PDA

View Full Version : What GPA do you list on your resume?

GordonGekko
12-07-2011, 01:59 AM
Specifically for engineering. Those of you that are 3rd/4th year, what GPA do you list? Just straight up cumulative GPA or your major GPA?

swak
12-07-2011, 02:16 AM
You don't.

... But if you really want to, your cumulative.

ExtraSlow
12-07-2011, 07:23 AM
+1, you don't. Anywhere that cares about GPA will ask for your transcript. Anywhere else, you'll look like a douche.

Cos
12-07-2011, 07:27 AM
I listed my cumulative on my resume. Didnt give me any problems getting a job but I had a good one.

ExtraSlow
12-07-2011, 08:46 AM
I do interviews from time to time now. If I see a GPA listed for someone, it immediatley makes me assume that they are "Book smart" but soically inept. I'll spend that interview grilling them on thier hobbies, realtionships and if they have any, work expereince.

This is for engineering jobs too. Maybe it's because my GPA wasn't exactly stellar, or maybe it's from the hundreds of engineers I've met. Very few of the really high GPA people I knew in school are the kind of people I'd want working for me.

your mileage may vary.

lilmira
12-07-2011, 09:49 AM
If you don't have a whole lot of experience and your grade is one of the few things that show you are worth something, then sure.

Think of your resume as a little brochure about a product which you are trying to sell. You only need to get them interested in you (to get an interview). Show just enough, don't bore them to hell with irrelevant information. Now if you know you potential customer well, customize your brochure and sell them exactly what they need.

jjmac
12-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I do interviews from time to time now. If I see a GPA listed for someone, it immediatley makes me assume that they are "Book smart" but soically inept. I'll spend that interview grilling them on thier hobbies, realtionships and if they have any, work expereince.

This is for engineering jobs too. Maybe it's because my GPA wasn't exactly stellar, or maybe it's from the hundreds of engineers I've met. Very few of the really high GPA people I knew in school are the kind of people I'd want working for me.

your mileage may vary.

This.

Type_S1
12-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Coming out of school...it is a must unless you have stellar work experience. How else are they going to weed the retards out? Generally how you do in school shows how competant you are.

Once your out of school and have your first job and are looking for a new one...GPA no longer matters unless they ask for it so leave it off and just reference the degree you have obtained.

/my2cents

Kobe
12-07-2011, 11:22 AM
The only look @ GPA for a screening process, for example 2 dump the bottom 5%

Employers don't care much about GPA because those idiots, can just take 100 option classes and boost there GPA, they would rather a B is a class that matters then an A+ in some Bullshit, useless course

vengie
12-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Coming out of school...it is a must unless you have stellar work experience. How else are they going to weed the retards out? Generally how you do in school shows how competant you are.

Once your out of school and have your first job and are looking for a new one...GPA no longer matters unless they ask for it so leave it off and just reference the degree you have obtained.

/my2cents

100% disagree... Personal example, I excel at physics, however struggle with calculus due to its purely theoretical nature.

Calculus brings my gpa down... Does this mean I'll be a bad Engineer?? Not likely.

Your gpa is used as a small tool in the overall interview process. As "extraslow" pointed out, it is preferred to have someone with a lower average who is socially capable, and willing to learn, rather than someone with a ridiculous average who thinks they know it all and can barely hold a conversation.

I have heard this from numerous industry professionals including vice presidents, CFO, etc.

lilmira
12-07-2011, 11:47 AM
More to add, a good overall GPA only tells me that you are somewhat competent in general.

Now if you excelled in classes which are related to the technical skills that the potential employer is looking for, why wouldn't you say so in the resume?

Kobe
12-07-2011, 11:49 AM
We had done qualitative/quantitative research for my Marketing course..

We had done 30 interviews (energy, Non profit and Tourism) for calgary based companies, interviewing HR

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6136/presentationk.jpg

Just a slide from it I pulled out..

I also forgot, a few employers had also said if they do see a 4.0GPA they usually though it out as they dont have people skills usually...

If anyone is interested in reading the whole Powerpoint please PM me your e-mail and you will be free to have the information...

Neil4Speed
12-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
I also forgot, a few employers had also said if they do see a 4.0GPA they usually though it out as they dont have people skills usually...

This is staggering to me - wow

To answer the OP's question, if you do list a GPA, I would list the higher of Cumulative or ENGG Courses or Last 10 FTE.

Not to take this off topic, call me old school but as someone who is hiring for my organization I would never discriminate against someone who did well in school. I'm sure that a good percentage of 4.0's are socially inept and had their heads in books for 4 straight years, however, I'm sure there is a percentage of 4.0's who excel at the things they do, enjoy success, and are well rounded individuals.

I'm PMing you Kobe, not to discount anything you have said, but I would really like to look at this presentation.

GordonGekko
12-07-2011, 12:30 PM
+1, you don't. Anywhere that cares about GPA will ask for your transcript. Anywhere else, you'll look like a douche.

If you have a decent GPA, say 3.2+, why not list it? But I can see not listing your GPA if it's not particularly strong. As far as a major corporation coming to the conclusion that you're a douche because you listed your GPA on your resume, well that's just silly now isn't it?

Say you're applying to a company that asks for transcripts, but they screen based on resume's and only look at the transcripts that pass the screening. If that was the case, given that you have strong GPA, wouldn't it be wise to list it?

And just a thought, I think it's easy to downplay the importance of GPA when you often hear people saying how much more important work experience is than GPA. But the quality of your initial work experience is naturally going to be heavily based on your GPA.

last 10 FTE

What's FTE?

BrknFngrs
12-07-2011, 12:42 PM
I've never cared for listing a specific GPA but I think there's value in listing things like distinction for your degree, etc.

vengie
12-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by GordonGekko

If you have a decent GPA, say 3.2+, why not list it? But I can see not listing your GPA if it's not particularly strong. As far as a major corporation coming to the conclusion that you're a douche because you listed your GPA on your resume, well that's just silly now isn't it?

Say you're applying to a company that asks for transcripts, but they screen based on resume's and only look at the transcripts that pass the screening. If that was the case, given that you have strong GPA, wouldn't it be wise to list it?

I can't speak for everyone doing the hiring, but the people I have talked to/ know well all said the transcript is usually a formality and 98% of the time won't even look at it... Unless you simply have an INCREDIBLY weak resume.

Op, do you have any prior industry work experience?

GordonGekko
12-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Op, do you have any prior industry work experience?

No I'm a first year ENGG major.

Type_S1
12-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by vengie

100% disagree... Personal example, I excel at physics, however struggle with calculus due to its purely theoretical nature.

Calculus brings my gpa down... Does this mean I'll be a bad Engineer?? Not likely.

Your gpa is used as a small tool in the overall interview process. As "extraslow" pointed out, it is preferred to have someone with a lower average who is socially capable, and willing to learn, rather than someone with a ridiculous average who thinks they know it all and can barely hold a conversation.

I have heard this from numerous industry professionals including vice presidents, CFO, etc.

Couldn't disagree with you more. A GPA shows how competant you are in general. Employers want to know if you are competant coming out of school and could give a shit less if your the coolest guy in the world with a 2.5 GPA because your not competant in what 4 years of your life was put towards.

It's funny how people assume high GPA's = no social skills...this is really the only argument someone has against not putting it on apparantly. Any employer that thinks this I wouldn't want to work for in the first place coming out of school. I know this for a fact because an extremely large part of my job is networking and being social. If someone doing what I do comes out of university with a high GPA does that mean they will fail at the job? Not likely...

and it is kind of useless to say an employer wants someone who is socially capable and willing to learn...of course they want this...every employer wants this :facepalm: they would rather have someone like this with the highest GPA I can gaurantee you that.

As for the employers throwing out the 4.0 GPA resumes...might be true because personally you have to have your head crammed in books to finish every single class with an A...you should get out more...just like the people with 3.0 KD ratios on COD :rofl:

OP...Balance is key like in anything...your GPA does matter but so does your personality, extra ciricular(ie sports) and your communication skills. Like I've been told time and time again...your GPA will only get you in an interview...everything else gets you the job :thumbsup:

vengie
12-07-2011, 12:58 PM

No I'm a first year ENGG major.

What branch are you looking to major in?

If you can apply for summer internships. Or better yet, go into the field and get your hands dirty.

I'll assume you are attempting to break into O&G, field experience is a HUGE asset coming out of school. Look at becoming a well operator or a swamper with a service company... Or straight up work on the rigs.

lilmira
12-07-2011, 01:08 PM

Couldn't disagree with you more. A GPA shows how competant you are in general. Employers want to know if you are competant coming out of school and could give a shit less if your the coolest guy in the world with a 2.5 GPA because your not competant in what 4 years of your life was put towards.

It's funny how people assume high GPA's = no social skills...this is really the only argument someone has against not putting it on apparantly. Any employer that thinks this I wouldn't want to work for in the first place coming out of school. I know this for a fact because an extremely large part of my job is networking and being social. If someone doing what I do comes out of university with a high GPA does that mean they will fail at the job? Not likely...

and it is kind of useless to say an employer wants someone who is socially capable and willing to learn...of course they want this...every employer wants this :facepalm: they would rather have someone like this with the highest GPA I can gaurantee you that.

As for the employers throwing out the 4.0 GPA resumes...might be true because personally you have to have your head crammed in books to finish every single class with an A...you should get out more...just like the people with 3.0 KD ratios on COD :rofl:

OP...Balance is key like in anything...your GPA does matter but so does your personality, extra ciricular(ie sports) and your communication skills. Like I've been told time and time again...your GPA will only get you in an interview...everything else gets you the job :thumbsup:

Bang on! You know what's worse than a weirdo with good grades? A weirdo with poor grade. What's better than a party animal with mediocre grade? A party animal with good grade.

GordonGekko
12-07-2011, 01:24 PM

What branch are you looking to major in?

If you can apply for summer internships. Or better yet, go into the field and get your hands dirty.

I'll assume you are attempting to break into O&G, field experience is a HUGE asset coming out of school. Look at becoming a well operator or a swamper with a service company... Or straight up work on the rigs.

Yeah I'm in the process of looking for summer work now. I'm applying for all the summer students positions with the producers but those are a long shot for me. Plan B is a labor job in the industry. Would love to get a rig job, however that may also be a long shot given I have zero connections.

vengie
12-07-2011, 01:27 PM

OP...Balance is key like in anything...your GPA does matter but so does your personality, extra ciricular(ie sports) and your communication skills. Like I've been told time and time again...your GPA will only get you in an
interview...everything else gets you the job :thumbsup:

Spot save, I'll reply when I have access to a CPU, eyes are killing me staring at my phone screen:nut:

vengie
12-07-2011, 01:30 PM

Yeah I'm in the process of looking for summer work now. I'm applying for all the summer students positions with the producers but those are a long shot for me. Plan B is a labor job in the industry. Would love to get a rig job, however that may also be a long shot given I have zero connections.

My advice is go to every job fair you can and talk to people, start making connections now, there are TONS of companies, drilling, service, completions etc that are willing to hire students for seasonal work. I've gained more industry knowledge working in the field than I have in the classroom.

ExtraSlow
12-07-2011, 01:40 PM
People do lots of silly things, and this is one of them.

I would never discount someone solely because of a high GPA, but, based on the people I've gone to school with, and worked with, I would be extra cautious with those people. If they are strong communicators who are easy to relate to, then hell, they'll probably get the job.

IMO, if your GPA is the best thing about you, then you aren't a very strong candidate. If your GPA is one of many great characteristics, then you'd probably get the interview (and job) without mentioning it.

Good thing is that there are lots of different types of people giving interviews, so a variety of approaches will see success.

huch
12-07-2011, 01:54 PM
People do lots of silly things, and this is one of them.

I would never discount someone solely because of a high GPA, but, based on the people I've gone to school with, and worked with, I would be extra cautious with those people. If they are strong communicators who are easy to relate to, then hell, they'll probably get the job.

IMO, if your GPA is the best thing about you, then you aren't a very strong candidate. If your GPA is one of many great characteristics, then you'd probably get the interview (and job) without mentioning it.

Good thing is that there are lots of different types of people giving interviews, so a variety of approaches will see success.

Interesting points.

msommers
12-07-2011, 02:39 PM
I've heard from a couple interviewers about the 4.0 thing, that is they typically get interviews but fail miserably at them. But honestly lets face it, if you have 3.5 vs 4.0, is there really THAT much difference, especially at the UofC where most courses are graded on a curve?

GordonGekko
12-07-2011, 04:25 PM

My advice is go to every job fair you can and talk to people, start making connections now, there are TONS of companies, drilling, service, completions etc that are willing to hire students for seasonal work. I've gained more industry knowledge working in the field than I have in the classroom.

Well that's encouraging. I was under the impression that it would be tough to find work from May-August with spring break up. I'll definitely check out some career fairs. Looks like there's one for o&g in Calgary at the end of January.

dandia89
12-07-2011, 04:40 PM

this may make sense if you're applying for a job when you have extensive experience, but generally for most people here - no this doesn't make sense.

about 400 people from u of c applied for an engineering internship. companies have unreal amounts of applicants coming in. what do you think its going to determine if a person gets the chance for the interview? i understand people with experience in the field, o & g companies, any labour companies will give precedence over most people, but thats a different subject since many people in school don't have that experience.

so the only determining factor is really GPA with a second priority in extra-curricular activities. keep in mind this is for a new grad/internship student position. i've had so many interviews, i've even asked employers what they look for in students and the one thing that gets you hat interview is a good GPA.

edit: to OP, whichever is higher. Overall or Graduating GPA.

Sugarphreak
12-07-2011, 04:50 PM

Type_S1
12-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Meh, maybe elsewhere but not really in Alberta unless you are in some ultra-competitive field. The interviewer here sticks his hand under your nose to ensure you are breathing that that typically qualifies you for the job.

I agree with vengie on this, putting your GPA on your resume reeks of inexperience.

Where did you go to school/what program did you take?

max_boost
12-07-2011, 04:54 PM

Where did you go to school/what program did you take?

Brah went to one of those tech schools and graduated with something in drafting I think. But he's OG and pulls in $150K/year. Classic example of you don't need to do that well in school, just need to be cool, right place right time. :bigpimp:

Am I right phreak? :thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
12-07-2011, 04:55 PM

Kobe
12-07-2011, 05:22 PM
I've e-mailed the people that have been interested in the presentation, if someone knows how 2 post it online please feel free.

It is prettymuch comparing MRU, UofC and SAIT in the Quantitative (Surveys completed) and then 30 in-depth Interviews with employers in Calgary in the Quantitative.

The Text from 13 - 19 that is in yellow is becuase it was not statistically significant with the friedman study when we looked at the numbers.

FYI - Slides 21-23 shows the types of respondents that we had and really does show the survey had NOT been biased from one institution to another.

GQNammer
12-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Kobe,

Your inbox is full! I'd like a copy of your presentation too ;)

Kobe
12-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Cleared PM me

CivicTunr
12-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Can i get a copy?

Ebon
12-10-2011, 10:37 PM
I just put down whatever made me look the best (and tell everyone to do the same) without lying about it (ie. raising the decimal point to the ceiling). Using last 10 courses and major GPA are common ones.

My field is ultra competitive and we get a few hundred to over a 1000 applications for the entry level positions. You probably lose a bunch of decent candidates but you need to draw the line somewhere, which starts with GPA (usually 3.5+ but obviously more applicants = higher gpa cut offs).

If you don't like a GPA, I assume it is brutal and you get lumped in with that group.

Cos
12-11-2011, 10:27 AM
I do interviews from time to time now. If I see a GPA listed for someone, it immediatley makes me assume that they are "Book smart" but soically inept.

Man you are missing out on a lot of good people if you are focusing only on that. I know a lot of people with social issues and a 4.0 but I also know of many people who dont fit that mold.

- One of my friends from HS is a super nice guy, very sociable (not one person doesnt like him), was a world champion in jr curling, and graduated with a very high GPA in geology. He now works at Shell.

- One guy graduated with a 4.0 in Mech Engg from my HS. He is super chill and was a football quarterback. His brother and dad played in the CFL so he has lots of stories.

- I graduated with a 3.93. I can get along with people fairly well and feel like I have made some good successes in my career so far.

- My lab partner (who is also on beyond) is a guy everyone who meets him likes and he beat me a bit in the grades (fucker).

I didnt miss that you said you focus on social discussions in the interview but I have the feeling you screen based on that as well. Personally if you leave off your GPA (as a first time grad) on your resume I assume you did shitty. Once you hit the 2 or 3 year mark I dont really care anymore.

I have also interviewed and hire people. A few beyonders have met with me for jobs and some actually work with us now. Although I dont have a ton of experience I have 5 or 6 screening, interview, hires under my belt now.

Wtf.... we are we agreeing with each other? :D

Also FYI Chrome/Firefox has spellcheck. Not hating just saying. Looks bad when trying to talk about stuff like this.

89s1
12-11-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm glad to see these replies, I often have to work directly with engineers and the ones I hate are the ones that think they know everything and are almost robotic.

I picture those people when I think of a guy that thinks he needs to list his GPA on his resume.

The engi's I like to work for are strict, but fair and realize the way the world works (the real world.)

Toma
12-11-2011, 01:15 PM
A buddy of mine that is head of personnel for his department, does the screening etc....

His take on it is that listing a GPA is like boasting how much money you have. It puts a negative impression on the candidate right from the start.

And over his 10+ years at his position, he has never seen a measurable correlation between gpa and on the job aptitude.

GPA is not at all important. If you lived at mommy and daddies and could study 40 hours a week, sure, maybe you could do a4.0.

Or, if you worked near full time hours, and pulled a 3.0.

Is person a any smarter?

Super_Geo
12-11-2011, 01:38 PM
It all depends on the job you're looking for... fact of the matter is, when you're graduating university you likely have dick all for real work experience (unless you had some summer internships in the field, etc).

Highly sought after jobs will require you to put your GPA on your resume... if you're working for a smaller shop it might not matter. I know a bunch of my friends who went into engineering for the major oil companies had to submit a transcript. If you're looking for anything in finance you better believe you'll need to list a GPA... and it better be north of 3.5.

If you're applying to a smaller shop who won't see 100s of applications for each job posting you might be able to get away with not putting it on.

Keep in mind, as soon as you get a job in industry you drop that from your resume. Under the education section of my resume I just put that I graduated with honors, not what the GPA was.

turbotrip
12-11-2011, 04:17 PM
I chose not to put my GPA on my resume. But thats probably because if I had put it down, I wouldn't have gotten a single call back lol. However, 80% of the people that graduated with me did put it down, and it definitely helps you get in with the most in-demand companies.

magicalpoop
12-12-2011, 10:28 PM

There's a true story of a recent UofC accountant grad, he was 3.8+ Gpa material.

Although he made the mistake of barging into an E&Y (one of the major multi-national Accounting firms in Calgary; the Big 4) interview and making some sort of scene from what I heard.

Anyways, the E&Y recruiter told him "good luck finding a job with the big4 here in Calgary". Right now he works at some small shitty firm.

Now before we get into a huge "lawl big4 sucks, everyone knows its easier to work in industry". That is besides the point, this guy was hell bent on getting in with the big4. People say the recruiter just tipped off his friends at the other firms. Who knows, or he just was a moron at all the interviews.

Oh yeah, and my practice interview with Deloitte - they said they throw out applicants with 4.0's.

Back to engineering: My friend won't say it, but I think this is the case with him/her. Him/Her has a 3.9 from a high profile Canadian School in engineering. Intern/Co-Op'd at many high profile US electronics companies including a major one that probably has a part in your computer at the moment. She/He says the recession is to blame as why he never got any call backs or offers from them. Knowing this person, it's because he/she is very unsociable to an extreme degree.

Type_S1
12-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by magicalpoop

There's a true story of a recent UofC accountant grad, he was 3.8+ Gpa material.

Although he made the mistake of barging into an E&Y (one of the major multi-national Accounting firms in Calgary; the Big 4) interview and making some sort of scene from what I heard.

Anyways, the E&Y recruiter told him "good luck finding a job with the big4 here in Calgary". Right now he works at some small shitty firm.

Now before we get into a huge "lawl big4 sucks, everyone knows its easier to work in industry". That is besides the point, this guy was hell bent on getting in with the big4. People say the recruiter just tipped off his friends at the other firms. Who knows, or he just was a moron at all the interviews.

Oh yeah, and my practice interview with Deloitte - they said they throw out applicants with 4.0's.

Back to engineering: My friend won't say it, but I think this is the case with him/her. Him/Her has a 3.9 from a high profile Canadian School in engineering. Intern/Co-Op'd at many high profile US electronics companies including a major one that probably has a part in your computer at the moment. She/He says the recession is to blame as why he never got any call backs or offers from them. Knowing this person, it's because he/she is very unsociable to an extreme degree.

Once again...nothing to do with his grades...it was his personality. But at first his gpa made him stand out

Ebon
12-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by magicalpoop

Don't believe everything they tell you. That throwing out 4.0s is total bullshit, they just know that it is an easy thing to say since the vast major of students don't have it and most don't stay at those firms. They roll out the carpet for the ones that do. All this is straight from the mouth of a partner at one of the big 4 accounting firms in town.

I can think of at least one kid that fits that profile who got a big 4 internship in second year (without prior experience) and wasn't even an accounting major.

There are obvious exceptions if they are assholes but at that point it is theirs to lose. Keep in mind though that the accounting firms hire dozens every year, I've tossed resumes for far more arbitrary and minor reasons than GPA in finance, where the jobs available in a given year could be in the single digits across all firms.

turbotrip
12-13-2011, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Ebon

Don't believe everything they tell you. That throwing out 4.0s is total bullshit, they just know its an easy thing to say since the vast major of students don't have it and most don't stay at those firms. They roll out the carpet for the ones that do. All this is straight from the mouth of a partner at one of the big 4 accounting firms in town.

I know that 2 of the big 4 hire 4.0gpa's for sure, as does shell. But accounting is very different from engineering in that sense.

[Yu]
12-13-2011, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Man you are missing out on a lot of good people if you are focusing only on that. I know a lot of people with social issues and a 4.0 but I also know of many people who dont fit that mold.

- One of my friends from HS is a super nice guy, very sociable (not one person doesnt like him), was a world champion in jr curling, and graduated with a very high GPA in geology. He now works at Shell.

- One guy graduated with a 4.0 in Mech Engg from my HS. He is super chill and was a football quarterback. His brother and dad played in the CFL so he has lots of stories.

- I graduated with a 3.93. I can get along with people fairly well and feel like I have made some good successes in my career so far.

- My lab partner (who is also on beyond) is a guy everyone who meets him likes and he beat me a bit in the grades (fucker).

I didnt miss that you said you focus on social discussions in the interview but I have the feeling you screen based on that as well. Personally if you leave off your GPA (as a first time grad) on your resume I assume you did shitty. Once you hit the 2 or 3 year mark I dont really care anymore.

I have also interviewed and hire people. A few beyonders have met with me for jobs and some actually work with us now. Although I dont have a ton of experience I have 5 or 6 screening, interview, hires under my belt now.

Wtf.... we are we agreeing with each other? :D

Also FYI Chrome/Firefox has spellcheck. Not hating just saying. Looks bad when trying to talk about stuff like this.

No offence Cos, but you graduated quite a long time ago. If I believe, during the economic boom, I believe I had a mechanics class with you but I was in a lower grade (no stalker). Thu I say that it was probably an easy time to find a job, and if you listed anything I bet you would get hired.

I hate to discredit other educational institutes, but having friends that go from Uni to SAIT, Uni to BCIT, GMac to UofA, MRC to UofC. Most of them agree that the level of difficulty was a lot less in those other non-research based schools. Many of them wish they could enjoy the difficulty of those schools while staying in Uni.

I am not discrediting your education nor am I discrediting the school, but to compare your 3.93 to another Uni student doing a degree like Engineering, I would say is wrong. Like I said, from what I saw of you in High School, you were an outgoing kind of guy, and I believe strongly that is the main reason for your success, not the number you list on your resume.

Cos
12-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by [Yu]

No offence Cos, but you graduated quite a long time ago. If I believe, during the economic boom, I believe I had a mechanics class with you but I was in a lower grade (no stalker). Thu I say that it was probably an easy time to find a job, and if you listed anything I bet you would get hired.

I hate to discredit other educational institutes, but having friends that go from Uni to SAIT, Uni to BCIT, GMac to UofA, MRC to UofC. Most of them agree that the level of difficulty was a lot less in those other non-research based schools. Many of them wish they could enjoy the difficulty of those schools while staying in Uni.

I am not discrediting your education nor am I discrediting the school, but to compare your 3.93 to another Uni student doing a degree like Engineering, I would say is wrong. Like I said, from what I saw of you in High School, you were an outgoing kind of guy, and I believe strongly that is the main reason for your success, not the number you list on your resume.

Lol stalker ;)

That is true that I did graduate at near the peak of the boom, however most of the other examples I used were people who went to the UofC and hence graduated years later (some in 2008/2009). Perhaps me and my lab partner are not the best examples (because of the reasons you listed). Also the Engg and Geo who I was talking about are very outgoing people as well.

I do believe that your personality sells you for the position but there HAS to be a way to get through the door. You cant see my personality through an 8.5x11" piece of paper so you do need to sell it somehow. I will agree that getting a job through contacts, the resume is typically a formality.

I still think that my other examples are relevant and my experience of hiring people. Not saying I am right 100% but just throwing in my $0.02.

edit: Quite a long time ago makes me feel old... asshat :D. Were you in one of the Mechanics classes I TA'd? With Mr. Horne maybe?