PDA

View Full Version : Renewing Passport from Abroad?

Babaganoosh
12-22-2011, 04:13 AM
My passport will soon have less than the six months validity required by many/most countries so I will need to get a new one from outside of Canada. I thought about replacing it before I left but it still had about 20 months on it and apparently needs to be under a year to renew.

Has anyone done this? I am in India right now and will be trying to get this done in Mumbai. Any ideas on a time frame and if it can be done express like it can from within Canada?

davidI
12-22-2011, 04:27 AM
I had to have a passport replaced in Bangkok due to the theft (due to my own poor choices) and it took 3 weeks. They could get me a temp to get back into Canada in 2 days, but for a legitimate passport, it took 3 weeks, and I needed to have someone in Canada take in evidence to the Calgary passport office. Also took me 4 or 5 visits to the office....consulates don't tend to work long hours and are not always as helpful as you'd hope. A HUGE hassle to put it bluntly.

cancer man
12-22-2011, 04:58 AM
It's a commonwealth country 6 to 8 weeks see the embassy.

Babaganoosh
12-22-2011, 05:17 AM
Ya, embassy and consulate have shit hours that are even more shit during the holiday week and ill be out of communication for the next while.

6-8 weeks could be trouble, im supposed to be in sri lanka in 4.

davidI
12-22-2011, 05:56 AM
I just got back from a month in Sri Lanka. Let me know if you want tips.

Babaganoosh
12-22-2011, 06:06 AM
Tips always welcome, pm please. Cheers