PDA

View Full Version : Black Swan Ale House = Worst Service Ever!

Mixalot27
12-15-2011, 02:32 AM
I honestly don't even know what to make of my experience at this place tonight. I don't know whether to be pissed off or laugh about it. Its easily the most bizare thing thats happened to me in around 17 years of going to pubs.

I decided to go here for wings with a friend of mine. We are both 34 year old white guys, conservatively dressed and completely stone cold sober. When we go out we have 2 beers each and some wings. Neither of us has done any drugs since our college years. Neither of us were anything but respectful and patient.

We take a seat at a table. The place isn't very busy, maybe 40% full. No waitress ever comes to take our drink order. We waited at least 20 mins. There were 2 waitresses working the nearby tables in view of us. We were slightly in the corner but not hidden. Finally I motion to the waitress serving the nearby table. She tells me she will be right there but never comes. We ended up getting caught up watching some old UFC fights they were showing. 45 mins after sitting down we had still not been served.

So we decide we will move to another section of the pub where a different waitress is working. After about 5 mins the waitress comes to our table. The conversation goes like this:

Her: "Hey guys, hows it going tonight?"

Me: "Not bad but we waited 45mins upstairs and never got any service"

Her: "well I don't know what's going on up there. But I'd be happy to get you guys some pop and/or food but I can't serve you any alcohol"

Me: "Isn't this a bar? Why can't we get a drink?"

Her: "You guys have obviously already had too much to drink.

Me: "Neither of us has even had one drink yet tonight. Like I said we haven't been able to get any service"

Her: "Are you guys stoned?"

Me: "We don't do drugs. I guess we will just go somewhere else then."

And that was it, we left and went to Woody's taphouse on 130th Ave instead, who had no problem serving us. The funny part is we both live in Mckenzie Towne anyways. We only went to Black Swan because we used to enjoy the wings there. Obviously they don't want our business so we won't be back.

Tik-Tok
12-15-2011, 02:51 AM
Obviously her train of thought was that no one sober would wait 45min without getting served, and not leave.

12-15-2011, 03:14 AM
Ahh the black swan, I almost got hit by a stray bullet there a few years ago. Havent been back since :thumbsup:

eblend
12-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Went there a few weeks back, the service sure sucked, they just didn't seem to give a shit

ercchry
12-15-2011, 09:39 AM
this is news? :rofl:

that place has always been a dive

hurrdurr
12-15-2011, 09:53 AM
If a bitch asked me if I was stoned: Uppercut

civic_stylez
12-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by 5.0
Ahh the black swan, I almost got hit by a stray bullet there a few years ago. Havent been back since :thumbsup:

I used to go there in the Grandin days.. the night my friends brother got shot there was a good enough reason to hit up the local pubs for me.

pf0sh0
12-15-2011, 11:39 AM
I remember going there when I was in Grandin too, haven't been back since lol.

next time for wings try the horny toad on elbow drive by henry wise wood, best wings ever

Adrenaline101
12-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Staff at woody's is friendlier anyways. I could only stay out till 9:30 or so last night :p

johnnymuk1
12-17-2011, 05:03 AM
Are you sure you weren't already two sheets in when you got there? Or maybe you stumbled or tripped on the way to your table? I cannot see a reason that a waitress would come up to you and say that you were drunk unless you showed some signs of intoxication.

The server has the right to refuse service for any reason. If you looked out of it in her opinion, she does not have to serve you. It sounds like this was most likely the case. You guys must have shown, in some way, shape or form, that you were not 100% or she wouldn't have approached you in that manner.

She did offer you food (wings) and pop so I don't think she didn't want to serve you; the fact was that she didn't want to serve you any more alcohol! In her opinion, you were already intoxicated.

She has that right!

In regards to waiting 45 minutes, I call bull****! I believe you have some creative "time telling" going on here. I cannot believe that you would sit there for 15 without being served. 15 minutes is an extremely long time to wait to be served. 45 minutes on the other hand is an eternity. No, it's not an eternity; it's at least three eternities.

I dare anyone to try and sit 15 minutes in a restaurant or bar and wait to be served. I would crawl out of my skin! 45 minutes on the other hand...........Wow! I would go postal!

Did you not realize that there is a bar and you can walk the 15 steps (not 45) up to the bar and order your beers. Or did you not want to get up from your seats for some reason? Maybe fear of stumbling on your way to the bar????

Something is wrong with your story. Either you were out of it (as the waitress thought) or you are just plain stupid. After 5 minutes, I would take my money elsewhere. After 45, they would owe me!!!!!!

/////AMG
12-17-2011, 05:21 AM
^ Are you sure you don't have some sort of affiliation with this place?

ryder_23
12-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Your 45 minutes was probably 5 minutes because you were stoned and wasted. Server did her job well(minus the 5 minutes to greet you). OR your retarded for waiting 45 minutes for service.

thinmyster
12-17-2011, 07:46 AM
The old dirty bird! I thought being stoned was the equivalent of showing your ID there.

Mixalot27
12-17-2011, 06:35 PM
You are right that 45mins is a long time to wait. However I was with a buddy I hadn't seen in a while so we got caught up talking. Also we were right in front of the big screen where they were playing some old UFC fights. I didn't time it exactly but we watched 3 entire fights. I guess it might have been 30 or 35mins. It was definitely a long time though.

Also we are not big drinkers anyway, and weren't in a hurry, plus the service is often slow there so we thought they would get to us eventually. We could have went up to bar to order but it was crowded and so we didn't basically just out of lazyness I guess.

As for why she would have thought we were intoxicated, I don't know. Maybe my eyes were red from staring at my computer all day? Maybe I was walking funny because my legs were sore from doing squats the day before? I don't know, all I know is I was sober at the time.

I think she may of possibly misunderstood when I said we couldn't get any service upstairs. Perhaps she thought that the girls upstairs were refusing to serve us, so they must have some reason, so she shouldn't serve us either.

project240
12-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG
^ Are you sure you don't have some sort of affiliation with this place?

Sounds like it.

max_boost
12-17-2011, 06:49 PM
I find it hard to believe but just maybe.....

My time limit is 15mins. I've walked out of Red Lobster (insert uppercut joke here) and Joeys because I didn't get a hello or menus within that time frame.

JRSC00LUDE
12-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by project240

Sounds like it.

Oh no, I'm sure a random person just signed up to pick apart a story and defend a consistently shitty pubs reputation.

ekguy
12-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Heard nothing but bad things about this place.

And to the guys saying waiting 45 mins is impossible, sometimes, some people may wait that long just to prove a point.

I've also been caught up in conversation with old friends or dates, at bars and not notice time go by. Not that much of a stretch really.

Not surprised at your experience here OP.

Disoblige
12-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

My time limit is 15mins. I've walked out of Red Lobster (insert uppercut joke here) and Joeys because I didn't get a hello or menus within that time frame.
I just wish you met the bitch korean server from Anju.

88CRX
12-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Even if he was intoxicated since when did the Black Swan become classy enough to refuse to serve drunks?

Mibz
12-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Oh no, I'm sure a random person just signed up to pick apart a story and defend a consistently shitty pubs reputation. Well to be fair, he didn't just sign up. This -is- his first post in 4 years though :P

desi112
12-19-2011, 11:07 AM
black-swan = shitty service

I thought this was known.

sputnik
12-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Well to be fair, he didn't just sign up. This -is- his first post in 4 years though :P

Does Woody's on 130th Ave have new owners?

I wouldn't exactly call Woody's a classy place. In fact I would sooner go the Black Swan.

I worked next to the Black Swan for a couple of years and never had any issues going there for lunch. In fact they had a great prime rib sandwich on special once a week.

sexualbanana
12-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
Heard nothing but bad things about this place.

And to the guys saying waiting 45 mins is impossible, sometimes, some people may wait that long just to prove a point.

I've also been caught up in conversation with old friends or dates, at bars and not notice time go by. Not that much of a stretch really.

Not surprised at your experience here OP.

My first time was bad, but I've been going for close to 5 years now for wing nights and we get great service from the servers there, and we don't even spend that much.

Admittedly though, some of the servers they've had in the past are pretty terrible.

JRSC00LUDE
12-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Well to be fair, he didn't just sign up. This -is- his first post in 4 years though :P

Oh! I just looked at the 0.00 posts/day and assumed! :D

smartcar
12-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Oh! I just looked at the 0.00 posts/day and assumed! :D
Ya that's what happens when you only post when you have something to say. Newbie forever :(

I wonder if the way OP said it led the downstairs server to assume he had been refused service upstairs.

cancer man
04-10-2015, 06:27 AM
Went to the Black Swan for Taco Tuesday it was fine.. not great but ok.
Service was good we were in a group of six.Twas a cheap pub nite.
Just a bump maybe the place got better.

quick_scar
04-10-2015, 07:18 AM
I used to go every wednesday religiously back in 2007 to 2010ish. Started going down hill and a bunch of the good servers moved on so we did as well. Have been back a couple times on different nights over the years and never been impressed. Service and food wasn't bad I would say, but definitely wasnt the pub I remembered from before. Been probably a year since I was there.

J.M.
04-10-2015, 07:46 AM
Haven't been there since 2011

HomespunLobster
04-10-2015, 08:05 AM
They are working on changing up a bunch of their methods. From food, to servers, and 'theme'
Still a dive. They tried so hard to pull a "Hudsons Friday/Saturday Party nights" and tried to make it a club.