PDA

View Full Version : Classic car insurance, where to find? Criteria?

Redlyne_mr2
12-20-2011, 07:27 PM
So I'm buying a 35 year old vehicle that's going to be driven very very occassionally. Where do I find classic car insurance? What is their criteria? Can I get special registration through registries?

I've heard that classic car insurance can cost as little as several hundred dollars per year.

thanks

That.Guy.S30
12-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Classic car insurance you can only drive a set number of KMS a year and has limitations (car shows, etc). IMHO its not worth it unless your car is appraised at a high value. My S30 is 50 bucks a month FULL coverage and I can drive it anytime, anywhere. I am with TD MM. For older cars they do require a safety inspection.

You also get a special plate. I believe Classic is 25 years or older.

Tik-Tok
12-20-2011, 08:43 PM
http://www.competition.ca/

From my email

The policy does have a couple of restrictions which include: 1) All drivers must be licensed for 10 years or more, and 2) the vehicle is not a daily driver getting to and from work or business.

The policy coverage includes: $2 Million Liability, Accident Benefits/Family Protection, $100 deductible Collision, $100 deductible Comprehensive, SEF 19A Valued Vehicle endorsement (insures vehicle for appraised value without depreciation), $7500 Spare Parts, $1500 Towing (flat deck) and there is no mileage restriction.

The coverage is the same for the Silver Wheel or Custom Wheel Plans. Most vehicles are now able to fit under the Silver Wheel Plan as long as the vehicle is not completely modified.

Masked Bandit
12-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Your regular auto insurance provider may very well have a classic car program available. That would be your first contact. After that you can try a place called Legends Insurance.

Edit: I also forgot about Competition Insurance.

Abeo
12-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Your regular auto insurance provider may very well have a classic car program available. That would be your first contact. After that you can try a place called Legends Insurance.

Have you dealt with Hagerty insurance? They are apparently underwritten by aviva.

Masked Bandit
12-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Abeo

Have you dealt with Hagerty insurance? They are apparently underwritten by aviva.

We technically have access to them (you are right about them being a division of Aviva) but because I personally don't know a whole lot about classic cars I tend to stay away from the insurance end. A specialty situation like this deserves the attention of an insurance broker that knows that stuff inside out & backwards and that's just not me.

friedn00dles
12-21-2011, 10:15 AM
i refuse to write any more business with Hagerty through Aviva Elite. I've had 2 theft claims this year and both have ended poorly for the customer due to the incompetence of the Adjusting firms used by Aviva Elite.

If you are with Intact, just add it your current policy under their classic car program. If not, as other's have mentioned go with Legend's Insurance (AXA Pacific Insurance which is also now apart of Intact Insurance)

84stock
01-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Both my Rx7's are insured with Competition Insurance.

They are awesome.

I compared several different classic insurance offerings and nothing compared. They have the least restrictions of all!

As mentioned earlier
The policy does have a couple of restrictions which include: 1) All drivers must be licensed for 10 years or more, and 2) the vehicle is not a daily driver getting to and from work or business.

That's it! You do have to demonstrate that you have a daily driver insured and get an appraisal.

I pay $120/year per car.

I could drive mine more, but I only put under 5000 km/year per car if I'm luck.

J-hop
01-07-2012, 10:46 AM
^ do you know if they have any sort of restrictions on claims etc, is it limited coverage? Also did you get your car appraised before insuring and if you did and don't mind giving out this info what is the ballpark appraised value that you pay 120/year for.

My new project car has had a full body resto already and will get a new engine so I definitely don't want to be insured for book value!

Graham_A_M
01-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Hmmm, I'll have to check into Competition insurance, they seem pretty damn good.

84stock
01-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
^ do you know if they have any sort of restrictions on claims etc, is it limited coverage? Also did you get your car appraised before insuring and if you did and don't mind giving out this info what is the ballpark appraised value that you pay 120/year for.

My new project car has had a full body resto already and will get a new engine so I definitely don't want to be insured for book value!

No idea on claims restrictions, but deductible is very low

One is appraised at $9100 and the other is $14000. Appraisals cost $200 each

J-hop
01-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by 84stock

No idea on claims restrictions, but deductible is very low

One is appraised at $9100 and the other is $14000. Appraisals cost $200 each

Ok that sounds pretty good then, do you by chance know if they care if you've modified the car? I want to run an engine from a car 20+ years newer for driveability and fun factor for the odd time I do drive the car but in doing so it will be heavily modified and may fall in the "modified for speed" category since the newer engine puts down 150 more hp.

G-ZUS
04-02-2012, 08:04 PM
I am currently debating whether to get classic insurance or normal insurance for my car. $~1100 for full coverage through my regular insurance company or $105 for full coverage through Hagerty but can not drive the vehicle as a daily driver to work and back. I haven't been licensed for 10 years but apparently they can pull through for me as I've had a clean record.

Has anyone insured through Hagerty? Has anyone had to file a claim through them?