PDA

View Full Version : Redbull gives me the "Limitless" effect. Alternatives?

GQNammer
12-06-2011, 06:24 PM
When I first started going to the UofC, I had a really hard time balancing life with school and felt like I was running on an empty tank almost everyday. I started drinking 1 Redbull can a day for 4-5 days per week. Drinking this magical drink gave me a greater sense of awareness and concentration. I found I could stay awake in lectures AND retain a lot more information than I could before. I could read pages after pages in textbooks and actually remember what I read.

I find that days that I don't drink it though, I'm back to being tired, lack of motivation to study, and when I do, I read half as fast and I sometimes have to re-read things 2-3 times over just to remember what I just read.

Time after time, I've been told how bad Redbull is for you. I need to find a more healthier or more balanced way to give me the results what Redbull currently is giving me. What does Beyond suggest?

zipdoa
12-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Workout, eat properly, sleep properly, get laid, make money, have fun.

civic_stylez
12-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Exercise. Your body will operate much better and you will have more energy. And im sure theres a huge ho train of chicks in the gyms at the U of C.

You can also drink green tea or EGCG pills. (egcg is the active ingredient in green tea along with caffiene).

J-hop
12-06-2011, 06:56 PM
I was/am the same way. What I suggest to you is don't go down that road, I graduated in may and I still can't correct my energy levels. It go so bad near the end I was crushing 4 packs of rockstar just so I could pull all nighters to write insanely long reports (that didn't need to be so in depth but it got me the grade!) and then hitting the coffee hard all day to stay awake for classes. Soon after grad I had to resort to sleeping pills to force my body to sleep but then I'd run into the problem that at least one night a week I wouldn't be able to sleep all night.

Basically I've spent the last 7 or so months since grad trying to reset my clock. The only things that are working are forcing myself to have a healthy and regular eating schedule, increasing my workouts to tire myself out and working to reduce my stress levels which are still heightened from school.

One of the biggest pieces of advice I can give you is to reduce the pressure on yourself to perform. I graduated with one of the top marks in my graduating class, I was one of two to receive distinction. But was it worth it?? No, i probably took 5 years off my life, and I'm still fighting the negative effects. You need to focus on a school life balance or you'll burn out and trust me, learning to balance your life once you are out in the working world is a lot more difficult than learning these life skills while you are in school

Enhance
12-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Not that this would be any healthier, but you could get a prescription for any of:
Ritalin
Adderall
Dexedrine
Vyvanse
Etc.

revelations
12-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
I graduated with one of the top marks in my graduating class, I was one of two to receive distinction. But was it worth it?? No, i probably took 5 years off my life, and I'm still fighting the negative effects. Y

:werd: This was something I learned before I went to school (after a career change).

benyl
12-06-2011, 07:24 PM
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/30/how-exercise-benefits-the-brain/

ExtraSlow
12-09-2011, 08:20 AM
For Energy drinks, I do find that the 5 hour energy shots have fewer bad side effects tahn red bull, monster etc. I find those "regular" energy drinks give me headaches and make me feel generally awful when I'm coming down off them.

If I've got a long drive, I often pick one of the 5 hour energy shots up at the gas station. However, as with anything, you need to be reasonable. I had three on a 7 hours drive coming back from a stag party. The hangover, lack of sleep and energy drinks were a bad combo. Once I got home, I couldn't sleep, which normally isn't a problem for me. That hangover lasted three days.

Funny, I never took anything to stay awake in University. Maybe if I had I would have gotten better grades, instead of lots of sleep. :dunno:

lachris
12-09-2011, 09:31 AM
I would go to the Dr and suggest a diagnosis of ADHD (inattentive type) If having a redbull has that effect on you I would seriously look into it. I have worked with special needs for a long time and also have this diagnosis my self. I take a medicine called Straterra. It is different because it is not a stimulant like the other meds so it has no "down/crash"

just a thought.

narou
12-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Red Bull will force your friends/family take you to the hospital one day for several strange reasons real talk. Don't let energy drinks consume your life.

max_boost
12-09-2011, 10:04 AM
I graduated with one of the top marks in my graduating class, I was one of two to receive distinction. Proof bro?

Hallowed_point
12-09-2011, 10:33 AM
5 hour energy is the only one that has any effect on me , usually only need half a bottle and I'm good to go. I can drink a red bull and fall asleep, maybe my body built up too much of a tolerance.

But drinking these every day is seriously bad news with all the sugar and junk they put in them. I started getting heart palpitations and panic attacks so I more or less quit them.:nut:

msommers
12-10-2011, 12:22 AM
A shitload of green tea.

Neil4Speed
12-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by msommers
A shitload of green tea.

+1

I don't know if its going to help you in terms of the "caffine" stimulant part, but it is probably better for you then a Red Bull loaded with Sugar/Aspeteme.

I was drinking http://teatropolitan.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/35.jpg?w=400

out of a large Bodum tea/coffee press. The first cup is pretty mild, but by the time I'm done drinking the first cup, the second has steeped for around 20 minutes to the point where it is quite bitter.

I can honestly say, I have never in my life had a buzz like that. It was like I downed 2-3 Monsters.

Still, its a caffeine dependency is not a good thing, but getting it from green tea is a lesser evil for sure.

alloroc
12-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Not just green tee ...

Ginseng green tea.

SuperStore sells it in the foreign foods section ... Nutri-V ginseng Green Tea.

J-hop
12-16-2011, 09:06 AM
What would the ginseng do? I was always under the impression there isn't any conclusive data to show the benifits of ginseng. Cold-fx doesn't even have conclusive evidence as far as I know, most of their tests have been discounted by the scientific community as data manipulation.

4doorj
12-16-2011, 09:31 AM
I would say get off the energy drinks.
But like you Im having a hard time getting off them as well hahaha.
I hurt my ankle in the summer. It was hard to play basketball because of the nagging pain in my ankle. So I started to drink monster, you have so much rush you don't notice your pain until you get home. Probably one of the reasons why it's taking forever for my ankle to heal.
So twice a week I was drinking monster for basketball. So now my ankle is getting better, and Ive been trying to not drink monster. Its almost impossible to have the energy I had before I started drinking it this summer.
It's like crack I tell you!

mr2mike
12-16-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm taking Ki immune defence and energy formula. Originally, started taking it to up my immune system while I have this cold. I was taking one pill in morning and 1 at lunch or afternoon. Found I couldn't sleep if I took the second pill.

Just another option to test. It seems to give me energy, especially if I'm feeling sluggish but without that caffine type effect. But who knows maybe it doesn't work for everyone.

Cheeba
12-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by narou
Red Bull will force your friends/family take you to the hospital one day for several strange reasons real talk. Don't let energy drinks consume your life.

Serious question: Do you have anything that could possibly constitute evidence to back this up?

pf0sh0
12-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Lately i've been drinking more and more energy drinks. I'm starting to beat myself up for it lol, cause they are pretty bad for you.

I'm also looking for an alternative. I mostly drink them for energy before the gym for that extra energy...

Rat Fink
12-16-2011, 04:37 PM

alloroc
12-16-2011, 06:37 PM
What would the ginseng do? I was always under the impression there isn't any conclusive data to show the benifits of ginseng. Cold-fx doesn't even have conclusive evidence as far as I know, most of their tests have been discounted by the scientific community as data manipulation.
Sorry for the late replay.

It thins the blood a touch, much like a 75mg dose of aspirin and increases focus. Thus the reasons why many cultures feel it is good to keep the yang up.

89s1
12-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Proof bro?

Originally posted by Cheeba

Serious question: Do you have anything that could possibly constitute evidence to back this up?

I'm curious about the replies to these posts, both of which have been ignored thus far...

J-hop
12-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by 89s1

I'm curious about the replies to these posts, both of which have been ignored thus far...

Lol well for one, cheeba failed to realize narou was being sarcastic.

And max is just trolling as he does all the time with me. I can scan my transcripts, degree and convocation booklet which has my name with distinction beside it but what would that prove? I don't need to show beyond because I went to school for myself not for the benefit of others.

I simply used myself as an example to demonstrate sometimes it's not worth putting yourself through all that because in the end all you get is a GPA and two extra words on your degree...

zipdoa
12-17-2011, 06:00 PM

Lol well for one, cheeba failed to realize narou was being sarcastic.

And max is just trolling as he does all the time with me. I can scan my transcripts, degree and convocation booklet which has my name with distinction beside it but what would that prove? I don't need to show beyond because I went to school for myself not for the benefit of others.

I simply used myself as an example to demonstrate sometimes it's not worth putting yourself through all that because in the end all you get is a GPA and two extra words on your degree...

Scan it!

alloroc
12-18-2011, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by 89s1

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=phil%20harris%20red%20bull&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEIQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deadliestcatchfanwiki.com%2Fpage%2FPhil%2BHarris&ei=rZbtTriIDuzYiAK3zNDFBA&usg=AFQjCNHUk2jwH5NNFeCxtXyv_FLSpVj9zQ:dunno:

LuongoRobert
08-21-2012, 05:40 AM
Ginseng, Echinacea and various other vitamins and minerals will often be included in energy drinks including Red Bull. Even though the benefits associated with Echinacea as well as Ginseng are well-known if they are ingested along with other medicines similar to the types we've just mentioned, then it might lead to some critical unwanted effects.

Simultaneously we need to look after simply how much energy beverages we eat, simply because drinking over 2 energy products each and every day can result in various uncomfortable side effects. The potential uncomfortable side effects of acquiring too much Red Bull are; packing on weight, cardiovascular problems, anxiety symptoms, dehydration and so forth.

Gaining weight is surely an anticipated complication as a result of excessive amounts of carbohydrates inside the drink. The high levels of caffeine in most of these beverages can trigger anxiousness. An excess of high levels of caffeine can lead to anxiousness, sleep issues and eagerness. The levels of caffeine in the energetic beverages will affect our blood pressure level and raise it which can produce shorter breathing, heart beat problems, and other. We certainly have even mentioned lack of fluids which is generally accountable for head aches and queasiness.

Basically from this post each of the Red bull uncomfortable side effects could be very dangerous and consequently we must not take in more than the advised doasage amounts of the energy drinks. By simply doing that, we'll be doing terrific favour to our body and wellbeing.

Please see link for more details : Red Bull Side Effects | SideEffectsGuide.org (http://www.sideeffectsguide.org/red-bull-side-effects/)

5000Audi
08-21-2012, 11:16 AM
i use to be addicted to monster when i first started driving bigrigs, going off only couple hours sleep a night and having to drive long days to meet deadlines..
after about a year of 3-4 A DAY i started to get head aches and migrains randomly through out the days EVERYDAY.. so i cut it out, took me a good few months to finally loose theaddiction persay for them

i feel way better now that i dont drink that crap, and honestly i feel sick even with the smell of a monster now days.. but when im really tired now i just have a coffee or tea... and if those arnt enough to keep me awake then i bite the bullet and go to sleep.. my health is top importance to me... being a few hours late to get to location isnt as important anymore!

Darkane
08-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Lol I see people living like this all the time. It's no life to be constantly tired..

Read up on: Adrenal Fatigue

Lex350
08-21-2012, 12:31 PM
I've never touched any energy drinks...never will. I don't drink coffee either. Just never liked the taste so I don't consume any caffeine. In my 20's I used to drink a lot of Coke. Now I can't have one without getting a headache.

For energy. Eat right (several times a day) drink lots of water. Most people feel tired or hungry when they are dehydrated. Get lots of exercise and have a regular sleep pattern. That should give you all the energy you need.

chibwack
08-30-2012, 10:22 AM
I haven't been doing this long enough to say with any certainty, but I've started drinking ~half a bottle of decent red wine every night before bed. I haven't slept this good in years, and I'm actually wide awake at work. Normally I'm passing out at my desk right now. Before, when I'd have 3-4 beers I never felt this good the next day. Must be healthy.