PDA

View Full Version : kids skateboard

lint
12-14-2011, 02:17 PM
so my 4.5yr old wants a skateboard for christmas and I know nothing of skateboards. Where is a good place to go and can I find something for around $30-$40?

maxomilll
12-14-2011, 02:31 PM
toysRus

ercchry
12-14-2011, 02:39 PM
splurge a bit... please, i remember as a kid having just the SHITTIEST cheap skateboards and it made learning hell. im not saying go and buy top of the line stuff... but just dont get any of those garbage plastic trucks, shitty bearing toys r us boards.

i would say get a "blank" mini deck from any local skateshop, some decent sized wheels and good bearings, and just some basic proper metal trucks... it will run you more than $40, but will be worth it.

Euro838
12-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Do you know if your kid wants to Longboard or Skateboard? Big difference in both the activity and the price for the boards. I would suggest Longboard if they want to just roll straight down the street (ashphalt) or down the sidewalk.

Main difference is that with the Longboards, the wheels are bigger and essentially goes over cracks and bumps a lot easier. On a skateboard, the wheels will catch if you are not strong on the skateboard.

Anyways, I bought a couple of Visions Skateboards from sportscheck that have hardly seen any use. $25 each if you want them. PM for pics.

lint
12-14-2011, 02:58 PM
I seriously know nothing about skateboards. he likes to keep up with the older kids on the block, and one of them is a skateboarder. he's 4.5yrs old knows, doubt he knows the diff between a skateboard/longboard. I don't want to drop $100 on one in case he doesn't like it.

ercchry
12-14-2011, 03:16 PM
i would take Euro838 up on his offer those vision boards look like a great base to start with, if he ends up liking it then you can get him a smaller deck to replace the full sized one. this will make board control much easier for him

darthVWader
12-14-2011, 03:31 PM
The kids 4 1/2 so I would just go with the Toys R Us stuff.
If by the age of 8 he's still into it then go big.

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=10965248

roll_over
12-14-2011, 03:56 PM
at four and a half i would go with a cheap walmart one, if he gets good and starts to ride then go re-up and get a nice one.
If you get him a long board dont forget the mac book pro and non prescription glasses

joking

dandia89
12-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
splurge a bit... please, i remember as a kid having just the SHITTIEST cheap skateboards and it made learning hell. im not saying go and buy top of the line stuff... but just dont get any of those garbage plastic trucks, shitty bearing toys r us boards.

i would say get a "blank" mini deck from any local skateshop, some decent sized wheels and good bearings, and just some basic proper metal trucks... it will run you more than $40, but will be worth it.

he's 5, it'll be lucky if he uses it for a year

CMW403
12-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by roll_over
at four and a half i would go with a cheap walmart one, if he gets good and starts to ride then go re-up and get a nice one.
If you get him a long board dont forget the mac book pro and non prescription glasses

joking

:rofl: Perfect.