PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Laptop by Air Canada Employee

300rwhp
12-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Some of you may remember a previous post detailing how my laptop was left on an Air Canada flight. This laptop had Prey tracking software installed and 3 weeks after it was lost it began reporting that it was in the Surrey Area. With the help of Prey and some beyond members it was determined that the person in possession of my laptop was an employee of Air Canada. Unfortunately the thief was notified that the Police and this forum were investigating his actions. He subsequently disposed of the laptop and prey stopped sending reports. At which point the Police lost their "hard" evidence and concluded their investigation.

After contacting Air Canada they sent me a cheque for the full purchase price of the laptop. I do not know what has happened to the employee as it is confidential between his employer and himself. So I would like to say thank to Air Canada and more importantly those Beyond members that helped me.

Again Thank you to the beyond.ca detectives

Zephyr
12-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Project Prey :thumbsup:

-relk-
12-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Beyond always prevails

A790
12-12-2011, 05:09 PM
DFWB.

Don't fuck with beyond. Catching car thieves, fraudsters, scammers, thugs, thieves, and other lowlifes since 2002.

Kritafo
12-12-2011, 05:10 PM
wow I couldn't even get air Canada to fix a piece of luggage they destroyed!

962 kid
12-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by -relk-
Beyond always prevails

http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/95/853cfe0df9f2935bbc6916c2bd904c4a/l.jpg

spacerz
12-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by A790

QFT!

Guillermo
12-12-2011, 05:56 PM
i'm sorry OP, but I still feel like it's your own fault for leaving it on the plane in the first place - now, the rest of us are essentially paying for your mistake through increased airfare. I know it's a drop in the bucket, but it's the principle i'm talking about here.

I left a fitted minnesota twins hat on a plane in heathrow once, i should have went crying about it to the airline i guess.

JustinMCS
12-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
i'm sorry OP, but I still feel like it's your own fault for leaving it on the plane in the first place - now, the rest of us are essentially paying for your mistake through increased airfare. I know it's a drop in the bucket, but it's the principle i'm talking about here.

I left a fitted minnesota twins hat on a plane in heathrow once, i should have went crying about it to the airline i guess.

But of ALL people to pick up the laptop, IE Air Canada employee, it should have been returned to the rightful owner because they represent the company.

Aside from the employee, anyone else with good morals would have returned the laptop.

TomcoPDR
12-12-2011, 06:11 PM

Haha the devils advocate lol. Got a point or sure, but good on op an air canada

Cos
12-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Glad it worked out. I wonder who tipped him off though.

yellowsnow
12-12-2011, 06:21 PM
i'm sorry OP, but I still feel like it's your own fault for leaving it on the plane in the first place - now, the rest of us are essentially paying for your mistake through increased airfare.

Air Canada is one of the most expensive airlines in the world with regards to airport taxes, and fuel surcharges. If I have an option I'll avoid AC. Guess this is where part of it goes

Canmorite
12-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by 300rwhp
Surrey

Oh Surrey :rofl:

Kloubek
12-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Good on Air Canada for doing the right thing.

revelations
12-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Prey owns ...

rx7boi
12-12-2011, 07:09 PM

He got reimbursed for his laptop.

You got dick all.

Who came out on top? Enjoy your throne.

J-hop
12-12-2011, 07:14 PM

you have a point, but I would argue it is the AC employee who is the one responsible for "the rest of us paying increased airfare" NOT the OP. Wouldn't have taken any man power to drop the laptop off with security or whoever handles lost items at an airport, instead the employee decided to waste AC and other's resources by stealing the laptop.

I don't think it is fair to compare your hat to a computer, not only the cost difference but I know I have priceless info on my laptop that I wouldn't want anyone getting a hold of so you have to factor that in, a hat is just a hat.

Plus if you are the type of person who leaves the size sticker on your fitted hat then you deserved to lose it anyways :rofl:

TaiChino
12-12-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm glad everything worked out.

I'm curious how you found out it was an AC employee?

project240
12-12-2011, 07:45 PM

Oh Fuck Off. He accidentally leaves his laptop on an airplane, an airline employee steals it, OP tracks down his laptop and you whine and bitch about it and compare it to leaving a hat on a plane? Seriously, are you an idiot? :rofl:

I say good on you OP. Glad it worked out for you.

GQBalla
12-12-2011, 07:51 PM
fantastic news!

Khyron
12-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Thread detailing the quest?

Disoblige
12-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Awesome to hear :thumbsup:

Merritt
12-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Nice, congrats man.

Supa Dexta
12-13-2011, 02:19 AM
I once had a laptop - in its bag, surrounded by clothing inside a sturdy suitcase and those bastards managed to crack the screen! It easily had 6" of padding on every side of it.. :guns:

M.alex
12-13-2011, 02:22 AM
OP is an asshole for causing Air Canada to raise ticket prices :drama:

msommers
12-13-2011, 02:47 AM

On my plane back from London, someone left a bag from Harrod's by the exit terminal. We all got notified of it before we departed. Some lady went screaming out of the plane to grab it :rofl: An employee stealing the laptop was bullshit. Mistakes happen but honest people should help out.

Glad to hear Beyond was able to help out.

Maybelater
12-13-2011, 03:13 AM
It isn't OP who is at fault. It was the fucktard of an employee who instead of deciding to fulfill the duties of his job decided to keep lost property instead of reporting it.

No matter how you put it OP had his property stolen from an employee of Air Canada.

Idiot Stick
12-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by project240

Oh Fuck Off. He accidentally leaves his laptop on an airplane, an airline employee steals it, OP tracks down his laptop and you whine and bitch about it and compare it to leaving a hat on a plane? Seriously, are you an idiot? :rofl:

Thats what I was thinking. I'm not even that fucking retarded, and look at my screen name for fuck sakes.

Guillermo
12-13-2011, 09:52 AM
IMO the OP is an idiot for losing his laptop. yes, the employee should have returned it, but if you read AC webiste it clearly states that they are not responsible for items left on the plane. OP should not have forgotten it on the plane. instead of blaming himself (or his gf, or whatever), he instead goes blaming AC as if it is their fault he lost his laptop - and we all have to pay for his mistake in the long run.

you can continue to tell me to fuck off, or whatever, but that's the way I see it (which is no more or less valid than any of your opinions, i might add). i generally try not to hurl insults at people over the internet though, since I like to think i'm more mature than that.

if this was my kid and he lost something on the plane, I would try to teach him not to place the blame on others for what was really his own mistake. seriously. :rolleyes:

phreezee
12-13-2011, 10:05 AM
My wallet once fell out of my back pocket while unboarding and I realized what had happened when I was in the terminal. I had to wait for the plane to be cleaned and I eventually got my wallet back, of course all the cash was gone.

Cos
12-13-2011, 10:06 AM
IMO the OP is an idiot for losing his laptop. yes, the employee should have returned it, but if you read AC webiste it clearly states that they are not responsible for items left on the plane. OP should not have forgotten it on the plane. instead of blaming himself (or his gf, or whatever), he instead goes blaming AC as if it is their fault he lost his laptop - and we all have to pay for his mistake in the long run.

If he sat in 8A and guy in 9A stole it... then yeah it is the OP's loss. However it was an employee who stole it. What an employee or contractor does while working ultimately is the companies responsibility.

You are talking oranges we are talking apples.

A790
12-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Idiot Stick

Thats what I was thinking. I'm not even that fucking retarded, and look at my screen name for fuck sakes.
You'll notice a trend with Guillermo's posts...

darthVWader
12-13-2011, 10:33 AM

you can continue to tell me to fuck off

Fuck off

project240
12-13-2011, 10:36 AM
IMO the OP is an idiot for losing his laptop. yes, the employee should have returned it, but if you read AC webiste it clearly states that they are not responsible for items left on the plane.

So basically you're saying this makes it ok for the employee to steal his laptop? It's not like the OP randomly forgot it somewhere and just decided to blame AC. He got off a flight and realized he didn't have it. Doesn't take a genius to figure out he accidentally left it on the plane.

I realize AC can't control it if another passenger picked it up and walked out with it, but obviously that's not the case here.

What if a passenger left his/her medication on a plane and AC found it? They'd probably attempt to return it... same thing should have been done here.

You'll notice a trend with Guillermo's posts...

Very true.

Guillermo
12-13-2011, 10:53 AM
I am not saying it was right for the employee to steal the laptop - just that instead of blaming AC, the OP should blame himself for leaving it behind. AC did not sign a contract and was under no obligation to guard over this guys stuff that he left on the airplane. OP was lucky that AC was willing to reimburse him for the purchase price. Anyone flying with AC is now paying to replace the laptop that OP forgot on the airplane.

This is not a crazy or "retarded" opinion, and in fact, businesses everywhere have disclaimers saying e.g. "not responsible for lost items." This is even printed on the AC website (I looked).

so while you guys sit behind your computer and assume the beyond mob mentality (which generally entails the highbrow strategy of name-calling), i'll continue living according to real world norms. :D

R-Audi
12-13-2011, 10:57 AM
AC Employee=AC

AC EMPLOYEE=WRONG

ERGO

AC=WRONG

AC Took responsibility for its employee effing up. Good for them. While the lost items arent their responsibility, their employees ARE!

TaiChino
12-13-2011, 10:58 AM
I am not saying it was right for the employee to steal the laptop - just that instead of blaming AC, the OP should blame himself for leaving it behind. AC did not sign a contract and was under no obligation to guard over this guys stuff that he left on the airplane. OP was lucky that AC was willing to reimburse him for the purchase price. Anyone flying with AC is now paying to replace the laptop that OP forgot on the airplane.

This is not a crazy or "retarded" opinion, and in fact, businesses everywhere have disclaimers saying e.g. "not responsible for lost items." This is even printed on the AC website (I looked).

If the OP never found out who took his laptop and cut his losses, then yes, kick himself for leaving it behind. But the fact of the matter is, he DID find out who took it, so you are saying he should just sit back and do nothing?

If I'm walking around late at night and get mugged, yes maybe I shouldn't have been out at that time, but if the cops found the guy who did it should he not be held accountable? Obviously not because charging and booking him would cost all the taxpayers more money (not unlike airline costs) :facepalm:

Guillermo
12-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by TaiChino

If I'm walking around late at night and get mugged, yes maybe I shouldn't have been out at that time, but if the cops found the guy who did it should he not be held accountable? Obviously not because charging and booking him would cost all the taxpayers more money (not unlike airline costs) :facepalm:

but you can't mug yourself... can you?

project240
12-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
AC Employee=AC

AC EMPLOYEE=WRONG

ERGO

AC=WRONG

AC Took responsibility for its employee effing up. Good for them. While the lost items arent their responsibility, their employees ARE!

EXACTLY!

I'm working in someone's house and my employee steals something. I reimburse the homeowner and take responsibility for the guy I hired...

Oh wait, that's what Air Canada did. Makes sense

TaiChino
12-13-2011, 11:04 AM

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

He didn't steal his own laptop

Cos
12-13-2011, 11:05 AM

You missed the point. He didnt steal his own laptop.

A790
12-13-2011, 11:16 AM
so while you guys sit behind your computer and assume the beyond mob mentality (which generally entails the highbrow strategy of name-calling), i'll continue living according to real world norms. :D
What I've noticed about you is that you will almost ALWAYS take the opposite side of whichever the majority agrees on.

I don't know if you're trying to feel smarter than everyone, or if maybe you just love e-fighting or something, but that's what you do.

Now, the sad thing here is that you do make a point. Ultimately, the OP is responsible for leaving his laptop behind. But the real issue here, the one that you failed to even acknowledge until after numerous people called you out on it, is that the AC employee took it and then started using it. Hence, stolen. It wasn't placed in a lost and found, no effort was made to contact the owner... etc.

So, keep doing your thing. It obviously fills a need for you.

sh0ko
12-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Anyone flying with AC is now paying to replace the laptop that OP forgot on the airplane.

AC must be extra broke... and holys**.. those thousands of flying passengers must be forking out SO MUCH MONEY to replace this one laptop

DGill
12-13-2011, 11:32 AM

What I've noticed about you is that you will almost ALWAYS take the opposite side of whichever the majority agrees on.

I don't know if you're trying to feel smarter than everyone, or if maybe you just love e-fighting or something, but that's what you do.

Now, the sad thing here is that you do make a point. Ultimately, the OP is responsible for leaving his laptop behind. But the real issue here, the one that you failed to even acknowledge until after numerous people called you out on it, is that the AC employee took it and then started using it. Hence, stolen. It wasn't placed in a lost and found, no effort was made to contact the owner... etc.

This.

Ven
12-13-2011, 11:53 AM
The theoretical $0.0000001 it just cost me in my portion of ticket price to a) get back his laptop b) show a thief the door c) raise the level of awareness in their organization that we can and will corner you. It's totally worth it to me.

Anyway these kind of things are already budgeted for. Like the service equipment getting flat tires. Ticket prices won't go up if they get 20 extra flat tires in a year or not. Prices wouldn't even increase/decrease if they had 20 extra jet engine overhauls or not. The market sets the prices and they have to work within those constraints.

freshprince1
12-13-2011, 12:00 PM

...But the real issue here, the one that you failed to even acknowledge until after numerous people called you out on it, is that the AC employee took it and then started using it. Hence, stolen. It wasn't placed in a lost and found, no effort was made to contact the owner... etc.

You give me warm fuzzies.

Boat
12-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by TaiChino
I'm glad everything worked out.

I'm curious how you found out it was an AC employee?

Search previous thread.

Coles notes was that he had tracking software that came up with the persons name when they were doing something online.

Then fellow beyonders found a published AIR CANADA vacation schedule with the cultprits name on it.

Hope this helps!

TaiChino
12-13-2011, 12:18 PM
awesome thanks!

Guillermo
12-13-2011, 12:22 PM

another possibility is that i'm not part of the majority here, which seems to be 16-23 year old males from alberta who are auto enthusiasts. i could bring any of you into circles where your opinions would be in the minority. :dunno: i thought this was a discussion forum, do you not want me to express my opinions here? then you all can agree about climate change and your canadian perspective of US protests, etc. :rofl:

blitz
12-13-2011, 12:36 PM
So you leave your jacket in a movie theater, go to see if it's in the lost and found the next day, and the guy working customer service is wearing it.

You go to see the manager and when you both come back, the employee isn't wearing it and there's a melted pile of polyester beside him.

What should the manager do?

GQNammer
12-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Sounds like the case of, Founders keepers losers weepers?

R!zz0
12-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by 300rwhp
So I would like to say thank to Air Canada

Something you don't read everyday. A thank you to Air Canada :nut:

lilmira
12-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by blitz
So you leave your jacket in a movie theater, go to see if it's in the lost and found the next day, and the guy working customer service is wearing it.

You go to see the manager and when you both come back, the employee isn't wearing it and there's a melted pile of polyester beside him.

What should the manager do?

Uppercut?

Spoons
12-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Haha the devils advocate lol. Got a point or sure, but good on op an air canada

The Devil must be pretty damn stupid then I guess........

HyperZell
12-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

Uppercut?

I lol'ed.

Guillermo, it's not like you can't express your opinions, it's that yours seem to be exceeding the boundaries of common sense and good taste all of the time. The frequency and and consistency of "dumb" in your posts is atypical and frankly, quite alarming. Furthermore, you argue past the point of reason and seem very unwilling to concede points. In short, you post like a troll.

Seth1968
12-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Whomever stole the laptop is irrelevant.

AC's REAL position is, "Why do we have to pay for someone elses mistake?". The answer, "To avoid a public relations issue". That is, the OP contacting the media.

The argument that an employer is responsible for their employees actions is ludicrous. For example, you open a restaurant and one of your cooks loses it and kills another cook. Since you're "responsible" for the guy you hired to flip burgers, you're now going to prison for a crime you didn't commit.

CompletelyNumb
12-13-2011, 03:55 PM
What you are all failing to understand is that Guillermo is a scientist. He knows what he's talking about.

:nut:

:drama:

elite
12-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

AC's REAL position is, "Why do we have to pay for someone elses mistake?". The answer, "To avoid a public relations issue". That is, the OP contacting the media.

The argument that an employer is responsible for their employees actions is ludicrous. For example, you open a restaurant and one of your cooks loses it and kills another cook. Since you're "responsible" for the guy you hired to flip burgers, you're now going to prison for a crime you didn't commit.

I dont think you'd go to prison (charged criminally), but you are vicariously liable and can be sued civilly for damages for the actions or inaction of the employee. So you could potentially be on the hook to pay for damages (ie wages lost). Therer are tests that are conducted to prove this but I am no lawyer so I wouldn't be able to speak on the specifics. I could be wrong but I am just basing this off what I have learned in management law. I havent read the rest of the thread but Air Canada would be responsible for their employees actions or inactions (ie stealing the laptop) but only to a civil extent. They would just be sued along with the employee.

lilmira
12-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Because the employer is more likely be able to cover the damage than the individual. What's the point of suing a broke ass for damage? Is it fair? Not sure, but as an employer, you always have to be careful of who you hire.

Don't think the employer will be criminally charged, he/she would have to be totally ignorant to the extreme for that to happen.

gt2871r
12-13-2011, 10:34 PM

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=3827612#post3827612

Case in point.

ZorroAMG
12-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Oh guillermo....:rolleyes:

A couple thousand dollar item left by mistake, is the OP's fault but for you to sit there and PRETEND in your uber-delusional brain that it affects you one iota is laughable. Get off your high donkey, you look stupid sitting up there - even if you think the tights suit you.

"Fuck Off"

A790
12-14-2011, 12:08 AM

another possibility is that i'm not part of the majority here, which seems to be 16-23 year old males from alberta who are auto enthusiasts. i could bring any of you into circles where your opinions would be in the minority. :dunno: i thought this was a discussion forum, do you not want me to express my opinions here? then you all can agree about climate change and your canadian perspective of US protests, etc. :rofl:
You missed the point, which I don't really know why I'm surprised about to be honest.

D'z Nutz
12-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
What you are all failing to understand is that Guillermo is a scientist. He knows what he's talking about.

He's also a grad student (I think he even used the term "educator" once). Except in that case, failing is probably what happens to students that disagree with him and his views. Now that's scary.

msommers
12-14-2011, 03:20 AM
That's English profs :rofl:

J-hop
12-14-2011, 07:43 AM

So explain to me why a company isn't responsible for their employees actions??? Why would they do background checks, call references and evaluate you in an interview if none of you actions would ever be the responsibility of the company? So are you saying that if a delivery company comes to drop off your new fridge and a hungover, careless employee drops your fridge off the truck does that employee pay for a new fridge out of his own pocket? Nope. If a person is hired at a child education establishment and they molest a child would the authorities look into the establishment to ensure proper screening procedures were conducted? Of course they will, why? Because the establishment shares in taking responsibility for what happened.

Here is a great example. My gf works in real estate. Often times there are disputes between clients and realtors which in some cases can be as silly as an extra 20 sq ft listed in the for sale ad. In cases where the client sues the realtor even though it is just the realtor who works out of that office who is in question the owner of that real estate office is also sued and must appear in court. Thus the practice as a whole is responsible for one employees actions.

Each and every employee of a company not only represents the company but is also the company's responsibility.

Cos
12-14-2011, 08:55 AM

i could bring any of you into circles where your opinions would be in the minority. :dunno:

W.O.W. forums arent really my sort of thing. Thanks though.

wtf im nameless
12-14-2011, 09:09 AM
i could bring any of you into circles where your opinions would be in the minority

lol, maybe in your head but not in reality.

masoncgy
12-14-2011, 11:33 AM
I like to think i'm more mature than that.

Fail. You argue like a 5 year old kid, simply for the sake of arguing... it's not even trolling... it's serious business for you.

If you don't fit in, why are you here anyway? Seems pointless. You hate Albertans, you hate Calgary, you hate conservatives, etc, etc, etc.

TaiChino
12-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Cos

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kloubek
12-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Cos

:clap: :clap: :clap:

KrisYYC
12-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by yellowsnow

Air Canada is one of the most expensive airlines in the world with regards to airport taxes, and fuel surcharges. If I have an option I'll avoid AC. Guess this is where part of it goes

AC has no control over airport and government taxes on air travel.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Cos

:rofl: :rofl:

smartcar
12-15-2011, 11:53 PM
It's not in criminal matters, unless the law specifically states it. Your cook kills another cook you wouldn't go to prison for it, but if your cook dumps grease in the alley you'll likely get charged if they see it, even if your cook did it on his own initiative.

GQNammer
12-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Call me stupid, but everyone's rofling. Explain please!

Disoblige
12-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by GQNammer

Call me stupid, but everyone's rofling. Explain please!
What is W.O.W. ? (http://tinyurl.com/75rdg7t)

WithTheLightsOn
12-16-2011, 08:33 PM

you can continue to tell me to fuck off, or whatever, but that's the way I see it (which is no more or less valid than any of your opinions, i might add). i generally try not to hurl insults at people over the internet though, since I like to think i'm more mature than that.

if this was my kid and he lost something on the plane, I would try to teach him not to place the blame on others for what was really his own mistake. seriously. :rolleyes:
Same post...:rofl:

Trinzler
12-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Virgin > All airlines
Westjet > Aircanada local

tom_9109
12-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Its easy to forget something. When I flew home from Toronto there was a guy rushing off the plane as I got on. turned out he was in my seat and had left his macbook air in the magazine slot in the seat in front of him. He rushed off the plane when he realized it was the wrong flight (no idea how he got on). Gave it A/C staff and they rushed it to the guy on the right plane. Shit happens, you just hope that not everyone is a douche.

davidI
12-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Happy to hear AC sorted it out! I agree with the posters on here that had it been a non-employee, it probably shouldn't be AC responsibility, but in this case, it's great to see AC stepped it up. They're really not that terrible of an airline. They've done a great job as a company in my opinion, but still struggle from the nationalization days. They actually have one of the best services I've experienced - it's just the Unions that mess it up.

As someone who flies quite often, it's pretty easy to understand how things get left behind. Often you're up for 24-36 hours, changing time zones, worried about transfers / baggage / security, finding your way through the airports. I've forgot things and just given them up to the lucky schmuck who finds them, but if it was something more valuable, I would really hope it would be returned by a fellow customer and 100% expect it to be returned by an employee.