PDA

View Full Version : New Car, looking for experiences.

snoop101
12-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Hello all

after selling my BMW we have been without a vehicle for a couple months now and my wife is bugging me daily to get a vehicle.

I think were going to buy new this time around. A few reasons, better financing, warranty and road side assistance since it will be mainly her vehicle, and the fact that I have never owned a new car.

So have narrowed it down to a few vehicles that all fit into my budget ($300-$350/month) and needs (as were having a baby come May).

A) VW gold 5 door 2.5 - Coming from owning BMW's and Audi's my whole life I really love the euro styling and engineering. Good power and price, but less flashy and no leather.

B) Hyundai Elantra limited - Amazing styling, good warrenty, very flashy with leather. Hyundai engineering? not a sports car by any means and I hear the stereo is pretty blah even in the nav package one.

C) Mazda 3 skyactiv - roomy, skyactiv supposed to be good?. Not a fan of the smiley face, blah interior, though leather does help.

D) Mitsubishi lancer SE AWD - AWD!!! I like the styling. just started looking at it today online and doesent look to fancy or blah.

E) Nissan Juke AWD - We actually like the styling, good power, decent amount of room and again AWD!!. Not sure on nissans financing :( and I owned a nissan 240sx and it was a horrible built car.

F) ford focus SEL - Love the styling in and out. good engine. A little more then what I wanted to pay and I hear the tranny isnt the best.

All of these are the newest models and Automatics (due to my wife)

Cars that didnt appeal to me are.

chevy cruze - I heard they are gutless even with a turbo.
Honda civic - boring car and would never own a honda
Kia forte - hear they are blah.
No nissan cars or toyota

Any comments on the list would be much appreciated.

K3RMiTdot
12-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Mazda CX-5

:dunno:

snoop101
12-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
Mazda CX-5

:dunno:

I think its a bit out of my price range.

max_boost
12-05-2011, 11:44 PM
I'll just go out on a limb and say the Golf will probably feel the most steady, safe and smooth at 200kms/h vs any of the other cars on the list and probably has the best interior. :drama:

Chantastic
12-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Newer Nissan's are a lot better built than 240's lol. That being said, I find most of the cars to be boring.

If you get a Golf, just don't buy it from Northland VW. Just don't.

The AWD drive cars sound like they would be good for your wife in terms of safety and fun for you!

georgemagana
12-05-2011, 11:46 PM
please don't even think about the juke

jdmXSI
12-05-2011, 11:52 PM
What about an Impreza hatch?

If that's a no, I'd say VW or Mitsubishi.

snoop101
12-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Lots of hate for the juke.. lol
Is it because of the styling or does it actually have flaws?

I know some AWD's systems are better then others, but I was reading that the new lancer you can actually turn it on and off on the fly. I would assume this is for saving gas in the summer.

snoop101
12-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
What about an Impreza hatch?

I like how the new 2.0 has AWD at a decent price, but the financing they advertise on the website is the highest I have seen. Im sure its a decent car, but with the finance they over it puts my monthly payment way to high.

heavyD
12-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Get the Lancer. It's good looking, proven, reliable and has the benefit of AWD. The Mazda 3 is a solid, competent car but I would stay away from a first year engine from Mazda. Focus is maybe the best overall car in manual trim but the twin clutch auto is an underdeveloped first year transmission that was rushed. The Juke's main flaw is that it's a Nissan which means you will spend a lot of time at the dealership like people I work with that are always taking their new Nissans in for stupid things like failing CD players, water leaks in the interior, ecu's giving up the ghost, etc. IMO maybe the worst car manufacturer out there right now and I'm personally getting tired of taking the same three people to Sunridge Nissan on what seems like a monthly basis to pick up their shitbox cars after work.

max_boost
12-06-2011, 11:48 AM
That's true. The Lancer 10-5-5 warranty is insane.

10 - year / 160,000 km Powertrain Limited Warranty*
5 - year / 100,000 km New Vehicle Limited Warranty*
5 - year / Unlimited km Roadside Assistance*
:eek:

Sugarphreak
12-06-2011, 02:47 PM

snoop101
12-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
No Toyota? Why not? Corolla XRS might be good, better than the other FWD cars you have mentioned. I like the styling cues of it, plus I've had a chance to drive one of the news ones recently and they have a really nice sporty feel to them thanks to a high redline.

For Calgary though I'd be looking at an AWD Impreza in that price range.

I find them cheap, have more recalls then any other vehicle on the market and dont like the styling other then their trucks.

I pretty much narrowed it down to the VW Golf, Lancer, or Hyundai Elantra.

Its amazing how good reviews the Elantra has yet I barely see any around. Im assume because its still only in second year.

Canucks3322
12-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Get the Lancer. It's good looking, proven, reliable and has the benefit of AWD. The Mazda 3 is a solid, competent car but I would stay away from a first year engine from Mazda. Focus is maybe the best overall car in manual trim but the twin clutch auto is an underdeveloped first year transmission that was rushed. The Juke's main flaw is that it's a Nissan which means you will spend a lot of time at the dealership like people I work with that are always taking their new Nissans in for stupid things like failing CD players, water leaks in the interior, ecu's giving up the ghost, etc. IMO maybe the worst car manufacturer out there right now and I'm personally getting tired of taking the same three people to Sunridge Nissan on what seems like a monthly basis to pick up their shitbox cars after work.

The only issue I've had with my Juke *KNOCK ON WOOD* is that a rock hit my A/C Condenser and it's an $1100 bill...this is due to a lack of covering over it on the lower part of the front bumper. Other than that I love my Juke, although I have to admit, mine's basically black and kind of hides the ugliness of the front end, I love the look from the side and back though and performance wise, the car is awesome! Love the AWD and the turbo engine, handing is amazing...the only thing I'd change right now is winter tires because the stock Goodyears are shit in snow/ice, moreso than other all-season tires. And gas is not great, 350-375km per 50L tank using the suggested premium. Mine's got 22,000km on it and no problems, again knock on wood, also if you read the Juke forums, so far no other owners have been having any real common problems...the fit and finish is pretty damn nice for a 20-30G car as well.

OP...pm me if you're interested in buying mine, I'm selling because I won't be able to afford it next year when I buy a place

As for the other cars...the Mazda 3 and the Lancer are good but styling is dated, the Lancer came out in 2007?...the Elantra is nice but it looks too much like a Civic.

2Legit2Quit
12-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Juke GT-R

jonnycat
12-07-2011, 04:47 PM
The Juke will be rendered useless as soon as you have a baby. Good luck getting that stroller in the hatch. (10cu ft) The Mazda2 has more cargo capacity. (13.3cu ft) seats up

BigBadVlad
12-07-2011, 05:37 PM
C/D comparison (http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11-chevrolet-cruze-and-12-ford-focus-vs-jetta-elantra-and-mazda-3-comparison-test)

Worth a look probably. I'd lean towards the Golf or Lancer. Probably like the Lancer better but honestly a hatch will probably work better when packing family stuff. Throw a full size stroller in a trunk and you're not getting much else in their typically.