PDA

View Full Version : U-Wrench

msommers
12-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Getting sick of crawling under vehicles and having my hands freezing while I work.

At U-wrench, do they show you how to use the lifts? Basic hand tools are available for everyone? Do you have to book a time or first-come, first-serve?

Sentry
12-04-2011, 06:05 PM
If you ask, anyone there can show you how to use the hoists.

They have plenty of tools.

I think you can book a time. Most people just show up.

chkolny541
12-04-2011, 06:13 PM
http://aconcordcarpenter.com/wp-content/uploads/image-import/_0vuJZhliRZA/S1DAmHACzeI/AAAAAAAAGnI/X5Bb4I5H7ns/s1600-h/rotary-cell-phone.jpg

U-Wrench
5-1420 40 Ave NE, Calgary, AB T2E 6L1
(403) 250-1515 ‎

FoxTrot
12-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Is there any other places in the city that let you rent hoist? I remember one off pegal trail called DIY mechanics but mot sure if theyre still around cause i call their number and never any answer.

Uwrench is ok but the old lady working there is a cranky old hag.

swak
12-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Yea, from my experiences they show you how to move it up/down when you first drive in, then its all you.

They got tonnes of tools, but I'd still bring my own.

master hec0
12-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by FoxTrot
Is there any other places in the city that let you rent hoist? I remember one off pegal trail called DIY mechanics but mot sure if theyre still around cause i call their number and never any answer.

Uwrench is ok but the old lady working there is a cranky old hag.

diy mechanics is out of business. its a shame now I have to drive even further to U wrench it.

DboyNismo
12-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Omg I never knew people had shops like this. Sometimes its a pain booking a time at school just to wait half a day for a job to get done.

The rates are reasonable too. Question for anyone who has used it, do you just drive up, tell them what you want to do and they let you loose? Does the staff know their way around a car if we need help with something?

Thanks in advance.

Weapon_R
12-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by DboyNismo
Omg I never knew people had shops like this. Sometimes its a pain booking a time at school just to wait half a day for a job to get done.

The rates are reasonable too. Question for anyone who has used it, do you just drive up, tell them what you want to do and they let you loose? Does the staff know their way around a car if we need help with something?

Thanks in advance.

You just park in a bay and go at it. The guys there are very helpful and they know their way around a car.

sr20s14zenki
12-05-2011, 08:04 AM
U-Wrench is awesome. The lady that runs it...did she change? The one i always used to talk to is super nice...i always get along well with her. If SHE was being a hag to you, you most likely fucked up big to deserve it. If its somebody else, different story.

You go to the front, talk to the person, ask if a hoist is available. When one is available they will get you to drive in. From what i understand they charge a bit extra to show you how to use the hoist, after that its all you. Hand tools are included in your hoist time, but i would bring your own, theirs arent the greatest...altho they have alot of specialty tools that will get you out of a pinch. What is not included is air and air tool rental, welder, etc.

I used to frequent that shop all the time, to do trannys, etc....but now i have my own shop and my own hoist...so no need for that ;)

know1edge
12-05-2011, 07:44 PM
they never charged me to show me how to use the hoist

it's only 3 buttons/levers?

J-hop
12-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by know1edge
they never charged me to show me how to use the hoist

it's only 3 buttons/levers?

Hopefully for their sake they don't charge to show you how to operate the hoist from a legality stand point it's probably in their best interest to do so. Even if you sign a waiver saying you won't sue if you hurt yourself the last thing they need is a lawyer poking holes in the waiver after an incident.

Do they let you hook up to their power? If so do they charge extra for that? Also do thy have 220 hookup?

DboyNismo
12-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Wow I'm going to have to check this place out. I know how to use hoists because I've learned at school on different types. Sounds like a good place to go as well.

Im planning to start my collection of tools so I'll take the advice and bring my own.

Thanks guys :)

FoxTrot
12-06-2011, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by master hec0

diy mechanics is out of business. its a shame now I have to drive even further to U wrench it. So uwrench is the only place in the city that rents hoists eh?

I dont even need a hoist i just need a dry garage to change my oil as i really dont find it comfortable lying in this wet slush. Know where i can rent a garage for like an hour?

Hallowed_point
12-06-2011, 10:18 AM
U-Wrench is pretty awesome. Go talk to Andre the Mechanic from South Africa. He has some pretty crazy project Nissan's - total sleepers :)

texasnick
12-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Jay is the lady's name. If she wasn't nice to you then IMO it was probably your fault. She's one of the nicest people I know.

U Wrench is probably my most favorite place in the world. LOL never heard of them charging to teach to use a hoist. It takes what, 30 second max? Up, down and safety releases?

Any of the guys that work there (Andre included) are sooo helpful and sooo nice. You can tackle any job there and if you get stuck there is always a bunch of people around to offer help or give you a hand.

They have power, not sure about 220.

sr20s14zenki
12-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Maybe it was just in the beginning that they charged to learn how to use the hoist, or maybe it was when Dave still operated the place....my memory escapes me. I remember him telling me that normally theres a fee but since im a regular he wont charge me....that was a long time ago.

But yah, great place. Andre is hilarious haha. One day i went in wearing my "sr20det, owning you since 1991" hoodie and he read it and just howeled, and then we proceeded to yack for the next hour or so about nissans.

they dont charge for using their power. i think theres just an air tool charge.... again i havent been there in about 6 months so i cant remember.

n1zm0
12-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by texasnick
LOL never heard of them charging to teach to use a hoist. It takes what, 30 second max? Up, down and safety releases?

:werd: but maybe it's an insurance thing? i haven't been there in a looooong time but OP are you interested in the rhino ramps at all? i have been using them for a few years now, use them for general maintenance diy stuff all the time, that plus a creeper and some proper work gloves that is.

Hallowed_point
12-06-2011, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

But yah, great place. Andre is hilarious haha. One day i went in wearing my "sr20det, owning you since 1991" hoodie and he read it and just howeled, and then we proceeded to yack for the next hour or so about nissans.

Yeah no doubt!! he has some stories about how when he worked for Nissan about how much you can do with computer programming to make a lot of the Nissan cars as fast as a Skyline? I could be misunderstanding him though :rofl: He has a Micra and a Hardbody that you would never guess have been modded. I was shocked :eek: Like tarps, Calvin & Hobbes stickers, rust, massive dents :D and a turbo red top under the hood :thumbsup:

LOL I remember when he did the LCA's on my turbo neon and he looked pissed. It took him like 4 hours , he had to burn out the old bushings and everything. Then I think he realized why I didn't want to do it myself! He says "tell your friends to do it themselves!!" Haha, great guy though. Highly recommend him!:thumbsup:

texasnick
12-06-2011, 04:02 PM
unless it's something the started in the last 6 months, I don't think they do that anymore.

Last I saw Andre in May he was working on swapping an sr20det into his pickup haha. Crazy mofo and funny enough, he's worked on most jap imports quite a bit. He gave me a lot of help with my st205.

know1edge
12-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by FoxTrot
So uwrench is the only place in the city that rents hoists eh?

I dont even need a hoist i just need a dry garage to change my oil as i really dont find it comfortable lying in this wet slush. Know where i can rent a garage for like an hour?

they do that too

frozenrice
12-06-2011, 11:56 PM
How long has u-wrench been under the new owner? Last time I was there only a few years ago, it was some older large guy with some kind of punting dog. It was humorous to say, to see this big burly dude with a tiny little pomeranian.

FoxTrot
12-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by know1edge

they do that too

I tried again today and cant even get the damn bolt off under the car cause the ratchet i have has too much meat on the back so its hitting a black bar.

If anyone here is willing to help me out and willing to crawl under my car and pop this 3/8" bolt off, ill compensate you, just pm me with where abouts you are and what you want. Probably a 15min job.

frozenrice
12-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Can you get a breaker bar in there to get it started and then use a gear wrench on it?

sr20s14zenki
12-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
How long has u-wrench been under the new owner? Last time I was there only a few years ago, it was some older large guy with some kind of punting dog. It was humorous to say, to see this big burly dude with a tiny little pomeranian.

That was Dave. Apparently he was part owner, and was having disagreements with the others about how to run the place...so he got out. he was pretty cool, place was always full when he was there....