PDA

View Full Version : Workplace Training Rules

firebane
12-11-2011, 10:59 AM
My employer needs me to have H2S but tells me that it is on my own time.

Now I have to pay for he course as well as take it on my accord.

Legally are they allowed to do this? Or can I receive compensation?

jwslam
12-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I thought you should have it before they hired you.

And if they hire you and tell you to have it after, they should pay for it? :dunno:

firebane
12-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Part of the agreement to being hired was that if I didn't have it I would have to get it and it would be on my own time.

roll_over
12-11-2011, 11:18 AM
do you have the job? if i had the job and they made me take it i would ask for four hours of overtime and them to cover the cost.

if it takes more then four hours to finish i would ask for more the four hours is foe the overtime call in

make sure you beat probabtion because they can just can you for no good reason if you still havent keep that in mind

Mibz
12-11-2011, 11:22 AM
EDIT: Neeeeevermind

AE92_TreunoSC
12-11-2011, 11:25 AM
If its a prerequisite for the job they don't have to pay for it.

Also if you agree to something generally you don't turn around and post a useless fucking thread about it.

Get it and move on with your life.

Rat Fink
12-11-2011, 12:21 PM

firebane
12-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Holy hostility was just asking a simple question.

dj_rice
12-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Holy hostility was just asking a simple question.

Not a simple question. Use common sense next time stupid. You even posted this yourself and you have to ask?

Part of the agreement to being hired was that if I didn't have it I would have to get it and it would be on my own time.

If you really have to ask, I don't think you have much upstairs to do any job. I think Wal-Mart is hiring people to take out garbage

Rat Fink
12-11-2011, 02:13 PM

roll_over
12-11-2011, 02:26 PM
people at gas stations take h2s

stop making puppies

Seth1968
12-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by roll_over
people at gas stations take h2s

stop making puppies

:clap:

93VR6
12-11-2011, 03:55 PM
I can't believe people like you can actually get jobs! I know people who work hard day in day out don't bitch end up getting laid off due to circumstances out of their control and then take shitty jobs to just to get by, while looking for something better. Here you are bitching about a 1 day course that costs $110 for a job that I bet pays 3x that in a day!

Where do these lazy, entitled, little bitches come from!?

BlackArcher101
12-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Your employer probably has had enough of paying for courses for others and then watching them walk out the door.

I can't believe you even have to ask after posting that it was part of your pre-employment agreement. :facepalm:

M.alex
12-11-2011, 08:21 PM
ITT: OP probably just barely eeked through high school :facepalm:

CompletelyNumb
12-11-2011, 08:46 PM

lolwut :banghead:

:drama:

Team_Mclaren
12-11-2011, 09:00 PM
did you take food 30 in highschool? I think its a pre-requisite for h2s

Ven
12-11-2011, 09:23 PM
My employer needs me to have H2S but tells me that it is on my own time.

Now I have to pay for he course as well as take it on my accord.

Legally are they allowed to do this? Or can I receive compensation?

It's a requirement of being hired there, it's all up to you man.

M.alex
12-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
did you take food 30 in highschool? I think its a pre-requisite for h2s

I hope not; I took home-ec and got food poisoning from the fruit cake we made :(

brucebanner
12-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
EDIT: Neeeeevermind

:facepalm:

Ven
12-11-2011, 09:28 PM

nm

jsn
12-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I paid for it myself and went on my own time to take it. It's a 150 dollars. That's less than a days work out there. Suck it up.

msommers
12-11-2011, 11:16 PM
I've needed to take first-aid before at a couple jobs and they covered the cost and my time for taking it. If you've been working there already and then they tell you it is required, I would really suggest the employer takes care of everything.

Being self-employed, I had to take H2S and first-aid on my own time and at my own cost (obviously). If the job requires it, again both your cost and time. Once you've attained the position and there isn't any fine print, the company should be covering everything.

Mibz
12-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by bruceod
:facepalm: What? I made fun of him then decided not to be an ass.

supaj87GTS
12-18-2011, 01:33 AM
Your Employers responsibilities are to do everything reasonable to protect the health and safety of their employees. As far as the OHS Legislation and code says.

Their responsibility is to ensure workers have the skills and training needed to do their jobs in a healthy and safe manner.

So legally the have absolutely no obligation to pay for this training. But they do have a legal obligation to have properly competent/trained employees working in the scope of their work sites.

:thumbsup: It sucks that they are not compensating you for this training but nice to see they are enforcing this regardless!

my 2 cents

J-hop
12-18-2011, 05:45 PM

By your logic I should be trying to charge my employer for my degree, after all part of the agreement was I had to obtain my degree on my own time...

Just count yourself lucky it is just one day and $150 out of your pocket. I think it's good you potential employer does this, it will weed out those of you who aren't serious about working for them.

03ozwhip
12-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by 93VR6

Where do these lazy, entitled, little bitches come from!?

kids born in the 90s IMO. no structure or discipline and always want something for nothing. i wish i was your boss kid lol

we all see/hear about these entitled little pricks, more so on Beyond itself. its no wonder alot of people dont show up to meets and cruises, they dont want to be emabarrassed by the rest of us lol

firebane
12-18-2011, 06:16 PM
1) I wasn't born in the 90s

2) I don't feel I'm entitled to anything as I work hard for what I have.

3) The reasoning to the question was a matter of legislation as I couldn't find anything on it and I know this employer liked to be cheap about things.

Team_Mclaren
12-18-2011, 06:24 PM

3) The reasoning to the question was a matter of legislation as I couldn't find anything on it and I know this employer liked to be cheap about things.

I dont think its the employer, its just you.

FraserB
12-18-2011, 07:01 PM
You agreed that if they hired you, that you would get the training on your dime and time. Now that you are hired, you are trying to go back on your agreement.

In short, you're a bitch.

roll_over
12-18-2011, 07:08 PM
so bane did you finish the h2s? or are you still just dog fucking just wondering if they paid you back for it or what.

brucebanner
12-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
What? I made fun of him then decided not to be an ass.

I wasn't trying to seem like I was disagreeing, I was merely agreeing that it wasn't worth the time to make fun..

Have to be more clear with the emoticons next time I guess.

Mibz
12-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by bruceod

I wasn't trying to seem like I was disagreeing, I was merely agreeing that it wasn't worth the time to make fun..

Have to be more clear with the emoticons next time I guess. Yeah, whole lotta confusion from both sides I guess :P