PDA

View Full Version : Louis CK (Comedy): Live at the beacon theatre

v2kai
12-12-2011, 12:22 AM
https://buy.louisck.net/

Thought this was pretty cool how he chose to do this. His stuff on youtube has been pretty funny.

To those who might wish to "torrent" this video: look, I don't really get the whole "torrent" thing. I don't know enough about it to judge either way. But I'd just like you to consider this: I made this video extremely easy to use against well-informed advice. I was told that it would be easier to torrent the way I made it, but I chose to do it this way anyway, because I want it to be easy for people to watch and enjoy this video in any way they want without "corporate" restrictions.

Please bear in mind that I am not a company or a corporation. I'm just some guy. I paid for the production and posting of this video with my own money. I would like to be able to post more material to the fans in this way, which makes it cheaper for the buyer and more pleasant for me. So, please help me keep this being a good idea. I can't stop you from torrenting; all I can do is politely ask you to pay your five little dollars, enjoy the video, and let other people find it in the same way.

Sincerely,
Louis C.K.

Example of some of his humor for those that dont know him.

8r1CZTLk-Gk
166L3cE3zyk

+$5 from me. Well spent :rofl:

pf0sh0
12-12-2011, 12:58 AM
Louis CK is hilarious! thats all

CMW403
12-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Watched this last night and it was fucking gold

adidas
12-14-2011, 12:54 AM
http://fullepisode.info/louis-ck-live-at-the-beacon-theater-2011/

Disoblige
12-14-2011, 07:48 AM
+$5.

One of my favorites and I support this guy.

I just hope he'll come do a show in Calgary.

JordanEG6
12-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Downloaded this last night. Haven't watched it yet, but based on his previous 3 recorded shows, this one should be quite entertaining. One of my favourite comedians.

ArjayAquino
12-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Best five bucks you'll spend for sure. Ordered it on saturday.

ArjayAquino
12-14-2011, 10:03 AM
oh and here's an update on how well his experiment worked

https://buy.louisck.net/statement (http://)

01RedDX
12-14-2011, 10:47 AM

v2kai
12-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by ArjayAquino
oh and here's an update on how well his experiment worked

https://buy.louisck.net/statement (http://)

that is awesome. here's the statement for those who are lazy

Statement from Louis C.K. (December 13, 2011) People of Earth (minus the ones who don't give a shit about this): it's been amazing to conduct this experiment with you. The experiment was: if I put out a brand new standup special at a drastically low price ($5) and make it as easy as possible to buy, download and enjoy, free of any restrictions, will everyone just go and steal it? Will they pay for it? And how much money can be made by an individual in this manner? It's been 4 days. A lot of people are asking me how it's going. I've been hesitant to share the actual figures, because there's power in exclusive ownership of information. What I didn't expect when I started this was that people would not only take part in this experiment, they would be invested in it and it would be important to them. It's been amazing to see people in large numbers advocating this idea. So I think it's only fair that you get to know the results. Also, it's just really cool and fun and I'm dying to tell everybody. I told my Mom, I told three friends, and that wasn't nearly enough. So here it is. First of all, this was a premium video production, shot with six cameras over two performances at the Beacon Theater, which is a high-priced elite Manhattan venue. I directed this video myself and the production of the video cost around $170,000. (This was largely paid for by the tickets bought by the audiences at both shows). The material in the video was developed over months on the road and has never been seen on my show (LOUIE) or on any other special. The risks were thus: every new generation of material I create is my income, it's like a farmer's annual crop. The time and effort on my part was far more than if I'd done it with a big company. If I'd done it with a big company, I would have a guarantee of a sizable fee, as opposed to this way, where I'm actually investing my own money. The development of the website, which needed to be a very robust, reliable and carefully constructed website, was around $32,000. We worked for a number of weeks poring over the site to make sure every detail would give buyers a simple, optimal and humane experience for buying the video. I edited the video around the clock for the weeks between the show and the launch. The show went on sale at noon on Saturday, December 10th. 12 hours later, we had over 50,000 purchases and had earned $250,000, breaking even on the cost of production and website. As of Today, we've sold over 110,000 copies for a total of over $500,000. Minus some money for PayPal charges etc, I have a profit around $200,000 (after taxes $75.58). This is less than I would have been paid by a large company to simply perform the show and let them sell it to you, but they would have charged you about $20 for the video. They would have given you an encrypted and regionally restricted video of limited value, and they would have owned your private information for their own use. They would have withheld international availability indefinitely. This way, you only paid $5, you can use the video any way you want, and you can watch it in Dublin, whatever the city is in Belgium, or Dubai. I got paid nice, and I still own the video (as do you). You never have to join anything, and you never have to hear from us again. I really hope people keep buying it a lot, so I can have shitloads of money, but at this point I think we can safely say that the experiment really worked. If anybody stole it, it wasn't many of you. Pretty much everybody bought it. And so now we all get to know that about people and stuff. I'm really glad I put this out here this way and I'll certainly do it again. If the trend continues with sales on this video, my goal is that i can reach the point where when I sell anything, be it videos, CDs or tickets to my tours, I'll do it here and I'll continue to follow the model of keeping my price as far down as possible, not overmarketing to you, keeping as few people between you and me as possible in the transaction. (Of course i reserve the right to go back on all of this and sign a massive deal with a company that pays me fat coin and charges you straight up the ass.). (This is you: yes Louie. And we'll all enjoy torrenting that content. You fat sweaty dolt). I probably sound kind of crazy right now. It's been a really fun and intense few days. This video was paid for by people who bought tickets, and then bought by people who wanted to see that same show. I got to do exactly the show I wanted, and exactly the show you wanted. I also got an education. And everything i learned are things i was happy to learn. I learned that people are interested in what happens and shit (i didn't go to college) I learned that money can be a lot of things. It can be something that is hoarded, fought over, protected, stolen and withheld. Or it can be like an energy, fueled by the desire, will, creative interest, need to laugh, of large groups of people. And it can be shuffled and pushed around and pooled together to fuel a common interest, jokes about garbage, penises and parenthood. I want to thank Blair Breard who produced this video and produces my series LOUIE, and I want to thank Caspar and Giles at Version Industries, who created the website. I hope with all of my heart that I stay funny. Otherwise this all goes to hell. Please have a safe and happy holiday, and thank you again for all this crazy shit. Sincerely, Louis C.K.

n1zm0
12-14-2011, 12:35 PM
yeah his iama was pretty good the other day, i bought it and my gf and i had tears coming out, best experiment ever

CanmoreOrLess
12-14-2011, 12:47 PM
demonoid.me has had the show downloaded so far 9257 times, as of a minute ago. There is another $46,285 that slipped through Louie's pockets since December 10th.

I paid for the download from the official website, worth noting the coins that fall off the table just from one torrent site in a few days time.

He could have done a cookie cutter of the cash/download process at the Radiohead website, saving himself at least $25,000 and booked a lesser named hall saving at least another $60,000. Squeezing 100K in savings from the experiment would not have been difficult. I appreciate what he has attempted and doubt he will do it a second time. Just easier to show up on time, grab the mic, do the show, cheque in hand... leave.

dandia89
12-14-2011, 01:31 PM
i support the guy 100%. he puts so much effort into his show, doing all the production work through his laptop. he also dumps his jokes after he's done them and creates new ones right away. this guy is a hard working comedian and i respect him. people like him and dane cook work their ass off to make themselves successful and it shows, and it makes them all more admirable knowing they didn't just coast their way into industry.

CanmoreOrLess
12-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by dandia89
i support the guy 100%. he puts so much effort into his show, doing all the production work through his laptop. he also dumps his jokes after he's done them and creates new ones right away. this guy is a hard working comedian and i respect him. people like him and dane cook work their ass off to make themselves successful and it shows, and it makes them all more admirable knowing they didn't just coast their way into industry.

Louie is a master for sure. Find this special from 2010 if you can, it really explains the craft of being a comedian and how hard it is to succeed:

Y3Ar57R8OvQ

JordanEG6
12-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
demonoid.me has had the show downloaded so far 9257 times, as of a minute ago. There is another $46,285 that slipped through Louie's pockets since December 10th.

I paid for the download from the official website, worth noting the coins that fall off the table just from one torrent site in a few days time.

He could have done a cookie cutter of the cash/download process at the Radiohead website, saving himself at least $25,000 and booked a lesser named hall saving at least another $60,000. Squeezing 100K in savings from the experiment would not have been difficult. I appreciate what he has attempted and doubt he will do it a second time. Just easier to show up on time, grab the mic, do the show, cheque in hand... leave.

True, but I admire his work ethic and tireless effort to produce something he's passionate about from start to finish. Goes to show, he isn't in it for the money (at least not totally).

I also appreciate the fact that he did the show himself and put in the work to save his fans money. Instead of buying a DVD $20. Most people would be quick to download the torrent, but $5 through Paypal, why not. Anyone who downloads this torrent is either a cheap bastard or doesn't appreciate his comedy.

Find this special from 2010 if you can, it really explains the craft of being a comedian and how hard it is to succeed:

Is this Louis CK: Hilarious? I've seen it as well, it's exactly that...hilarious haha.

n1zm0
12-14-2011, 01:50 PM
i just read that he doesn't get paid for his tv show Louie, that was the sacrifice he had to make to get the rights to do the editing himself, not handing in a script pre-filming and everything.

i guess what FX gives him as a budget per episode goes directly into what is needed to shoot the episode and that's pretty much it.

sputnik
12-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by dandia89
people like him and dane cook

Do NOT lump that douchebag in the same league as Louis CK.

Dane Cook hasn't come up with anything funny or original for several years now.

dandia89
12-14-2011, 02:29 PM

Louie is a master for sure. Find this special from 2010 if you can, it really explains the craft of being a comedian and how hard it is to succeed:

this looks amazing, i need to find this!!

Originally posted by sputnik

Dane Cook hasn't come up with anything funny or original for several years now.

i am not talking about the quality of comedy, because that is completely subjective.

the guy put a ton of effort in putting his name online and spreading the word. he used to respond to every email of his fans and spent so much time creating a huge fan base. if you can't respect how the guy became famous... i don't even know what to say.

sabad66
12-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Am I the only one that thinks he is NOT funny? I've seen a lot of his stuff since everyone loves raving about him these days, but seriously I don't think I laughed once during the first half hour of this one. I do like the whole $5 download idea though, so good on him for that. He also did an IAMA on reddit yesterday in case anyone is interested.

Zephyr
12-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Dane Cook hasn't come up with anything funny.

FTFY

I gave Louis CK my $5, because he's funny and at least I know that all proceeds go to him, the creator. I wish more comedians, artists, etc anyone that creates digital entertainment content would do this.

v2kai
12-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr

FTFY

I gave Louis CK my $5, because he's funny and at least I know that all proceeds go to him, the creator. I wish more comedians, artists, etc anyone that creates digital entertainment content would do this.

exactly. I hope this starts to open up this method of distribution for others to see it is viable.

JordanEG6
12-14-2011, 06:42 PM
"Lucky Louie" was pretty funny too. But "Louie" trumped this one, due to its very dry and awkward comedy. Still funny though.

gCG8JwSfKyk

01RedDX
12-14-2011, 09:24 PM

dandia89
12-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

I would normally agree 100% but ironically, his appearance on Louie improved my opinion of him.

They addressed some of the major issues and accusations, like Cook plagiarizing CK, and basically squashed their beef on Louie's show, which was really cool.

Still agree with you though.

I think it's amazing that louis ck dealt with that situation in the best possible way. he was like 'yeah fuck it may be true, but i'm not gonna harass him about it. let his conscious deal with it'.