PDA

View Full Version : Car & Driver 2012 10 Best Cars

heavyD
12-06-2011, 10:19 PM
This is one of their better overall lists as there is a good dose of enthusiast cars;

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2012-10best-cars-feature

You didn't really think C&D would make a 10 Best and exclude Honda or BMW did you?

flipstah
12-06-2011, 10:25 PM
This list is great! No S4 or Genesis?

corsvette
12-06-2011, 10:29 PM
I like most of their choices. I dont dig the Fit, MX-5 or Accord, but I'm sure they are decent cars. Can't be ALL enthusiast cars of the list i guess.

flipstah
12-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Where's the 1M at too?!

Aleks
12-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
This list is great! No S4 or Genesis?

335/M3 > S4
Mustang > Genesis

edit: looks like A6/A7 or Mustang replaced the S4 on the list looking at the list from 2010.

Originally posted by flipstah
Where's the 1M at too?!

excluded due to fact it's a special ed model with only 800 being made.

dimi
12-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Some of the cars are obviously great cars (302, A7, Cayman) but others you just have to wonder WTF they were thinking.

3 series? Common.... S4

Fit & Accord? Give me a break. A 5 speed auto? How many decades have they had that same 5 speed auto. $&#@ Honda, and that's coming from a guy who has one.

dimi
12-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

M3 > S4

Look at their list at the bottom. They didn't even consider the S4. And half the page they talk about noone being able to match the "silkiness" of the inline 6. Ummmm S4 please.

You know what the funniest thing is though, they considered the TT-RS but it didn't make the list :rofl:

heavyD
12-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by dimi
Some of the cars are obviously great cars (302, A7, Cayman) but others you just have to wonder WTF they were thinking.

3 series? Common.... S4

Fit & Accord? Give me a break. A 5 speed auto? How many decades have they had that same 5 speed auto. $&#@ Honda, and that's coming from a guy who has one.

I'm lukewarm on the Accord but the Fit really is a great little car. I have no issues at all with that pick.

KRyn
12-07-2011, 08:49 AM
C&D has been dead to me for some time now.

Xtrema
12-07-2011, 10:47 AM
"Nominees consist of all-new cars, 2011 10Best winners, cars that were not available for the 2011 competition, and those with significant updates. All cars must fall under our base-price cap of $80,000 and be on sale in January 2012."

2011 winners:

BMW 3-series/M3
Cadillac CTS-V
Chevrolet Volt
Ford Mustang GT
Honda Accord
Honda Fit
Hyundai Sonata
Mazda MX-5 Miata
Porsche Boxster/Cayman
Volkswagen Golf/GTI

So other than replacing Volt with Focus, and Sonata with A6/7, it's the same fucking list.

10 Best has been retarded for a long time by not picking best in class. The fact that S4/3 series and Sonata/Accord can co-exist in the list is just show its bias.

Mibz
12-07-2011, 11:22 AM
I figured the Sonata would replace the Accord, or am I missing the segment for coupes that aren't very good at anything?

flipstah
12-07-2011, 12:13 PM
I think the best CTS-V was before the 2011/2012 re-styling and introduction of the coupe version.

heavyD
12-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
10 Best has been retarded for a long time by not picking best in class. The fact that S4/3 series and Sonata/Accord can co-exist in the list is just show its bias.

Yeah but we have the AJAC annual list for that.:rofl: :rofl:

They just pick the cars they consider best at what they do and offer for the money and since they historically favor Honda and BMW you are going to see a lot of Honda's and BMW's every year. If the 2012 Civic wasn't such a POS I'm sure they would have tried to fit that in at the expense of the Golf, Mustang, or Miata. They used to put the Camry on the list every year before Toyota went down the crapper building cars that excel at nothing while no longer maintaining their quality & reliability.

jonnycat
12-07-2011, 04:41 PM
I prefer automobile mags 10 all stars. Probably because the Charger made it, but they do have one minivan.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/awards/1201_2012_all_stars/viewall.html

Audi TT RS
3 Series
Charger
Ferrari 458
Focus
Boss 302
Honda ODessey
Range Rover Evoque
Boxter / Cayman
GTI

bituerbo
12-07-2011, 05:19 PM
C&D: If BMW had a dick, they'd be blowin' it.

Inzane
12-08-2011, 12:23 AM
3 series? Common....

?? :dunno:

I absolutely love mine. My experience so far has been excellent and I'd have no problem buying another one. I can totally understand why it has a coveted place on the list.

dimi
12-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Inzane

?? :dunno:

I absolutely love mine. My experience so far has been excellent and I'd have no problem buying another one. I can totally understand why it has a coveted place on the list.

S4/A4 > 3 series currently. I mean its great that you love your car, my mom loves her 335 and its a nice car but still S4/A4 > 3.

dirtsniffer
12-08-2011, 12:40 PM
I guess C&D doesn't agree with you dimi

dimi
12-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I guess C&D doesn't agree with you dimi

Remember when they tested M3 vs 911TT vs GTR? Yea... They have an extreme BMW bias.

Go sit in both, interior isn't even close, the BMW is boring in comparison. Go drive both, Audi hands down. Audi has the better engine, better tranny (DCT, not talking about 335is which is more money), better drivetrain(335i has an open diff...), better interior/more spacious.

They don't agree with me because they didn't test the S4. If they did, they would have a very hard time justifying how the 3 won.

Aleks
12-08-2011, 01:19 PM

Remember when they tested M3 vs 911TT vs GTR? Yea... They have an extreme BMW bias.

Go sit in both, interior isn't even close, the BMW is boring in comparison. Go drive both, Audi hands down. Audi has the better engine, better tranny (DCT, not talking about 335is which is more money), better drivetrain(335i has an open diff...), better interior/more spacious.

They don't agree with me because they didn't test the S4. If they did, they would have a very hard time justifying how the 3 won.

They tested the S4 last year and it was on the top 10 list along side the 3 series, they dropped it this year. In that article they complained that S4 was too heavy and understeered quite a bit unless equipped with rear LSD. The 3 series doesn't have that issue even with open diff.

C&D typically doesn't like AWD cars. They prefer pure handling of RWD cars. No one is denying that Audi has a nicer interior though. I've only driven the new A4 and I think the current 3 series is still a better handling, smoother car.

gpomp
12-08-2011, 02:47 PM

s4 beat the 335, c&d must be audi biased!!!1111

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2010-audi-s4-vs-2009-bmw-335i-comparison-tests

Xtrema
12-08-2011, 02:48 PM

They did on 2010, it dropped off 2011 and never invited back for 2012.

S4 is better overall package. It outdo 335 in everything other than breaking tail loose.

But I do agree with Alek and C&D that it's a bit heavy and understeer a bit (a lot if you don't have the sport diff).

Alas, until Audi starts to make sport diff as standard, it's hard to beat BMW's handling.