PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody lend me a couple tools?

ZZT23
12-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Hey guys! This past summer I was biking more than I have ever been, and I have bent my rear wheel going over a curb. I want to get a new wheel for my bike but I need the Shimano casette puller and chain whip to transfer the gears to the new wheel. If someone can lend me their tools for a couple days that would be super!

For the ones who are kind to help me out on this my phone number is 587-899-0750.

megavolt
12-19-2011, 03:50 PM
What part of the city are you in?

ZZT23
12-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by megavolt
What part of the city are you in?

I live in Coventry Hills.

rob the knob
12-21-2011, 08:49 PM
many bikeshops will do it for free. go speak to mechanics not sales people.

or go here if you do not mind hipsters.
http://www.goodlifebikes.ca/ they will help you dot it free

its at eau clair market by the sheraton downtown.

swak
12-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Yea dude, bring it down to Bow Cycle or something. Your cassette is one of the easiest things to flip. They'll probably do it for free or really cheap.

Or you can buy the tools so you can do it next time (only $20 for cheap tools, or $40-50 for park tools).

ZZT23
12-22-2011, 02:20 PM
I went to bow cycle and the mechanic told me to just keep riding it since my bike isn't worth any more work done to it. i guess I could try it again this time bringing in the good wheel along with the bike. Don't you have to be a member of Good Life in order to use their help/tools/have any work done in there?

Cos
12-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Let me know if you dont get some help. My dad lives in Coventry and has ridden/raced for 40 years so I am sure he has the tools.

If not go and see Ed at Velosport or go to Eurotech cycle. Both are closer to us and are really good places to deal.

swak
12-23-2011, 02:40 AM
Roy at Eurotech is the man!
But if you want a cheap wheel to replace it with, but that at whatever shop you like (Bow Cycle's your best bet for someone having it in stock). Then bring in old wheel and get casette swapped all at once. Install new wheel and ride!

If its a shit dept. Store bike though, you're usually best off just buying a new bike though. So the guy at Bow Cycle was probably right if that was the case.

ZZT23
12-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Cos: Thanks for the offer I'm going to check if the width of the good wheel's axle matches the frame of the bike. I'll give you a pm when I'm ready.

swak: My bike is a Costco bike I bought before 2000 so I'm guessing it's one of those shit dept store ones you are referring. I have plans to buy a new bike (from a real bike shop) but the costco bike is still a good one to have in working order for the rest of my family. Not planning to sink more than $100 on it though.

Also do rigid mountain bikes not exist? I have read that bikes with multiple high end features (suspension, disk brakes, etc) that are low end usually have those said features in low quality, plus the frame will be cheaper/heavier than one in a bare-bones bike. I mostly do paths in the city and occasionally hop over curbs and stuff so I don't really need a suspension fork. Following that reason I would now be looking for a very basic bike with a good frame that are ready for upgrading components later down the road, namely a rigid bike. Are there anything like this in the market anymore?

swak
12-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by ZZT23
Cos: Thanks for the offer I'm going to check if the width of the good wheel's axle matches the frame of the bike. I'll give you a pm when I'm ready.

swak: My bike is a Costco bike I bought before 2000 so I'm guessing it's one of those shit dept store ones you are referring. I have plans to buy a new bike (from a real bike shop) but the costco bike is still a good one to have in working order for the rest of my family. Not planning to sink more than $100 on it though.

Also do rigid mountain bikes not exist? I have read that bikes with multiple high end features (suspension, disk brakes, etc) that are low end usually have those said features in low quality, plus the frame will be cheaper/heavier than one in a bare-bones bike. I mostly do paths in the city and occasionally hop over curbs and stuff so I don't really need a suspension fork. Following that reason I would now be looking for a very basic bike with a good frame that are ready for upgrading components later down the road, namely a rigid bike. Are there anything like this in the market anymore?

hahahaha... Good luck on that one dude. :facepalm:

But yes rigid mountain bikes do exist. I dont know why you would want one though, why not just buy a cyclocross bike? Or buy a hardtail so you can still get a stiff bike with more options.

EDIT: or if you are looking for a frame to upgrade later on, again dont buy a dept. store bike. EVERYTHING will be off from an aftermarket perspective. Often you cant even put better pedals on due to the thread pitch.
That and its WAYYY cheaper to just buy a complete (and better and already upgraded) new bike. Even when you are upgrading a good bike. If you want to change the whole drive-train, you are looking almost at the cost of a new bike.

Khyron
12-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Have the wheel true'd for 20 bucks at any bike shop. Replacing it probably isn't worth it. Most wheels you buy on their own will cost more than your bike. It won't be perfect but usable.

I have both the whip and the shimano nut if you still want it off, in Riverbend though.

swak
12-24-2011, 01:42 AM
... I think I took your last post out of context now after rereading (or hope). It was spend no more than 100 on your current bike right? Not your new bike?

Cos
12-24-2011, 01:43 AM

swak
12-24-2011, 02:48 AM
... How is road racing not fast enough? A crit will be far faster paced and more exhilarating than any cross race, imo... But I'm also biased :D

And no worries dude, I grew up going to Roy and Almeida's shop, and still drop by and buy the odd thing in respect for their business even though I can get myself the same thing much cheaper. Yes... That's how good they are.
I've never dealt with ed personally before, but I'd assume he does great work from what I've heard in the community.

..OP though, you've got sooo many options for what to do, unfortunately your best bet is probably buying a new bike or trueing your existing wheel or buying a new wheel (which wouldn't be much more than a service job, fyi).

And Cos: back to racing, my suggestion if you have a cross bike and want to get into it is to join the midweek mayhem cross races (also crits) and see what you like.
Its competitive, but its also not something to push yourself over the edge for. Its for training not for "winning/losing".... And then get your ABA lic.
But I'd strongly encourage either.

ZZT23
12-24-2011, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by swak
... I think I took your last post out of context now after rereading (or hope). It was spend no more than 100 on your current bike right? Not your new bike?

Yes the $100 was referring to repairing the costco bike. I know the basic mountain bike from a bike shop cost around $500. My previous $100 bike was a Canadian Tire product that weighed 40 lbs.

Cos
12-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by swak
... How is road racing not fast enough? A crit will be far faster paced and more exhilarating than any cross race, imo... But I'm also biased :D

I cant make it go fast enough :P

swak
12-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Haha... I bet once you get on the road you'd be able to go a lot faster than you think. I even still surprise myself sometimes.