PDA

View Full Version : roof rack fitment

Mys73ri0
12-14-2011, 12:52 AM
this will probably sound stupid, but how are people clamping their snowboards down on the roof racks?

my rails don't have enough length to put the clamps on the outside of the snowboard's bindings so do i:

put the front clamp infront of the binding
or
behind?

The only reason I ask is because if i put the clamp behind the front binding i'm scared it may slide back wards, especially when I put 3 boards in and 1 will be looser than the other two...

basically this conversation:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110393

codetrap
12-14-2011, 09:22 AM
I always tried to line up the rails so the clamps were on the outside of the bindings, that way I was covered for both accelerating and stopping. The loading points that were recommended usually were for putting the actual load weight on the roof. Since the snowboards were pretty light, I figured that it simply wasn't a big deal. Also, the clamps were tight enough that the boards never moved anyways.

One other thing I did was I bought some 3M film in sheets and put them under the clamping points, and then just replaced it every year. That way, no grindy marks in the paint.

boarderfatty
12-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Same problem on my Porsche, I have one binding in front of the front rail, and one binding in between the front and back rail.

Had the same problem on my sti as well, had the board with the rear binding behind the rear rail and one day driving back from Whistler doing about 150km/hr hit a bump good, board slid back and smashed out my rear window. Besides scaring the shit out of me, it was a most unpleasant drive home, and un needed mess to clean up.

basically opposite of this, just did this for the shoot

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w351/jordanturbo/4200137569_303c4cf008_o.jpg

sevewone
12-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by boarderfatty
driving back from Whistler doing about 150km/hr hit a bump [/IMG]

Not saying I give a shit about fast you drive cause I aint no angel myself, but even in my work van if I hit a bump at 130 shit goes EVERYWHERE. Sometimes it's better to go slow, just sometimes..

boarderfatty
12-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by sevewone

Not saying I give a shit about fast you drive cause I aint no angel myself, but even in my work van if I hit a bump at 130 shit goes EVERYWHERE. Sometimes it's better to go slow, just sometimes..

Just saying, a work van and an STI are slightly different cars, I would venture to guess an STI is a little more capable at 150 than a van is at 130. Like comparing Apples to Oranges. That being said, I was exceeding the speed limit a little, but had a reason for it that I do not feel the need to justify. Also the bump was not very big, it wasnt like hitting a speed bump, it was not enough to jar me, my passengers or anything else in the car, drinks remained in cup holders without spilling, nobody felt their weight lift, etc. I think that is what shocked everyone so bad, the fact it was such a small bump that we didnt expect any serious consequences.

sevewone
12-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by boarderfatty

Just saying, a work van and an STI are slightly different cars, I would venture to guess an STI is a little more capable at 150 than a van is at 130. Like comparing Apples to Oranges. That being said, I was exceeding the speed limit a little, but had a reason for it that I do not feel the need to justify. Also the bump was not very big, it wasnt like hitting a speed bump, it was not enough to jar me, my passengers or anything else in the car, drinks remained in cup holders without spilling, nobody felt their weight lift, etc. I think that is what shocked everyone so bad, the fact it was such a small bump that we didnt expect any serious consequences.

Yes. A STI probably is alot better at handling at higher speeds then a work van, thanks for clearing that up... Maybe it's just me, but if I had a snowboard that wasn't locked in properly on top of my Porsche I probably wouldn't be cooking it at 150km. It's like having a travel trailer connected only 50% but you still haul ass down the highway and hope nothing happens.