PDA

View Full Version : Custom Paint

BigYellowMonkey
01-28-2004, 12:43 PM
This paint is for a model car that I'm getting in the next week or so. It's a white MKIV Toyota Supra.

The color I had in mind is a platinum/gunmetal grey, with a royal blue flake/pearl. I'm wondering where i could get a small amount of custom paint like this mixed for me.

The base color i had in mind is similar to VW's platinum grey, except darker, and then with a royal blue flake or pearl....

http://www3.telus.net/teamsuperstar/jetta.jpg

The only thing I've been able to come up with is the possibility of going to Canadian Tire, or somewhere similar, and buying a spray can of touchup paint for a vehicle of this color (such as a VW Jetta like in the pic above), but I did want it darker, and I don't want to be fooling around with mixing in black paint and then ruining the rest of my paint. Especially not if its in a spray can.

Any ideas?

-Biggie!

missblondie
01-28-2004, 01:33 PM
do they do that at that place on 32nd... that pm hobby craft or whatever?

BigYellowMonkey
01-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Not sure... I'll check it out. 32nd Ave NE you mean?

I changed my mind about color though. I was looking on Acura's site, and damn did i find a nice color... "Carbon Gray Pearl". Get the carbon grey base, or something like it, with a blue pearl overtop, and then a shitload of clearcoat over that.

http://www.acura.com/assets/acura/carshot/tsx/2004/carshot_tsx_2004_carbongray_NH-658P.jpg

Gorgeous.

Anyone else know of anywhere that would do it? If i could get it mixed and put (somehow) in a spray can, that'd be awesome too, as I don't have an airbrush. And it looks way more even if its not brushed on.

-Biggie!

missblondie
01-28-2004, 01:53 PM
ya, 32nd ave NE... it is in that strip mall with princess auto i think

CRX-R
01-28-2004, 01:55 PM
princess auto moved. They've got a big place closer to McKnight now. Still carrying nothing just junk... but in a nicer store now!:rolleyes:

missblondie
01-28-2004, 02:16 PM
oh ya.. i heard that too, and there is no access to it from mcnight so customers can't get to it. (but you are right.. that place is junk)

ZorroAMG
01-28-2004, 03:51 PM
PM Hobbycraft..

Dude, if you build lots of models, you should invest in an airbrush, I make ALL my own custom colors for the RC bodies I painted when I raced a lot....it's a great way to get exactly the color you want...

I painted my RC body to match my car for world of wheels in NO time at all and it was a near perfect match:

http://www.nemonis.net/Ghanime/MiniMe.JPG

BigYellowMonkey
01-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Hey man, wanna mix up some paint for me? I want like that Acura Carbon Gray with a blue pearl overtop. :D

It's actually an RC car with a plastic body, but supposedly if I use oven cleaner and wipe it off quickly, it won't hurt the plastic but will take the paint right off. And then i put a little bit of primer, a couple thin layers of base coat, some pearl, and then a shitload of clearcoat. I'm thinking about doing a blue flake instead, but I'm not sure if they make a blue flake (I've only ever seen gold flake), and i'm also not sure how expensive it would be vs. pearl, etc.

Anyone have some insight? I'm not big into these cars, this is the first one i've ever bought.

Thanks,

-Biggie!

///M3
01-28-2004, 09:55 PM
do you make the body of the RC, or you bought it like that?

ZorroAMG
01-28-2004, 10:10 PM
bit of both...;)