spend money on these "symbols of love" and all that crap when we could do more important things together, like buy a house, take trips together, etc. Wasting money on a big ring because it's what she wants or you think is shows how much you love her is a load of crap. Any size ring means the same thing, from an onion ring to a diamond the size of a fist. You make the event memorable, that thing on her finger should just remind her of the things you've done, and the things you'll do together.

Ryan Shawcross
12-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

If your budget is tight why spend so much money they....

If this girl you're proposing to is going to be your wife you best pray she understands priorities. Any ring should do, my wife's ring was 2500, her wedding band was just an extra gold band and our wedding was under 500 dollars. Why?? Because we have priorities, why the fuck would we spend money on these "symbols of love" and all that crap when we could do more important things together, like buy a house, take trips together, etc. Wasting money on a big ring because it's what she wants or you think is shows how much you love her is a load of crap. Any size ring means the same thing, from an onion ring to a diamond the size of a fist. You make the event memorable, that thing on her finger should just remind her of the things you've done, and the things you'll do together.

I like the way you think, but why did you waste 2500 on a ring then? Why not just get a ten dollar ring at Wal-Mart. I'm dead serious. I won't spend more than a hundred bucks on my wife's wedding ring. If she has a problem with that then I'll know I'm not with the right person.

Unknown303
12-05-2011, 10:58 PM

I like the way you think, but why did you waste 2500 on a ring then? Why not just get a ten dollar ring at Wal-Mart. I'm dead serious. I won't spend more than a hundred bucks on my wife's wedding ring. If she has a problem with that then I'll know I'm not with the right person.

Not really sure when I look back on it. Had the extra money I guess.. but in the end it would have been better off going towards absolutely anything else. But at least I know she's not hard up looking for some big rock I guess.

civicHB
12-05-2011, 11:16 PM
My girlfriend didn't even want a diamond. She said would be more than happy with just a ring. If she wanted a big ring I would have ended the relationship long time ago, as the ring is not what a marriage is based on. I can afford to spend a certain amount of money and thats what I'll get her, it has nothing to do with her wanting anything.

R-Audi
12-06-2011, 09:28 AM

All diamonds are cut in Belgium? You believed this? Google it, you can see for yourself. Not that hard to learn how to get diamonds much cheaper in West Africa.

Ok, I googled it.
From Wikipedia...
(Not the best reference but it works)

"Diamond cutting, as well as overall processing, is concentrated in a few cities around the world: while 80% of rough diamonds are handled in the Antwerp diamond district in Belgium, more than 50% of processed diamonds also pass through there. 92% of diamond pieces are cut in Surat, Gujarat state in India. The other important diamond centers are Tel Aviv and New York city"

I might ask this question first.. Have you been to Northern Africa? Anywhere in Africa? Not exactly the places I'd want to be looking for a back handed transaction.... BTW I've been several times and my Wife and her family are from South Africa.

I also would not risk buying a stone that isnt properly cut or certified....

Sugarphreak
12-06-2011, 09:56 AM

atgilchrist
12-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

One thing I noticed is that a 0.7c high quality diamond will look bigger than a 1c lower grade diamond because of the way it reflects light.

My wife’s diamond is under 0.7c, but the highest possible cut & colour, it is also internally flawless. When you put it beside someone else’s ring with a larger diamond, it is no contest which one is better... when the sun hits it, it actually lights up the room with spots. Other diamonds just look yellow and clouded in comparison.

This! Size (carat) is the least important of the "four c's". A higher quality smaller diamond will look bigger and better.

max_boost
12-06-2011, 11:53 AM
I bought my ex the sickest ring I could afford at the time. Thank god for 09 recession cause I might have spent even more. :rofl::facepalm:

Round/ideal/vvs2/F/1.53 oh baby it was so fine. :drool: :love:

But things didn't work and it's gone (whatever that means)

Probably won't buy another one in this life time. Nice and bling but don't see the value in it anymore. :werd:

Ryan Shawcross
12-06-2011, 06:25 PM

Ok, I googled it.
From Wikipedia...
(Not the best reference but it works)

"Diamond cutting, as well as overall processing, is concentrated in a few cities around the world: while 80% of rough diamonds are handled in the Antwerp diamond district in Belgium, more than 50% of processed diamonds also pass through there. 92% of diamond pieces are cut in Surat, Gujarat state in India. The other important diamond centers are Tel Aviv and New York city"

I might ask this question first.. Have you been to Northern Africa? Anywhere in Africa? Not exactly the places I'd want to be looking for a back handed transaction.... BTW I've been several times and my Wife and her family are from South Africa.

I also would not risk buying a stone that isnt properly cut or certified....

I've been to Egypt and Morocco. I've lived in Sierra Leone for three years so I know exactly how it works. I laught at all these "ballers" who pay five grand for a diamond. It would be like Africans paying five grand for a wooden hockey stick. Hilarious really.

civicHB
12-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Good info! its good to hear from others with diamonds in the range i'm considering
based on budget, i'll most likely be in the .7c range but real high for the other c's.

One thing I noticed is that a 0.7c high quality diamond will look bigger than a 1c lower grade diamond because of the way it reflects light.

My wife’s diamond is under 0.7c, but the highest possible cut & colour, it is also internally flawless. When you put it beside someone else’s ring with a larger diamond, it is no contest which one is better... when the sun hits it, it actually lights up the room with spots. Other diamonds just look yellow and clouded in comparison.

civicHB
12-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Now that is ballin! :bigpimp:

I bought my ex the sickest ring I could afford at the time. Thank god for 09 recession cause I might have spent even more. :rofl::facepalm:

Round/ideal/vvs2/F/1.53 oh baby it was so fine. :drool: :love:

But things didn't work and it's gone (whatever that means)

Probably won't buy another one in this life time. Nice and bling but don't see the value in it anymore. :werd:

Scat E46
12-11-2011, 12:48 PM

That's like saying a 16 inch rim will look bigger than a 19 inch wheel. No way. A 1ct will always be bigger, no matter what. I however do agree a smaller higher quality diamond is the way to go, over a larger lesser quality.

R-Audi
12-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Scat E46

That's like saying a 16 inch rim will look bigger than a 19 inch wheel. No way. A 1ct will always be bigger, no matter what. I however do agree a smaller higher quality diamond is the way to go, over a larger lesser quality.

You do know that 'carat' doesnt refer to an external measurement right? Its quite easy for a lesser quality larger carat diamond to appear smaller, as if its a poor cut it will have way more weight in the base of the stone...

Scat E46
12-12-2011, 08:04 PM

You do know that 'carat' doesnt refer to an external measurement right? Its quite easy for a lesser quality larger carat diamond to appear smaller, as if its a poor cut it will have way more weight in the base of the stone...

we are talking about color and clarity, wouldn't go below very good for cut, then the polish and symmetry are within the same percentages.

And it's the opposite, they have way less weight in the base of the diamond to make it appear larger with a larger table. However, when you do this, the way light refracts it is far from sparking.

And in that case what I say stands.

To the very best possible cut comment, over SI1 an untrained eye without magnication can't tell the difference.

R-Audi
12-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Scat E46

And it's the opposite, they have way less weight in the base of the diamond to make it appear larger with a larger table. However, when you do this, the way light refracts it is far from sparking.

And in that case what I say stands.

Its not the opposite as it can go both ways. You are just altering your statement by adding fine details to show it going the opposite.

It is NOT a set rule that a 1ct will ALWAYS look bigger than say a 0.9. (within reason of course) Thats all Im saying... so your comparison to wheels doesnt apply.

taemo
12-13-2011, 12:17 PM
look at all these ballers, and here i am looking for at max a 0.35 carat :rofl:

whiskas
12-13-2011, 01:59 PM
The diamond cut is probably one of the more important factors, after that I would probably say the clarity of it. When buying a diamond online it's very important you ask to make sure it is "eye clean"

Using this calculator:

http://www.ideal-scope.com/hca.asp

and inputting the specs of the diamond you can see how good of a cut it is. Especially with regards to how "sparkly" it is.

You see lots of bullshit branding when it comes to diamonds like "Hearts on Fire" or each retailer will have their "Signature" or "Premium" diamonds. and interestingly, while they are nice diamonds, it is possible to find diamonds that are even nicer without having to pay extra $$$ for the name attached to it.

I got a diamond with an HCA of 0.8 - all factors having top marks. The thing will outspark 95% of the diamonds out there.

Frankly, buying a ring is the easy part - figuring out how you're going to pop the question is the tricky bit.

Scat E46
12-14-2011, 02:49 AM

Its not the opposite as it can go both ways. You are just altering your statement by adding fine details to show it going the opposite.

It is NOT a set rule that a 1ct will ALWAYS look bigger than say a 0.9. (within reason of course) Thats all Im saying... so your comparison to wheels doesnt apply.

Where did you get .9 from? We are talking 3 grainer and below.

Anyways.

civicHB
12-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Update
Finally pulled the trigger on the diamond, it's a .62 CT round brilliant, ideal cut, F, VS2. Its AGS 014 and looks really nice.

Thanks for the help beyond!

Now on to the ring...