PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetically speaking of course.. (Mechanic related)

R-Audi
12-13-2011, 09:36 AM
If you enlisted a backyard type mechanic (re: no license, home based) to do a fair sized repair job for you (~$3k) and 3 of 4 items failed and had to be repaired again, what would you do?

Important details to add:

-These items were fixed:
1. Tranny taken apart, C-clip replaced on shift fork (Primary repair)
2. New Clutch installed
3. New Rear Main seal
4. New Axle installed

-These items needed to be re-fixed:
1. Rear main seal leaks (14 hrs labor alone at new shop)
2. Axle CAME OFF on Crowchild-needed install again (2hours)
3. CV Boot on Axle ripped and needed replacing
4. Driveshaft was loose
5. Oil line was damaged during clutch install (replaced)

-Getting those said items fixed again by a normal mechanic (licensed, reputable shop) costs ~$2,500.

HOWEVER the majority of the labor cost in the second repair is taking the tranny off... where in the first repair the tranny repair was the primary cost, and the other items were cheaper to add on because tranny was already off. So RMS job initially only charged 3 hours labor.. where at new shop it was 14.

-Backyard mechanic said he was too busy and recommended I take car to another shop.

So all that being said.. what would you do? What are my options?
(Besides not taking the car back to initial mechanic..)

Of course this is all hypothetically speaking....

bourge73
12-13-2011, 09:40 AM
hypothetically speaking, your f*cked.

M.alex
12-13-2011, 10:00 AM
hypothetically this is why we don't bring stuff to a yahoo who barely graduated high school :nut:

Hypothetically take him to small claims court?

Cos
12-13-2011, 10:02 AM
It sucks but I think that is the risk you take by going to a backyard mechanic.

Masked Bandit
12-13-2011, 10:12 AM
It sounds like maybe the original "mechanic" took on a job that was over his head and beyond his skill set. That's probably why he wants nothing to do with it now, he realized that he can't handle it. OP, I think you're screwed.

R-Audi
12-13-2011, 10:24 AM
I had no reason to doubt the persons skills, and I will admit I was drawn in by the $48/hr savings in the labor rate.

We will be in talks of a settlement once my car is totally done at the new place, more so I was looking for the amount other people may think is a decent settlement to ask for.
Small Claims is definitely an option, but hopefully a last resort.

ExtraSlow
12-13-2011, 11:06 AM
My opinion, your options are small claims court, which will probably cost you mroe in time that you'd get back in money, or just chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Hell, a few thousand bucks is a good deal if you learn your lesson well.

chkolny541
12-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
I had no reason to doubt the persons skills, and I will admit I was drawn in by the $48/hr savings in the labor rate.

We will be in talks of a settlement once my car is totally done at the new place, more so I was looking for the amount other people may think is a decent settlement to ask for.
Small Claims is definitely an option, but hopefully a last resort.

hypothetically i gaurentee that the mechanic will not "be in talks of a settlement", good luck.

Had a similar situation happen with a friend about some elctrical work that had to be done. Long story short the electrical work performed was completely fucked and had to be redone, and of course the backyard mechanic just dissapeared and is avoiding him, now he is in the process of small claims.

bourge73
12-13-2011, 06:32 PM
^^Hmmm just like in the op's case, Kijiji?

Rat Fink
12-13-2011, 06:49 PM

max_boost
12-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Shitty deal buddy, I'm surprised you would take that kind of job to a backyard guy. From his perspective, he spent X hours on your car, from your perspective, he didn't get the job done properly. I have no experience in court but sounds like a whole lot of your words vs his and I don't know if that's going to get anywhere.

My guess is you already paid the backyard mechanic? :nut: :dunno:

chkolny541
12-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
^^Hmmm just like in the op's case, Kijiji?

haha you know it. The work was for an remote car starter. The guy claimed 5+ years installing these, and worked at "Blah blah" shop for 10 years, etc etc. Credentials up the ying yang. Then completely butchered the install and it had to be redone. The installer promptly stopped answering his phone, and when my friend called from anther phone he immediatly answered then said he was busy and hung up.

Hope for the best OP, but expect the worst.
Did you know this mechanic beforehand or just a random kijiji find? Hypothetically of course.

J-hop
12-13-2011, 07:33 PM
I could be wrong but I don't think you have much to go on. Was this hypothetical person at least hypothetically a licensed tech? If not that even further diminishes your chance of making a case. Like giving an unlicensed driver the keys to your car it's going to look pretty negligent in the eyes of a judge I'll bet.

Edit: just looked over your post and and saw he had no license....

imhungry
12-13-2011, 08:37 PM
LOLLL. Is the backyard mechanic hypothetically you?

R-Audi
12-14-2011, 08:40 AM
ha ha, mechanic is definitely not me!
And to clear something else up, I didnt exactly find this guy via advertisement on the side of some mailbox. I have known him for a while, and hadn't heard any poor reviews prior. He has been paid, as has the regular licensed shop.. and they did a great job, even taking pictures for me along the way.

He has made an initial offer in terms of a refund, but its roughly 15% of the entire bill, so Im pushing a little harder. (Other items have been pointed out as being faulty since then) I really dont want to go to Small Claims, so we will see what we can accomplish without having to go in that direction.

Rat Fink
12-15-2011, 12:10 AM

Tik-Tok
12-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Honestly, you're lucky he's offering a refund at all. Going to a backyard mechanic is cheap because, so far as I'm concerned, it is a AS IS WHERE IS situation. You pay for what you get, you roll the dice and take your chances.

This is exactly why I refuse to work on anyone else's cars (asides from really easy shit)

Alak
12-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
This is exactly why I refuse to work on anyone else's cars

X2

R-Audi
12-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Wow, just saw 14 hours for a rear main? What kind of car?

2001 Audi S4.... you have to remove the transmission to do so.

So the mechanic has offered to pay some money back, but only the extra amount he charged me to do those jobs. ($500-tranny was out already) Im not happy at all about it, and going to make sure no one else I know even goes close to this guy.
His attitude at the end was:

" I guess that's one of the risks you take when you hire the little guy to work for you for 60% of what the big shops charge."

That is shitty work, and putting me and my family in danger. (When axle fell off when driving... drive shaft wasnt far behind)

Disoblige
12-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Post the guy's information here :thumbsup:

Rat Fink
12-16-2011, 09:58 AM

R-Audi
12-16-2011, 10:47 AM
For one he asked me to go to another shop to get it checked out, and even if he wanted to do it again I didnt trust him enough to do so. Im not going to post any names yet, as Im still working on something else.
I have a meeting with a lawyer coming up to see what my options are... may be small claims, may be nothing at all.