PDA

View Full Version : It's cold

sexualbanana
01-28-2004, 03:18 AM
With the temperature being so cold, anyone else notice their oil temperature going down when you're stopped at a light?

theken
01-28-2004, 03:26 AM
nope

GTS Jeff
01-28-2004, 04:09 AM
u have an oil temp gauge?

EG STyLeZ
01-28-2004, 04:33 AM
Yeah I noticed this happen today. It went back up right after the light though.

Akagi Redsuns
01-28-2004, 08:31 AM
My coolant guage tanks when I am a light and if the heater is on aggressively. When we get going it's back up again.....then the hydralics on the clutch gets all slow and gooey. *sigh*. When is the warm air coming? Who would have thought that a all alumium small displacement fuel effecient engine would suck so bad in the winter? :)

jdmakkord
01-28-2004, 08:36 AM
Ummm just a bit cold, I just had to jack up my moms car and swap a flat....on the side of 14st!!!! Goddamn, I'm surprised I can type right now!!!:banghead:

speedracer
01-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
With the temperature being so cold, anyone else notice their oil temperature going down when you're stopped at a light?

You mean engine temp?

But yes, oil temperature fluctuates.

Ajay
01-28-2004, 11:24 AM
I don't have an oil gauge in my car.....my engine temp gauge stays pretty much at the same spot when I'm driving in this or when I'm stopped.

Only thing that sucks is my clutch...get's all nasty and 'gooey' as Akagi put it. Need another chinook and BADLY

sexualbanana
01-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by speedracer

You mean engine temp?

But yes, oil temperature fluctuates.

Um. . . . Yes. Oops.

88CRX
01-28-2004, 12:16 PM
I've given up even trying to drive in this.... not worth the wear and tear on the car.

yesterday coming home from school it didnt sound that nice on starting it up.... and then the clutch and shifter was so stiff :thumbsdow cant be good.

Brendan_4g63
01-28-2004, 12:27 PM
You got a crappy tire thermostat? I had one, and it did that. Try a Honda one.
Or try putting a sheet of cardbord covering half of your rad, it'll run warmer.

Brendan

maximus
01-28-2004, 03:58 PM
My oil temp dosn't fluctuate. At most like 2 degreesC but generally slowly warms up the longer I drive.

Engine temp fluctuates; usually drops as I drive due to the cold air entering the engine bay and rad.

Thing that pissed me off today was the tranny and the 'gooey' clutch as mentioned above!

EK 2.0
01-28-2004, 04:03 PM
I need the warm air so I can wash my car its filthy...I didnt really bother washing it during the chinook we just had and now I am paying the rpice with a dirty ride...

hjr
01-28-2004, 07:41 PM
my oil temp seems to stay the same once it gets warmed up. the coolant (engine) temperature is the same, i dont notice any fluctuations. I have and air conditioning condencer that blocks quite a bit of air to the rad though, but at least it warms up quickly.

3G
01-28-2004, 07:43 PM
When the temperature dropped, my clutch started slipping :thumbsdow

That.Guy.S30
01-29-2004, 12:10 AM
you think thats bad.. my car sounds like a v8 when i start the thing in the morning..

GorG
01-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Yea my temp decrecesed at the long lights on tuesday, it was -55 outside my house :barf:, how long did your guy's cars take to heat up or get into the driveable temperature?

Akagi Redsuns
01-29-2004, 01:27 AM
To get the needle from being buried under the 1st tick of C to the first tick was about 7 minutes this morning in -30C. Small displacement all alumium fuel economy engine though. After that it was slow climb to the middle of the gauge....of course having the heat almost full blast didn't help....but hey I had to keep warm! :) Oh yeah, the car was plugged in as well.

civicrider
01-29-2004, 01:37 AM
my cars engine temp wont go above the first tick above C until i start driving, and when i go on the highway all the cool air comming in brings it down as low as it can go, its so anoying always freezing my ass of in my car.

Zero102
01-29-2004, 02:08 AM
Lol I win.
German cars aren't made for this shit.
With both a lower rad hose heater, and an oil pan heater, mine takes about 10-15 mins before it even hits the low temp mark. But that's okay, because it takes 25 mins for the transmission to defrost. I am seriously considering putting 5W30 instead of 75W90 in there!
However, once it's driving, it heats up enough for the cooling fans to come on.
Even when you stop, the temp does not come down unless the fans come on, but if they do, jeez, watch that needle fall.
Despite all the bad german engineering, they had one great idea, then ran a coolant hose across the exhaust manifold, a.k.a. nearly-instant heat =)

For what it's worth, your car shouldn't cool down at a light unless there is wind.
However, if your thermostat is sticky, or if it's just REALLY cold, it will cool down as you drive.

CRXguy
01-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
you think thats bad.. my car sounds like a v8 when i start the thing in the morning..

Also sounds like it's gonna break down or something! :(

DJ Lazy
01-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Ummm just a bit cold, I just had to jack up my moms car and swap a flat....on the side of 14st!!!! Goddamn, I'm surprised I can type right now!!!:banghead:

I pray that this never happens to me.. I love the winter, but changin a tire in this tempurature is not cool... especially on 14th st... :thumbsdow

Moe Man
01-29-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by maximus
My oil temp dosn't fluctuate. At most like 2 degreesC but generally slowly warms up the longer I drive.

Engine temp fluctuates; usually drops as I drive due to the cold air entering the engine bay and rad.

Thing that pissed me off today was the tranny and the 'gooey' clutch as mentioned above!

that is the same with me....if i turn the heat full blast it will never hit the normal temp mark.once i was driveing for about 1h staight and when i got home i opened my hood and put my hand right on the block and it was probaly like +30 it never burnt my hand or anything :guns: