PDA

View Full Version : My challenge to Beyond members

Kloubek
12-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Hi guys,

We're getting close to Christmas, and for many people this means a heightened sense of giving and kind will for others. However, besides giving gifts to loved ones, many don't really go above and beyond... even during the holidays.

Last night a friend of mine provided an opportunity for my wife and I to help out feeding the homeless. And let me tell you - I'm so glad I went. The individual coordinating the whole thing was totally uptight and stressed - which made it all the more amusing.

This was a totally heartwarming experience and we intend to do it at least quarterly now. It is so easy to view the homeless as "those people", but spending time with them and helping them out teaches you so much. The sincere thanks you get (from some), and the act of giving while getting absolutely nothing in return cannot be described in words.

http://www3.telus.net/public/kloubek/dinner.jpg

So anyway, my challenge to each and every one of you reading this is to do something that is outside your normal comfort zone for the needy. This doesn't have to mean feeding the homeless... it can even be something as simply as shovelling your old neighbor's driveway for her. It could be donating $10 to the Salvation Army if you've never done so before. But personally, I really like doing what I did last night because you are able to help so many people in a fairly short timeframe and you're up close and personal with the individuals you're helping.

And if you feel comfortable, feel free to share what you did and your experience here, so perhaps that will both encourage others to participate in good will, and might even give some people ideas on how to help out.

ExtraSlow
12-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Excellent Idea, The Mustard Seed, Inn from the cold, and the Drop In Centre are all places where you can volunteer for that kind of activity.

PD77
12-12-2011, 11:01 AM
My family has been involved in the Stephen's Backpacks Society for a few years now and it's a fantastic experience, especially for my children. This year we will actually be handing out the backpacks on Christmas Eve which I am really looking forward to.

Great post Kloubek.

Modelexis
12-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Some broke asshole helped himself to my GPS and a pair of shoes in my trunk last night, you're welcome!

LadyLuck
12-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis
Some broke asshole helped himself to my GPS and a pair of shoes in my trunk last night, you're welcome!

Shocking...that is so not like you to respond in such a manner.

:poosie:

Zewind
12-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Giving blood on friday :thumbsup:

hurrdurr
12-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Volunteered Christmas eve at the mustard seed last year, and going to be feeding peeps on Christmas Eve this year.

Honestly, I don't like doing it, but it's nice to pay it forward sometimes.

Type_S1
12-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Helping people is good and all...but I suggest you help people that deserve it.

Most of these people put themselves in this situation through drugs or alcohol which I refuse to even
show compassion for a person like this.

Why don't you help out people that deserve it...like at the Ronald Mcdonald House? The homeless shelter is nothing but a government handout to lazy ass people who don't deserve it :thumbsup:

Seth1968
12-12-2011, 11:56 AM
No offense to anyone, but it seems to me that most "homeless" people are homeless due to their own choices.

Ya I know, I know, "they have addictions", but that doesn't negate my point.

Before you think I'm some heartless prick, I DO donate to those that have no choice; IE charities for kids.

03ozwhip
12-12-2011, 12:04 PM
when i was a kid, i was super poor. when i was 14 years old, my mom must have signed us up for some christmas donation thing, i dont know what it was but i got a sweet ass pair of Nikes.

when i went to school after christmas wearing them like a boss, one of the kids there said in front of everyone "i recognize those shoes, my mom donated them to a poor family, you must be part of the poor family." everyone laughed.

made me feel like a huge piece of shit and never wanted to feeel that way again and told my mom not to do it again.

thats my sad story lol im older now and realize it was just kids not really understanding the issue, either way though, i really appreciated it and always said i wanted to do it for some family some day when i can but i wouldnt know where to begin.

any ideas?

Seth1968
12-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Helping people is good and all...but I suggest you help people that deserve it.

Most of these people put themselves in this situation through drugs or alcohol which I refuse to even
show compassion for a person like this.

Why don't you help out people that deserve it...like at the Ronald Mcdonald House? The homeless shelter is nothing but a government handout to lazy ass people who don't deserve it :thumbsup:

This.

Have you seen that fucking stupid commercial where the lady walks out of a building only to be stopped by "strung out" homeless people?

I'm fucking sick and tired of being made to feel guilty, and paying for drug addicts and alcoholics.

Kloubek
12-12-2011, 12:07 PM
ok - I'm only going to say this once and I hope people appreciate and respect it as to not derail the thread.

I too felt to some degree that some of the homeless didn't deserve our help. In fact, I pretty much felt this way up until last night - which is why I selected this to go outside my own comfort zone. Many got there due to drug/alcohol abuse - no doubt. But what I found when I was there is that many of these people are simply down on their luck and are not (in my opinion) likely to be homeless forever. There are also others who obviously have mental issues and are really not fit for work.

Yes, there are some just taking a handout. Any time people offer something for free there will always be those who abuse the system. There were two guys there who were texting on their cell phones the whole time. I'm like... really?!! But to paint all the homeless with such a broad brush is close minded and, quite frankly, somewhat ignorant. Don't think the homeless are simply comprised of the drunk natives you see hanging out in the park; there is far more to it than that.

With this said, I ask that people don't derail this thread by berating others for their choices on where to help out. I was pm'd by someone who felt that the Salvation Army was not a good charity either - but I'm happy he expressed his views in a PM. If you want to discuss politics - please do so elsewhere.

It doesn't matter. Helping out is helping out - regardless of whether others agree with it or not. If you don't want to help the homeless, then don't. If you disagree with the Salvation Army, then pass them by in the malls. Kids' groups are already a good place to start. Hope about donating to a charity which is trying to find a cure for a loved one you lost? Just pick something that is close to your own heart... listen to the overall message of this thread, and apply it where you deem worthy.

tirebob
12-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Hi guys,

We're getting close to Christmas, and for many people this means a heightened sense of giving and kind will for others. However, besides giving gifts to loved ones, many don't really go above and beyond... even during the holidays.

Last night a friend of mine provided an opportunity for my wife and I to help out feeding the homeless. And let me tell you - I'm so glad I went. The individual coordinating the whole thing was totally uptight and stressed - which made it all the more amusing.

This was a totally heartwarming experience and we intend to do it at least quarterly now. It is so easy to view the homeless as "those people", but spending time with them and helping them out teaches you so much. The sincere thanks you get (from some), and the act of giving while getting absolutely nothing in return cannot be described in words.

http://www3.telus.net/public/kloubek/dinner.jpg

So anyway, my challenge to each and every one of you reading this is to do something that is outside your normal comfort zone for the needy. This doesn't have to mean feeding the homeless... it can even be something as simply as shovelling your old neighbor's driveway for her. It could be donating $10 to the Salvation Army if you've never done so before. But personally, I really like doing what I did last night because you are able to help so many people in a fairly short timeframe and you're up close and personal with the individuals you're helping.

And if you feel comfortable, feel free to share what you did and your experience here, so perhaps that will both encourage others to participate in good will, and might even give some people ideas on how to help out.

Good for you bro! Much respect to you...

I truly hope the haters never end up in a bad spot themselves...

ExtraSlow
12-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Guys, if you don't like the OP's choice of charity, that's your own business. Go help someone else then.

The Food Bank is a good one, most people who use the food bank use it for less than a month and then never use it again.

Volunteer to drive a chemo patient to thier treatments, you can call the Tom Baker Cancer Centre for that.

Don't focus on the negative here, go out there and lend a hand to someone. It'll change your life.

mo_money2supe
12-12-2011, 12:25 PM
My wife and I along with a few friends volunteered at the Operation Christmas Child sorting centre last week. We all loved it! Very well organized operation. And I'm pretty sure most of the kids receiving these shoeboxes did not choose to be in that life situation. Watching their faces on videos always brings a smile to my face! :)

What really changed our hearts though, was when we helped out at a food bank operation out of a local Church in Bowness. Speaking with some of the people there you really get a sense that homelessness isn't their problem - nor lack of work for that matter. It's that they don't know how to get out of the rut they found themselves stuck in. Had some pretty entertaining conversations there. I truly encourage everyone out there to just have a small chat with some less fortunate people than you. It'll really change your outlook on life. :thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
12-12-2011, 12:39 PM

LadyLuck
12-12-2011, 12:51 PM
We host a dinner for the Creative Community Living folks TONIGHT at SAIT every year. Its an event that's been organized by our GM for the last 12 years. There's approximately 50 seniors that are bussed to the campus, most of them have a mental disability and have no family left...the only people close to them are their care takers.

We host a big turkey dinner for them, as most don't even get that throughout the holidays. Each one of them receives a gift from us that most don't open until Christmas day. All of our staff volunteers for this event, and we have a great time doing it...one of those things you look forward to each year that's for sure.

Happy Holidays!

:thumbsup:

adidas
12-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Would anyone be up for a beyond group volunteer session at the mustard seed/drop in center?

It would be nice to go during the xmas break from school.

Cos
12-12-2011, 01:25 PM
We adopt a family each year. We always give food or food gift certificates.

jdmXSI
12-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
when i was a kid, i was super poor. when i was 14 years old, my mom must have signed us up for some christmas donation thing, i dont know what it was but i got a sweet ass pair of Nikes.

when i went to school after christmas wearing them like a boss, one of the kids there said in front of everyone "i recognize those shoes, my mom donated them to a poor family, you must be part of the poor family." everyone laughed.

made me feel like a huge piece of shit and never wanted to feeel that way again and told my mom not to do it again.

thats my sad story lol im older now and realize it was just kids not really understanding the issue, either way though, i really appreciated it and always said i wanted to do it for some family some day when i can but i wouldnt know where to begin.

any ideas?

I was in the same vote when i was a kid. I still remember getting this shitty 13 channel tv shere you had to get up and literally turn the channel, lol. IIRC that was through the YWCA.

I know MINI Crowfoot has an annual stuff a MINI campaign where all the toys get donated to the YWCA.

picmerollin
12-12-2011, 01:45 PM
I hosted a Christmas party (ugly sweater competition) and requested everyone bring a food back donation - hauled in ~ 100 lbs of non perishables. The idea was very well received by our guests.

Freeskier
12-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Well said Kloubek. People definitely don't understand the issues behind homelessness and addiction and write the less fortunate off as drunks who just need to get a job.

I'll accept your challenge. Just got off the phone with a lifeguard friend of mine, gonna go volunteer with a program that teaches swimming to mentally handicapped kids from low income homes.

Hakkola
12-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by adidas
Would anyone be up for a beyond group volunteer session at the mustard seed/drop in center?

It would be nice to go during the xmas break from school.

I've never done anything like that but I've thought about it, I might be down.

gts_gurl
12-12-2011, 02:18 PM
My family has adopted families in the past for Christmas, and it turned out to be a scam - the family was no way in need of anything, just used it as an easy way to get free stuff.

So this year, I researched and researched until I found a legit agency that actually screens their families and are in fact, people in need. This was the only place I found that you could buy and wrap presents from "Santa", as well as get them gift cards for groceries, which I love because it seems so much more personal.

I had my parents, a few of my parent's neighbours, work and my boyfriend and I all adopt a different family. Drop off is this Thursday, and I'm pretty excited that 6 families will have Christmas this year.

This was the agency if anyone is interested.
http://necaafs.com/programs/christmas.asp

Ven
12-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Usually the wife and I give work boots, or work jackets to guys who are making progress at the Drop In Centre.

I have a friend who's worked at the DI for years and get a lot of information about it from him. There's a lot of people on here who could use a dose of reality as to why people can get into those situations. Get out of your comfort zone, help, learn.

Kritafo
12-12-2011, 03:04 PM
My family and I give all year long. My husband's step-brother is mentally and physically handicap. He is one step away from the homeless shelter, and was lucky to get into a building near Chinook Centre through a city program. Someone took advantage of him and left him nearly nothing in an apt they shared. He is on AISH, but I can say he barely gets by it's hard. He doesn't really work well with others and has anger issues which prevents him from being employeed long. But honestly they government just cuts back on his disability as soon as he earns. Through my BIL I have met a number of street characters he is friends with. Through kijiji, freecycle and our own pocket we pickup buy, deliver items that he needs himself and others are in need of. My BIL is giving to a fault. If one of his friends moves into a Rent Controlled building he will give his furniture knowing I will do everything in my power to get him more. I often laugh when I read stories on here about the homeless or people begging for change wondering if it's someone I know or even my BIL. He just gifted nearly all his pots and pans to a friend just starting out I am on the hunt for pots and pans if anyone is getting new ones for Christmas. ;) I try to not spend too much money on items as so many people throw away. We try to keep the money aside for new coats and boots and shoes and things he would never normally buy for himself because of the cost. Congrats to everyone for trying to make a difference it is an important life lesson for our children and for our peers. Being aware of others that go without. Listen to their stories, they are incredible.

CUG
12-12-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm editing papers for some first years...

Guillermo
12-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by CUG
I'm editing papers for some first years...

wow dude, that's just cruel, especially at this time of year :rofl:

austic
12-12-2011, 03:32 PM
I helped organize a casual dress week at work for my department. gathered $1000 in donations that is going to the Children's Cottage Society.

SlickA70
12-13-2011, 11:42 AM
I've basically sold everyone in that photo a phone lol.

Its been a while since I did some sort of charity, might be good to start up again.

Mar
12-13-2011, 12:14 PM
I would love to do something like this, was it a special Christmas meal or just ordinary? Do I just go in there and ask how I can help?

LollerBrader
12-13-2011, 01:56 PM

So anyway, my challenge to each and every one of you reading this is to do something that is outside your normal comfort zone for the needy.

What a wonderful "challenge". I will take you up on it and look for the opportunity to do a good deed that I may not normally.

Kudos, Kloubek.

Kloubek
12-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I would love to do something like this, was it a special Christmas meal or just ordinary? Do I just go in there and ask how I can help?

This particular dinner was put on via a woman who lost her husband - and it was his dream to sponsor a meal like this. It was 50/50 her and her family, and the parrish. (I will add that I am not at all religous - but it didn't have a bearing on my willingness to help)

It was certainly Christmas themed - but may just have been the time of year. My understanding is that they offer meals regularly. I'm sure if you contact St. Mary's parrish that they will be happy to have you help out some time soon.

Mar
12-13-2011, 04:56 PM
It was certainly Christmas themed - but may just have been the time of year. My understanding is that they offer meals regularly. I'm sure if you contact St. Mary's parrish that they will be happy to have you help out some time soon.
So do I ask the parish or the homeless centre?

We should have a mega thread where people post their random good deeds. If a good deed gets enough positive response, user rating is offered as a reward.

HyperZell
12-13-2011, 05:21 PM
What might be a good idea, for next year, is a Beyond charity drive. We could, as a group, either collect food or money or maybe even pick a day and all go to an organization like Operation Christmas Child and help out. It would be great exposure for the community and a chance for us to get together. Plus, when you have friends doing the same thing, you're more likely to contribute...I think it could be a big thing. What are your thoughts, guys?

Artega
12-13-2011, 06:04 PM
I am running a marathon and raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada. I have a personal connection with Leukemia and I want to channel my efforts to help those struggling with blood cancer.

We each have something we strongly believes and I think it's great for the OP to raise awareness and challenge this community to do better.

Shameless plug:

If you know anyone who has been afflicted with Blood Cancer or you wants to show your support to those who are fighting to find a cure, please give generously to the link below. Your donation will go to help researchers and support staff to help families who are battling Leukemia, Lymphoma and other blood cancers.

Kloubek
12-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Mar

So do I ask the parish or the homeless centre?

We should have a mega thread where people post their random good deeds. If a good deed gets enough positive response, user rating is offered as a reward.

Contact the Parrish. I don't think it is a homeless centre, per sec.

I did my good deed. Do I get a user increase even though I spent no money except for gas to get there? Come on Kenny/Rage... hook a brother up.

Originally posted by HyperZell
What might be a good idea, for next year, is a Beyond charity drive. We could, as a group, either collect food or money or maybe even pick a day and all go to an organization like Operation Christmas Child and help out. It would be great exposure for the community and a chance for us to get together. Plus, when you have friends doing the same thing, you're more likely to contribute...I think it could be a big thing. What are your thoughts, guys?

I think this is a great idea - and really hope our members would support it. Of course, you'll get people saying that other charities are more worthy - but which one we attend could be voted on.

mugensix
12-13-2011, 07:13 PM
a fellow co-worker and i donated a combined $500 dollars in cash, 2 NDS's and a bunch of clothing/misc toys to the Adopt a family. The children had the NDS'S on the list and i figure even though i dont celebrate Christmas, its for a good cause!

jdmXSI
12-18-2011, 11:05 PM
On Friday I helped stuff 3 MINI's with over $5000 greatfully donated by Crowfoot Sport Check which will be going to the Sherif King Home and the YWCA. I don't think that would have been possible if Kool 101.5 didnt have the airtime and the continous contributions from the MINI Club of Calgary. Here a couple pics:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/jdm_xsi/8ec2fcac.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/jdm_xsi/896054b7.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/jdm_xsi/dde247c0.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/jdm_xsi/0aad76aa.jpg

On a side note, every pay cheque I've been buying some "warm" clothes With the intention to give them to homeless people. Does anyone have any recommendations where or to whom I should give them to?

JRSC00LUDE
12-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis

His parents likely never spanked him as a child.

Nice thread Kloubek, you're a better man than I. :thumbsup:

bigbadboss101
12-18-2011, 11:20 PM
WE have serve at the Mustard Seed, Drop In Centre, and the Food Bank. At the Seed a group can go in and prepare/cook a meal and serve to the visitors/residents. At the Drop In Centre one can prepare sandwiches among other things.

All are for a good cause and the staff and users appreciate it.

adam c
12-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Donated a bunch of stuff to the Adopt a Family

CompletelyNumb
12-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Bought a pizza for the lone protester at Occupy Moncton.