PDA

View Full Version : Oris Serce

LLLimit
12-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Looks like my 4 month old Oris diver just died into its 2 year warranty :(
I called the Canada service center in Toronto, and they don't handle Oris work anymore, my option is to go to Massachusetts.

Short of going through custom, filling forms, and sending to the States, what options do I have in Calgary and/or Alberta?
I realize I have to pay out of my pocket if it's not an authorized service center

Pacman
12-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Where did you buy the watch? Was it a local brick and mortar store? If so, I would take it back and let them handle everything for you.

You could take it to have Joe at Sears in Chinook Center watch repair, or Andre at the Swiss Watch clinic on 14th street and 17th Ave SW and pay out of pocket, but that will probably be expensive and annoying on a new watch.

LLLimit
12-21-2011, 10:44 AM
It was a brick/mortar store, authorized dealer.. in Malaysia
:(

statick
12-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Given that the problem could be lengthy and expensive, I'd deal with Oris. Try talking to someone else at the Toronto service centre, it's rather peculiar that they won't service a watch under warranty. Otherwise, I'd send it to Massachusetts.

Best luck.

bart
12-21-2011, 07:00 PM
i had to get an oris fixed, took it to swiss watch clinic, however i sourced my own parts. the gay place in toronto wouldn't sell me parts unless they fixed it. i got parts from europe for cheap and he did the work :thumbsup:

LLLimit
12-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by statick
Given that the problem could be lengthy and expensive, I'd deal with Oris. Try talking to someone else at the Toronto service centre, it's rather peculiar that they won't service a watch under warranty. Otherwise, I'd send it to Massachusetts.

Best luck.
They're no longer affiliated with the ORIS Service Centre. I offered to ship to Toronto and pay out of my own, and he was instructed not to touch ORIS anymore for some reason. Massachusetts is my next closest option.

Originally posted by bart
i had to get an oris fixed, took it to swiss watch clinic, however i sourced my own parts. the gay place in toronto wouldn't sell me parts unless they fixed it. i got parts from europe for cheap and he did the work :thumbsup:
What was the the job & cost to it?

I knew I should have spent the extra $ for a Submariner
:thumbsdow

Pacman
12-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Doesn't Oris have a worldwide warranty?

You should be able to take it to any local Oris dealer, and have them send it to the service center (either to Boston or maybe Switzerland).

Have you contacted Oris about your options?

If you decide to service it locally, you can probably buy a brand new movement for that watch for less than $100 and have it installed. Does it have the ETA or the Sellita movement in it?

LLLimit
12-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Movement: Automatic winding small second, date. Developed by Oris.
Number: Oris 643, base ETA 2836-2

Where would I get an ORIS-ETA movement?
I don't think an off the shelf 2836-2 will fit.

I'll give the HQ a call/email.
My motivation crashed when the Toronto office directed me to Mass.

Pacman
12-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Any ETA 2836-2 movement will fit in there, like a glove. Oris doesn't do anything to those movements, except slap a red rotor on it.

Here is one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rado-automatic-movement-ETA-2836-2-date-6-NEW-swiss-made-/220906980822?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336f1505d6

I would explore the factory service option first. It's going to be expensive buy, shipping and installing movements.

Scat E46
12-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I can tell you why Grigoros in toronto no longer touches Oris.

Oris pulled their contract because they made the company look bad, their turn around time on repair and new orders was really slow.

Take it to any authorized retailer, they can ship it for you, but you'll have to pay.

LLLimit
01-16-2012, 03:02 PM
looks like Maxine's in Chinook mall is an authorized ORIS dealer and was more than happy to take care of shipping my watch to Mass.
:clap:

bmeier
01-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Pacman
Any ETA 2836-2 movement will fit in there, like a glove. Oris doesn't do anything to those movements, except slap a red rotor on it.

Here is one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rado-automatic-movement-ETA-2836-2-date-6-NEW-swiss-made-/220906980822?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336f1505d6

I would explore the factory service option first. It's going to be expensive buy, shipping and installing movements.

its actually really easy changing movements, i have done it before and its no more than 20 minutes. servicing a movement and repairing actual parts is the difficult part.

LLLimit
04-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Finally got it back.
It took 3 months and needless to say I'm less than impressed it took this long.

Is this normal for other manufacturers?

ercchry
04-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by LLLimit
Finally got it back.
It took 3 months and needless to say I'm less than impressed it took this long.

Is this normal for other manufacturers?

my uncle dropped his pam on its face and a hand fell off, im pretty sure it took over 3 months

bmeier
04-26-2012, 09:27 PM
3 months to.put a hand back on? That literally takes 10 minutes. Any watch place could do that

LLLimit
05-03-2012, 11:35 AM
So my case back came lose a couple days from being warranty work in Massachusetts. I was able to completely take it off and now it's just hand tightened. I'm not even sure there's a gasket in there.

Called Oris Watches USA and he just absolved himself/the company of any responsibility and told me to send it back to the service centre. Is it me, or am I wrong to expect a little more responsibility from a business that has my money for a watch 7months into its 2year warranty.

Luckily for me, there's a new authorized service centre in Montreal. Unluckily for me, I have to spend more money to ship it over.

Good looking watch :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
http://www.friendsoforis.com/store/Diver-Titan-C-Small-Second-Date-47mm.html

Oris Watches USA Inc. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow