PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Philippines!

spikerS
12-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Hey Beyond!

Thought I would drop a line, and say hi from half way around the world, and share my experiences with you so far. I have to say, this place is absolutely amazing, so much so, I am debating buying some property here on the beach, it is so friggin cheap!

anyways, here is my blog, and I am trying to keep updating it, at least every second day.

http://chris-curry.blogspot.com/

if you want, feel free to follow it, no ads or anything so nothing too distracting.

anyways, cheers, and enjoy the read!

projekz
12-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Good evening! Post pics if you get a chance!:)

bourge73
12-13-2011, 09:18 AM
And get a damn woman! or 2. How are they there hot???

jampack
12-13-2011, 09:21 AM
I'll be there too..soon! Maybe see you there? Lol. Enjoy!

spikerS
12-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by projekz
Good evening! Post pics if you get a chance!:)

I have been trying, but the internet connection at the resort is really crappy, were you able to see the pics in the link I provided to the facebook gallery?

Originally posted by bourge73
And get a damn woman! or 2. How are they there hot???

yes, there are some incredibly hot girls here!

Originally posted by jampack
I'll be there too..soon! Maybe see you there? Lol. Enjoy!

When are you planning to be here?

C_Dave45
12-13-2011, 09:46 AM
COOL, Chris!!! What brought you down there? How long are you there for? Like...HOW crazy cheap is land? (wait....I'm going to your blog, might find some answers)
Any poker going on down there? lol

taemo
12-13-2011, 09:51 AM
have fun man!

you're the 3rd person that I know that is in the Philippines right now. hope you are staying there during Xmas and New Years, totally different experience than here in Canada.

are you staying at a resort or in manila?
hope you get to try authentic filipino food and street food over there

and don't forget to visit http://airforceone.thegentlemansclub.com.ph/ ;)

R!zz0
12-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Tito Rey?

Edit: Awesome blog though.

CLiVE
12-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by spikers
Hey Beyond!

I am debating buying some property here on the beach, it is so friggin cheap!

I believe only Filipino citizens can own land there. However foreigners can purchase condominiums, etc. or get a long-term land lease. :dunno:

C_Dave45
12-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Wow Chris...fantastic trip report (on your blog)!!!
Just read it from cover to cover...so far. Waiting for more. Great pictures too!! Really gives one a feel for what you're doing, where you are. I've never even given a thought to the Philippines as a vacation stay..now I'm rethinking that.
(oh, and all my questions from previous post, answered)
Read his blog people!!
Best if you start from the earliest post.

jampack
12-13-2011, 10:16 AM

When are you planning to be here?

I arrive there in the morning of Dec 30th! My fiancée and I are getting married there, our wedding is on January.

I think there's another beyonder in there right now too if I remember right! :)

Originally posted by C_Dave45
COOL, Chris!!! What brought you down there? How long are you there for? Like...HOW crazy cheap is land? (wait....I'm going to your blog, might find some answers)
Any poker going on down there? lol

There's a friend of ours trying to sell her land, by the beach at the NW side of Philippines. It's quite a land too. She supposed to show me some pictures later today. She said she got the land before (I'm not sure how long ago though) for about $40,000 CAD. :)

flipstah
12-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Light fireworks! Shit's legal there.

I miss Christmas in the Philippines. :(

taemo
12-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Light fireworks! Shit's legal there.

I miss Christmas in the Philippines. :(

werd, after 10 years I was able to celebrate NYE in the philippines last year
1KzyhyGnru8
9fVBeXyAJb4

oh yeah, Chris might be too big for this but enjoy commuting on a jeep or tricycle
EJK2agwCwt8

Kloubek
12-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Very cool man. Wear protection. (Cuz I know you're going to be able to work out some free tail if you want it...)

Ven
12-13-2011, 11:56 AM
If you find a chic the there with a stick shift don't be alarmed. It's just the performance model, go ahead and ride it like you stole it.

Kloubek
12-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Oh yeah.. be careful about that. Some of their boys are a little too pretty...

flipstah
12-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Oh yeah.. be careful about that. Some of their boys are a little too pretty...

Don't hate because we're beautiful, playboy. :rofl:

jav_
12-13-2011, 01:07 PM
I highly recommend not wasting your money on legal firecrackers...they are boring :D
get a hold of the ones like kabasi, bawang, and goodbye philippines. also get either 5000 or 10,000 rounds of sawa.
goodbye philippines was the best one you could get back when i went back for new years 3 years ago.

now they got this one called Bin Laden's Bomb:
3fg5DNp3TkU

enjoy new years! :angel:

flipstah
12-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by jav_
I highly recommend not wasting your money on legal firecrackers...they are boring :D
get a hold of the ones like kabasi, bawang, and goodbye philippines. also get either 5000 or 10,000 rounds of sawa.
goodbye philippines was the best one you could get back when i went back for new years 3 years ago.

now they got this one called Bin Laden's Bomb:
3fg5DNp3TkU

enjoy new years! :angel:

Those are fun but shit, you can lose a finger if it's made wrong!

Had too many close calls. I like having digits.

taemo
12-13-2011, 01:17 PM
^ holy crap that is awesome! :rofl:

anyone remember watching the news on Jan 1 and seeing all the blown hands and injuries afterwards. can't see that here in NA

nj2Type-S
12-13-2011, 01:20 PM
i wish i were there right now, man! celebrating the new year is so depressing in canada, LOL. enjoy your stay! :thumbsup:

spikerS
12-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Yeah. This place rocks. Just had an amazing breakfast! Longinisa, fried plantains, eggs, rice, and diced beef with fresh brewed coffee. I could so get used to this lol

flipstah
12-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Yeah. This place rocks. Just had an amazing breakfast! Longinisa, fried plantains, eggs, rice, and diced beef with fresh brewed coffee. I could so get used to this lol

Ask for a fresh cup of kape barako. That'll wake you the fuck up lol.

nj2Type-S
12-13-2011, 08:53 PM
tapsilog is my absolute favourite! mmmmmmm....

have you tried jollibee yet? there are some locations in the states; i've been to seattle, vegas, new york, daly city and san fran locations but nothing compares to the OG jollibee from back home. oh! and chow king!!!

Cowtown_Raider
12-13-2011, 10:24 PM

Glad you're enjoying it! I love it there. You look like you're about 6'4? Gotta get used to people staring. I'm half Filippino and felt like a spectacle everywhere we went (I'm a tad over 6' so I felt pretty tall!).

Making me crave Filippino food!

jampack
12-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
tapsilog is my absolute favourite! mmmmmmm....

have you tried jollibee yet? there are some locations in the states; i've been to seattle, vegas, new york, daly city and san fran locations but nothing compares to the OG jollibee from back home. oh! and chow king!!!

I had a dream about Jollibee a couple of days ago that it's here in Calgary few blocks from Bridlewood area!!!! lol :rofl:

nj2Type-S
12-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by jampack

I had a dream about Jollibee a couple of days ago that it's here in Calgary few blocks from Bridlewood area!!!! lol :rofl:

that's funny cuz i'm close to there, haha!

Hi-Psi
12-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Out of the 45+ countries I have been to thus far, the Philippines are one of my favorites! I could spend months there island hoping!

If you get a chance and you're in Manila, hit up a "Recipes" in Robinsons Mall. Order Generals Chicken and Gising Gising!

My advice though is to get out of the cities, stick to the smaller towns and the islands, they're a lot nicer and sooo relaxed!

Hi-Psi
12-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Oh and start drinking San Miguel Light, it's A LOT better than the regular San Miguel.

adam c
12-13-2011, 11:10 PM
san miguel is terrible, go for the red horse

i had jollibee in vegas and man their fried chicken is so freaking good

Hi-Psi
12-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Red Horse is terrible, it'll get you drunk though.

Also, Jollibee is awful, it's like a cheap, terrible tasting McDonalds.

Try a Yellow Cab Pizza while you're there, some of the best pizza in the Philippines!

adam c
12-14-2011, 12:33 AM
you're terrible

then again, i like strong tasting beers like red horse

taemo
12-14-2011, 01:26 AM
hey spikers, have you had the chance to have fresh pan de sal in the morning? best breakfast bread ever.
coffee is awesome there despite being instant coffee.
hopefully you'll get to eat some street food too like fishballs, kikiam, taho, balut, penoy, isaw, etc.
Oh and sisig, crispy pata are a must!

Originally posted by Hi-Psi
Oh and start drinking San Miguel Light, it's A LOT better than the regular San Miguel.
lager vs light lager but agree san migh light tastes better.
Gilbey's Premium beer was fantastic as well.
bucket(6) of san migh light is around 120php iirc?
which is about CAD$2.50?

even their shakeys and pizza huts are 10x better than here in Calgary

Originally posted by adam c
san miguel is terrible, go for the red horse

i had jollibee in vegas and man their fried chicken is so freaking good
love red horse!
san mig light is the beer to drink while at bars/beer houses but nothing beats red horse with friends and relatives at home with pulutan.

spikerS
12-14-2011, 04:51 AM
yeah, they have this 3 in 1 instant coffee here, coffee, cream and sugar in 1 pack, and it is awesome. so much better than in canada!

a pack of smokes is ~30 pesos which is under a dollar CDN.

they make some brandy here for 275 pesos (resort price) that is like $6 and is awesome!

massages for 400 pesos, no, i have not gotten the happy ending.

strip shows here are pretty tame, at least the one i went to, at least in calgary they get 100% nekkid. but they do have these random shows that get a little wild...

spikerS
12-14-2011, 04:58 AM
Out of the 45+ countries I have been to thus far, the Philippines are one of my favorites! I could spend months there island hoping!

If you get a chance and you're in Manila, hit up a "Recipes" in Robinsons Mall. Order Generals Chicken and Gising Gising!

My advice though is to get out of the cities, stick to the smaller towns and the islands, they're a lot nicer and sooo relaxed!

I will check that place out. we are staying in the PH of the holday inn that is attached to the robinsons galleria mall, and will be headed back there in a couple days. I will have to write a review for you all with pics! lol

bourge73
12-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Make sure you have the Dinuguan its a must try! :angel:

JordanEG6
12-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Get bottle service at the clubs in Makati, if thats you're thing. It's like $100 and it's easy to pick up a girl, especially if you're 'first world' Haha.

Fireworks are dope too. I spent about P3000-4000 on fireworks for New Years.

And if you're looking for a place thats good and better than any 'strip show', go to Air Force One. :D

You should also head to Boracay if you get a chance. Beautiful place. Alotta lady boys there though, I'd be careful. Haha.

taemo
12-14-2011, 08:56 AM
just remembered this other KTV that my cousin brought me back in 2009.
Miss Universe Club in Pasay, this was a couple of blocks away from my old JHS so didn't even know its existence until 10 years later.

review: http://www.wjams.com/article.php?n=11
NSFW: there's a youtube link of the place on that site that is NSFW

nj2Type-S
12-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Red Horse is terrible, it'll get you drunk though.

Also, Jollibee is awful, it's like a cheap, terrible tasting McDonalds.

Try a Yellow Cab Pizza while you're there, some of the best pizza in the Philippines!

maybe it's just me reliving my childhood but i love jollibee, lol! :drool:

DGill
12-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Ven
If you find a chic the there with a stick shift don't be alarmed. It's just the performance model, go ahead and ride it like you stole it.
Haha well put

spikerS
12-16-2011, 07:25 AM
updated the blog again, for those that are interested.

spikerS
12-16-2011, 07:45 AM
and apparently I have to start a second photo album now, here is the link. Not sure if you all can access it though...let me know if I should post up pics directly into this thread.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150518135196368.421048.690576367&type=1&l=5276dae550

taemo
12-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Chris, keep posting pics and writing your blogs.
Looks like you had some 'inuman' session with the staff members at that resort :thumbsup:

JordanEG6
12-16-2011, 12:11 PM
That second album brings back so many memories. Thanks for sharing.

hurrdurr
12-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Those springrolls reminded me of the ones my friend's lola used to make me. She has since passed away RIP.

Looks like you're having a good time

adam c
12-16-2011, 04:41 PM
good pics except for the half naked men...