PDA

View Full Version : Question - price per sq km for surverying

KappaSigma
12-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Trying to feel out a cost related to surverying... Anyone who may be a provider or providee have a general market value for me? thx

ExtraSlow
12-05-2011, 01:38 PM
There's a lot of different kinds of surveying. What result are you looking for, that will help people give you a somewhat accurate answer.

Are you looking for a real property report? Since you say per square km, I'll assume you mean for a rural property.

KappaSigma
12-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
There's a lot of different kinds of surveying. What result are you looking for, that will help people give you a somewhat accurate answer.

Are you looking for a real property report? Since you say per square km, I'll assume you mean for a rural property.

I guess an example would be road survery for road construction. Throw out any numbers and types...

Sugarphreak
12-05-2011, 04:23 PM

tch7
12-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Where I work (large engineering consultant) the regular rates for a surveyor start at about $85/hr, and go up to $180/hr for a more experienced surveyor.
This is not for legal land surveying, though - just topographic surveys, construction staking, quantity measurements and the sorts of things where there's a little less liability.

There's also sometimes a $250/day charge for the survey equipment, and a similar charge for a quad if needed. Also if it's a rural area, expect to be charged for mileage, meals, and accommodation.

ExtraSlow
12-05-2011, 07:56 PM
A typical oil and gas wellsite costs a couple thousand bucks to survey. That's a 90x90m square. If it's in a particularly remote area, or has an access road, pipeline, crossing a watercourse etc, that goes up pretty fast from there.

Depending on the part of the province you are working in, you may also have to do wildlife surveys (burrowing owl, feruginous hawk, toads, etc. ) Those are additional.

Pretty often, if a company has a large project, or a lot of work in an area, they will acquire LIDAR over the entire area to assist in their equaliation and placement of workspace.

So, in short, there isn't a "per square km" kind of charge.

If you are looking at a road, how long of a road, and through what kind of country? 100m, 100km? rivers, mountains etc?

Rarasaurus
12-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Road surveys are more of a boundary issues so legal surveys. Topo surveys can be done by anyone so you might be able to find someone to do it cheaper.

Typically a 2 man crew with truck and equipment will run 2000 to 2500 a day. This also includes drafting time for the data they collect.

KMs per day largely depends on level of accuracy needed, if its GPS work, and the type of things that need to be collected for example trees, topo, power poles or underground utlities.

Quads cost more on top of that as do out of town stays in hotels.

4DoorGTZ
12-09-2011, 02:20 AM
I hear great things about this little outfit:
All-Can (www.all-can.com)

Extra slow probably goes through a lot of their plans/surveys in the oil patch, depending what you need they could be great or more then you need.

Sounds like there are a few of us who could help you, we'd just need more specific details to get a better feel of what is involved.

ExtraSlow
12-09-2011, 07:03 AM
I used to deal a lot with pipeline and access Road surveys. These days, I'm more concerned with wellsites.

I've seen the all-can name come across my desk a few times.

bimmere92
12-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Topo survey is done with a GPS unit... two guys and possibly a quad (depending on the area).

If you are looking at surveying a road... what is the purpose? road widening project? re-alignment project? is it a rural road with ditches and culverts or urban road with curb and catch basins? Are you looking for just the as-built survey or a design layout?

So many variables affecting the costs.

Feel free to ask questions... I am a partner in a land development engineering firm in Edm with surveyors on staff.

Cos
12-09-2011, 09:53 PM
We use Maltais and Boundary Technical Group for our surveying. We dont do roads but we do facilities along roadways a lot.

I am actually surprised at how cheap surveying can be. It depends on travel costs and facility costs but we are usually paying $1000 / 1km for our stuff.