PDA

View Full Version : Chin-up bar

jsn
12-06-2011, 11:01 PM
I know there's a few threads about these already, but I need a pretty specific one. I need one that'll fit trailer doors. I currently have one right now but it's just abit too wide to fit into the doorway. The piece that rests on the doorway measures 24 inches and it's just marginally too wide. Does anyone know if they sell smaller ones in Calgary? Also, the p90x style ones wouldn't work for me because they are too bulky. Having a hammer grip would be nice though.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

swak
12-06-2011, 11:39 PM
I have one that has two 'cups'' that screw into the door frame, then you extend the bar to fit tight between each cups... So its a nice tight fit. (if you dont mind screwing into your door frame, this would be a rad deal for you i think.

I picked up mine at SportChek quite a few years back at Market Mall.
Mango Fitness in Brentwood should have them as well.

jsn
12-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Unfortunately screwing into the door frame is not an option. It needs to be portable.

swak
12-06-2011, 11:59 PM
... i do know theres similar designs, that press up against the inside of the door frame (suction cup ends or something) that may be something you're looking for too.

jsn
12-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Would suction cups be strong enough? I'd prefer the one's that mount on the frame of the door if possible.

Impreza
12-07-2011, 12:46 PM
When I worked as a wellsite geo, I used the one from the Men's Health kit that I found at Winner's.

CompletelyNumb
12-07-2011, 12:46 PM
How big are these doors? I just grabbed one at WalMart for when I'm staying in shacks, works quite well.

jsn
12-07-2011, 01:11 PM
The part that sits on the door frame on the one I have is 24 inches wide and that's just barely too wide. So I'd probably need one that's around 23 inches or less. I know some shacks have wider door frames, but I often get the shaft and get the "half" shack which is smaller with narrower doors. Could you do me a big favor and measure yours?

Originally posted by Impreza
When I worked as a wellsite geo, I used the one from the Men's Health kit that I found at Winner's.
Did you ever stay in those half shacks? It worked fine on the smaller door frames?

Impreza
12-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by jsn
The part that sits on the door frame on the one I have is 24 inches wide and that's just barely too wide. So I'd probably need one that's around 23 inches or less. I know some shacks have wider door frames, but I often get the shaft and get the "half" shack which is smaller with narrower doors. Could you do me a big favor and measure yours?

Did you ever stay in those half shacks? It worked fine on the smaller door frames?

I've stayed in most of them. Are you talking about the ones where you share it with the DD or the company many? like you have a room and a kitchen, and a desk, etc..., and it is the exact same on the other side?

jsn
12-07-2011, 01:47 PM
I stay in the geo shacks so basically the same shacks. I'm not talking about the 50/50 trailers where both sides are the same size. Usually the day geo gets the larger side with the couch. Sometimes the other side is the same size, but often I get a shack that's alot smaller with just the room and the kitchen and no couch. Those ones have narrower door frames. I think they call these the 60/40 trailers.

CompletelyNumb
12-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Good point. I'm in a 50/50 so we have standard doors.

However the bar should still fit. It has nothing that rests in between the frame, just on top of the trim right? I dont see why it wouldn't still work. Turn it sideways to put it through the door, then put it on the trim ;) :poosie:

Or get the Tower 200 by Jake. My cross shift has it, it's actually pretty cool.

jsn
12-07-2011, 05:23 PM
It's not so much that it won't fit through the door. It's the part that sits on the top of the trim that is too wide. I'm actually surprised that 24 inches is too wide for those doors.

I've seen one of those tower 200 things but I was planning on starting up p90x. The only thing I really need for that is the chin up bar.