PDA

View Full Version : cyclists on campus

Nissan162
12-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Is it just me or is anyone else sick and tired of being nearly run down by cyclists on the u of c campus? As I am standing ankle deep in snow (after I jumped out of the way of these sidewalk manics), I notice that these cyclists don't even have a bell (A CITY BY-LAW!). For some odd reason it seems that by-laws do not apply to these students! With that logic I should start a grow operation in the EEEL building, and maybe I will slap a 3" straight pipe on my S/C VR6 and rip around the campus, and see how many noise violations I can wrack up. In all seriousness though ( Of course I would not do either of those things, I said them to make a point) I am just tired of cyclists ripping past me with out warning me ahead of time. I figure since it is a city of Calgary by-law to have a bell, then it should also apply to the bikes used to commute to and across campus.

Does anyone else feel this way or am I just being a grumpy old man?

J

Boat
12-07-2011, 10:26 AM
In 4.5 years at the u of c, I've never had an issue. :dunno:

98type_r
12-07-2011, 10:31 AM
The bylaw only applies to city pathways and since the campus is private property it doesn't apply/they can't enforce it. It's a douche move though what they're doing, probably the same guys who don't stop for stop signs and red lights.

colinxx235
12-07-2011, 10:48 AM
If you're that angry why don't you just throw up an accidental well timed elbow...? ;)

Grogador
12-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Walk softy, carry a big stick or cane, stick it in their spokes :thumbsup: Or just don't get out of the way, it is a sidewalk after all...

arian_ma
12-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Cyclists can drive me nuts sometimes, they just seem to not belong anywhere. They annoy everyone when they ride around on the sidewalk, and they can make you suicidal if you are following one on the roads.

Hallowed_point
12-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Use bells or say "on your right" etc instead of being little trust fund d bags :thumbsdow

colinxx235
12-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Use bells or say "on your right" etc instead of being little trust fund d bags :thumbsdow

why would a trust fund d bag be riding a bike....?

I parked 15 feet from CCIT for my whole uni
:poosie:

Type_S1
12-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

aha ya trust fund kids are more of dbags....they double park and take up more space then they are supposed to in parking lots with their mommies cars! That's a different issue though.

I can honestly say I can't even remember ever seeing a bike rider on U of C campus my whole time I've been there. But if they sped past me being dbags I would definitely throw up an elbow saying oooops...how am I supposed to know your their...I don't mind him having a cracked skull to prove a point it would be kind of funny. :clap:

megavolt
12-07-2011, 12:51 PM
I ride to work downtown every day and I have mixed feelings about ringing my bell when passing people.

If I have enough room on a double wide pathway I won't ring my bell because most pedestrians seem to act like a scared rabbit when I ring it and usually move in front of me when they're turning about to find out what the scary noise was.

But on a narrow sidewalk I always ring my bell, slow down and wait for them to acknowledge me and make a space (sometimes takes a couple of rings).

So on a sidewalk at the U, they should definately have bells (not mumble 'passing on the right').

Hallowed_point
12-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

Why? well because a lot of them like to "pretend" that they aren't little rich spoiled brats. Ooo I'm an artist with my ghey toque that I wear in the summer and my plaid shirt hand made by steve aoki. I ride a bike to school to act poor and then drive my dads x5 when none of my other friends can see me :rofl: Anyway - tangent!!

Moonracer
12-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Nissan162
Is it just me or is anyone else sick and tired of being nearly run down by cyclists on the u of c campus? As I am standing ankle deep in snow (after I jumped out of the way of these sidewalk manics), I notice that these cyclists don't even have a bell (A CITY BY-LAW!). For some odd reason it seems that by-laws do not apply to these students! With that logic I should start a grow operation in the EEEL building, and maybe I will slap a 3" straight pipe on my S/C VR6 and rip around the campus, and see how many noise violations I can wrack up. In all seriousness though ( Of course I would not do either of those things, I said them to make a point) I am just tired of cyclists ripping past me with out warning me ahead of time. I figure since it is a city of Calgary by-law to have a bell, then it should also apply to the bikes used to commute to and across campus.

Does anyone else feel this way or am I just being a grumpy old man?

J

Kennyredline......is that you? :rofl: sorry that was low I know.

WithTheLightsOn
12-08-2011, 04:05 AM
first world problems.

Sugarphreak
12-08-2011, 08:33 AM

magicalpoop
12-10-2011, 02:50 PM
who the hell in their right mind is riding a bike in december? I don't care if u got studded tires, when the snow is that deep...ur screwed. Yes I know the ROAD is melted, but on campus , some areas are pretty bad.

As for the bell, yah alot of em are fucking douche bags.
This even happens on the track that I run on, idiotic people on their bikes dont ring their bells.
They then speed by and do a nasty pass + turn around and give me some dirty look.

:thumbsdow

Assholes.

MyMan23
12-13-2011, 10:55 PM
So far as I know its against Calgary bylaws to ride on the side walk unless your 14 or younger.

I am older than that and sometimes I ride the sidewalk on my bike. But if I come up on a pedestrian, I get the hell off the side walk and give them a wide berth.