PDA

View Full Version : Warmest Socks

flipstah
12-11-2011, 11:33 PM
What are the warmest socks you have? I need more and recommendations would be nice. Some of the MEC wool-blends I've tried are le lame.

EG6boi
12-12-2011, 03:25 AM
+1, I rock converses and they are cold as shit for winter. :facepalm:

ExtraSlow
12-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Marks has some T-Max Heat socks that should be pretty warm. Although, the socks themselves can't make up for a poor shoe choice.

ffmf
12-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Have heard that Smart Wool are the warmest. Apparently the Costco Kirkland wool socks are rebranded Smart Wool socks. They're cheap and pretty warm. I bet the heavy weight Smart Wool socks would be really warm.

Otherwise I look for the battery heated socks or use those feet warmers and put them in your shoes.

flipstah
12-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Marks has some T-Max Heat socks that should be pretty warm. Although, the socks themselves can't make up for a poor shoe choice.

T-Max Heat socks eh? Must check it out. :)

Originally posted by ffmf
Have heard that Smart Wool are the warmest. Apparently the Costco Kirkland wool socks are rebranded Smart Wool socks. They're cheap and pretty warm. I bet the heavy weight Smart Wool socks would be really warm.

Otherwise I look for the battery heated socks or use those feet warmers and put them in your shoes.

Smart Wool is awesome! Toasty with the right boots but warm enough for sneakers, Converse, etc.

However, it doesn't last that long and it's expensive! I used a pair as a layer on top of regular ankle socks every other day with another pair in rotation; only lasted 2 winter seasons. :(

ExtraSlow
12-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Smart Wool is awesome! Toasty with the right boots but warm enough for sneakers, Converse, etc.

However, it doesn't last that long and it's expensive! I used a pair as a layer on top of regular ankle socks every other day with another pair in rotation; only lasted 2 winter seasons. :(
What is that, about 100 wears? To me, that's pretty good durability.

flipstah
12-12-2011, 11:03 AM

What is that, about 100 wears? To me, that's pretty good durability.

If it's a 5-month winter period (Nov-Mar) that's ~150 days.

x2 seasons = 300 wears

...Huh.

When you do the math, I guess they did last a while lol.

I need more suggestions though!

TunerF1
12-12-2011, 01:14 PM

I have these and they are AWESOME. A pair of hiking boots and these socks and i am set all day no matter what the temp is and they are so comfortable!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

flipstah
12-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by TunerF1

I have these and they are AWESOME. A pair of hiking boots and these socks and i am set all day no matter what the temp is and they are so comfortable!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Another endorsement for these puppies! I will definitely check them out!

http://www2.marks.com/ProductDetails.asp?categoryID=5&productID=46

Now, should these be treated as a layering item or can I wear them solo to get the effect?

TunerF1
12-12-2011, 02:16 PM
I wear them on their own. They do get warm so i wear a lighter boot so they dont get sweaty. I had my dog out in the snow all day yesterday and i had a simple set of hiking boots (non winter) and never once did my feel get cold. I think they were 10$/pair and are WELL worth it. If my feet get cold in the house i just put these on and 5 mins later theyre nice and warm. If you take the Marks online survey you get a coupon as well for a purchase over a certain amount. Saved me 10$ so the socks were free.

lauphman
12-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Can someone recommend a good pair of winter shoes that don't look like hiking boots?

flipstah
12-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by lauphman
Can someone recommend a good pair of winter shoes that don't look like hiking boots?

Are you a fan of Oxford shoes? If so...

http://www.littleburgundyshoes.com/ca-eng/men/boots/product/85843241-rodger/97

Oxford boots! :thumbsup:

Also, these Timberlands look mighty nice.

http://www.littleburgundyshoes.com/ca-eng/men/boots/product/69022363-guidlovius/97

r3ccOs
12-12-2011, 03:17 PM
I bought some BOSS, A/X, SuperDRY, Energie and Audigier socks and they are awesome but don't keep my feet warm

what other brand out there will keep my feet warm?

p.s. yes those Kirkland Merino wool socks are awesome, way cheaper than Smartwool, and I use them for backpacking
Wool is anti-bacterial, keeps the smell out and wicks sweat pretty well

Not much better on the market... you can always wear a liner sock as well...

Tik-Tok
12-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Although, the socks themselves can't make up for a poor shoe choice.

:werd:

Although, the opposite can also be said. Boots themselves can't make up for poor choice of socks. OP, have you looked into heated socks, or insoles?

flipstah
12-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

:werd:

Although, the opposite can also be said. Boots themselves can't make up for poor choice of socks. OP, have you looked into heated socks, or insoles?

I've used those socks that comes with the heating patch (HeatMax?) and they're alright but I'd like other options, if possible.

project240
12-12-2011, 05:41 PM
I just bought a few pairs of these after someone else recommended them. So far I've found them to be very warm and comfortable and best of all, they have a LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!

Who has ever heard of socks having a lifetime warranty... I know I sure haven't.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Lifetime-Guarantee-Hunting-Socks-for-Men-1-Pair/product/34713/59194

They are $15/pair in Calgary.

K3RMiTdot
12-13-2011, 02:18 AM
i need to get some of the tmax, i work outside all day and my shoes i have to wear are thin as shit

Sugarphreak
12-15-2011, 10:33 AM

Adrenaline101
12-16-2011, 03:56 PM
I have some really nice Lorpen's and happyfoot's. If you're looking for warmth without bulk your best bet is any of the Merino Wool socks. Make sure to look at that its made from. the more polyester the worse.
Marks has a good selection, so does atmosphere, wholesale sports.
Marks also has the t-max rechargable socks, gloves, sweater,boots.

K3RMiTdot
12-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Wool is the best imo, even if you get them a tad wet they still keep you fairly warm, compared tot he tmax, once they wet, you fucked

Masked Bandit
12-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Merino wool is the key. I can't say I know much about brand A versus brand B but I have yet to be unhappy with a merino wool product.

project240
12-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Merino wool is the key.

Yep. The Redhead socks I linked to earlier are 82% Merino and the most "cushiony" socks I've ever worn. Haven't really had an actual cold day to try them out with yet.

flipstah
12-18-2011, 02:33 AM
So the more merino wool content, the better? When I went to the Eddie Bauer store, the saleslady told me, the more acrylic, the better... Although the pairs I bought WERE a merino wool-blend. So soft. :love:

89s1
12-18-2011, 11:01 AM

this right here, i can wear no socks at all and stay toasty warm in my -100 boots :P

Jasons97tj
12-31-2011, 01:26 PM
The thick, blue Helly Hansen socks is what I wear all winter long in just normal work boots. I hardly ever wear my winter work boots because the HH socks and boots are good enough. I haven't even had to use those yet this year because it's been so warm though. I have a bunch of driwear socks from Marks too that are fackin awesome if it's cold, but not that cold too. Keeps the moisture away from your feet!

flipstah
01-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Just got the T-Max Heat socks and it's like stepping on babies! Lol so soft.

calgarys_finest
01-08-2012, 12:59 PM
I didnt like the T-max socks. I work contruction outside and they were warm buy not comfy. My go to pair on cold days is a combo of both a skechers sock for the inner and a stanfields wool for the outer. They are both really comfy and super warm.

ZMan2k2
01-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by project240
I just bought a few pairs of these after someone else recommended them. So far I've found them to be very warm and comfortable and best of all, they have a LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!

Who has ever heard of socks having a lifetime warranty... I know I sure haven't.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Lifetime-Guarantee-Hunting-Socks-for-Men-1-Pair/product/34713/59194

They are $15/pair in Calgary.

I'll vouch for these. I work outdoors, walking from house to house, driving a truck, in and out all day. By far the RedHead socks from BassPro have been the warmest I've had. Better than a wool sock/liner sock combo. I haven't had to test the lifetime warranty yet. 5 pairs ->two winters and still going strong.

me_dennis
01-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by lauphman

i got these boots for christmas. I never thought that I'd own a pair of uggs, but these are amazing and don't look like uggs. I've gotten compliments from guys who worked at source snowboards, and they were blown away that they were uggs
http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaff_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-UGG-CA-Site/Sites-masterCatalogUgg/en_CA/v1327010321153/images/large/3240-CRDV_2.jpg