PDA

View Full Version : Heart rate while exercising

laser05
12-10-2011, 02:33 AM
Hey everyone,

I am 22 years old with a resting heart rate of around 57-60 bpm, depending on when I take it. I workout 5 days a week consisting of mainly free weights. (high weight, low reps)

I just started getting back into cardio and noticed today while on the elliptical it read "warning. high heart rate" which was around 180. I was working quite hard but did not feel near my max.

I decided to match the guy next to me as far as speed/resistance goes and my heart rate read 170, while his was 140.

So is this something I should be concerned about?

My stats, incase it matters:

5'8'' 160lbs with good strength.
I eat healthy too.

edit, just realized this should have been in health and fitness. my bad.

93VR6
12-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Obviously everyone is different, but here's my 2 cents.

I know the exact feeling you're going through, I can shoot my heart rate up to 180+ in the first 5-10 minutes of being on the bike and I don't feel that tired, but it's not a pace I can keep for 30 minutes, just tone it down a bit overall and go for a little longer. Being 22, assuming no prior heart ailments, you should be fine working out as hard as you damn well please.

Are you taking any stimulants pre-workout like caffeine?

laser05
12-10-2011, 11:43 AM
No, I'm not taking any stimulants/supplements at all other then some whey protein during the day.

I guess I was just concerned to see it so high compared to the guy next to me.

I'll see if I can get it to lower over the next few months by doing cardio more often.

Thanks for you input.