PDA

View Full Version : The Naaco Truck

Gondi Stylez
12-05-2011, 12:03 AM
I am super excited to tell you all about a new food truck that will be hitting the streets this coming spring - The Naaco Truck brings neo-retro Indian curbside eats without compromising social responsibility. When Naan met taco - a spicy affair began ;)

I'm the chef and owner behind this amazing truck and I look forward to all of Beyond coming down and munching on my Naaco!

Twitter: @thenaacotruck (https://twitter.com/#!/TheNaacoTruck)
Facebook: The Naaco Truck (https://www.facebook.com/TheNaacoTruck?sk=info)

Please feel free to ask questions (in fact that is what I'd like) - what you like about the trucks (and what you don't), pricing, etc. and I'll do my best to field them.

Thank you all so much for the support and I'll keep this thread updated with progress updates and pics.

n1zm0
12-05-2011, 11:28 AM
followed!, now if i can only find time to visit the food trucks...

Tik-Tok
12-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez

I'm the chef and owner behind this amazing truck

In that case, I suggest you look into Beyond's Sponsorship/Advertisement fees before this thread gets deleted.

rage2
12-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
In that case, I suggest you look into Beyond's Sponsorship/Advertisement fees before this thread gets deleted.
We've been reviewing a lot of food trucks on our blog lately, and Gondi Stylez is super OG, so I'll let this thread go.

Merry Xmas, looking fwd to trying it out!

Gondi Stylez
12-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by rage2

We've been reviewing a lot of food trucks on our blog lately, and Gondi Stylez is super OG, so I'll let this thread go.

Merry Xmas, looking fwd to trying it out!

Thanks Rage!

bourge73
12-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Whats on the menu? Help us Beyond office peeps without FB/Twatter Access....

rage2
12-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks Rage!
np, and don't be a stranger! Haven't seen you around here in a while now!

Gondi Stylez
12-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Appreciate the support thus far Beyond!

Some other people have asked me what neo-retro and social responsibility means so I'll share.

Neo-retro is a modern interpretation on an old-school dish. My menu consists of base flavours most would be familiar with (eg. Butter Chicken) but I'm serving it with condiments, toppings and chutneys that you would not associate with Indian food and in a platform that is a play on the classic Mexican taco - rethought as a naan bread taco.

As for social responsibility, almost everything on my truck has been sourced from organic, local and/or sustainable operations. I support numerous establishments in the city because, well - why the hell not! All of my disposable merchandise is made from recycled products, compostable and/or biodegradable materials - including the water bottles. Even our uniforms are recycled cotton and burlap. This concept is very important to me and I'm proud to be the first truck and brick and motor place that serves this style of cuisine with top rate products and service.

Everything is made in-truck - outside of the Naan (I couldn't do it better in this format) and the bacon salt. My goal is to bring restaurant, farmer-driven food to the masses at a price point that is excellent value for money.

I've attached a copy of the menu for you to salivate over.

(updated menu coming soon)

Gondi Stylez
12-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by rage2

np, and don't be a stranger! Haven't seen you around here in a while now!

It has been a while being away from the community. I've done a fair bit of lurking though!

me_dennis
12-05-2011, 02:36 PM
How big are these "naaco's"?

Would they be about the size of a donair, or closer to the size of the los compadre's tacos?

Gondi Stylez
12-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by me_dennis
How big are these "naaco's"?

Would they be about the size of a donair, or closer to the size of the los compadre's tacos?

They are 6" with a 1/4 lb of meat or fritters, a salad, topping and chutney (1 on the naaco and 1 on the side). Very filling and incredibly delicious.

me_dennis
12-05-2011, 02:51 PM
awesome! can't wait to try it!
Where did you get the food truck from? purchased from the states? or custom built?

Gondi Stylez
12-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by me_dennis
awesome! can't wait to try it!
Where did you get the food truck from? purchased from the states? or custom built?

Sourced the truck in Edmonton and getting the kitchen custom. Being a chef I'm picky - so I did what I want.

bourge73
12-05-2011, 03:00 PM
I hope the Vindaloo is Spppppppicy!:drool:

HyperZell
12-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Really looking forward to giving this a try. Good luck with the truck!

Guillermo
12-05-2011, 04:16 PM
sounds awesome, but this thread really needs pictures. :D

Guillermo
12-05-2011, 04:27 PM
the existing food trucks are far too overpriced for the amount of food they give you. keep your prices low, people will buy more!

adam c
12-05-2011, 04:52 PM
^^ organic and recycled products don't come cheap, prices have to be sacrificed a bit

Guillermo
12-05-2011, 05:10 PM
^^but then again he's not paying rent, mortgage, heat, water, property taxes, etc. etc. etc. for whatever reason, the other food trucks in YYC have failed to pass that savings on to the customer.

i don't think many of those trucks will last very long. once the novelty wears off, people are going to realize how silly it is to wait an hour and pay 50% more than you would in a food court, just because it's being sold from a truck. :rofl: i was just in Austin Texas though, where they have hundreds if not thousands of trucks on literally every corner of the city, and you can get full for $4-6. LOL @ the fools selling 4 perogies for $12.

bourge73
12-05-2011, 05:37 PM
^^ Off topic sorry but which ones did you try in Austin? I am going down to visit my bro that lives there and just watched Eat St. and a few were featured and looked delish!

Guillermo
12-05-2011, 06:11 PM
awesome, you're gonna love Austin, it's a wonderful city! as for the food trucks, just look at this map and see what is nearby at the time. http://austinfoodcarts.com/austin-mobile-food-cart-trailer-map-2

then you can read about it at http://austinfoodcarts.com

bourge73
12-05-2011, 06:56 PM
^^ Awesome thanks! I've been last year and loved Austin (he actually just bought another place in Roundrock, and we are going to play again on the streets during SXSW (he is a drummer and I am a guitar/bass player)

almerick
12-05-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm a sucker for curry :drool: I can't wait to try it out!

Gondi Stylez
12-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
I hope the Vindaloo is Spppppppicy!:drool:

It definitely packs a punch - like it should. I use a variety of chilies to achieve the complexity that this dish needs.

Originally posted by Guillermo
^^but then again he's not paying rent, mortgage, heat, water, property taxes, etc. etc. etc. for whatever reason, the other food trucks in YYC have failed to pass that savings on to the customer.

i don't think many of those trucks will last very long. once the novelty wears off, people are going to realize how silly it is to wait an hour and pay 50% more than you would in a food court, just because it's being sold from a truck. :rofl: i was just in Austin Texas though, where they have hundreds if not thousands of trucks on literally every corner of the city, and you can get full for $4-6. LOL @ the fools selling 4 perogies for $12.

I'm frustrated that many people (not only you) think we as food truckers don't have the same overheads as brick and mortar establishments. We pay rent for offsite kitchen space, pay a few thousand a month on gas/diesel and propane, parking and utilities for a city water line and electricity for our generators when we aren't in service - the list is extensive. The overheads are substantial and I feel my fellow food truckers have passed along savings to their clients. My food and the food from the other trucks would easily be twice the price in a sit down place.

The food I serve (can only speak for myself) is not of the same caliber as a "food court". I serve restaurant quality, farmer-driven cuisine so unfortunately if you're looking for an under ~$7 price point full meal deal (main, side and drink) then my truck is tough. The most expensive combo is $14 (you get a meat Naaco, an extra chutney, fresh ingredients, mogo chips and a 16oz truck-made iced tea - again all organic, local and/or sustainable; merchandise has integrated handles for easy transport to your office, etc. and heat sealed cups to prevent spilling - all made from recycled product, biodegradable and/or compostable). I want to create a curbside experience and promote this level of social responsibility.

As I mentioned in an above post, all my food is made in-truck including the drinks. Things of this quality and hours of labour cost money. I don't call up Sysco for 50kg of chopped carrots. I do that by hand. Again, time and effort that is integral to the finished product. My truck is rooted in this philosophy as it is an extension of who I am as a chef and as a person.

Ultimately, I hope you give my truck a try.

Gondi Stylez
12-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell
Really looking forward to giving this a try. Good luck with the truck!

Thanks Jon.

Guillermo
12-05-2011, 08:02 PM
wow that's expensive, but good luck to you!

Gondi Stylez
12-05-2011, 09:28 PM
wow that's expensive, but good luck to you!

Thank you.

s dime
12-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Cant wait to try!

badatusrnames
12-05-2011, 10:01 PM

Exactly, I remember reading about how in LA how brick and mortar restaurants were complaining that the food trucks were undercutting them because they had such low overhead.

The difference in Calgary though may be the short season for them though.

Good luck to the OP though!

xnvy
12-05-2011, 10:05 PM
:drool: Can't wait to try it out myself.

msommers
12-05-2011, 10:11 PM
I think I'll give this one a go sometime this week or when I'm back in town.

I can appreciate well made food, sustainable and responsible companies. In the end it may be a little more but both the buyer and seller I feel are doing business in the best way possible for a food truck. That said, companies that do this also like to mention where their food is coming from so others can investigate it as well. Also, the menu picture was coming in quite small, was this the case for anyone else?

In the end, your dollar speaks for itself and likewise the food. Then again, if you aren't happy with food trucks or food courts, pack your own lunch?

If we're comparing prices to the US, lets start bitching about liquor :whipped:

Maxx Mazda
12-05-2011, 10:22 PM
I have no problem paying $14 for lunch - as long as it's delicious, and most importantly FILLING. I'm a man, I eat like a man, I want to feel full when I stuff my face on my meager lunchbreak.

The concept sounds great, I'll give this truck a try.

One more question, it it the "nay-co truck" or the "nah-co truck?" I'm assuming it's the latter because of the "naan" bread?

adam c
12-05-2011, 10:34 PM
what are mogo chips?

Gondi Stylez
12-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Exactly, I remember reading about how in LA how brick and mortar restaurants were complaining that the food trucks were undercutting them because they had such low overhead.

The difference in Calgary though may be the short season for them though.

Good luck to the OP though!

In LA and other major cities there is a centrally located area where food trucks are able to park, get deliveries and do prep - thus keeping major overheads lower as there would be 10+ trucks involved in a facility.

Calgary hasn't gone that route yet - if it is, which I hope it does - I would be more than willing to pass along the savings

Originally posted by msommers
I think I'll give this one a go sometime this week or when I'm back in town.

Sorry to bust the Naaco party but I don't open until spring. Just drawing interest and creating conversation.

Follow us on twitter and facebook for updates.

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
I have no problem paying $14 for lunch - as long as it's delicious, and most importantly FILLING. I'm a man, I eat like a man, I want to feel full when I stuff my face on my meager lunchbreak.

Based on the tastings I've had people (men and women) were satisfied. I'm confident that my truck will be excellent value for money. If not, I know I'll be hearing about it.

One more question, it it the "nay-co truck" or the "nah-co truck?" I'm assuming it's the latter because of the "naan" bread?

nah-co

I'll also attach a larger picture of the menu.

rvd
12-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by adam c
what are mogo chips?

Fried Cassava

MrSector9
12-05-2011, 11:11 PM
this is one of the first food trucks i really wanted to try.

Gondi Stylez
12-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by adam c
what are mogo chips?

Originally posted by rvd

Fried Cassava

Exactly. It commonly goes by three names, all interchangeable - mogo, yuca or cassava. I grew up calling it mogo so I've opted to keep it that way for the truck.

Mine will be potato chip like and at the side of the truck you'll have the chance to season them yourself with an array of salts.

For those of you who don't know what mogo is or what it tastes like, think of it as a sweeter version of a potato (not sweet potato sweet) - similar texture and versatility.

redblack
12-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Pics?

Gondi Stylez
12-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by redblack
Pics?

Of what exactly?

RBPiranha
12-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Of what exactly?

Pics of ur grub bub.

project240
12-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda

:werd:

I'm a big guy and I find it happens way too often that I buy lunch/dinner and leave still feeling hungry afterwards. I like the looks I get from the waitress when I finish my meal, then half of my wife/kid's food after they are full... then she picks up all 4 plates from me. :rofl:

OP, best of luck to you.

mac_82
12-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Can't wait to try this out when I'm back in town.

dezmarez
06-04-2012, 11:34 AM
So when is this thing opening up!?!

Gondi Stylez
06-04-2012, 11:43 AM
It's opening this Saturday, June 9th. We are having our grand opening at Kingsland Farmer's Market (7711 Macleod Trail), at 11:30AM and then will be moving around after that so you'll have to check our schedule and follow us on Twitter!

Gondi Stylez
06-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Check it out!

Graham_A_M
06-04-2012, 04:19 PM
^ Cool, see you there! I wish you'd have an other means of people being able to keep tabs on you (Some people like myself dont do that FB twitter crap).

I guess you wouldn't do a set route or anything of that sort eh? I'd love to keep track of you guys and stop by when you're in the area.

dezmarez
06-04-2012, 04:54 PM
It's opening this Saturday, June 9th. We are having our grand opening at Kingsland Farmer's Market (7711 Macleod Trail), at 11:30AM and then will be moving around after that so you'll have to check our schedule and follow us on Twitter!

Are you staying there all day???

sabad66
06-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by dezmarez

Are you staying there all day???
why don't you just call your cousin and ask her directly? ;)

Gondi Stylez
06-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Cool, see you there! I wish you'd have an other means of people being able to keep tabs on you (Some people like myself dont do that FB twitter crap).

I guess you wouldn't do a set route or anything of that sort eh? I'd love to keep track of you guys and stop by when you're in the area.

We will update our schedule on our website weekly. The site will be officially launched in a couple days and we will do our best to be as exact as possible regarding spots - especially in the downtown core.

You can also follow our truck via a couple apps which may be useful for you.

Graham_A_M
06-05-2012, 01:33 PM
^ sweet! Good man, let us know what those apps are available. :)

Gondi Stylez
06-06-2012, 01:44 AM
iFindFoodTrucks, YYCFoodTrucks, EatStreetApp

rx7_turbo2
06-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Saw you driving down Macleod today, truck looks good!

dj_rice
06-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Hopefully you'll be showcased on that Eat St show and get all famous like Alleyburger

jdmakkord
06-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Had the beef vindaloo when you were at the WestJet campus today. Pretty good but I wish I had tried the chick pea fritters instead. Everyone around me was raving about them.

ExtraSlow
06-22-2012, 08:15 AM
I've got a question, more about food trucks in general. How come not all of the trucks are listed on http://www.yycfoodtrucks.com/
http://www.yycfoodtrucks.com/
I get my Blackberry through work, and I can't get facebook ro twitter on it, or on my work computer.
This website is the only way I've foudn to locate these trucks downtown, it it feels like maybe 1/3 of the trucks at most are on it.

Anyway, haven't tracked you guys down yet, but I plan to. The trucks I have tried have been pretty good. Current fave is the Red Wagon Diner.

Come to think of it, we might need a food truck review thread.

HybridTheory
06-23-2012, 10:48 AM
I had the chance to try the beef vindaloo naaco yesterday and it was awesome. The beef had just the right about of spice for my taste. I also liked the greens on top and the yogurt which gave the naaco a refreshing taste.

I also got the mogo chips and added bacon salt :drool: Bacon salt was key! There are also 3 other types of seasoning salts but bacon jumped out at me the most.

Lastly tried the S'moresas....I liked the chocolate and chai taste. It was crispy and not greasy.

Service was great. I got my food within 5 minutes of ordering and the staff working were friendly. I also had the pleasure of meeting gondi_stylez. Good work man...I'll be on the lookout for you guys when you're downtown. :thumbsup:

nismodrifter
07-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Great to see that your dedication towards your craft has paid off! Wish you all the best in this endeavor and I hope to try it out sometime.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jdmsource
07-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Great to see that your dedication towards your craft has paid off! Wish you all the best in this endeavor and I hope to try it out sometime.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:werd: Very happy to see an OG beyonder succeed doing what you worked so hard for, I too can't wait to try it out!

Cos
07-02-2012, 06:40 PM

Gondi Stylez
07-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Our Stampede menu is different (5 options) so you'll have to come by and check us out! We're parked right beside the Dream Home and around the corner from Nashville North!

Save a Horse, Ride a Naaco :bigpimp:

EG6boi
07-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Our Stampede menu is different (5 options) so you'll have to come by and check us out! We're parked right beside the Dream Home and around the corner from Nashville North!

Save a Horse, Ride a Naaco :bigpimp:

Saw you on CTV News lol.

max_boost
07-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Props. Good luck with it!

logi
07-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Gave this a try last night. We had the Naaco bits they were awesome.
Great service, not a long wait for food at all, and tasted awesome. Def recommend.

Great job we will be back for sure

nismodrifter
07-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Article in the Calgary Herald today gave great reviews and says NAACO BITES are the top rated food by the media @ the Stampede!! Nice work!:thumbsup:

Joe-G
07-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Oh man! Gave it a try at the Stampede this weekend, and it was very tasty. Had a hard time deciding what to try, guess itll be the Naaco bites next time. :drool:

kenny
07-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Smells so good as you approach the truck at Stampede :)

redblack
07-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Naaco bites are a must try.... i went back to get seconds.:D

AudiPWR
07-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Excellent work, had the Naaco bites and they were stellar!

Lagerstatten.ca
07-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Had the Beef Vindaloo on Canada Day - was delicious!

CRXguy
07-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Wife and I tried the Panchy Pig and Naaco Bites yesterday. :thumbsup:

KappaSigma
07-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Tried the bites today. They were okay. Tasty but not mind blowing to me. Wouldnt have them again. Not a fan of the coldslaw they came with...I thought it was quite under seasoned and didnt compliment it as well as it should. The slaw needs some sort of crunch, where its a dry noodle, some sort of seeds, etc.

BigDL
07-14-2012, 10:19 PM
I really liked the Naaco bites but the Panchy Pig not so much.

[Yu]
07-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Just a congrats, I saw that you are number 3. on urban spoon's talk of the town right now :thumbsup:

Kritafo
07-24-2012, 11:36 AM
coming to Eat St! August 11th Kingsland Farmers Market 1-3PM

Good for you! Eat St has an app as well!

Gondi Stylez
10-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Read through a couple of the food truck threads and have a few "market research" questions to pose:

a) Define "street food culture"
b) What is your opinion of value for money based on your experiences of food trucks.
c) Smaller portion for $5 (ie. 6" sub) or meal size for $8 (ie. 12" sub)? The mind set would be to give variety and try multiple items vs. a couple.