PDA

View Full Version : best horror movie in your opinion

nguyen
12-15-2011, 09:04 AM
it's been a while since i've seen a good horror flick. downloaded this one thai movie called "alone" last night, the last time i remember jumping that much was when i watched "the ring" as a kid.

what are some horror movies you've enjoyed lately/overall?

shakalaka
12-15-2011, 02:45 PM
I love horror movies, but I've still haven't come across one that has truly 'scared' me. And that includes watching those Texas Chainsaw movies alone when I was 11-12 in the middle of the night. My parents wouldn't let me cause of their ratings and all that. So I would sneak out of my room in the middle of the night and watch them sitting right in front of the tv cause I didn't want to wake the parents up with the volume being too loud. lol

Majority of them don't even end up startling me and the whole startle scenes are a cheap scaring tactic to begin with in my opinion. I still watch pretty much everyone that comes out though, just for the sake of it. I'll check out that 'Alone' one you mentioned. Been watching a trailer for this new exorcism movie coming out next month that looks good. But then again all of them do when you watch the trailer.

nguyen
12-15-2011, 02:53 PM
check out that alone trailer. i watched it on youtube and i was like "fuck i gotta watch this." turned out to be a pretty good movie, give it a whirl.

next up on my list is "three...extremes" apparently 3 chinese horror short films composed into one.

as for the westernized films, i've always enjoyed those slasher flicks. they're not scary, but some of them are actually pretty good with the directing. most recent horror slasher flicks i enjoyed have been "halloween" and the new texas chainsaw massacre one, remake by rob zombie i think? pretty sure that's who it was...either way, definately enjoyable movies. but not one to make me get startled in my seat

Kloubek
12-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Personally, 28 Days Later is one of my favs.

Mar
12-15-2011, 03:03 PM
I don't like the scary ones, I like the comedic b-rate horror so my vote is for Evil Dead 2.

bimmere92
12-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by nguyen
check out that alone trailer. i watched it on youtube and i was like "fuck i gotta watch this." turned out to be a pretty good movie, give it a whirl.

next up on my list is "three...extremes" apparently 3 chinese horror short films composed into one.

as for the westernized films, i've always enjoyed those slasher flicks. they're not scary, but some of them are actually pretty good with the directing. most recent horror slasher flicks i enjoyed have been "halloween" and the new texas chainsaw massacre one, remake by rob zombie i think? pretty sure that's who it was...either way, definately enjoyable movies. but not one to make me get startled in my seat

yeah, the new halloween 1 and 2 were directed by Rob Zombie... first one was good... but second one wasnt that great, as if you had to be on acid or something to watch it...

TCM is a classic and always will be... Jessica Biel :drool:

civic_stylez
12-15-2011, 03:33 PM
I find the scariest movies are ones where you can put yourself in the situation. The pop out "boo" type movies arent scary they just startle you. I like the movies where you never really see anything so its more of an imagination thing.

the movie 'devil' was entertaining because you never actually see anything. Its an older movie but "pulse" was a creepy film.

I like the non mainstream movies..

g8FBRATbJoA&feature=related

If I had to pick some gooder hollywood films, Silent Hill, Insidious are good.

nguyen
12-15-2011, 03:42 PM
ooooo....i totally forgot about insidious..that's a good one. "The Rite" was creepy too. those catholic horror movies always get me. creepy as shit. "stigmata" was a creepy one too a few years back.

Godfuader
12-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Event Horizon! :eek:

Boat
12-15-2011, 03:54 PM
The Exorcist (70's one)
The Descent

n1zm0
12-15-2011, 04:05 PM
^ yeah the original exorcist was good, it was moreso the faces that would flash in the dark that scared the crap outta me when i was a little kid than the actual demon in the chick.

i respect the non mainstream stuff and watch lots of 'indie' horrors but grave encounters imo was just waaay too corny.

Insidious tho, i remember it was the monday after i watched it with my gf on the weekend, waking up at 6 am, going to feed the fish with just the fish tank light illuminating the room in a fluorescent glow, invisioned that gdamned demon thing sitting upside down in the corner of the kitchen with the whites of its eyes looking at me as i crossed the room, fuuuuuu was that a cracked out rest of the morning.

i can't remember the scariest movie i've ever seen but there's a huge siding toward alot of the j and k horrors and S.E asian films, there's something about all the ghost stories my dad told me about living in the boonies in M'sia when he was a kid that always freaks the crap outta me when it comes to ghosts and Asia, then actually going there and seeing just how creepy it is there in the rural areas/jungle at night

yoda124
12-15-2011, 04:11 PM
The Omen was not only creepy but also believed to be cursed:

This is due to a number of incidents that happened during and after the shooting of The Omen. For example, lightning struck both of the airplanes in which star Gregory Peck and screenwriter David Seltzer were flying to the UK to film the movie. While producer Harvey Bernhard was in Rome, lightning just missed him, too. After Peck canceled another flight to Israel, the plane he would have been in crashed, killing everyone on board. Director Richard Donner's hotel was bombed by the IRA, and he was also struck by a car. Rottweilers hired for the film attacked their trainers. A warden at the safari park used in the "crazy baboon" scene was attacked and killed by a lion the day after the crew left. During post-production, special effects artist John Richardson was injured while driving his BMW, and his girlfriend was beheaded in an accident on the set of A Bridge Too Far (1977).

lilmira
12-15-2011, 04:51 PM
JXXjW28Jvf0

The elevator scene is still creepy as hell doesn't matter how many times I've seen it.

Ringu is also creepy as hell. I thought I was going to get a heart attack when I watched it the first time with no idea what it was about.

Quiet10
12-15-2011, 05:01 PM
More details on 'The Omen Curse':

The Omen Curse (http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?
showtopic=53861)

The first post has a bit more detail about one of the car crashes but no sources so I don't know if it's legit.

4doorj
12-15-2011, 05:02 PM
When I watched the ring in the theaters it scared the crap out of me.
But then watch it again at home for the second time, it seems stupid after hahahha

jonnycat
12-15-2011, 05:58 PM
For whatever reason, the only movie that kind of creeped me out lately was Paranormal. (first) It is the only movie that flashes in my brain when I am in complete darkness (headed up from basement, and turning out light at the bottom of the stairs and not realizing it until I am half way up the stairs and it s black.) I keep envisioning that big tittied bitch will be standing behind me when I get to the door at the top of the stairs.

Loved Shaun of the dead as my comical horror.

I really liked Scream back in '96. It started me off on my horror kick, even though it was a straight up slasher / who dunnit.

I have never been as scared as I was when I watched IT and poltergeist though. They are probably so weak nowadays though.

95teetee
12-15-2011, 06:18 PM
this (from Salem's Lot) is the only thing I can ever remember making me jump (i.e. 'scaring me')

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6598/sl9g.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/sl9g.jpg/)

J-hop
12-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Exorcism of Emily rose was pretty good IMO.

Watched some of the last exorcism it seemed pretty good but the gf made me shut it off because she was scared and I haven't had a chance to finish it.

Tram Common
12-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader

x2. One of the best sci-fi horrors IMO.

A Tale Of Two Sisters is by far the scariest movie I've ever seen... the one scene just ruined me while I was working in Japan:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QHjYQPYpEAQ/Tabj8AT9NnI/AAAAAAAACH8/KDrabGljcFg/s1600/A_Tale_of_Two_Sisters.jpg

nguyen
12-15-2011, 09:31 PM
i think asian horrors still got it in them. each movie seems to have a unique plot/twist. nowadays with all the western films, they're all remakes/predictable

Cos
12-15-2011, 09:33 PM
;the ring" as a kid.

As a kid? isnt that movie like 6 years old?

Tik-Tok
12-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Boat

The Descent

Yeah, when I first watched that movie, I couldn't help but laugh at it... But its been years since I've seen it, and everytime I'm in a completely dark room, I think of the very last scene when her light is dying, and I get the creeps:(

dj_rice
12-15-2011, 10:36 PM
I was freaked out by Stephen Kings "It" when i was a kid

Kavy
12-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
I was freaked out by Stephen Kings "It" when i was a kid

Dam rights.

I hated circus's for at least 4 years after that movie and ended up packing all my toys under my bed to make sure nothing could fit under it.

Canucks3322
12-16-2011, 12:09 AM
For a good Asian one watch The Eye, the original Hong Kong version, not the Jessica Alba remake.

95teetee
12-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Kavy

Dam rights.

I hated circus's for at least 4 years after that movie and ended up packing all my toys under my bed to make sure nothing could fit under it. Clowns were scary as hell anyways, Pennywise just brought every kid's true feelings out lol.

nguyen
12-16-2011, 09:04 AM
another good asian one was "shutter" fuck i still get the creeps thinking about the ending

kobe tai
12-16-2011, 10:30 AM
First "Paranormal Activity" did something weird to me cause starting that night I would wake up excatly at 3:33 AM for like 2 weeks straight. I would hear a loud bang in my sleep and wake up and every time I looked at my clock I would see it's 3:33. Now I seem to see that number all the time LOL..

nguyen
12-16-2011, 10:42 AM
sounds like that movie with jim carrey, "23" was it? haha

desi112
12-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by kobe tai
First "Paranormal Activity" did something weird to me cause starting that night I would wake up excatly at 3:33 AM for like 2 weeks straight. I would hear a loud bang in my sleep and wake up and every time I looked at my clock I would see it's 3:33. Now I seem to see that number all the time LOL..

thats not the movie, thats an entity in your residence tellling you to wake up at 333 because 333 x 2 = 666 and your fucked if the clock ever hit 666, that means its actualy 706 and your late for work.

Disoblige
12-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Asian horror movies can never scare me. I dunno, an asian face can never make me scared for some reason.

Cash Money Hoes
12-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Without a doubt the most disturbing movie you will come across is 'Martyrs'. Period.

I do not recommend this film. There are some horror movies that you can watch and not feel sick to your stomach afterwards and not go home and want to take a warm bath and not make you need to sleep with you lights on. This movie is not one of them. It is way too messed up. It made my 2 of my buddies girl friends cry when you were forced to watch it.

nguyen
12-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Cash Money Hoes
Without a doubt the most disturbing movie you will come across is 'Martyrs'. Period.

I do not recommend this film. There are some horror movies that you can watch and not feel sick to your stomach afterwards and not go home and want to take a warm bath and not make you need to sleep with you lights on. This movie is not one of them. It is way too messed up. It made my 2 of my buddies girl friends cry when you were forced to watch it.

i was watching the trailer on it. it was rated one of the top 10 horror movies of the last decade. looks pretty fucked up....but i'm not too sure about the girl going around getting revenge shooting everyone (stated in trailer so not a spoiler, lol) was it as fucked up as human centipede?

you guys ever watch hard candy? not so a horror but such a great film

desi112
12-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Cash Money Hoes

Martyrs is not horror its just straight Cannes film gorre.

I also recommend avoiding it.

nguyen
12-16-2011, 11:39 AM
cannes is just a film festival isn't it?

the movie can't be that fucked up can it? lol

Dave P
12-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Ive seen it, didnt think it was that crazy. Disturbing? sure. but not like your gonna be rattled for days after haha

its on netflix.

desi112
12-16-2011, 11:53 AM
cannes is just a film festival isn't it?

the movie can't be that fucked up can it? lol

Yes it was a movie made with intent for positive reception at Cannes.

nguyen
12-28-2011, 09:16 AM
did you guys ever end up watching that "alone" movie?

WhippWhapp
12-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Horror movies have never scared me- I'm more disturbed by movies like Saving Private Ryan., Band of Brothers, etc.

Not scared, but they stay with me awhile and make me wonder how I'll be when I meet my maker.

SlickA70
12-28-2011, 11:48 AM
The Exorcist (70's one)
The Descent

Boom.

clem24
12-31-2011, 03:18 PM
I love horror movies!

I think Ringu really creeps me out and is the first movie that I couldn't sit through LOL. Another movie that gave me chills was the Fourth Kind - the screams were totally spine tingling.. But only the first 3/4 I'd say. Then it just got kind of stupid LOL.

I think one of my favorite horror movies is "Let Me In". It's not particularly scary or gory but was just done so well, even the North American version was done really well too.

The Descent was OK. I was expecting a bit more T&A LOL. But the ending was awesome.

I usually find movies to watch through this site:

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/

Seth1968
12-31-2011, 03:55 PM
The Exorcist (70's one)
The Descent

Agreed on both.

Anyone else seen the Crawler Dance from Descent's out takes? It's funnier to see it after you've watched the movie, but here it is anyway:

1aAdIdKDm6g

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aAdIdKDm6g

black13
12-31-2011, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader

really really good underrated horror movie.

As a child though, watching the first Alien movie really scared the crap out of me though.

heavyD
12-31-2011, 07:50 PM
My personal favourites:

Alien
The Thing (1982)
Event Horizon
High Tension (great French horror movie)
The Shining

alloroc
01-01-2012, 06:30 PM
best of all time = Psycho.

msommers
01-01-2012, 06:50 PM
OyT7xMPurgw

Could have potential.

J-hop
01-01-2012, 09:38 PM
^ I am looking forward to that movie so much!!! They had that trailer playing before the movie I watched today, I felt a cold chill and my hair stood on end throughout the whole trailer, sure hope it's going to be as good as it looks

Seth1968
01-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
^ I am looking forward to that movie so much!!! They had that trailer playing before the movie I watched today, I felt a cold chill and my hair stood on end throughout the whole trailer, sure hope it's going to be as good as it looks

I don't know, but to me it looks like a totally unoriginal POS.

nguyen
01-04-2012, 11:51 AM
i hate exorcism movies. they're so creepy. "the rite" was the last one i've seen and that one gave me chills

legendboy
01-04-2012, 02:10 PM
+ for Event Horizon

Still my favorite horror movie after all these years.

Dark room, big TV, good sound system = awesome movie

The only movie I actually almost left the theater cause i was scared :rofl:

almerick
01-04-2012, 02:56 PM
I remember watching Event Horizon when I was younger and it scared the bejeebers out of me.

Watched Insidious the other day, it's not bad!

403Gemini
01-04-2012, 03:04 PM
I LOVE event horizon, one of my all time favorite movies.

The Thing (John Carpenters 1982) was one of the biggest mind fuck movies of "who can you trust?!"

I think what was so refreshing about Insidious was it wasn't a movie that had a twist or anything, it was straight up "there is a demon haunting a boy" story. It didn't try the whole "psychological melt down" twist so many movies try where there is no ghost or possession, but instead was the main character who lost it... :rolleyes: most overplayed horror movie "twist" ever.

Abeo
01-04-2012, 09:05 PM
When I was a kid, American Werewolf in London scared me, from what I recall it was a pretty good movie on its own. Still have been meaning to watch event horizon.

03ozwhip
01-05-2012, 06:03 PM
any movie that can potentially be something that is true life is what scaes the shit out of me ie exorcism and ghost movies. i still dont look at mirrors at night.....im scared, so what?

FoxTrot
01-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
JXXjW28Jvf0

The elevator scene is still creepy as hell doesn't matter how many times I've seen it.

Ringu is also creepy as hell. I thought I was going to get a heart attack when I watched it the first time with no idea what it was about.

I nearly crapped my pants.

And watch paanormal 3 i had to sleep with my bedroom lights on that night.

cancer man
01-25-2012, 10:15 AM
The Devil inside sucked.The trailer is the whole movie save your money.
Salems lot is still number 1 in my books.