PDA

View Full Version : Prime Rib Rubs

BrknFngrs
12-24-2011, 03:55 PM
I've been tasked with cooking prime rib for boxing day and I need some suggestions on some great rubs to put on it in advance to give it some good flavour.

The browsing around I've done online seems to suggest just using coarse salt and black pepper but that seems so basic. Can anyone suggest some other good alternatives or is basic salt and pepper the answer?

ekguy
12-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Coarse salt and the right pepper should definitely be the only necessity.

Things like prime rib are so good when done simply and cooked properly.

dj_rice
12-24-2011, 04:57 PM
You could do some garlic powder. Or even better, put some cuts into the rib itself and shove in garlic cloves in the cuts.

BrknFngrs
12-24-2011, 05:24 PM
It sounds like simple is the answer, thanks guys.

Guess I've been watching too much Diners, Drive-In's and Dives where they seem to cover everything completely in different rubs before cooking it.

USED1
12-24-2011, 06:02 PM
I usually do mine with dijon mustard, crushed garlic, salt and pepper.

jdmakkord
12-24-2011, 07:11 PM
I always go with fresh rosemary garlic salt and pepper.

BrknFngrs
12-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Do any of you guys leave the spices on for any significant period of time prior to cooking? (ie: spice it the day before, etc)

ekguy
12-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Too many spices and some may get drowned out by others.

USED1
12-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Just leave it on the counter so it comes to room temp, rub and place in oven at high heat for ~25 minutes then turn down and cook to desired doneness.

dj_rice
12-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
Do any of you guys leave the spices on for any significant period of time prior to cooking? (ie: spice it the day before, etc)

You can if you want. Just makes the interior taste better. More penetration.

But make sure you leave the salting of the meat to the day of the cooking or at least 1-2 hours before cooking. Salt draws out moisture out of things so if you pre-salt, all the juices of the meat will come out. Most chefs leave the salting of meat to the very last minute before cooking.

ekguy
12-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

You can if you want. Just makes the interior taste better. More penetration.

But make sure you leave the salting of the meat to the day of the cooking or at least 1-2 hours before cooking. Salt draws out moisture out of things so if you pre-salt, all the juices of the meat will come out. Most chefs leave the salting of meat to the very last minute before cooking.

would really like to try this.

:drool:

BrknFngrs
12-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the points on cooking from room temp and salting just prior to baking; both make complete sense, but I wouldn't have thought of either one.

jdmakkord
12-25-2011, 11:27 AM
After you are done, strain the drippings into a sauce pan. Add some beer and a chunk of butter then reduce it down.

BlackRadon
12-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Getting it up to room temp is key. We are doing a prime rib this year also! Yorkshire pudding is where it's at! Good luck with it.

dj_rice
12-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by BlackRadon
Getting it up to room temp is key. We are doing a prime rib this year also! Yorkshire pudding is where it's at! Good luck with it.

Theres so many factors to cooking meat. I believe the getting it up to room temp thing is so that the whole interior/exterior of the meat is the same temperature going into the oven so it cooks evenly. Cause if you don't, the outside is room temp, but the inside is still the refridgerator temp so interior will be very rare or cold.

2nd tip is if you are desiring a medium rare doneness, take it out of the oven, 5-10 minutes before its supposed to be done as once you take it, the residual heat inside and out will continue cooking the meat and therefore will not create the doneness you want.

3rd tip, after you take it out of the oven, let the meat rest 10-15 mins so the juices recirculate themselves back into the meat. Ever cook steak and right after you BBQ it and cut into it, your plate is full of juices?The resting time allows the juices to go back into the meat.

r3ccOs
12-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Its a baked Ribeye... which has in itself lots of flavor...

I've done various rubs, even smoked it... and at the end of the day, nothing better than just kosher salt lightly rubbed all around in generous amount to crust over on the fat cap.

Its seriously the easiest roast to cook... "I" simply put a "close too rom temp" 3-4 bone roast it in the oven anywhere from 300-325 and cook till temp reaches an internal 125f the middle

then pull it out, take it off the roasting tray, and into the microwave to rest and finish

I then get rid of the fat in the pan, and deglaze to make a au jus w/ a Chardoney

keep a bit of the fat to use in the try you'll use for your yorkshires and that's about it.