PDA

View Full Version : To Transfer or Not To Transfer?

dj_patm
12-21-2011, 09:18 PM
So I'm one semester and two classes plus my directed field studies (basically a required co-op) away from finishing my Applied Bachelor of International Business and Supply Chain Management at MRU. I can transfer into the BBA - General Management if I want to and do an additional 10 courses on top of what I have left, but I don't really think its worth it?

I've already got two years of work experience in my field (well one year of actual experience and then a leave of absence from my job to finish my degree but hey, why be specific ;)) and I'll have even more after I'm done my DFS which is basically another year of experience (Going to keep my options open for that. I can either do it at the job that is giving me the leave, or some where else. A lot of people getting hired into O&G for their DFS which I would prefer over my current job) so I'm thinking that should negate any difference regarding the attractiveness of my resume and whether I have the applied degree or the BBA?

What do you guys think? Is it worth doing the 10 classes for the BBA and losing out on the directed field studies or should I just finish my applied degree, take the experience and go with that?

To me it seems like an obvious decision but maybe you guys have some good input on something I might not realize?

Type_S1
12-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Try to transfer to U of C :dunno:

:goflames:

dj_patm
12-21-2011, 09:29 PM
I could've gotten into UofC originally but there wasn't really any incentive as the program I took at MRU had 100% employment in the field and if I remember correctly the same average starting salaries 1st year out (maybe a little lower but not much) as UofC.

Me being that slacker I am, why work harder for the same end result :D

Type_S1
12-21-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm just kidding around...just had to poke the bear

I have no clue about your program but a general rule is more education(as long as it is relevant) and the better the school the more you will get paid. If the extra education will get you something better I would do it because it should lead to more pay.

Your program might be an odd one out though so I am not too sure...just say the general gist of things.

magicalpoop
12-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Having an actual degree over an applied one may change how much you deserve to get paid initially.

It will also help in the long run if you ever desire to go for professional certifications or a MBA, a full degree is required for those.

finboy
12-22-2011, 02:34 PM
I just graduated with both.

The applied degree will get you credit for 4 of the 8 required modules for the SCMP designation. From what I've heard from employers, it is about a 50/50 split on recognition of either degree. The bba Also requires 10 more courses, and a LOT of them are open option BS. Both degrees are recognized I'd you want to go with a masters program, but the supply chain industry, especially oil and gas, are just starting to recognize the value of SCM related degrees. Traditionally experience trumps all, so your prior experience does help out a lot. You can also get credit for one of your DFS courses through the PLAR program, it costs about half as much but the chair of the program has to allow it (your experience has to be deemed relevant). The PLAR is a presentation and report showing what you learned about SCM in your job.

You can't go wrong with either really, but at the end of the day, networking will do way more than graduating. Pm me if you want more info on either of the programs.