PDA

View Full Version : To late to shovel snow?

JBreaks
12-05-2011, 09:15 AM
So I am shoveling my drive last night and my neighbor comes out and bitches me out for making noise at 9:15pm..? is this to late, wtf? I'm lucky to get home from work at 7:30pm on any given day anyways.. I wake up at 5:30am and commute like everybody else and I do not consider 9pm to be late.

JRSC00LUDE
12-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Print a copy of the noise bylaws, highlight the time (most cities are 11:00 p.m. for "quiet time") and leave it in his mailbox.

You could add an addendum offering him the opportunity to clear your driveway for you if he is offended by your work schedule. Or, just tell him to go eat a bag of dicks.

GOnSHO
12-05-2011, 09:18 AM
tell him to go pound snow... :guns:

or the above.. haa!

Cos
12-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by JBreaks
So I am shoveling my drive last night and my neighbor comes out and bitches me out for making noise at 9:15pm..? is this to late, wtf? I'm lucky to get home from work at 7:30pm on any given day anyways.. I wake up at 5:30am and commute like everybody else and I do not consider 9pm to be late.

•Between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. Monday to Saturday and 10pm to 9am on Sunday and holidays, you may not operate:
◦A hand lawn mower
◦A motorized garden tool
◦A power tool outside of any building or structure
◦A model aircraft driven by an internal combustion engine of any kind
◦A snow clearing device powered by an engine of any kind (snow clearing devices are exempt during the 48 hour period following a snowfall)
◦A motorized snow or leaf blowing device

Legally you seem fine.... now to get alone with your neighbor? Not sure.

JBreaks
12-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Ya i dunno wtf his deal was...... Ya I was scraping the crap out of my drive with a shovel but I'm seeing kids walk by with crazy carpets and stuff.

I think I'll go the copy of bylaws route if it becomes an issue... but wow way to totally negate the 'neighborly relations', never had an issue with the guy until yesterday.

Cos
12-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Ya i dunno wtf his deal was......

Personally 9:15 to clear snow is being anal (especially since it is nice to not have snow). You dont know why he thinks 9:15 is late. Does he have a 3 month old kid he finally got to sleep? What about him working weird shifts or something? I would speak to him first and see why he is being like that.

Or he could just be a dick.

As I said legally you are fine but I would speak to him first.

SJW
12-05-2011, 09:32 AM

Go build a big snow sculpture of a big giant cock-n-balls on his lawn.

FraserB
12-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Legally you can use a shovel anytime of day or night. The scraping of a shovel on the driveway is in no way prohibited.

lilmira
12-05-2011, 09:34 AM
How loud can shoveling snow be? You are not riding a bulldozer and yelling yeeha right?

2Legit2Quit
12-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Well, time to burn his house down. It's your only option.

project240
12-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

You could add an addendum offering him the opportunity to clear your driveway for you if he is offended by your work schedule.

Go talk with him and encourage him to have your driveway cleared so you aren't forced to "disturb" him later.

pea_soup
12-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Who cares why he thinks 9pm is too late. Maybe he should understand he lives in the city and it's your right to blaze music until 11pm if you really want.

Tell him if he wants the quiet life style to move out to a rural area. People like this honest to god drive me off the wall as they are absolute control freaks.

If noise is a huge concern of his maybe he should have his entire home sound proofed.

codetrap
12-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Or, you could really take the high ground... wait till the next evening snowfall, and go out and shovel HIS driveway at 9pm. When he comes out to bitch and complain.. then see's you doing his driveway.

Pretty sure he'll realize he's being a total ass at that point on his own, and you'll be able to have good neighbor relations going forward.

Cos
12-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by pea_soup
Who cares why he thinks 9pm is too late. Maybe he should understand he lives in the city and it's your right to blaze music until 11pm if you really want.

Tell him if he wants the quiet life style to move out to a rural area. People like this honest to god drive me off the wall as they are absolute control freaks.

If noise is a huge concern of his maybe he should have his entire home sound proofed.

Not sure why everyone thinks it is 11pm.

•Noise can include, but is not limited to, yelling, shouting, loud music, horns, power tools and air conditioners.
•You have the right not to be disturbed by noise.
•You have the responsibility to not make noise that disturbs others.
•Between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. Monday to Saturday and 10pm to 9am on Sunday and holidays, you may not operate:
◦A hand lawn mower
◦A motorized garden tool
◦A power tool outside of any building or structure
◦A model aircraft driven by an internal combustion engine of any kind
◦A snow clearing device powered by an engine of any kind (snow clearing devices are exempt during the 48 hour period following a snowfall)
◦A motorized snow or leaf blowing device
•You may not operate an outdoor speaker system within 150 metres of a residential development between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. Monday through Sunday (Exception: During the Calgary Stampede, restrictions are in effect between midnight and 7 a.m.)
•This is not intended to prohibit construction activities such as framing and interior work; however power tools mentioned above may not be used outside at night.
•Noise regulations for vehicles can be found in theTraffic Bylaw 26M96.

And technically you cannot 'blast music' during those times. If you have someone that can reasonably say that they are being disturbed by it you can get a ticket at 2:30 in the afternoon. You are not protected by the bylaws for being a total dickwad during the daytime.

Not to say that shovelling is being a dick, I am just pointing out the reference of people who seem to think you can do whatever you want between 7am-11pm.

Kloubek
12-05-2011, 10:45 AM
9:15? There is nothing wrong with that... yeah, it's a little late, but few are asleep by that point and as has been stated - it is before the 11:00 bylaw. Sounds like an ass of a neighbor.

Tik-Tok
12-05-2011, 10:50 AM
The problem is it's winter and dark out, lol. Makes it "feel" way later than it actually is, so that's why your neighbor came out.

Like when the flyer guy comes to my house at 8:30pm in the summer, I don't even think twice about it. This time of year, it's like "Who the fuck is on my porch at this hour???" :rofl:

Sugarphreak
12-05-2011, 11:11 AM

flipstah
12-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by project240

Go talk with him and encourage him to have your driveway cleared so you aren't forced to "disturb" him later.

luxor
12-05-2011, 11:14 AM
I think it's time you invested in a gas powered snow blower to piss this fucker off. I know I would. Don't plow your snow until 9:45 because your new gas powered plow can do it that much faster so you don't need to start as early as 9:15.

clem24
12-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Sucks cause it's a neighbour and those are the last people you want to piss off.. If it was me, I would've stopped, wait for emotions to die down a bit, and talk to them the next day. Not being able to shovel snow at 9:15PM is actually unreasonable. I sometimes shovel my driveway at midnight LOL. I wake up at 6. Get the kids ready. Go out. Don't come home till 6. Have to make dinner right away. Put kids down. Clean up. Relax for MAYBE 30 mins to 1 hour, and then go outside to shovel. I am lucky this time it snowed on a weekend.

topmade
12-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Shovel it at 5am and see how he feels about that :D. Neighbor is a prick, 9:15 isn't late at all and it's not like your building a tree house or having a party or something.

I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your neighbors, but I shovel the sidewalks for mine and they don't bother me what so ever. Also helps to have a wide shovel so I just make one pass, takes like 10 seconds.

schocker
12-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by luxor
I think it's time you invested in a gas powered snow blower to piss this fucker off. I know I would. Don't plow your snow until 9:45 because your new gas powered plow can do it that much faster so you don't need to start as early as 9:15.
Not even according to the information above, he can use a snow blower whenever he wants :rofl:

civic_stylez
12-05-2011, 11:43 AM
If my neighbor came bitching at 9pm about shoveling snow, id most likely throw a shovel full of snow in his face... what a prick.

Id make sure to re shovel at 9:30 pm tonight. You are obeying the laws by clearing snow off walkways. If you had listened to him and didnt shovel the rest and someone slipped, its your ass getting sued.

bspot
12-05-2011, 12:22 PM
I shovel at midnight/1am all the time. If I come home from hockey and it's snowed a ton I either do it right away or by the time I get up in the morning the foot traffic has packed it down so bad it won't shovel worth crap.

TomcoPDR
12-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Scraping ice off windshield is equal or louder than shoveling, and people use their vehicles all hours of day... so what's he gonna say when your booty call's leaving 3am scraping ice off windshield.

Ur neighbour's a dink.

Hallowed_point
12-05-2011, 01:18 PM
I like to call those types "Drama Kings" with their pseudo- alpha male attitude trying to impose their way on everyone. Personally I'd be inclined to dump all your snow on his driveway and then he can remove it at a time that is more convenient for him. :thumbsup:

roll_over
12-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Get him some ear plugs for christmas :dunno:

I try to shovel my neighours side walk as they just had a baby, maybe hes got cabin fever I agree with the others who say just let him cool off and then have a chat and see whats up. No need to be rude everyone seems to be crabby around this time of year.

JBreaks
12-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Glad to see that the consensus is that he was just being a dick.... I thought it was pretty uncalled for. I'm very quite usually (with the exception of some compressor tool noise ha ha), it was definitely a moments where I said to my self "Why the f*ck have i moved to the suburbs..."

bignerd
12-05-2011, 05:49 PM
I did mine last night at 10:30.... lucky I'm not his neighbor.

KO22
12-05-2011, 07:16 PM
HAHAHA I read this and laughed.. I can only imagine how pissed of this guy if my dad was his neighbor.. I've seen him shovel snow in many occasions at somewhere around and between 1 - 3am

AllGoNoShow
12-05-2011, 07:40 PM

Love that rule :) Tell him to stuff it and keep on shoveling, I personally would have stopped and waited another hour then started up again but I can be a prick. Your good to go!

89s1
12-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Go buy yourself a $10 loud-as-fuck snowblower from the 1970's off kijiji and carry on using it to clear your snow like nothing ever happened. :poosie:

95EagleAWD
12-05-2011, 08:31 PM
You guys are a bunch of dicks. He's your neighbour. Go knock on his door and talk to the guy.

Maybe he DOES have a new kid, and he's tired and bitchy. It happens. Maybe he had a shit day at work or something.

But that's right, social skills don't exist any more.

89s1
12-05-2011, 08:34 PM
I have a 9 week old baby (10 weeks tomorrow) and I wake up just before 5 am. Ask me if I would bitch about something as simple as shoveling snow at 9:15pm... Please do.

The only person lacking social skills is the neighbor with the audacity to make a stink of something so trivial and frankly, necessary.

95teetee
12-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Cos

And technically you cannot 'blast music' during those times. If you have someone that can reasonably say that they are being disturbed by it you can get a ticket at 2:30 in the afternoon. You are not protected by the bylaws for being a total dickwad during the daytime.
this.

anything that annoys a neighbor falls under most jurisdiction's noise bylaws.

And there's no way in hell that shoveling snow falls into that category. Partly because it's one of those 'necessary evils' that has to be done, and partly because it's shoveling snow.

Unknown303
12-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
You guys are a bunch of dicks. He's your neighbour. Go knock on his door and talk to the guy.

Maybe he DOES have a new kid, and he's tired and bitchy. It happens. Maybe he had a shit day at work or something.

But that's right, social skills don't exist any more.

Fuck that. Why is it his responsibility to be polite after his neighbor dumps on him. I'd simply explain the bylaw and tell him if he doesn't like it he can always move to a community that better supports his needs.

project240
12-05-2011, 09:11 PM

Why should this make any difference? The OP was out there with a shovel, not a 2 stroke snowblower and even then, it was @ 9:00.

I've been in my garage running a 5hp dust collector and jointer/planer late night before and my neighbours can't even hear it. (Yes, I've asked them on several occasions)

I think OP's neighbour is the one being a dick in this situation.

rob the knob
12-05-2011, 09:26 PM
in winter, with my windows closed, i pretty much can't hear anything inside my house. about the only things you can hear are big trucks rumbling, fart can racers, the same racers pumping there base to impress boyfriends, and the old man down the street who uses a leaf blower to blow snow off his car.
neighbours have snow blowers with four stroke and other with two stroke snowbloers and you can't here. if you turn everything off in the house and have no sound then maybe you can hear a hum or something very faint. strange though the leaf blower is loud. must be frequency. you can have tv on, radio, and then noise from people or what not, and you can still hear the leaf blower. and i am down the street. if that was my next door nehig then maybe would go crazy.

so i think it strange that a shovel makes your neighbour angry.

95EagleAWD
12-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Jesus, if you guys are actually like this in real life, I feel sorry for you.

Relax people... really.

89s1
12-05-2011, 10:31 PM
If by "like this" you mean civil, rational and logical, then yes... I am "like this" most of the time.

My reply about the $10 snowblower was in jest, and I hoped it to be taken as such. As for most of the other posters, it IS the internet, please take it with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

bigbadboss101
12-05-2011, 11:01 PM
On Saturday I did my driveway and sidewalk at around 10:30 pm. My neighbors on one side were doing theirs. Sunday morning I shoveled at 9am, 9:30, and 1pm.

Unknown303
12-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Go over to your neighbor and stab him.

4DoorGTZ
12-05-2011, 11:47 PM
I shoveled at 430am sunday morning. Had to pick someone up at the airport 530am.

Using a manual shovel, and not a power brush or snow blower you really shouldnt be making enough noise for anyone to care.

CUG
12-06-2011, 12:04 AM
So I am shoveling my drive last night and my neighbor comes out and bitches me out for making noise at 9:15pm..? is this to late, wtf? I'm lucky to get home from work at 7:30pm on any given day anyways.. I wake up at 5:30am and commute like everybody else and I do not consider 9pm to be late. Your duty of care to people who may come on your property transcends your neighbors request for silence. Politely tell her to go into her home, and continue shoveling.

cde1966
12-06-2011, 06:56 AM
It's not too late, however the neighbour did try to talk to you. So when they come to you and tell you what the problem is and you do nothing but complain, then you only have yourself to blame when they call the city or the police the next time they think you're doing something wrong. Or maybe they'll now feel the right to do something that will piss you off, "get back at you":dunno:

89s1
12-06-2011, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by cde1966
It's not too late, however the neighbour did try to talk to you. So when they come to you and tell you what the problem is and you do nothing but complain, then you only have yourself to blame when they call the city or the police the next time they think you're doing something wrong. Or maybe they'll now feel the right to do something that will piss you off, "get back at you":dunno:

luckily most teenagers aren't homeowners, now go play the adults are talking...

nguyen
12-06-2011, 11:23 AM
i've had a similiar situation where i would take out the trash after work and throw it on the sidewalk around 5:30 for the garbage truck to take it away the next morning.

when i moved into my house a couple years, ago i didn't have a neighbor since the house on my right was getting built still. no one had a problem with it since everyone else did it too around me.

That house finally got built, i got new neighbors and by the end of the week of their move in, i get a letter in the mail with a warning from the government saying that "someone" was disturbed with my trash out before 7pm and if i'm caught with the trash out before that time again i'd get fined $104 lol...dick neighbors, but technically illegal i suppose. some people are so anal

arian_ma
12-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Jesus, if you guys are actually like this in real life, I feel sorry for you.

Relax people... really.
????? I don't get it. What is your plan of action when someone comes to you with an unreasonable request delivered in a rude and socially unacceptable way?

He's shoveling snow, who's the one who needs to relax here?

Hallowed_point
12-06-2011, 05:07 PM
It sure doesn't sound to me like buddy boy neighbor is too relaxed... :dunno:

kvg
12-06-2011, 05:17 PM
I'd tell him too have a Coke and a smile and shut the fuck up!!

codetrap
12-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

????? I don't get it. What is your plan of action when someone comes to you with an unreasonable request delivered in a rude and socially unacceptable way?

He's shoveling snow, who's the one who needs to relax here?

Like I always have in the past. Be calm and reasonable. Nothing defuses a situation faster than refusing to get excited. Don't be a dick, don't escalate, don't act like a whiny child, don't try and act all hard gangster.

It's really not hard.

arian_ma
12-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by codetrap

Like I always have in the past. Be calm and reasonable. Nothing defuses a situation faster than refusing to get excited.
Something that can only be learned through experience sadly lol

codetrap
12-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Something that can only be learned through experience sadly lol

Yeah, but it's not that hard to do some ground work and learn a few strategies ahead of time.

http://www.wikihow.com/Deal-With-Impossible-People
http://thinksimplenow.com/happiness/dealing-with-difficult-people/

J-hop
12-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Well OP I think you deserve some thanks for actually shoveling your walk. I have to walk down a hill to get to my bus stop, nearly fell 4 times this morning because d-bags didn't really shovel their walks and now it's shear ice.

My biggist fear regarding shoveling snow is having someone fall and get hurt in front of my house and come after me for it, so as someone mentioned above, other people's safety > crabby neighbor's wishes.

big A
12-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Off topic but thanks for the links codetrap. They look very valuable.